{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press conference Wed 31 Mar

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough press conference Wed 31 Mar

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 pm

------------------------

Nigel Clough told BBC Radio Nottingham (video available on iFollow):

"Oli Sarkic is out for the season. His hamstring injury is much worse than we first feared. He's gone back to Blackpool.
"It was touch and go whether he's going to need an operation on it. It was very close to a ruptured hamstring rather than a normal strain.
"He'll be 12 weeks plus. And he's got to get himself ready for pre-season. It's a big blow for him and obviously a blow for us as well.
"Its a shame we're not going to be able to see more of him."

"Nathan Caine was another we talked about getting involved in January. But he's been injured with his ankle ever since. So that's another blow in the forward area."

------------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:20 pm

Some great points made in this thread as well as a lot of “ifs” so here’s a couple more.

What if we’d kept both Maynard and Cook and they both got injured? We’d have been paying out minimum £6,000 a week and getting nothing in return. So we’ve saved £6,000 a week and got the same return.

Regarding Akins/Brayford. What if we signed them and they both got injured? We’d have been up the creek without a paddle with no income coming in.

So I agree with those who say it was a good window for the club on the whole, financially and points wise. Give NC the summer to build his own team with the money saved and watch us go.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I thought Clough explained the transfer window very well, and unexpected injuries left us short of expectations, the club has welcomed the reduction in the wage bill , and this has allowed fringe players to determine if their future is with the club, Letting Cook, Maynard, Menayese go was a big decision, But we have 3 academy players getting game time.
Sarkic has been very unlucky and must try to kick start his career, and with Caine suffering a long term injury it has put us on the back foot, so if we achieve our objective then we will be in a strong position to start the next campaign,
Putting Mansfield Town in the same bracket as Bolton Wanderers is going to far since 2005/6 premier league---2013 championship for 4 years,, 2 year in league 1, 2020/21 the first year in their history in league 2.
Mansfield Town 2005 league 2 for 2 seasons. 2008/9 non league for 5 seasons, 2013/14 league 2 for 8 seasons, ignoring the infrastructure and the finances they attract with a big fan base, i am sorry but we do not begin to compete as a club, our ground only has 3 sides, lets stay positive but realistic

Hark at you. Just hark at you.[/quot
Sorry am i the one criticizing our last transfer window, am i the one who blames Sarkic for getting injured, am i the one who forgets Lapslie was part of the January window.
am i the one not posting football, but personal abuse, am i the one who does not respect Martin, am i the one who drives posters away,
if you are harking at me common sense prevails, and broomo will be delighted.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 pm

Just on the point around injuries

Most injuries are not down to bad luck. They are usually down to poor conditioning stemming from players not looking after themselves properly or clubs over working players.

An hamstring tear is a classic example of an injury caused by poor conditioning or overuse.

Sarkic had hardly played all season before we signed him and I can’t help but wonder about what condition he was in. With the squad so threadbare, we seem to be rushing players back too soon, which might be why Sarkic pulled up.

We also lost Lapslie this way and I suspect Ollie Clarke is feeling the effects of being rushed back too soon too (it surprised everyone when he played in the EFL trophy at Scunthorpe).

Clough keeps talking about tired players. I bet we lose at least another one to a none contact injury before the season ends.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Interesting to hear Clough mention Josh Scott amongst the first team group.

I know Coughlan had him around the first team in pre-season. I wonder if he might get a few appearances in the run in?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I thought Clough explained the transfer window very well, and unexpected injuries left us short of expectations, the club has welcomed the reduction in the wage bill , and this has allowed fringe players to determine if their future is with the club, Letting Cook, Maynard, Menayese go was a big decision, But we have 3 academy players getting game time.
Sarkic has been very unlucky and must try to kick start his career, and with Caine suffering a long term injury it has put us on the back foot, so if we achieve our objective then we will be in a strong position to start the next campaign,
Putting Mansfield Town in the same bracket as Bolton Wanderers is going to far since 2005/6 premier league---2013 championship for 4 years,, 2 year in league 1, 2020/21 the first year in their history in league 2.
Mansfield Town 2005 league 2 for 2 seasons. 2008/9 non league for 5 seasons, 2013/14 league 2 for 8 seasons, ignoring the infrastructure and the finances they attract with a big fan base, i am sorry but we do not begin to compete as a club, our ground only has 3 sides, lets stay positive but realistic

Hark at you. Just hark at you.[/quot
Sorry am i the one criticizing our last transfer window, am i the one who blames Sarkic for getting injured, am i the one who forgets Lapslie was part of the January window.
am i the one not posting football, but personal abuse, am i the one who does not respect Martin, am i the one who drives posters away,
if you are harking at me common sense prevails, and broomo will be delighted.

Chortle.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:46 am

Dan wrote:Some great points made in this thread as well as a lot of “ifs” so here’s a couple more.

What if we’d kept both Maynard and Cook and they both got injured? We’d have been paying out minimum £6,000 a week and getting nothing in return. So we’ve saved £6,000 a week and got the same return.

Regarding Akins/Brayford. What if we signed them and they both got injured? We’d have been up the creek without a paddle with no income coming in.

So I agree with those who say it was a good window for the club on the whole, financially and points wise. Give NC the summer to build his own team with the money saved and watch us go.

I know its not likely, but if we did go down it would have been the worst Jan transfer window in our history ;)

As I've said before, I agree with Belly. It was not a deliberate act to save money as we clearly did try to sign 2 League 1 players in addition to Sarkic. My criticism is that we had no plan B when those two signings fell through leaving us with zero options in attack.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:52 am

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:Some great points made in this thread as well as a lot of “ifs” so here’s a couple more.

I know its not likely, but if we did go down it would have been the worst Jan transfer window in our history ;)

As I've said before, I agree with Belly. It was not a deliberate act to save money as we clearly did try to sign 2 League 1 players in addition to Sarkic. My criticism is that we had no plan B when those two signings fell through leaving us with zero options in attack.

100% agree
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:10 pm

When safe we have to try Sinclair.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Sinclair will be waiting a while longer Kernow!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:36 am

Kernow wrote:When safe we have to try Sinclair.

I don't think he'll get much game time on that basis, if any.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:48 am

Spiritater wrote:

Do you still think we can go down?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:14 am

James wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Till the mathematics confirm otherwise yes. The team it seems will carry on playing their fiddles as this God awful season moves towards it's conclusion. To think we are safe is the wrong thought trend, as it takes little to tip the balance in the other strugglers favour as unlikely as it may seem at present.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Spiritater wrote:
James wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Till the mathematics confirm otherwise yes. The team it seems will carry on playing their fiddles as this God awful season moves towards it's conclusion. To think we are safe is the wrong thought trend, as it takes little to tip the balance in the other strugglers favour as unlikely as it may seem at present.

This is the thing that gets me ,the assumption that we are safe ,i hope we are but if any team is capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory its this lot
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:06 pm

I am afraid we are stuck with Reid as Scott is not good enough and Caine has bad ankles.I just hope we do not get any more injuries.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 pm

Torrystag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
James wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

This is the thing that gets me ,the assumption that we are safe ,i hope we are but if any team is capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory its this lot
Torrystag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
James wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I think we will just survive. I can't see Grimsby or Southend suddenly getting sufficient wins. Both teams goal difference shows how poor they are.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:47 pm

Southend, Colchester and Barrow have to play each other, it helps us a bit.
I'm sure Colchester are more worried than we are at the moment.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 am

Spiritater wrote:
James wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Thanks for answering my question. I just wish you’d mention it more.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 am

chip63 wrote:Southend, Colchester and Barrow have to play each other, it helps us a bit.
I'm sure Colchester are more worried than we are at the moment.

Barrow won’t go down. It’s between Grimsby, Southend & Colchester for me.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum