{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grecians scorefred sponsored by get back on a winning run .

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grecians scorefred sponsored by get back on a winning ru

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:33 pm

The One wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Good point that. Quinn was my MOM, thought he was fantastic again.

The whole midfield played well and that’s why we had the better of the play. Today, against Cheltenham, Tranmere, Forest Green etc we’ve had the better of the play despite being against teams near the top, and that’s due to us having one of the very best midfields in the league. Of course we all know that we have to improve in both boxes drastically to start winning more matches.

I thought Lapslie was poor today

He worked really hard and it would be interesting to see his stats but he looked like a player who has been out for long time
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:01 pm

:) Good result today

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 pm

He seems to have finally lost patience with some of the players.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 pm

bellwhiff wrote:He seems to have finally lost patience with some of the players.

He’s probably known from the start but couldn’t knock them down whilst he needed to squeeze results out. We’re now very long odds to go down and he can be more honest.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:15 pm

bellwhiff wrote:He seems to have finally lost patience with some of the players.

Yes he certainly has, and quite right to, also found his comment re the starting 11 in August very interesting. I just wonder how many are going to get shipped out.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:33 pm

That was a comment to see who will step up and who will be stepping out
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Agreed, there have been some guarded comments but also comments praising players which didn't hold up to examination. Tonight, the honest view of some of the players came out more clearly
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:57 pm

a decent assessment by their manager. he doesnt come across as an arse
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:04 pm

As others have said, he’ll have worked out quickly whos good enough and who isn’t, which is the vast majority of them.

Hardly like the players won’t know themselves though! just need to see just how many he can get rid of
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:22 pm

I thought it was a good performance by the Stags. I've watched Exeter a lot at home this season and I cannot remember a game where the likes of Matt Jay, Archie Collins, Jake Taylor, Josh Key and Ryan Bowman have been kept so quiet. The only real threat was Randell Williams when he came on as a sub.

Stephen Quinn (67 touches and 47 passes including 4 key passes) had another very good game. He was my MOM against both Tranmere and Orient and I could have given him MOM again but I thought Tyrese Sinclair had an excellent debut so I went for Tyrese. He was a nuisance all game, won free kicks, got two Exeter players booked, controlled the ball well and helped to link up play (76% pass success rate). It was a shame he could not score the winning goal when played in by Stephen Quinn but George Lapslie looked disappointed he had not squared it to him.

Ryan Sweeney was the pick of the defence and whoscored gave him MOM with a 7.8 followed by George Maris on 7.4, Stephen Quinn and Stephen McLaughlin on 7.3; and Farrend Rawson on 7.1. I thought Stephen McLaughlin (81 touches) had a good game particularly in the first half but Randell Williams beat him three times in the 2nd half. He made a great interception in the 2nd half which resulted in Quinn crossing and Sinclair claiming a penalty. Farrend Rawson was solid throughout heading the ball away (8 aerials won) but most of Exeter's attacks seemed to come down their right so Sweeney was the busier defender (11 aerials won, 5 clearances, 3 interceptions and 2 tackles). James Perch was a bit sloppy in the first half and got caught in possession by Jack Sparkes and beaten in the air by him from Collins' cross when Aidan Stone made a great save. He did though make a great block in the 2nd half when Randell Williams was weaving across the area.

Jordan Bowery worked hard as always and played the ball through to Ollie Clarke in the 1st half where Jake Taylor deflected Ollie's shot wide. George Maris screened the defence well and made the most passes and interceptions. He helped to keep Matt Jay quiet. Ollie Clarke got into the game more in the 2nd half and as NC said started to look his old self although not quite back to his best. George Lapslie was below his best and only had 37 touches of the ball although he nearly scored early on.

The slow crawl to safety continues. The Stags should be aiming to beat Newport on Friday night to wrap things up.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 pm

I see we won 0.8 to 0.4 xG at Exeter and are sixth in the xG table.

https://experimental361.com/2021/04/06/ ... -apr-2021/
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:18 pm

A good result clean sheet and a vital point picked up, sure is a lot of negative nelly"s or trolls around, once more a very good result, 9 pages, lets lose 13-14 pages so this means the club gets more interest when losing games, , there were 11 posts stating our poor we are before the game, to say it does not take long for the natives to get restless, is a understatement.
A appointment to provide stability, and to overhaul the foundations whilst improving the team this would require time and patience, with goals set for the future.
Are we as fans looking for positives this season, maintain our league status evaluate the squad and academy whilst improving results,
problems in both penalty areas is a fact, getting young players involved Law, Sinclair, Ward is a positive, also reducing the wage bill, having a plan for next season.
We will get back to the championship, and back to the Premier league in time, and will add to our trophy list which is small, and no major event.
To all the fans who have shared these moments, i feel your disappointment, meanwhile the rest of us will follow our present squad in search of maintaining our football league status
and watch our current manager mould a base on which we can build on, show his decisions in Jan were justified all though put to the test with injuries, waiting for the day we can relax because we are mathematically safe, and tension is part of football and this season is not over yet, all my hopes are on next season and a challenge for promotion, with a top ten finish expected, this would be progress. climbing the football ladder is well overdue, and i feel the club is going in the right direction, the players are on a learning curve.
my way or the highway, well played a good point , 6 games and 5 points wanted for our target of 50.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm

part time pete wrote:I see we won 0.8 to 0.4 xG at Exeter and are sixth in the xG table.

The XG data this season is providing sound support for what a few on here keep saying.

We are not far off a playoff side already. The main reason we are not already competing for a place is that we don’t score enough. The XG data shows that this is more to do with poor finishing than not creating chances.

We also concede more than we should, which is generally down to silly mistakes as opposed to being out played. In fact I can’t think of
Anyone out playing is since Clough came in?

We could plug a decent goalkeeper and a good striker into current side and be playoff contenders. I fancy Nigel will go beyond this and that’s why I fancy is to be right up there next season.

Talk of a complete overall is silly imo
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
part time pete wrote:I see we won 0.8 to 0.4 xG at Exeter and are sixth in the xG table.

The XG data this season is providing sound support for what a few on here keep saying.

We are not far off a playoff side already. The main reason we are not already competing for a place is that we don’t score enough. The XG data shows that this is more to do with poor finishing than not creating chances.

We also concede more than we should, which is generally down to silly mistakes as opposed to being out played. In fact I can’t think of

We could plug a decent goalkeeper and a good striker into current side and be playoff contenders. I fancy Nigel will go beyond this and that’s why I fancy is to be right up there next season.

Agreed, we have the signs of a good team, the midfield is as strong as its been for years, GK, Full back and Striker roles have let us down all season really.

Would be great to get some pace into this side as well.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Southend still have Barrow and Colchester to play, and while this is a good chance for a couple of wins, it would be at the expense of two teams currently worse off than us, while will leave us looking safer than before..
in theory
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:48 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

I tend to agree and so do ALL the bookmakers.
I have studied the odds before games and they seem to have us as favourites for almost all games we play since Clough has come in (home and away)
We were even slight favourite when we played top of the table home games v Cambridge and Cheltenham
We were favourites in most away games too including v Tranmere which was strange considering where Tranmere was in the table.
At Exeter the bookies had us as outsiders by a whole point though.
On Friday we also start favourites according to Bet365 (2.25 Stags v 3.25 Newport)
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm

bear 73 wrote:A good result clean sheet and a vital point picked up, sure is a lot of negative nelly"s or trolls around, once more a very good result, 9 pages, lets lose 13-14 pages so this means the club gets more interest when losing games, , there were 11 posts stating our poor we are before the game, to say it does not take long for the natives to get restless, is a understatement.
A appointment to provide stability, and to overhaul the foundations whilst improving the team this would require time and patience, with goals set for the future.
Are we as fans looking for positives this season, maintain our league status evaluate the squad and academy whilst improving results,
problems in both penalty areas is a fact, getting young players involved Law, Sinclair, Ward is a positive, also reducing the wage bill, having a plan for next season.
We will get back to the championship, and back to the Premier league in time, and will add to our trophy list which is small, and no major event.
To all the fans who have shared these moments, i feel your disappointment, meanwhile the rest of us will follow our present squad in search of maintaining our football league status
and watch our current manager mould a base on which we can build on, show his decisions in Jan were justified all though put to the test with injuries, waiting for the day we can relax because we are mathematically safe, and tension is part of football and this season is not over yet, all my hopes are on next season and a challenge for promotion, with a top ten finish expected, this would be progress. climbing the football ladder is well overdue, and i feel the club is going in the right direction, the players are on a learning curve.
my way or the highway, well played a good point , 6 games and 5 points wanted for our target of 50.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find bear's posts a tough read?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm

His formatting makes it hard to read his posts
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:32 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

Silly mistakes are the malaise of our whole defensive line on the whole. A new keeper would be hung out to dry the same as poor Aiden has this season. Sweens, Rawson, Gordon all are accidents waiting to happen. Nigel I think wants better as he knows they have no consistency, alluded as much in his post match. We should be looking for better than Bowery and Reid. Bowery again just does not pose enough poke up front for me, whereas Reid well...
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 pm

Spiritater my post is simple , this is hard to read, Move along nothing for us here, Another toothless attacking display, we will gift them goals.
Wrong, wrong, wrong,, rather negative young man, What i can say is the players are giving 100%,, perhaps you could try to be positive
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Positive performances beget positive posts my old fruit.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:45 pm

I’m going to put my head above the parapet here with tin hat firmly fixed and suggest that Aiden Stone will be our number one choice next year and, in time, will be sold for a large fee. He is an excellent shot stopper (two fantastic saves against Exeter and Forest Green recently) and his catching of high crosses is also very good. His general kicking can be long and accurate but he is let down at the moment by his kicking of pass backs, particularly with his wrong foot. This can be helped by reducing the number of back passes and also by balls being played to his strong foot.

A goalkeeper’s main job is to keep the ball out of the net. I personally think he does OK at this.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Walton Stag wrote:I’m going to put my head above the parapet here with tin hat firmly fixed and suggest that Aiden Stone will be our number one choice next year and, in time, will be sold for a large fee. He is an excellent shot stopper (two fantastic saves against Exeter and Forest Green recently) and his catching of high crosses is also very good. His general kicking can be long and accurate but he is let down at the moment by his kicking of pass backs, particularly with his wrong foot. This can be helped by reducing the number of back passes and also by balls being played to his strong foot.

A goalkeeper’s main job is to keep the ball out of the net. I personally think he does OK at this.

I've felt more confident with Stone in goal than Stech, obviously Nige feels the same.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum