{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags Most Embarrassing Result?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags Most Embarrassing Result?

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:08 am

I remember in my first year at Uni (97/98 sort of time), I'd bigged up MTFC and talked a load of new uni mates into going to watch us at Cambridge. It was terrible, not just the match or the result (think we lost 7-2) but the weather. We literally had ever type of weather possible in the 90 minutes. Safe to say, they never wanted to watch Mansfield again and I fully deserved the ridicule of being a lower league football fan.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 pm

Matlock 5-2 first time I left a match early.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Wilfred wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It’s got to be losing 5-1 to non league Tow Law Town in the 60’s. we didn’t just lose we got totally thumped.

I went to the original match at Tow Law, Sandy, which was abandoned at half time. It was like a scene from The Terror. Frozen balls? You betcha!

Yes so did I Wilfred. I think we would have won if they had played the second half as we would have been playing with the blizzard :D :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm

I remember.. but funny enough (correct me if I’m wrong )didn’t we play them at Field mill the season after and beat them 4-1 and go onto a brilliant run in the FA Cup.
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Oldamber55 wrote:I remember.. but funny enough (correct me if I’m wrong )didn’t we play them at Field mill the season after and beat them 4-1 and go onto a brilliant run in the FA Cup.

Yes we did.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:29 pm

If and its a big if ,i think sandy scored a goal in that 4 1 win ,may be wrong though
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DURHAM STAG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:34 pm

Bob Ledger (2), Ray Keeley & Nick Sharkey.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Torrystag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:42 pm

Remember a tow law fan walking round the pitch with a cow bell
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Aspleystag wrote:Matlock 5-2 first time I left a match early.

We left early too, missed Matlock's 5th goal.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:50 pm

Rob wrote:

Me too...and we heard the roar as Matlock scored a 5th goal as we were at the bottom of the alleyway at the back of the North Stand
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:22 pm

I remember Big Bally getting carried out by half a dozen Rozzers
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Rob wrote:

Me too...and we heard the roar as Matlock scored a 5th goal as we were at the bottom of the alleyway at the back of the North Stand

I lived on Stella Street at the time so we were walking down Quarry Lane, I'll never forget it as we were right behind what, at the time, seemed like thousands of Matlock fans. Of all the games I saw in the 70's as a kid, that one I remember the most just for the sheer shock. Matlock, it must be said, were fantastic that day.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:39 am

I think Matlock had 3 brothers from The local area playing for them , Fenaughty or something similar, The team were all local and only one step up from a pub team , a group of mates having a kick about but they really played the Stags off the park that night.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:07 am

one f in mansfield wrote:I think Matlock had 3 brothers from The local area playing for them , Fenaughty or something similar, The team were all local and only one step up from a pub team , a group of mates having a kick about but they really played the Stags off the park that night.

We must have had a bad team then that year to lose to Matlock conceeding five???. I bet our 2009 team would have beat our 1977 shower and thrashed that Matlock team 1 nil. Good job social media wasn't around in 1977 as it would have been total meltdown.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 am

one f in mansfield wrote:I think Matlock had 3 brothers from The local area playing for them , Fenaughty or something similar, The team were all local and only one step up from a pub team , a group of mates having a kick about but they really played the Stags off the park that night.

Yes you are correct. I think at least one of the Fenaughty brothers played for Sheffield Utd.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:28 am

4 0 defeat away at Chesterfield. Can't quite remember the year but it was my first game against them after being a full time stag for a few seasons Absolutely gutting.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:31 am

ST4GS wrote:

We must have had a bad team then that year to lose to Matlock conceeding five???. I bet our 2009 team would have beat our 1977 shower and thrashed that Matlock team 1 nil. Good job social media wasn't around in 1977 as it would have been total meltdown.

Not bad team, think we got promoted ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:36 am

Jamie wrote:4 0 defeat away at Chesterfield. Can't quite remember the year but it was my first game against them after being a full time stag for a few seasons Absolutely gutting.

One of the most depressing days ever. I was pre-exercise leave from the Army at the time and was due for a night out in Chesterfield that night so was looking forward to rubbing it in.

Needless to say, my night didn’t go as planned! :(

I was glad to go on exercise for the following month so I didn’t have to suffer the ridicule for giving it the big un in the build up :lol:
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 am

Amber Andy wrote:

Yes you are correct. I think at least one of the Fenaughty brothers played for Sheffield Utd.

Matlock Town were a decent non-league side and a lot better than a pub team. They had won the FA Trophy in 1975 beating Scarborough 4-0 in the final. They were managed by Peter Swan, the former Sheffield Wednesday and England player, who was could have been part of the England 1966 World Cup squad but who was jailed with Tony Kay and David Layne in a betting scandal. Brian Phillips and Sammy Chapman were involved in the same scandal.

I think Tom Fenoughty had taken over as player manager of Matlock Town when they played the Stags. I'll have to dig out my old programme. Tom Fenoughty had played for Sheffield United and Chesterfield and according to wikipedia stopped playing professional football in 1972 to become a pharmaceutical chemist after graduating from Manchester University. His two brothers, Mick and Nick Fenoughty, also played for Matlock and had also been at Chesterfield. They all played in the FA Trophy Final in 1975

Matlock finished 3rd in the Northern Premier League in 1976-1977 behind Boston United and Northwich. This was when the Northern Premier League was the equivalent of the National League Step 1 along with the Southern League and Isthmian League. Wigan Athletic won the Northern Premier League in 1974-1975 and we only beat Wigan after a replay in the FA Cup that year with one of the best sides we ever had. Dougie O'Connor scored twice. He only scored 4 goals in total for the Stags. We bumped into him again in the FA Cup a few years ago as he was working for Shaw Lane. Wigan finished runners up in the NPL to Boston United in 1977-1978 and were elected to the Football League to replace Workington Town.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:32 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Matlock Town were a decent non-league side and a lot better than a pub team. They had won the FA Trophy in 1975 beating Scarborough 4-0 in the final. They were managed by Peter Swan, the former Sheffield Wednesday and England player, who was could have been part of the England 1966 World Cup squad but who was jailed with Tony Kay and David Layne in a betting scandal. Brian Phillips and Sammy Chapman were involved in the same scandal.

I think Tom Fenoughty had taken over as player manager of Matlock Town when they played the Stags. I'll have to dig out my old programme. Tom Fenoughty had played for Sheffield United and Chesterfield and according to wikipedia stopped playing professional football in 1972 to become a pharmaceutical chemist after graduating from Manchester University. His two brothers, Mick and Nick Fenoughty, also played for Matlock and had also been at Chesterfield. They all played in the FA Trophy Final in 1975

Matlock finished 3rd in the Northern Premier League in 1976-1977 behind Boston United and Northwich. This was when the Northern Premier League was the equivalent of the National League Step 1 along with the Southern League and Isthmian League. Wigan Athletic won the Northern Premier League in 1974-1975 and we only beat Wigan after a replay in the FA Cup that year with one of the best sides we ever had. Dougie O'Connor scored twice. He only scored 4 goals in total for the Stags. We bumped into him again in the FA Cup a few years ago as he was working for Shaw Lane. Wigan finished runners up in the NPL to Boston United in 1977-1978 and were elected to the Football League to replace Workington Town.

Wigan Athletic replaced Southport. Workington were voted out the previous season, replaced by the old Wimbledon club.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks Svante.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby stags1963 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:07 pm

Losing to Droylsden 2:-1.
stags1963
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:01 pm

There as been some shockers , there was one a few seasons ago at the Mill when we where 2-1 up late in injury and lost 3-2 that did my head in but cannot remember who it was ??
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:12 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:There as been some shockers , there was one a few seasons ago at the Mill when we where 2-1 up late in injury and lost 3-2 that did my head in but cannot remember who it was ??

Murray Vs Bristol Rovers?

Edit - that was 2-1, so not that one! it was 1-1 and we lost 2-1 in 90+8
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:There as been some shockers , there was one a few seasons ago at the Mill when we where 2-1 up late in injury and lost 3-2 that did my head in but cannot remember who it was ??

Murray Vs Bristol Rovers?

Edit - that was 2-1, so not that one! it was 1-1 and we lost 2-1 in 90+8

Just looking at 2013 against Accrington Stanley 2-3 Time flys by :lol:

It as there goals on 90 minutes ??

https://www.11v11.com/matches/mansfield ... 13-306261/
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum