{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time to vote for Chad Stags Player of the Year

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Time to vote for Chad Stags Player of the Year

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Mansfield Town League Appearances
Farrend Rawson 40(0)
Jordan Bowery 35(3)
George Maris 34(1)
Harry Charsley 32(6)
Jamie Reid 28(6)
Ryan Sweeney 28(3)
Kellan Gordon 27(2)
James Perch 26(1)
Mal Benning 25(7)
Ollie Clarke 25(5)
Marek Stech 23(1)
George Lapslie 22(2)

Total Points Gained Per Player Start
Farrend Rawson 43
Jordan Bowery 42
George Maris 41
Harry Charsley 38
Jamie Reid 35
Kellan Gordon 34
Mal Benning 32
Ryan Sweeney 33
George Lapslie 31
Marek Stech 29
Ollie Clarke 27
James Perch 25
Stephen McLaughlin 24

Average Points Per Player Start
George Lapslie 1.41
Mal Benning 1.28
Kellan Gordon 1.26
Marek Stech 1.26
Jamie Reid 1.25
Andy Cook 1.25
George Maris 1.21
Jordan Bowery 1.21
Harry Charsley 1.19
Ryan Sweeney 1.18
George Maris 1.12
Farrend Rawson 1.08
Ollie Clarke 1.08
James Perch 1.0
Stephen Quinn 1.0
Stephen McLaughlin 0.96
Aidan Stone 0.94
Jason Law 0.91
Nicky Maynard 0.89
Rollin Menayese 0.8
Corey O'Keeffe 0.57
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:54 pm

League Wins (Starts)
Jordan Bowery 9
Jamie Reid 8
George Maris 8
Farrend Rawson 8
George Lapslie 7
Harry Charsley 7
Mal Benning 7
Kellan Gordon 7
Ollie Clarke 6

League Win Rate
George Lapslie 31.8%
Jamie Reid 28.6%
Mal Benning 28%
Jordan Bowery 25.7%
Kellan Gordon 25.9%
Ryan Sweeney 25%
Ollie Clarke 24%
George Maris 23.5%
Farrend Rawson 20%
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:35 pm

Because of amount of games played and being much improved Jordan Bowery
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:36 pm

It’s all just statistics..... percentage’s,calculations & opinions on what has been a very poor season...
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:All opinions of course but the fact Rawson is being mentioned in a player of the season discussion boggles the mind. Was an absolute liability first half of the season, and since Clough has come in has taken the step up to 'average'. :lol:

So I assume you wouldn't keep him next season then? Clearly we need better than "average". It is likely you'll be in a very small club who does not think we should keep Rawson next season :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pm

i’ll keep my powder dry until these super stars keep my beloved club outta non league first
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Theres only one player that can win this and thats Lapslie.Even injured, he's still better than the rest put together.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby sw19stag » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm

Bang on Al.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 pm

George Lapslie has been below his best in his last four games since his return from injury.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:George Lapslie has been below his best in his last four games since his return from injury.

He has, and has only played half the games. No doubt he is one of our best players and was superb for us prior to his injury, but for me player of the year is judged over the entire season and playing just half of it just doesn't, for me, make him a contender. As I said earlier though, this is very much a subjective decision, each of us will have our own definition of player of the year and people should not be swayed by average ratings which again are a subjective opinion on a game.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 pm

I’m going to vote for Jimmy Knowles. He’s been our best player this season :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 pm

Rob wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:All opinions of course but the fact Rawson is being mentioned in a player of the season discussion boggles the mind. Was an absolute liability first half of the season, and since Clough has come in has taken the step up to 'average'. :lol:

So I assume you wouldn't keep him next season then? Clearly we need better than "average". It is likely you'll be in a very small club who does not think we should keep Rawson next season :D

Farrend Rawson has been better than "average" since Nigel Clough arrived. He's been one of our most consistent players and the only two below average performances were against Cambridge at home and Harrogate away.

I've got him down for being partly responsible for 9 goals under Nigel Clough and some of those may be a bit harsh:

Col U (Home) - Allowed Luke Norris to run behind him but Kellan Gordon also did not track back and Marek Stech came charging out of his goal.
Crawley (Home) - Ball went over his head for Max Watters' 2nd goal but Kellan Gordon should have been covering behind. Marek Stech way off his line.
Grimsby (Home) - Pushed in the back by Onura Edwards which ref did not spot
Scunthorpe (Away) - Scored an own goal
Col U (Away) - Frank Nouble's shot deflected off his boot past Stone. Should he have blocked the shot? Unlucky?
Cambridge (Home) - Should have blocked Harvey Knibbs' shot in last minute along with Ryan Sweeney but game was over.
Harrogate (Away) - Poor defensive header along with Ryan Sweeney which allowed Aaron Martin to score
Bradford (Away) - Beaten to a header on edge of area by Canavan but Jordan Bowery should have been marking Danny Rowe and cleared it. Only header he lost all night. Played well.
Crawley (Away) - Caught slightly up the pitch at throw in but Kellan Gordon and Marek Stech should have prevented the goal
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:48 am

If the trophy was awarded to Stech he'd probably drop it :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 am

Kellan Gordon has been mentioned several times in goals conceded.He has been a liability at right back.We need more reliable players than him for next season.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 am

Fully or partly to blame for goals conceded

Goals Conceded 2020-2021 (League Goals Only)
Farrend Rawson 16 (7 playing in a back 3 under GC)
Ryan Sweeney 11 (3 in a back 3 under GC)
Kellan Gordon 11
Marek Stech 10
Jordan Bowery 7
Stephen McLaughlin 7
James Perch 6
George Maris 6
Mal Benning 5
Aidan Stone 5
Rollin Menayese 4 (4 in a back 3 under GC)
Harry Charsley 4
Corey O'Keeffe 2
Ollie Clarke 2
George Lapslie 2
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Fully or partly to blame for goals conceded

Goals Conceded 2020-2021 (League Goals Only)
Farrend Rawson 16 (7 playing in a back 3 under GC)
Ryan Sweeney 11 (3 in a back 3 under GC)
Kellan Gordon 11
Marek Stech 10
Jordan Bowery 7
Stephen McLaughlin 7
James Perch 6
George Maris 6
Mal Benning 5
Aidan Stone 5
Rollin Menayese 4 (4 in a back 3 under GC)
Harry Charsley 4
Corey O'Keeffe 2
Ollie Clarke 2
George Lapslie 2

Player of the season :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Got to be Bowery. Got all sorts of stick by some on here early on in season. Turned out to be the main man up front. And a decent season to be fair
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:Rawson for me, who interestingly is in Martins below average group :lol: I think he has had an outstanding end to the season, very consistent - Bowery a close second, he just needs a goal scoring strike partner.

I don't think we've had a single outstanding player, some have played well in patches but over the whole season its really hard to pick one.

and the fans average too. I suspect you have blocked out the first half of the season.

Not at all, very few have had consistent seasons but your ratings appear to suggest he has been below average for the season as a whole, which I would dispute. Rawson appears in many people's thoughts for overall player of the year, as does Bowery who made an equally poor start to the season. Well done to both of them for making such a significant improvement and I am sure many will take that into consideration when making their vote, it was an important factor for me anyway :D

as I've pointed out, the fans ratings collated by eggy, is the same. Are they all wrong?

Perhaps Pete can give us the average ratings for Rawson for the first half of the season and the last half.

As requested these numbers are the average of both the Fans and Martin's scores. There is very little difference between Martin's scores and the Fans in Eggy's survey.

The team average score with GC as manager was 6.12 and after GC was 6.80.

Rawson was 5.75 before and 6.85 after. So way below average under GC and just above average after GC left.
Bowery is similar 5.55 before and 6.86 after
while Lapslie is more worthy of the award with scores of 6.12 before (bang on average) but 7.11 after (way above average)

while Maris is 6.02(below average) before and 6.99 after
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:00 pm

Harry Charsley has been involved in plenty of goals by the way, on my list I have him down for 9 goal involvements and I am sure he has scored about 5 as well?

Played out of position for pretty much the whole season, been really poor since signing a new contract though.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 pm

If we are talking about just after GC went and basing it on who has started at least two thirds of the games since GC went.

Then the player with the highest average points score (Martin's and Eggy Fan's scores combined) is George Maris with 6.99pts

Lapslie, Quinn, Perch and Sinclair have scored higher but not started enough games.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:07 pm

thanks Pete. As I expected about Rawson, and fits with my memory of how the season has gone. Everyone makes up their own mind, but just to ignore the first part of the season in a player of the season competition doesn't make sense to me.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:20 pm

Hard one, but Sir Mal for his service to the club and feel this will be his last season with us.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:31 pm

I’ve gone with Bowery.

I don’t think he is our best player, but he has outperformed what I though we would be capable of. His goals and assists have kept us up. I’m sure we could have found a striker who would have scored more goals but that’s not his problem. He has also played a lot of minutes and more than likely played through niggles and fatigue.

Maris 2nd, Perch 3rd, Lapslie 4th.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:34 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:thanks Pete. As I expected about Rawson, and fits with my memory of how the season has gone. Everyone makes up their own mind, but just to ignore the first part of the season in a player of the season competition doesn't make sense to me.

Except for those who want to vote for Rawson :lol: We don't have a most improved award, that's why Rawson gets it for me, I am struggling to see why you cannot understand that reasoning. People have voted for Bowery for precisely the same reason. Voting for either of those two makes just as much sense (if not more) as voting for someone who has barely played half the season ......
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:thanks Pete. As I expected about Rawson, and fits with my memory of how the season has gone. Everyone makes up their own mind, but just to ignore the first part of the season in a player of the season competition doesn't make sense to me.

Except for those who want to vote for Rawson :lol: We don't have a most improved award, that's why Rawson gets it for me, I am struggling to see why you cannot understand that reasoning. People have voted for Bowery for precisely the same reason. Voting for either of those two makes just as much sense (if not more) as voting for someone who has barely played half the season ......

If you're looking at the improved player of the season, then Rawson and Bowery are the top two. I would completely agree with that.

In my opinion, that is not what a player of the season is. But everyone can have their own opinion on how to define it and vote accordingly. In my opinion, the first 10 games a player plays count as much as the last 10 games he plays. And it comes down to who has been the best player overall, taking everything into account. I'm not telling anyone how to vote, just saying how I decide my choice.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum