{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List 2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 am

Nigel Clough has very loyally stuck with Jamie Reid and he has another year left on his contract so he will still be here next season or he will be sent out on loan. I think Corey O'Keeffe will probably also be sent out on loan. It might be cheaper than paying him off.

There is always the possibility that Jamie Reid improves next season after having a season to settle in. Kellan Gordon and Harry Charsley have improved in their second seasons at the Stags but they are younger players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 am

Nigel must be thinking how easy this will be. It’s almost impossible for him to make the squad worse. He will improve it easily. In fact I could go to the local park and sign a few lads to improve this shower!!! We will have money to spend for sure. I’ve heard the club has faired very well financially during the last year even without spectators.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 am

I’ll post mine after today’s game, still undecided on a couple. :lol:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:36 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nigel Clough has very loyally stuck with Jamie Reid and he has another year left on his contract so he will still be here next season or he will be sent out on loan. I think Corey O'Keeffe will probably also be sent out on loan. It might be cheaper than paying him off.

There is always the possibility that Jamie Reid improves next season after having a season to settle in. Kellan Gordon and Harry Charsley have improved in their second seasons at the Stags but they are younger players.

The players he doesn't want may as well be paid off. No point paying players to sit on their hand and possibly ruin squad harmony. I'd pay off those still contracted who are surplus. He'll definitely keep Reid and the other contracted players, but I'd offload him.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:43 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nigel Clough has very loyally stuck with Jamie Reid and he has another year left on his contract so he will still be here next season or he will be sent out on loan. I think Corey O'Keeffe will probably also be sent out on loan. It might be cheaper than paying him off.

I disagree, Holdsworth managed to move them on?

Surely you sit him down to tell him he's not in his plans (he may be in which case we should certainly question Clough) and he finds a home where's he wanted and perhaps closer to home and his agent works his magic for another agent payday.

I strongly disagree that he will improve or that Charsley has improved.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:07 am

You cannot move a player on if he has a contract on higher wages than he's likely to get elsewhere and does not want to be moved on e.g. Zander Diamond and Paul Anderson. That's why you end up paying them off or sending them out on loan.

I cannot see Jamie Reid and Corey O'Keeffe being offered higher wages by another club next season. They may accept lower wages if they are offered a two year contract by another club and they end up living closer to home and so save money on travel costs and accommodation etc.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:14 am

Most players won't get better contracts next season, money is going to be very short for most clubs.
Who would want okeefe? He's not played for ages.
The same goes for Reid, can't see any league 2 club wanting him.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:28 pm

oldweststander wrote:My mind is made about Gordon, he cannot defend to savd his life but he is a good attacking player and better than Charsley. Put him in a wide midfield role and I believe we will see a good player.

I believe Gordon is a winger (poor one ) converted to right back which he’s even worse , yeah he’s young but I don’t see him holding down a starting place god forbid next season .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:41 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:My Retained List

Rawson
Gordon
Maris
Lapslie
Bowery

Stone (on the bench)
James Clarke (on the bench)
Sinclair (on the bench)
Knowles (on the bench)

Stephen Quinn is a class player, but age means he would probably struggle to play 50+ games.

Everyone else can go!

Ollie Clarke & Marek Stech been big disappointments

I'm surprised Corey O'Keeffe has not played more games.

I've not changed my mind on any of my retained list, a major clear out is required, although appreciate the biggest challenge is actually moving on all the under performing contracted players !
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:49 pm

Agree Stech been poor but Clarke should be ok to keep
Apart from Rawson and Lapslie and Perch it will be tough for Nigel to find a decent one or 2 to keep
Not sure if honest what he will do with Reid
He could come good but we can’t keep waiting season after season
We do need this star striker as we have never really had one for a while now and Maynard we thought was it but sadly wrong.

Can we find another Ray Clarke!!!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:56 pm

I would keep Quinn Perch Bowery Lapslie Clarke.Maris and Benning perhaps.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm

I imagine after what he's said about areas to improve means that he'll keep the midfield seven. Maris, Clarke, Quinn, Charsley, McLaughlin, Law and Lapslie. I can't see a lot wrong when they get firing again, they'll all chip in with goals and the number of draws this season suggests that with a solid back four behind them we'll be hard to beat.

I can see Rawson, Perch, Benning, Bowery and Stone staying too.

Realistically that leaves space for a keeper, two centre backs, two full backs, three strikers.

It's alright people saying that they'd keep only three or four but he's not replacing the whole squad.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:24 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:I imagine after what he's said about areas to improve means that he'll keep the midfield seven. Maris, Clarke, Quinn, Charsley, McLaughlin, Law and Lapslie. I can't see a lot wrong when they get firing again, they'll all chip in with goals and the number of draws this season suggests that with a solid back four behind them we'll be hard to beat.

I can see Rawson, Perch, Benning, Bowery and Stone staying too.

Realistically that leaves space for a keeper, two centre backs, two full backs, three strikers.

It's alright people saying that they'd keep only three or four but he's not replacing the whole squad.

I think this will be about right. Gordon and Sweeney will be kept too I think.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:26 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:You cannot move a player on if he has a contract on higher wages than he's likely to get elsewhere and does not want to be moved on e.g. Zander Diamond and Paul Anderson. That's why you end up paying them off or sending them out on loan.

I cannot see Jamie Reid and Corey O'Keeffe being offered higher wages by another club next season. They may accept lower wages if they are offered a two year contract by another club and they end up living closer to home and so save money on travel costs and accommodation etc.

Wouldn’t think Corey is on a big wage ,having come From a low wage at Macclesfield .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:28 pm

Gordon’s is a good attacking full back ,and if he can iron out his defending frailties he will be a good player .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby avacta » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Think Mal will be off for a new challenge
avacta
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:32 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:You cannot move a player on if he has a contract on higher wages than he's likely to get elsewhere and does not want to be moved on e.g. Zander Diamond and Paul Anderson. That's why you end up paying them off or sending them out on loan.

You can move players who will be paid less. We just have to agree to pay the difference, or negotiate. Some players take the cut and move on. Others negotiate a payment plan for the difference. Others dig their heels in and demand we pay the difference or they stay and pick up a free wage.

For example, say a player is on £4k a week with a year still to go. He's surplus to requirements but can only get another deal for £2k a week. That's a 50% pay cut but has a contract that's worth double. They are in their rights to ask us to still pay £2k a week on top. It's what we agreed to pay him. We could turn round and negotiate paying £1k a week instead but both parties have to agree (or an amount in between) kinda like a compensation package for a reduced income.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:49 pm

That's called a pay off Gazza. Players will not give up their existing contracts without a pay off if they cannot get a better deal elsewhere.

Darragh MacAnthony at Peterborough says he prefers to reach a deal with players that are surplus to requirements rather than have them hanging around but admits there is nothing he can do if they want to stop and pick up their wages.

He sometimes just sells them for £300,000 to lower league clubs :lol: (Lee Angol and Hayden White)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:12 am

I was torn between going for what I would do or what I actually think will happen, so I will go for my retained list but put notes on if I think NC will disagree.

Let Go
Marek Stech-Was really excited when he signed, I still don't think he is a bad goalkeeper, he has made too many errors and is a bit unreliable.
Corey O'Keefe.
Ryan Sweeney (More to the fact I think he wants to leave if I am honest)
Rolin Menayese
Mal Benning (Really tough one as he has been a brilliant player for us, I think a fresh start is needed for both him and us, recently watching him I realised how many silly fouls he gives away too, he also seems to get in positions to deliver a cross and fail to find a team mate)
Andy Cook (I think he will leave)
Nicky Maynard (As below)
Aaron O Driscoll
Jamie Reid (I think NC will keep him as 3rd/4th choice though)
Jake Wright
Keaton Ward

KEEP
Aiden Stone
Stephen Mcloughlin
George Lapslie
Ollie Clarke
Harry Charsley
Kellan Gordon (Not ready for first choice RB role yet though)
George Maris
Stephen Quinn (I think he may leave though if I am honest)
Jordan Bowery
Tyrese Sinclair
Jason Law
Farrend Rawson
James Perch
James Clarke (needs a loan out though)
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:26 am

Why do you think Ryan Sweeney wants to leave Dan? Do you think he wants to move back down south?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:30 am

I’m a bit torn with some of them, such as Sweeney and Benning, as they have proved that they can be part of a promotion chasing side in the past but have not reached those levels over the last couple of years. Do you hang on to them and try and improve or do you let them go?

Particularly with Sweeney. Still young, huge, left footed. You get the feelings that he could leave and then end up going on to better things.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Why do you think Ryan Sweeney wants to leave Dan? Do you think he wants to move back down south?

I think JD mentioned something when he first took over that a ''few of the lads want to play higher'' im just guessing but I think Sweeney was one of them.

I also think there was something in him not signing a new contract when HC or KG did, we were doing well at that point and he was a big part of that.

Sharpe also spoke highly of him in the summer and it would seem strange we have let his contract run down.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 am

lifestags wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Why do you think Ryan Sweeney wants to leave Dan? Do you think he wants to move back down south?

I think JD mentioned something when he first took over that a ''few of the lads want to play higher'' im just guessing but I think Sweeney was one of them.

I also think there was something in him not signing a new contract when HC or KG did, we were doing well at that point and he was a big part of that.

Sharpe also spoke highly of him in the summer and it would seem strange we have let his contract run down.

Not much sell on value in Ryan Sweeney because Stoke have a massive sell on clause after getting him on a free transfer from Stoke.
https://www.stagsnet.net/news/newsdetai ... ewsid=9483
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am

For what its worth, I think we have our best centre midfield options in years, just got to build our team around them now.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:02 am

If Sweeney does leave I suspect he will go to Port Vale with his Flitcroft and Darryl Clarke connections.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum