{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Give me a positive from that

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Give me a positive from that

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 am

So the bench was “too weak” a few days ago yet today the only bright spots were two players coming off our “weak bench”. I love this place :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:29 am

part time pete wrote:Did we beat Cambridge on xG's

:lol: :lol: You just had to didn’t you?! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:05 am

Dan wrote:So the bench was “too weak” a few days ago yet today the only bright spots were two players coming off our “weak bench”. I love this place :lol: :lol:

My point still stands, it is too weak. No one has seen law play a competitive game for 5 seasons so he cannot be used as a comparable measure when that thread was made. Did he do ok when he came on, yes. Did we concede 2 when he came on yes. Not his fault, but it didn't change the game. So yes, bench is too weak.

I think law should start to freshen things up next game for the record
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 am

yorkshire stag wrote:wish the pub was open, need a pint with Spiro & Old Stag to tell me it will be ok

Wish it were that simple pal. No amount of ale can hide the fact we are an average team who buckle at the first sniff of adversity. 23 points disgorged after leading games says so.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 am

Dan wrote:So the bench was “too weak” a few days ago yet today the only bright spots were two players coming off our “weak bench”. I love this place :lol: :lol:

I can only assume you’re joking.

Two completely unproven youngsters came off the bench and luckily managed to look decent in a very poor side.

I wouldn’t say that constitutes a strong bench. If anything it proves the opposite.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 am

The positive is that NC knows he probably needs 8 new 1st team players...
This is how I see it..
NEW GK
GORDON NEW NEW NEW
CLARKE NEW
LAPSLIE
NEW NEW
NEW

How I'm hoping/thinking NC recruits

GK
GORDON BRAYFORD WALLACE TANSER

EDWARDS CLARKE

LAPSLIE
AKINS ALFIE MAY
BOWMAN

We live in hope.... :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:26 am

Dan wrote:
part time pete wrote:Did we beat Cambridge on xG's

:lol: :lol: You just had to didn’t you?! :D

1.3 v 1.3
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:45 am

:roll:
The bench the squad whatever you wish to call it is now too weak that is not a criticism of NC in fact he has done an amazing job, to get both Cook and Maynard out the door ready for next season will in the long term prove to be the right decision.

However coupled with a few unlucky injuries we now find ourself with a totally threadbare squad, over a course of a whole season this current set-up would prove disastrous, fortunately we are over halfway through and we just need to see the season out and prepare for the next
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:07 am

Dan, the point that was made following the Bolton defeat was the bench was so weak Nigel wouldn't use it.

Yesterday (Cambridge Utd), proved the point again. Nigel chose to, more or less, blood two youngsters who, if nothing else, added fresh legs and enthusiasm. The more experienced pro's were left on the bench until Bowery was pulled off with, what is reported as, an injury.

We all love Nigel, we want him to succeed, we know we will survive but letting four players leave during the window and not recruiting wisely he made a mistake. If deals fell through because of Burton Albion's failure to recruit then we should have stopped Maynard leaving at least.

Losing is not particularly the issue, it's how you lose?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 am

Cook & Maynard were either incapable or unwilling to play the way their boss wanted them to.

Even if they hadn't been shipped out I don't see that NC would ever have trusted them with more than a few minutes game time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 am

victor A block wrote:The absolute first signing this summer is a goalkeeper. Confidence starts from there . The last decent one we had was Marriott. Stone unfortunately hasn't taken the chance Stech presented to him .
When the defence go missing the goalkeeper has to step up .
His ratio of shots saved to shots on target is pretty poor . Were any of the 3 today howlers ? No .
But a top level league 2 keeper saves 1 or 2 or all 3 of those .
Sweeney and Rawson need some competition . McLaughlin can't defend .
I don't think midfield is too far off with Clarke , Lapslie and a fit Quinn .
Strikers needed . Reid seems a nailed on starter and outside of 2 or 3 decent games hasn't done anything to justify it .
I think another poster has said that him and Bowery have only 11 goals between them at this stage of the season . Never going to be enough .
Law and Sinclair did well and need more game time when safety is assured .

Agree about a keeper. Stone is still very young for a GK and should be developed as an understudy.

Reid is a confidence striker, like many. He will get better and more consistent under Clough, but needs a good attack around him, ie. wingers with talent - could be Law and Sinclair.

Midfield is fine. We have quality and experience there. What I don't get is why Perch isn't back at centre half and O'Keeffe isn't getting a run. Rawson doesn't have any footballing skill about him.

Happy with Bowery, but hopefully the new lad can offer some competition. I'd also bring Mal back in.

In summer we need strikers, wingers, defenders in all positions and a keeper.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 am

Random Hero wrote:

I can only assume you’re joking.

Two completely unproven youngsters came off the bench and luckily managed to look decent in a very poor side.

I wouldn’t say that constitutes a strong bench. If anything it proves the opposite.

Luckily? I think that’s quite insulting to two young lads who looked very good against a team top of the league.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:14 am

oldweststander wrote:

Dan, the point that was made following the Bolton defeat was the bench was so weak Nigel wouldn't use it.?

But he did use it and that’s what cost us the game.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am

Sneag wrote:Cook & Maynard were either incapable or unwilling to play the way their boss wanted them to.

Even if they hadn't been shipped out I don't see that NC would ever have trusted them with more than a few minutes game time.

I think he was right to move them on, I was never a fan of either. However, they should have been replaced by an out and out striker, I think that was a mistake. Mid table would be a decent finish considering the start.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:09 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Dan, the point that was made following the Bolton defeat was the bench was so weak Nigel wouldn't use it.

Yesterday (Cambridge Utd), proved the point again. Nigel chose to, more or less, blood two youngsters who, if nothing else, added fresh legs and enthusiasm. The more experienced pro's were left on the bench until Bowery was pulled off with, what is reported as, an injury.

We all love Nigel, we want him to succeed, we know we will survive but letting four players leave during the window and not recruiting wisely he made a mistake. If deals fell through because of Burton Albion's failure to recruit then we should have stopped Maynard leaving at least.

I don’t accept it was a mistake to let four players leave without replacements. I think Clough was fully aware of what he was doing and saw it as a small calculated risk knowing we have enough to avoid relegation. He has no other objective at this point and he substantially reduced the wage bill and also gave the players the chance to get a club for next year. That shows good forward planning, good man management and shows why he is a top manager who players want to join knowing they will be fairly treated if they don’t quite fit plans.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:Cook & Maynard were either incapable or unwilling to play the way their boss wanted them to.

I think he was right to move them on, I was never a fan of either. However, they should have been replaced by an out and out striker, I think that was a mistake. Mid table would be a decent finish considering the start.

I think at 23:00 on transfer deadline day that was probably still the plan.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:wish the pub was open, need a pint with Spiro & Old Stag to tell me it will be ok

Wish it were that simple pal. No amount of ale can hide the fact we are an average team who buckle at the first sniff of adversity. 23 points disgorged after leading games says so.

That stat is staggering.

Have you broken it down to before and after NC at all?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think at 23:00 on transfer deadline day that was probably still the plan.

I'm sure it was, but it does look like we didn't have a Plan B if things didn't work out with Burton. Even without injuries we are clearly one, maybe two strikers short. Injuries to Lapslie and Gordon haven't helped of course.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 pm

broomo wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

That stat is staggering.

I only make it 21

GC - 8 (Orient 2, Newport 3, Exeter 3)
RC - 4 (Walsall 2, Bolton 2)
NC - 9 (Colchester 2, Crawley 2, Colchester 2, Bolton 3)

Pts gained from losing positions

GC - 1 (Morecambe 1)
RC - N/A
NC - 6 (Oldham 3, Grimsby 1, Southend 1, Walsall 1)
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:47 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

I don’t accept it was a mistake to let four players leave without replacements. I think Clough was fully aware of what he was doing and saw it as a small calculated risk knowing we have enough to avoid relegation. He has no other objective at this point and he substantially reduced the wage bill and also gave the players the chance to get a club for next year. That shows good forward planning, good man management and shows why he is a top manager who players want to join knowing they will be fairly treated if they don’t quite fit plans.
couldn't agree more. Judge the squad in September.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

That stat is staggering.

GC - 8
RC - 4
NC - 11 (7 in the last four games)

Thanks.

So that's 8 in 10 games for GC
4 in 2 games for RC (who was bloody unlucky to be fair)

And 11 in 20 games for NC but 4 in 16 prior to the last 4 games, which suggests we WERE making progress on that front but have literally thrown it away.

It's fairly easy to see how we'll progress next season then.

Stop throwing away leads and we'll be right in the mix.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:52 pm

broomo wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

That stat is staggering.

GC - 8
RC - 4
NC - 11 (7 in the last four games)

Thanks.

So that's 8 in 10 games for GC
4 in 2 games for RC (who was bloody unlucky to be fair)

And 11 in 20 games for NC but 4 in 16 prior to the last 4 games, which suggests we WERE making progress on that front but have literally thrown it away.

It's fairly easy to see how we'll progress next season then.

Stop throwing away leads and we'll be right in the mix.

Just FYI I’ve update the stats since then Broomo (see above). Initial ones quoted were incorrect I think.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

That stat is staggering.

I only make it 21

GC - 1 (Morecambe 1)
RC - N/A

23 or 21 it's too many and shows the frailty of the side. Which is one of the reasons we lie where we do
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:29 pm

Spiritater wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
broomo wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

That stat is staggering.

I only make it 21

GC - 1 (Morecambe 1)
RC - N/A

23 or 21 it's too many and shows the frailty of the side. Which is one of the reasons we lie where we do

Agreed! I originally counted 23 too, think I included the Walsall game the other day by mistake.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:00 pm

The reward for scoring equaliser is only half the punishment for conceding one. Damn this modern 3 points for a win raspberrys.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum