{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Give me a positive from that

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Give me a positive from that

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Do we think the issue is fitness? Cambridge looked fitter than us yesterday especially towards the end of the game.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 pm

Dan wrote:Do we think the issue is fitness? Cambridge looked fitter than us yesterday especially towards the end of the game.

I think yesterday you could see which team played midweek & which one didn't. Physically this squad is as fit as any, just a mental frailty I think. Something I would have hoped the winning run would has remedied.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:15 pm

0-3 at home 0-0 half time = still hurts now
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Dan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:So the bench was “too weak” a few days ago yet today the only bright spots were two players coming off our “weak bench”. I love this place :lol: :lol:

Dan, the point that was made following the Bolton defeat was the bench was so weak Nigel wouldn't use it.?

But he did use it and that’s what cost us the game.

Benning, no one else. You are letting yourself down Dan with comments like that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Dan wrote:Do we think the issue is fitness? Cambridge looked fitter than us yesterday especially towards the end of the game.

Fit enough IMO but they have been playing on sodden pitches, we know Bowery is carrying an injury and it seems Quinn is too.

Same eleven, irrespective of injury, providing they can walk they play it seems.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Personally I think it's fatigue. You've only go to look at the games we've had and how many have played all 90 minutes of the games.

You couple that with the training. Not having a go at training BTW. During the postponement period we had we would have trained as though the game was on so would have been light sessions. Then we are playing in below freezing conditions and heavy pitches make it far from ideal.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm

I think regular games overall good to keep momentum going and to remedy a poor performance quickly
I do think that the break period did affect the flow of the good run and the last 2 home games letting in 6 goals and no points has now scuppered any play off aspirations but I think Nigel and us all are looking to next season more and after that the bench needs better quality to bring on later in the games as Bolton were able to do
Cambridge are the best team in the league of course but u don’t want to lose by that margin
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Cambridge brought home our main problem, not enough quality players in the squad, but also we have to put together a promotion squad capable of climbing the football league table.
Since 2004/5, 12 years have been in league 2, and 5 in the Conference, now quality players cost money, stabilizing the club, plus ground improvement cost money.
Our team at present is a standard league 2 side, and throwing cash once more on standard players in January during a pandemic, This club cannot afford to follow the path of the last 17 seasons, and change is required, now the positives get a manager who can improve the infrastructure, who knows what it takes to build a good group of players, and is big enough to make the big decisions, After this bad run we are still 11 points clear of relegation, we are cost cutting getting rid of high earners, so we move forward within our budget as a club.
Promotion was always a outside chance after a very poor start, Clough has backed his judgement we have enough to stay up, me i am still nervous
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Respect Nigel, but to say we matched them for most of the game is just pure fantasy. When the pressure is on,this team crumbles, especially at home, and has done for the last two seasons.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Torrystag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:59 pm

First half we matched them but they looked better ,second half they mullered us not by play but by pure clinicity ,if thats a word :o
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:09 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:So the bench was “too weak” a few days ago yet today the only bright spots were two players coming off our “weak bench”. I love this place :lol: :lol:

Dan, the point that was made following the Bolton defeat was the bench was so weak Nigel wouldn't use it.?

But he did use it and that’s what cost us the game.

Benning, no one else. You are letting yourself down Dan with comments like that.

:lol: How am I letting myself down by telling the truth?! :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:06 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Respect Nigel, but to say we matched them for most of the game is just pure fantasy. When the pressure is on,this team crumbles, especially at home, and has done for the last two seasons.

I think we matched them. They were just better in both boxes. Reid missed a free header, Mullin converted a free shot. Knibbs hit the target with a shot from just inside the box, Bowery curled his wide. Mullin beat the keeper at the far post, Reid hit the keeper who was already on the floor.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Respect Nigel, but to say we matched them for most of the game is just pure fantasy. When the pressure is on,this team crumbles, especially at home, and has done for the last two seasons.

I think we matched them. They were just better in both boxes. Reid missed a free header, Mullin converted a free shot. Knibbs hit the target with a shot from just inside the box, Bowery curled his wide. Mullin beat the keeper at the far post, Reid hit the keeper who was already on the floor.

And that is the nature of football. Small moments often count but we make judgements based on the scoreline.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dan wrote:
part time pete wrote:Did we beat Cambridge on xG's

:lol: :lol: You just had to didn’t you?! :D

1.3 v 1.3

So this means they have a better shot stopper than us or a better goal scorer.

Oh look, who is top of the goal scoring charts.

I thought there were two even sides yesterday except for the goal scorer, which proves the xG’s theory. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:27 am

part time pete wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Dan wrote:
part time pete wrote:Did we beat Cambridge on xG's

:lol: :lol: You just had to didn’t you?! :D

1.3 v 1.3

So this means they have a better shot stopper than us or a better goal scorer.

Oh look, who is top of the goal scoring charts.

I thought there were two even sides yesterday except for the goal scorer, which proves the xG’s theory. ;)

Xg says we drew 4 -3
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:26 pm

Forget xGoals. Being the form team during January we have not made proper use of the Logacta yellow dice during February's games.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 pm

So let's hope the positive from that game was that Law is ready for a league start and he lives up to the expectations
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm

0-0 tonight
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm

nice cameo appearance edders,probably my favourite poster on here
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:33 pm

Torrystag wrote:nice cameo appearance edders,probably my favourite poster on here

Nice of you to say so :)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 pm

Tis true most think they are jamie carragher ,or gary neville ,i like a nice simple one liner or a killer put down
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:45 pm

Torrystag wrote:Tis true most think they are jamie carragher ,or gary neville ,i like a nice simple one liner or a killer put down

I am struggling to complete a whole line about our performance against Harrogate.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:54 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Torrystag wrote:Tis true most think they are jamie carragher ,or gary neville ,i like a nice simple one liner or a killer put down

I am struggling to complete a whole line about our performance against Harrogate.

Its easy as spiro pointed out to me if you just post THIS it means you agree with the post ,just re,arrange the letters of this its easy bud
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Absolutely nothing to take out of that game. Not one positive. Harogate were limited, but we looked National League standard.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:So let's hope the positive from that game was that Law is ready for a league start and he lives up to the expectations

I'm afraid he didn't George
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum