{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

National League vote on whether to continue

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: National League vote on whether to continue

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 pm

What happens if the 7 that voted to end the season say they cannot afford to play without entering administration? I am assuming, rightly or wrongly, that you cannot compete in the National League if you are in administration?

If so, do these clubs have a legal claim against the National League?

I am glad that Brian Berwick is at the National League has never held the reins of a well run English FA that is strong enough to fight for all clubs and not a moneyed six. Oh wait...........

A very sorry state of affairs there indeed.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I still think their season will fold as a number of clubs will refuse to play. Dover have already said they will stop and around 6 others are expected to join them.

The National League won’t even publish the David Bernstein report in funding allocation to the clubs so what chance have the clubs got.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm

National League North: Bad news for the top two Gloucester City and AFC Fylde. Good news for the bottom three Guiseley, Alfreton Town and Blyth Spartans. York City are 8th and not happy about the decision. Paul Cox's Kettering Town are 18th but no doubt Coxy was planning his usual good run of wins in the second half of the season.

National League South: Bad news for Dorking who are 5 points clear at the top of the league with a game in hand. Good news for Welling, Slough and Braintree at the bottom.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 pm

adamstag wrote:If they don’t have relegations in their competition they shouldn’t have promotion
I agree, some teams are threatening to furlough their senior players and just play the youngsters. Surely that will lose all credibility of the league. The FA should block any National League clubs being promoted to the EFL.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 pm

adamstag wrote:If they don’t have relegations in their competition they shouldn’t have promotion

I agree. I think some of the teams near the bottom will now just furlough or release players and play the youth team. They cannot be relegated so they will look to save as much money on wages as possible. It will make the league a farce.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Id really feel for county if they stopped the season now.
I'd feel like playing the laughing policeman all day.

I'm not bitter, it's called karma.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 am

Random Hero wrote:Can’t see the National League finishing either to be honest, some clubs are a ridiculous amount of games behind in a season that already started late.

I think they will run it as far as they can and then go down the PPG route again.

Is it not an option to extend the season to allow for a little bit of extra time for the games to be played in May?

I've not been keeping tabs on it too much if I'm honest and don't know if that is viable.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:43 am

Stoney wrote:
Random Hero wrote:Can’t see the National League finishing either to be honest, some clubs are a ridiculous amount of games behind in a season that already started late.

I think they will run it as far as they can and then go down the PPG route again.

Is it not an option to extend the season to allow for a little bit of extra time for the games to be played in May?

I've not been keeping tabs on it too much if I'm honest and don't know if that is viable.

They’re already playing games up until 29th May and that’s before the play offs start.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:45 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Paul Cox's Kettering Town are 18th but no doubt Coxy was planning his usual good run of wins in the second half of the season.

I had a chat with Coxy (& John Ramshaw) on Tuesday night. He was really keen for the season to continue but obviously they couldn’t without the finances they were promised. Gutted for him and all the players and staff who will lose jobs now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am

Good news for Barnet and Dover as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:42 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Good news for Barnet and Dover as well.

Maybe but Dover could still have problems. The chair says they won’t complete anymore fixtures and the league say they will take action. Knowing the conference they could kick them out.

Dover probably need a few more to take a stand.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:43 am

"King’s Lynn Town look set to lock the gates at The Walks after next week’s two home matches. The Linnets have been told to carry on playing after National League clubs voted against a proposal to end the season because of the growing financial crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Lynn owner Stephen Cleeve is one of those owners who cannot finance his club without matchday income and so is preparing to shut up shop after the games against Barnet next Tuesday and Weymouth the following Saturday.

“Next week’s games will go ahead because we need to give the league time to sort some things out but after that I can’t see how we can continue,” he said. Even allowing for the income through live streaming of matches, Cleeve will be out of pocket by several thousand pounds for next week alone. “Carrying on is a pointless exercise,” he said.

A mix-up over the source of funding which enabled the season to begin in October has led to the current situation: the first three months of the season went ahead after loans via the National Lottery. Clubs assumed that would be the same for the start of 2021, but the government said an extension of grant aid was never agreed and that clubs would have to take out loans instead.

“Had I known at the start that the grants would have been taken away I would never have agreed to start the season.” said Cleeve. “ Why would I? If the other clubs want to pay my wage bill or give me £50,000 then I will happily play on,” said Cleeve. “Otherwise, having mucked up the smaller clubs they are now in danger of mucking themselves up.”

Dover chairman Jim Parmenter said: “We are clearly very disappointed that the National League seem to be sticking to their guns and applying rules of the competition with no proper awareness or consideration for the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in It is clear that the agenda is to finish the season at any cost." It is likely that Whites will see further charges being brought as they continue to be unable to fulfil games. Parmenter said “We do have a right to deny charges on a game-by-game basis, but with the cost of a personal hearing for each charge being £150, clearly this is an additional financial burden and limits our options. We will, however, make our submissions in writing, based on our firm belief that the failure of the National League to ensure the promised funding was made available has resulted in us taking the only possible action to avoid insolvency.”

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lyn ... er-7565532?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Think we’ll see more of this in the coming weeks.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm

"The Times is reporting that National League chairman Brian Barwick is to stand down. The news comes as a group of National League clubs are attempting to put forward a motion of no confidence in him & the National League Board."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 pm

Is that good or bad?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 am

It looks like Barnet Chairman, Tony Kleanthous, has made a complete mess of things this season. He's obviously getting some stick from Barnet fans. No wonder Loudmouth is not happy.

"Sadly, there are some who no longer follow us but just because they attended Underhill ten or more years ago think they have the right to abuse the good name of Barnet FC, the players, staff and management who are giving everything they can for our Club. I’m only interested in hearing from those that do turn up and do invest in the Football Club, not the twittering idiots whose sole intent is to reinvent the past and try and divide us."

Finance
"The government intervened and offered Clubs a grant (about £80k each per month) to commence so the League agreed to kick off in October at short notice. This caught us a bit off guard and unprepared. In January, the government suddenly withdrew its very generous grant support which was the only thing propping up most Clubs. A vote was called by the NL whether to end the season and the government introduced a loan backed survival fund in return for Clubs to finish the season. The North and South Clubs decided to end the season anyway whilst the NL Clubs voted to continue subject to receiving these government loans to cover their losses. The proposed loans were against the NL rules so in order for these to be considered the League agreed to extinguish relegation as it would not be fair for a Club without a loan to be relegated playing against teams propped up by the government funding."

2. Is there an update on the First Team squad, specifically the furloughing of players?

"We have put a small number of players on furlough when they have not been considered part of different manager's plans. This helps to support them and their families as best as possible during this pandemic and is not a reflection on their ability but more the different types of style that each manager wanted. We felt they should not be judged so have kept the matter private between the Club and each individual player and no announcements have been made."

4. What is your involvement in the recruitment of players, can you give us an insight into how the process works?

"It’s not always the individual that’s at fault and it can also be the team dynamic, selection or the system players are being asked to play in that doesn’t work so it’s important we recognise that our problems go beyond individual players. Having said that, I think I could have done a better job selecting players if I pulled names out of a hat than we have done since our relegation to the NL."

https://www.barnetfc.com/news/2021/apri ... questions/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 am

"The proposed loans were against the NL rules so in order for these to be considered the League agreed to extinguish relegation as it would not be fair for a Club without a loan to be relegated playing against teams propped up by the government funding."

I wonder if Southend or Grimsby will try and use this argument if they are relegated from the EFL. Not fair to to be replaced in the EFL by teams propped up by government funding...or National League not competitive because teams effectively dropped out.

I would...especially if the cheating Spireites or Notts County were promoted :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 am

I find it bizarre that you can legally furlough contracted players, just because you don’t deem them good enough to play.

I was under the impression the scheme was intended to support businesses that were unable to trade due to Gov restrictions.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:33 am

Beano wrote:I find it bizarre that you can legally furlough contracted players, just because you don’t deem them good enough to play.

I was under the impression the scheme was intended to support businesses that were unable to trade due to Gov restrictions.

Playing games without fans and no income due to restrictions surely falls into nor being able to trade.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 am

It does seem bizarre that you are allowed to furlough players and then sign new players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"The proposed loans were against the NL rules so in order for these to be considered the League agreed to extinguish relegation as it would not be fair for a Club without a loan to be relegated playing against teams propped up by the government funding."

I wonder if Southend or Grimsby will try and use this argument if they are relegated from the EFL. Not fair to to be replaced in the EFL by teams propped up by government funding...or National League not competitive because teams effectively dropped out.

I would...especially if the cheating Spireites or Notts County were promoted :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would certainly be worth a try!... Theres literally 10 teams in that league who are either playing for no reason (no motivation) or with half a team.
Should be no promotion or relegation... Very surprised there season wasnt ended months ago.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum