{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Harrogate scorethread by first time visit

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Harrogate scorethread by first time visit

Postby robbingdog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:19 pm

I don’t think they’re good enough
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:19 pm

We have to make a lot of changes next game, not only due to tonight being dreadful, but mainly because they’re mostly all clearly shattered. If we keep running the same lads in to the ground every few days we will keep getting beat. It happening already as we can see.

Stech in for Stone
Gordon back in at right back
Perch in at CB’s for either of those pair at the back, take your pick cos both deserve a game out after that debacle.
Benning back in at LB (forced anyway)

Not much we can do in midfield due to lack of bodies, but if Quinn is fit then bring him back in for Law

Sinclair on the left
Reid up top (to be replaced by Bowery later or other way round)
Sarkic on the right for Charsley.

Other option is to play Gordon right wing, Sarkic left, and O’Keeffe at RB.

Really frustrated that we are so light of options for out and out strikers.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Goes to show how much we miss lapslie.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:20 pm

broomo wrote:
lifestags wrote:Go and sign some free agents, freshen this squad up. He should never of let Cook go.

Weren't you saying all through the window Cook and Maynard should/would leave?

I was, as I expected him to sign an out an out striker, not a winger who he don’t even put on when we’re desperate for a goal.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:20 pm

lifestags wrote:Go and sign some free agents, freshen this squad up. He should never of let Cook go.

You make it sound like Cook wanted to be here, he didn't. Neither did Maynard. Both contracts were up in the summer and they wanted to go get first team football. It would've been a dick move to have kept one or both of them here when they didn't want to be here because they weren't playing.

Clough also thought he'd probably get Akins on the last day of the window too, but because of other clubs not getting their players it meant we didn't get ours.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:21 pm

lifestags wrote:
Harrington St Stag wrote:Disappointed on two fronts. The performance was one aspect, but also Clough’s refusal to make more changes. After Saturday I thought he’d do more, but instead we roll out an almost identical 11 (except Law for Quinn) and press repeat on the performance button.

I struggle to understand Stone in goal, I don’t get McLaughan instead of Benning, Charsley appears devoid of energy and confidence, and the Read/Bowery combo is going nowhere.

We were awful tonight.

I think he is stubborn, I thought he was stubborn in the transfer window and is stubborn with his selections.

Of course he is stubborn, he’s like his dad. That’s what made them such good managers and that’s what will keep us up. If you think Nigel will put up with that, think again and then watch the improvement.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:21 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We have to make a lot of changes next game, not only due to tonight being dreadful, but mainly because they’re mostly all clearly shattered. If we keep running the same lads in to the ground every few days we will keep getting beat. It happening already as we can see.

Stech in for Stone
Gordon back in at right back
Perch in at CB’s for either of those pair at the back, take your pick cos both deserve a game out after that debacle.
Benning back in at LB (forced anyway)

Not much we can do in midfield due to lack of bodies, but if Quinn is fit then bring him back in for Law

Sinclair on the left
Reid up top (to be replaced by Bowery later or other way round)
Sarkic on the right for Charsley.

Really frustrated that we are so light of options for out and out strikers.

I'd agree with all of those changes.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Anything has to better than Reid up front.

Hate saying that but I am afraid he’s not up to it
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm

they want hanging out to dry after that performance Cloughie
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

You make it sound like Cook wanted to be here, he didn't. Neither did Maynard. Both contracts were up in the summer and they wanted to go get first team football. It would've been a dick move to have kept one or both of them here when they didn't want to be here because they weren't playing.

Clough also thought he'd probably get Akins on the last day of the window too, but because of other clubs not getting their players it meant we didn't get ours.

Then we needed some loans, if the loan window was open?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 pm

robbingdog wrote:Anything has to better than Reid up front.

Hate saying that but I am afraid he’s not up to it

Haaland and mbappe would have struggled with the service today, the midfield did a maddie mccann again
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 pm

George Lapslie must be some player, because, judging by that, he's been doing the work of five players before he got injured!
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 pm

broomo wrote:I'm not one who likes to criticise but that was woeful, from front to back and including Stone who's kicking was just abysmal.

I don't think Perch found a Mansfield player from a single one of his 150 throw ins and the 2 central defenders who looked unflappable have suddenly turned into schoolboys. Sweeney is back to giving away stupid fouls every 2 minutes.

Law didn't take his chance.

Struggling to find anything even semi positive to say about that.

Harrogate are a horrible side to play against but we were just terrible all over the park.
I think Nigel will have to treat the squad like he did when he first took over. The enforced break hasn't helped or the shipping of goals in the previous two games. Any insight Broomo how Nigel will sort it ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 pm

If you know you are letting 2 out and out strikers go then you have one lined up as a replacement? No? Yeah Akins fell through but a striker should of been his back up. I still feel like we need to look at free transfers. Can’t have performances like that from our strikers/attacking players, especially if he is only going to bring Sinclair on for five minutes.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

As you can tell, I’m not happy so will probably regret these posts in the morning, i don’t mind losing but there is a way to lose, so frustrating.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i don’t think the players are bothered

Certainly our captain looked like he couldn’t be bothered. We lack leaders the sooner we get 4-5 wins the better the squad needs a major overhaul
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:34 pm

lifestags wrote:If you know you are letting 2 out and out strikers go then you have one lined up as a replacement? No? Yeah Akins fell through but a striker should of been his back up. I still feel like we need to look at free transfers. Can’t have performances like that from our strikers/attacking players, especially if he is only going to bring Sinclair on for five minutes.

Has anyone got a list of free agents? I'd imagine there's a lot, and many of them won't be match fit and/or haven't played games in months/year. They'll also just get up to speed just as the season is coming to an end.

I don't think Clough will sign any free agents but that's just me.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
broomo wrote:I'm not one who likes to criticise but that was woeful, from front to back and including Stone who's kicking was just abysmal.

I don't think Perch found a Mansfield player from a single one of his 150 throw ins and the 2 central defenders who looked unflappable have suddenly turned into schoolboys. Sweeney is back to giving away stupid fouls every 2 minutes.

Harrogate are a horrible side to play against but we were just terrible all over the park.
I think Nigel will have to treat the squad like he did when he first took over. The enforced break hasn't helped or the shipping of goals in the previous two games. Any insight Broomo how Nigel will sort it ?

Not really, other than one or two players will be getting some hone truths told to them.

He certainly won't hold back, whatever he says tonight on the radio there is no way he'll accept that level of performance.

Of course due to a couple of circumstances out of his control he's left the squad a bit light. I'm not sure what he does at centre half as those 2 have seemingly forgotten how to defend and Perch doesn't look great.

I'm struggling to see his options as he needs the squad on side to dig out some results still but I suspect he'll be rapidly drawing up plans for the summer.

It's a fine balance between hammering them and destroying the relationships.

I suspect he'll try to remind them of what they were doing so well that they've now stopped doing.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:37 pm

on PPG grimsby are set to get 39 (i know it’s not that simple) were on 34 already, with 17 games to go.

A point a game takes us to 51....

Yes, there’s stuff to be ironed out, relegation isn’t one of those things....
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:41 pm

What is worrying for me, at the start of the season whenever something went wrong our heads went down and we would struggle, Ollie Clarke mentioned this in an interview, we seemed to have gone back to that. First half performance was much better today, we concede and then put in that second half display.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:41 pm

What happened to pressing from kick off and scoring early
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm

broomo wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Not really, other than one or two players will be getting some hone truths told to them.

He certainly won't hold back, whatever he says tonight on the radio there is no way he'll accept that level of performance.

Of course due to a couple of circumstances out of his control he's left the squad a bit light. I'm not sure what he does at centre half as those 2 have seemingly forgotten how to defend and Perch doesn't look great.

I'm struggling to see his options as he needs the squad on side to dig out some results still but I suspect he'll be rapidly drawing up plans for the summer.

It's a fine balance between hammering them and destroying the relationships.

I suspect he'll try to remind them of what they were doing so well that they've now stopped doing.
Cheers for that. I agree he needs to remind them what they were doing right and what they are not doing now. For me (as others have said ) Lapslie seems key to getting this team ticking over. I think we will survive, however tonight's performance is a worry and is causing me a glimmer of doubt.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm

adamstag wrote:on PPG grimsby are set to get 39 (i know it’s not that simple) were on 34 already, with 17 games to go.

A point a game takes us to 51....

Yes, there’s stuff to be ironed out, relegation isn’t one of those things....

Agree, we'll win another 5 games comfortably and will be nowhere near bottom two but this is a spell none of us were expecting and our confidence has gone from sky high to rock bottom.

We need a clean sheet and we need one badly.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm

Classic MTFC five wins huge steps forwards then the obligatory steps back
Really disappointed but I back Nigel still to sort out
Seems he has not really strengthened the side in Jan at all

I think the break has started the rot and loss of Lapslie as well but I have no idea why Rawson Sweeney have gone off the boil
Think we just want this season over and out
Copy that !!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 pm

The One wrote:What happened to pressing from kick off and scoring early

We mentioned mid match that we've stopped pressing at all and not flooding forward like when he first arrived????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum