{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Leyton Orient post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Leyton Orient post match

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:49 pm

I'll put the "highlights" up later
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Leyton Orient post match

Postby Spiritater » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm

He's at his wits end with some of these no hopers.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Key comment those that make those mistakes won’t be here next season
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagone1959 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 pm

marksay wrote:Key comment those that make those mistakes won’t be here next season

They shouldn't be in the starting eleven then.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robbingdog » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:58 pm

hes not happy is he
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:01 pm

Clearly watching a different game to me in the second half.

Pleased to hear his comments. He's supported some players consistently but if their performances don't support him then they reap the consequences.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Torrystag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:He's at his wits end with some of these no hopers.

Why does he keep playing them then poor decisions
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Opening and ending comments both the same , learn or leave
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Think Torry stag. He's not got any players to put in the places where it matters most - upfront. When the ball gets into the final third, the two forwards never look like they are going to do anything. Gordon has been poor but O'Keefe or James Clarke don't ook to be better options. Mind you if you don't try them you will never know. Gosh it is frustrating for us. I get the impression Nigel is ready to blowhis top.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:45 pm

Part of it is down to him and club policy.He manages the team. The players can take most of the blame but he's not exempt.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby robbingdog » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:46 pm

he cant just come out and blow his top and say hes crap, hes crap, hes crap etc can he

if that happens the players just down tools and then we are really in the deep stuff

If we are in this same position next year then yes I think we all agree we can criticise, but i do not think we will be
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:53 pm

What’s worrying is he said we played well for a spell in the second half, we didn’t.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:55 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Part of it is down to him and club policy.He manages the team. The players can take most of the blame but he's not exempt.

In hindsight the January transfer window has been poor but the decisions made at the time were correct.

Clough could not have foreseen the injuries to Key players nor the total loss of form by Reid and Bowery who were both beginning to get their acts together at the time. He took a calculated risk to move two high wage earners off the bill fully expecting their replacement (Sarkic) to be an adequate replacement. He had no other remit than to stay in the league which I am sure he will achieve and the money saved will go towards next season’s promotion push. When he uses the saved money wisely, we will all sing his praises.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes, like Bradford are singing Cook's praises right now.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Torrystag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Herts Stag wrote:Think Torry stag. He's not got any players to put in the places where it matters most - upfront. When the ball gets into the final third, the two forwards never look like they are going to do anything. Gordon has been poor but O'Keefe or James Clarke don't ook to be better options. Mind you if you don't try them you will never know. Gosh it is frustrating for us. I get the impression Nigel is ready to blowhis top.

His or sharpes decision
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Torrystag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:05 pm

Look its not a criticism of clough I truly believe he will bring us success ,but he is no more exempt from criticism than anyone
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kenwood » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:31 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Part of it is down to him and club policy.He manages the team. The players can take most of the blame but he's not exempt.

In hindsight the January transfer window has been poor but the decisions made at the time were correct.

Clough could not have foreseen the injuries to Key players nor the total loss of form by Reid and Bowery who were both beginning to get their acts together at the time. He took a calculated risk to move two high wage earners off the bill fully expecting their replacement (Sarkic) to be an adequate replacement. He had no other remit than to stay in the league which I am sure he will achieve and the money saved will go towards next season’s promotion push. When he uses the saved money wisely, we will all sing his praises.

I don’t disagree with off loading high earners both Cook and especially Maynard at the time, but even with Sarkic added that only left us with 3 strikers at the club.
(You can’t include players like Law & Sinclair etc.)

That was never going to be enough especially with the number of games in a short period that all teams where always going to face

Add to that the inevitability of one or two being injured or out of form and it was always going to leave us short up front.

Strikers / forwards change or win games and we don’t have any options off the bench, which considering both our financial resources, and predicament in the bottom 5-6 all season was just a crazy situation for Clough to have put us in back in January.
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:36 pm

lifestags wrote:What’s worrying is he said we played well for a spell in the second half, we didn’t.

We did.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:39 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
lifestags wrote:What’s worrying is he said we played well for a spell in the second half, we didn’t.

We did.

But NEVER looked like scoring
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 pm

Torrystag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:

We did.

But NEVER looked like scoring

That is true. But we still played well, got the ball wide and got some crosses in to decent positions.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:54 pm

We never looked anything like a good team ,ok we did some good stuff but were sadly innefective ,i think it was the most impotent side i have ever witnessed to try and dress it up as anything else is in the words of nigel Pearson is burying our heads in the sand l
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:18 pm

Love how folk Lose their head after every game on here.....
Nobody cares about this season from JR down to Jimmy who cuts the grass....
NC has done his job he's cut the massive wage bill down and miraculously garnered enough points for us to to stop up with lets face it with an awful team....

Stop procrastinating over games that matter not a jot...

NC is saying what he needs to keep the apple cart steady nothing more nothing less...

Ignore the results the rest of this season and wish August upon us in haste....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on Trent » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:34 pm

I think it's about time NC was honest in his post match comments. We were extremely poor today and when you are carrying two strikers who don't pose any threat to the opposition it makes it difficult to win matches. We can see it, why can't NC? I had hopes for the future when NC was appointed but I don't think I could stand another season of second rate football again if he thinks todays' effort was acceptable in any way. We can blame the players but NC should accept responsibility, he's the manager after all.
Stag on Trent
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ian23 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Stag on Trent wrote:I think it's about time NC was honest in his post match comments. We were extremely poor today and when you are carrying two strikers who don't pose any threat to the opposition it makes it difficult to win matches. We can see it, why can't NC? I had hopes for the future when NC was appointed but I don't think I could stand another season of second rate football again if he thinks todays' effort was acceptable in any way. We can blame the players but NC should accept responsibility, he's the manager after all.

What do you expect him to say when he has another 7 games where he HAS to work with them? Would make run in even harder
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stagdale » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 pm

I think Nigel is living off his reputation at the moment. He has made some disastrous mistakes so far as our manager such as :

1 Continually playing Gordon at full back. How many mistakes does he have to make before he is dropped? I feel very sorry for O’keefe who surely can’t be worse than Gordon.
2 very poor use of substitutes. Today was shambolic.
3 say what you like but he really did mess up in the transfer window. Please someone, tell me what does his brother do as head of recruitment? It is all very well saying he saved us money by getting Maynard and Cook off the payroll but this will be very shortsighted if we get relegated.
4 He wanted to be fair to them both and let them get first team football. His job is to do the best thing for MTFC and in my view he should have kept Cook and started him (like he does Reid) and he would have been happy. Certainly would contribute more than Reid who is probably one of the worst players I have seen pull on a Stag’s shirt and I have seen a few in my 60 years of supporting them! A manager of his experience should not have left us so short of bodies. With the fixture congestion he should have anticipated injuries, suspensions and fatigue.
4 I worry about his choice of players. He has extended the contacts of both Gordon and Charsley. Gordon speaks for himself match after match and Charsley just runs around a lot.
5 I don’t Know who coaches the team but there really is some shocking football played at the moment. In particular set pieces. They are an embarrassment. I am not suggesting we should score from every free kick or corner but we should be putting the opponent’s defenders under much more pressure than we do. Have we got a player who can actually strike a dead ball well? Do we practice these during the week?

I guess I will be berated on here for daring to criticise Nigel but I do think these comments are reasonable.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum