{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags Most Embarrassing Result?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags Most Embarrassing Result?

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:46 pm

Still remember fern scoring for leicester ,stood in the west stand quarry lane corner me dad with his feet stood against the wall ,to protect us ,think there were a few crowd surges that day nearly 23 000 ,it was part of an addictive habit
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:50 pm

Torrystag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It’s got to be losing 5-1 to non league Tow Law Town in the 60’s. we didn’t just lose we got totally thumped.

This one for me....I'd been taken to my first Mansfield game by my grandad the week before and already thought Sandy Pate and Peter Morris were God's then this happened. ...remember grainy pics on TV. ..

Funny no one can ever get the west ham game tv coverage if there was any remember getting the 102 back to pleasley that night now that was the night to be a stag ,11 years old then

There was no tv footage of the West Ham game. It was originally scheduled for the tv but kept getting postponed due to the weather and they eventually gave up on the coverage.

Yes it truly was the night to be a stags supporter and is surely our proudest cup night of all time.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:56 pm

part time pete wrote:John Matthews went in goal at York.

Thank you Pete for confirming that.

Did the Stags equalise to make it 1-1?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:58 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Torrystag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It’s got to be losing 5-1 to non league Tow Law Town in the 60’s. we didn’t just lose we got totally thumped.

This one for me....I'd been taken to my first Mansfield game by my grandad the week before and already thought Sandy Pate and Peter Morris were God's then this happened. ...remember grainy pics on TV. ..

Funny no one can ever get the west ham game tv coverage if there was any remember getting the 102 back to pleasley that night now that was the night to be a stag ,11 years old then

There was no tv footage of the West Ham game. It was originally scheduled for the tv but kept getting postponed due to the weather and they eventually gave up on the coverage.

Yes it truly was the night to be a stags supporter and is surely our proudest cup night of all time.

All true. My greatest memory that night, will never ever forget it. Also the entire cup run that season. Can remember the police literally pushing us further down the terracing in the North Stand to get more people in v Leicester. Also still think Leicester’s goal should have been disallowed
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
part time pete wrote:John Matthews went in goal at York.

Thank you Pete for confirming that.

Did the Stags equalise to make it 1-1?

No, made it 3-1 just before half time. Arnold subbed after 10 minutes.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:12 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Torrystag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

All true. My greatest memory that night, will never ever forget it. Also the entire cup run that season. Can remember the police literally pushing us further down the terracing in the North Stand to get more people in v Leicester. Also still think Leicester’s goal should have been disallowed

It was a flick on header by fern ,lets wait for var :D
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Did you go to the 7-1 away defeat at Aldershot Pete in Feb 1984?

I think we also beat Halifax 7-1 at home later the same season with Ian Juryeff scoring a hat-trick.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:18 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Did you go to the 7-1 away defeat at Aldershot Pete in Feb 1984?

I think we also beat Halifax 7-1 at home later the same season with Ian Juryeff scoring a hat-trick.

Johnny come latelys :lol:
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Did you go to the 7-1 away defeat at Aldershot Pete in Feb 1984?

No, my only visit to Aldershot was a Friday night 3-1 win the year they went bust and their results were expunged.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:53 pm

part time pete wrote:

No, my only visit to Aldershot was a Friday night 3-1 win the year they went bust and their results were expunged.

I was at that game Pete, I put a quid in the bucket but it didn't save them!

Matlock home was a real shock, probably our best side of the last 50.years stuffed at home. We won what is now League 1 that same season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:07 pm

No we won the 3rd division it was then ,palace brighton and wrexham finished below us ,what a magical drunken day it was
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:47 pm

For me it was the disgraceful performance at Meadow Lane under double failure Flitcroft. With the most expensive squad we’ve ever had away at a team who just don’t beat us especially at ML and who were at the bottom of the league, it was embarrassing to get beat especially as they went down that season too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 pm

for me it has to be the 4-0 defeat at Hayes & Yeading. Certainly the worst performance I have ever seen from a Mansfield Town side.

If you weren't there, you can read about it here: https://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/ ... easonid=11
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sweden Stag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:05 pm

Correct. Juryeff had played in Sweden the year before (and only some 60 kilometres north of where I live now).
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 pm

Rigsby wrote:From our non league days
Hayes and Yeading 0-4
Histon 0-3

Bit further back
Matlock 2-5

the only thing I'd say about that Histon game was that they were a very good side that season, reaching the play-offs. They had some very good players, including several who went on to have football league careers. Indeed Nat Knight-Percival, who scored 2 of the 3 goals, has played in the football league for the past ten years, including in the Championship. Also Josh Simpson who was a terrific player.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Gateshead was another massive embarrassment.

"Pay what you want"
We were that bad folk who'd paid a penny were asking for their money back after the game. :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 pm

Torrystag wrote:No we won the 3rd division it was then ,palace brighton and wrexham finished below us ,what a magical drunken day it was

No, we won what is now League 1, I'm afraid that is a fact :D Only reason I used that comparison is we have many on here, unlike us, not alive when that happened!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 pm

Torrystag wrote:No we won the 3rd division it was then ,palace brighton and wrexham finished below us ,what a magical drunken day it was

Wrong we won league 1
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:17 am

Nope just checked in the history of mtfc section on this forum ,it says we won division 3 ,surely our own forum cant be wrong :) :o
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:28 am

Torrystag wrote:Nope just checked in the history of mtfc section on this forum ,it says we won division 3 ,surely our own forum cant be wrong :) :o

Tory

I think you are misinterpreting what they are saying. Yes we did indeed win the third division as it was then. But the third division then was the equivalent of what is now League 1 so you are all arguing the same point. No-one is saying we won what was league one at the time which is effectively now the premiership.

Being pedantic you are correct, we won the third division.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:09 am

I was being pedantic
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bandy Andy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 am

Over the years work has taken me around the country so I’ve seen a lot more away games than home games. The most embarrassing for me, was back in 2005 when working near Yeovil. I’d been to a couple of Yeovil games with work colleagues, standing at the home end. But when Stags visited, obviously I moved to the away end. The result was a 5-2 defeat, including a Stags missed penalty, a pretty hopeless attempt as I recall (although with my fading memory I’m not sure who took it). Work on Monday morning was pretty grim - they didn’t give me much stick, just pity.
Bandy Andy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:32 am

Grimsby away. New Years Day. 7 2 ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:33 am

I went to the original match at Tow Law, Sandy, which was abandoned at half time. It was like a scene from The Terror. Frozen balls? You betcha!
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 am

Bandy Andy wrote:Over the years work has taken me around the country so I’ve seen a lot more away games than home games. The most embarrassing for me, was back in 2005 when working near Yeovil. I’d been to a couple of Yeovil games with work colleagues, standing at the home end. But when Stags visited, obviously I moved to the away end. The result was a 5-2 defeat, including a Stags missed penalty, a pretty hopeless attempt as I recall (although with my fading memory I’m not sure who took it). Work on Monday morning was pretty grim - they didn’t give me much stick, just pity.

Think Barker missed a penalty, and then Rhys Day (?!) scored one in the second half. Adam Rundle scored a good goal from what i remember too.
James
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum