{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Harrogate scorethread by first time visit

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Harrogate scorethread by first time visit

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 pm

lifestags wrote:What is worrying for me, at the start of the season whenever something went wrong our heads went down and we would struggle, Ollie Clarke mentioned this in an interview, we seemed to have gone back to that. First half performance was much better today, we concede and then put in that second half display.

Said it before, we concede we crap our pants on the whole this season.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We have to make a lot of changes next game, not only due to tonight being dreadful, but mainly because they’re mostly all clearly shattered. If we keep running the same lads in to the ground every few days we will keep getting beat. It happening already as we can see.

Stech in for Stone
Gordon back in at right back
Perch in at CB’s for either of those pair at the back, take your pick cos both deserve a game out after that debacle.
Benning back in at LB (forced anyway)

Not much we can do in midfield due to lack of bodies, but if Quinn is fit then bring him back in for Law

Sinclair on the left
Reid up top (to be replaced by Bowery later or other way round)
Sarkic on the right for Charsley.

Other option is to play Gordon right wing, Sarkic left, and O’Keeffe at RB.

Really frustrated that we are so light of options for out and out strikers.

Not a chance in hell... Will be the same 11 apart from quinn back in for law (who absolutely blew his chance tonite).
Nige does not like to tinker.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby five to three » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 pm

broomo wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:We have to make a lot of changes next game, not only due to tonight being dreadful, but mainly because they’re mostly all clearly shattered. If we keep running the same lads in to the ground every few days we will keep getting beat. It happening already as we can see.

Stech in for Stone
Perch in at CB’s for either of those pair at the back, take your pick cos both deserve a game out after that debacle.

Not much we can do in midfield due to lack of bodies, but if Quinn is fit then bring him back in for Law

Sinclair on the left

I'd agree with all of those changes.

Me too!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby five to three » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:56 pm

broomo wrote:

Stech in for Stone

Sinclair on the left

I'd agree with all of those changes.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Nigel is fuming... Please change it next week
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Nigel is fuming... Please change it next week

he’s got bloody nothing to change it too!!!!

we are woefully short of options, that sits firmly at the feet of the management team
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Feel a bit sorry for Law

To be part of one of the worse if not the worse performances of the season and there have been a few on your league debut is bad luck, yes he didn’t do much but neither did anyone else
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm

Nigel's fuming! Probably not as angry as me.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Nigel's fuming! Probably not as angry as me.

So, it seems we are in general agreement. It wasn’t very good! :cry:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Get rid of Sweeney please!!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:18 pm

And Rawson
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Should of called it out on Saturday for what it was. The seeds of that performance were borne from that second half of that game. Never in the game, Saturday and even less so , tonight, against a poorer team.
Time to stop molly coddling this bunch of invertabrates
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:30 pm

Defence wise i don’t expect to see any of sweeney, rawson and mclaughlin next season.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:45 pm

Just seen his interview, not a happy bunny.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Not happy......?
Not the only one...but he’s the one who can do something about it?
Our moaning is just making us feel better...till the results do that for us.
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:59 pm

The defence needs a rest. As does the strike force.

For some reason we keep changing the midfield. The change in defence was forced, and that player who has had a rest from games and a few cameos played well I feel.

Need to change it upfront as well. We are knackered and getting turned over easily. Sod it. I could be (read: probably definitely) the whiskey talking but vs morecambe let's go with

Stech
O'Keeffe Perch O'Driscoll Benning
Sinclair Clarke Quinn Gordon
Caine Sarkic

Have Gordon and Sinclair swap wings from time to time. The 1st choice lot have barely done owt of note past 2 games so it can't be much worse. Plus we can bring on the 1st team after an hour and let them play for 30 minutes instead of the full 90. Results wise that team can't do any worse a loss is a loss.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:12 pm

I've never seen Nigel Clough so angry after a game. He was seething, primarily with his central defenders.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 pm

What odds on Buxton signing until the end of the season?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 pm

Nigel will want out himself with this bunch
He said he wasn’t a miracle worker but is going to need a miracle to keep this team mid table
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 am

Very scrappy horrible game settled by one bad bit of defending from Ryan Sweeney and Farrend Rawson. Ryan Sweeney has now been partly at fault for the last four goals we have conceded. He looked unsure of himself in the first half when he made an error misjudging the flight of the ball. I thought he played a bit better in the 2nd half after he had made the mistake.

Terrible toothless second half performance by the Stags. I knew when Harrogate scored that that would be enough to win the game. They are very good at hanging on to 1-0 leads. Jamie Reid and Jordan Bowery might as well not have been on the pitch.

Aiden Stone's kicking was awful. We lost possession virtually every time he kicked the ball. I thought George Maris and Ollie Clarke were our best players in the first half but they struggled to get in the game in the 2nd half and gave the ball away far too much. Harry Charsley also disappeared in the 2nd half so no surprise he was subbed. Jason Law also struggled to get in the game. He did take a decent corner from which Farrend Rawson should have scored.

Stephen McLaughlin had a reasonable first half. I'm struggling to pick a Man of the Match. I'd go for George Maris for the first half and Mal Benning for the second half but perhaps James Perch just deserves it overall. He was fairly busy all evening and made some good tackles.

I bet that was easily our lowest attacking xG of the season and probably one of our best defensive ones.

We should have 7 points from the last four games but have come away with one. Nigel's rebuilding job may be a lot bigger than anticipated four games ago. We certainly need another centre half to be a leader at the back and to make sure we do not give silly goals away.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am

I felt sorry for Martin having to commentate on the match,
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 am

I've got a poorly 2 year old so I missed the odd part of the game (10 minutes here and there) hence me barely commenting on the game.

What I did manage to see was the goal. Long punt down the middle, I don't know if it got caught in the wind or not but Sweeney did seem to come forwards and then back peddle to get to it and got a head to it and headed it up. Then Rawson decided to head it straight up as well. I'd say the blame more lies with Rawson for the goal.

I felt the subs came of an injected some energy into the midfield and at left back but the other 6 outfield players were still jaded. We need to seriously consider giving players a couple of games rest and rotate the squad and finish the season strongly. Rather than just going through the motions every game for the rest of the season because we just can't match the other teams for energy and fitness past 50 minutes or so.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 am

Sweeney needed a call from a team mate or the awareness to 'LEAVE IT!’ the ball was going out. Even at Div 10 level of Mansfield Sunday League they are basics. There was no danger. But it's symptomatic of why we concede games when winning. Do the right things at the right times.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 am

gazza1988 wrote:I've got a poorly 2 year old so I missed the odd part of the game (10 minutes here and there) hence me barely commenting on the game.

What I did manage to see was the goal. Long punt down the middle, I don't know if it got caught in the wind or not but Sweeney did seem to come forwards and then back peddle to get to it and got a head to it and headed it up. Then Rawson decided to head it straight up as well. I'd say the blame more lies with Rawson for the goal.

I felt the subs came of an injected some energy into the midfield and at left back but the other 6 outfield players were still jaded. We need to seriously consider giving players a couple of games rest and rotate the squad and finish the season strongly. Rather than just going through the motions every game for the rest of the season because we just can't match the other teams for energy and fitness past 50 minutes or so.

Hope your child is ok Gaz.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 am

That's just it though. The call never came. Sweeney had his back to our goal. The players the ball sailed over would have seen and could have said. As far as Sweeney was concerned he had no idea if it was heading for goal and could bounce into the net.

He headed it straight up, Rawson had time to see who was around him and plant his foot through it. He was under no pressure. He's headed it straight to the nearest Harrogate player who was able to volley it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum