{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Cambridge Utd post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Cambridge Utd post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:03 am

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Cambridge Utd post match & match highlight

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 am

1st goal an abomination. That slacker McLaughlin is a passenger in the side. Aiden at fault for No2 yes but the other two blame lies firmly with the players in front of him.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:30 am

Law to start Tuesday.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 am

Thanks again SOS
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:03 am

Spiritater wrote:1st goal an abomination. That slacker McLaughlin is a passenger in the side. Aiden at fault for No2 yes but the other two blame lies firmly with the players in front of him.

Stephen McLaughlin played better than some critics on here are giving him credit for Mark particularly in the first half. Ryan Sweeney is arguably at fault for all three goals and you can also blame Harry Charsley, Farrend Rawson, James Perch and McLaughlin for two of them. It's a team game and you need to defend as a team.

We had already been given one warning in the 39th minute when we left Wes Hoolihan and Liam O'Neil free at the far post after Hoolahan's corner was cleared. Aidan Stone saved Hoolahan's shot. George Maris and Jamie Reid were the players closest to Hoolahan when he took the corner and then switched off and Ollie Clarke was marking O'Neil and let him run free to the back post. Stephen Quinn also should have picked up O'Neil as he is coming forward from the near post. He is watching the ball and leaves O'Neil completely free instead of marking him.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:27 am

If Nigel was a poster on this or the Fbook site he would be slagged off for being positive. Give the players a break, they are playing twice a week on awful pitches whilst carrying knocks. He's dragged us out of the relegation mire so let us be more positive.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:28 am

The One wrote:Thanks again SOS

You're welcome

:coys:
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby northern stag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:46 am

On all the evidence I’ve seen this season if we are serious about being a promotion team next year, I can’t see Bowery,Reid or Charsley being regular starters , in my very humble opinion, collectively they are just not good enough to all play together, squad players at best
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:08 am

northern stag wrote:On all the evidence I’ve seen this season if we are serious about being a promotion team next year, I can’t see Bowery,Reid or Charsley being regular starters , in my very humble opinion, collectively they are just not good enough to all play together, squad players at best

It's a humble opinion shared by many. Throw in Benning, McLaughlin, Sweeney, Perch, Stech, Stone and you can really empty the swamp.
At the moment the much vaunted Quinn looks an unfit old man, in footballing terms of course.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:02 pm

Am I the only one who thinks people are being harsh on Quinn?

I think he’s played quite well for the most part, he was the best player on the pitch in the Bolton game in my opinion, and in both that game and yesterday we quickly fell apart after he was subbed off.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Am I the only one who thinks people are being harsh on Quinn?

I think he’s played quite well for the most part, he was the best player on the pitch in the Bolton game in my opinion, and in both that game and yesterday we quickly fell apart after he was subbed off.

You are not the only one, I absolutely agree with you. I blamed Sweeney who was very poor!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Am I the only one who thinks people are being harsh on Quinn?

No you're not.

We don't do pragmatism on this board a player is either the new Messi or utter dogdo. Sometimes this view can be held about the same player, in the same week, by the same poster.

The team is either charging to promotion or the worst squad in the history of MTFC.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Whilst Quinn had a couple of reasonable games, I think he was a long way off the best player on the pitch.

He was match fit when he arrived having played a large number of games in a higher division. He was coming to a team playing to a managers instructions that he is very familiar with. The coaching staff were also well known to him having worked with them previously.

Yes he still has to fit in with his new surroundings and team mates and he appears to have done that reasonably well. Overall satisfactory but I expect better in the future from a player with such a large reputation. I am more than willing to give him the time and encouragement to attain that level but he isn’t there yet which is only to be expected.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Whilst Quinn had a couple of reasonable games, I think he was a long way off the best player on the pitch.

He was match fit when he arrived having played a large number of games in a higher division. He was coming to a team playing to a managers instructions that he is very familiar with. The coaching staff were also well known to him having worked with them previously.

Yes he still has to fit in with his new surroundings and team mates and he appears to have done that reasonably well. Overall satisfactory but I expect better in the future from a player with such a large reputation. I am more than willing to give him the time and encouragement to attain that level but he isn’t there yet which is only to be expected.

He's also getting used to a new role, at least one he's not played since his mid 20's. He's not a winger but how many times have we seen him on the edge of the opponents box trying to get a cross in or link up with either McLaughlin or Bowery?

And yes, I agree with the other couple of posters who think folk are being too harsh on him.

If he's ever able to dislodge Maris, who deserves his place based on performances, we'll see a much better Quinn but I also think he was very good v Bolton and pretty good yesterday.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Quinn gives 100% every game and is playing with a injury, some fans think because they are on the pitch they are 100% fit, Quinn gives confidence and encouragement to players
and has fitted in quite well i thought, still gave us 60 minutes, and things did not improve after he left the field,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:19 pm

bear 73 wrote:Quinn gives 100% every game and is playing with a injury, some fans think because they are on the pitch they are 100% fit, Quinn gives confidence and encouragement to players
and has fitted in quite well i thought, still gave us 60 minutes, and things did not improve after he left the field,

So why is the messiah NG playing him if unfit ? Maybe it’s because he made a complete hash of the transfer window? Just a thought
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm

If he's playing with an injury then why is he playing? He is one of 4 central midfielders who has started the last 2.

He could just as easily put Benning at left back and move McLaughlin further forwards. According to a forest supporting mate he played central midfield for them often.

After losing Lapslie I would have though Clough wouldn't make the same mistake twice.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Out of interest, how many weeks has Lapslie been out. ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:30 pm

The One wrote:Out of interest, how many weeks has Lapslie been out. ?

12 days so far. 16 to go on initial estimates. Another 5 or 6 matches without him potentially, if not more.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:Out of interest, how many weeks has Lapslie been out. ?

12 days so far. 16 to go on initial estimates. Another 5 or 6 matches without him potentially, if not more.

Thanks. Thoight it was longer with postponements .
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:42 pm

To those asking why we are playing Quinn with an injury just look what happened when he went off in the last two games and there’s your answer.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:54 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Quinn gives 100% every game and is playing with a injury, some fans think because they are on the pitch they are 100% fit, Quinn gives confidence and encouragement to players

So why is the messiah NG playing him if unfit ? Maybe it’s because he made a complete hash of the transfer window? Just a thought

Maybe you just can't help chatting raspberries? Just a thought.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Quinn has done well overall . Clearly not fully match fit as he hasn't finished games . Good signing . The loss of Lapslie has probably pushed him further up the field than he would prefer .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:14 pm

I think he’s a good player but I don’t think he suits the role he’s being asked to play. Given our defence has become leaky of late I would be tempted to play a double pivot of Maris and Quinn, rather than the single with Maris on his own.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Billy the fish wrote:

So why is the messiah NG playing him if unfhit ? Maybe it’s because he made a complete hash of the transfer window? Just a thought

Maybe, you are right.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum