{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

virtual fans forum, with David Sharpe and Nigel Clough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: virtual fans forum, with David Sharpe and Nigel Clough

Postby broomo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Torrystag wrote:
broomo wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Please, someone ask him what his favourite pizza topping is :lol:

I do know that but will not divulge this information.
Seriously my wife very often served him in a Pizza takeaway in Belper. He usually came in on a Sunday evening for the the family tea when Brian was alive. Used to bring his kids with him too.
Apparently it was a family get together on Sundays

Big tradition in their house. Must have switched to pizza after the Shing Do in Derby closed.

God but I miss those Yuk Sung, Fried Shredded Beef in ginger and 2 ice cream in chocolate sauce Sunday dinners :-(

Please go disappear elsewhere ,you are so tiresome

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Chacawab » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:45 pm

I enjoy Broomo’s insight. Look forward to his posts
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Torrystag » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:25 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I enjoy Broomo’s posts too. He adds good value to the board.

Hopefully he and Nigel are here for a good few years to come

Well if they come as a pair i hope so to
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Questions For Nigel

Postby Stagdale » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:16 pm

There is no doubt Nigel has done a great job since he came but there are a few things that really concern me:

1. All three goals came from the rhs tonight. It is blindingly obvious that we are very weak down both flanks. Gordon/Perch/McLaughlin will never be full backs. Why play them there especially McLaughlin who doesn’t relish a tackle and distribution is questionable? This should have been addressed in the January transfer window.

2. Why do we release two recognised strikers and replace only one with someone with a lot to prove? I know they were high earners but they should have been kept till the end of the season for cover if he was not prepared to start them and then let them go. We really could have done with Cook tonight to hold things up in their half.

3. The squad is threadbare. Fully accept we should not throw money at signings in January but why did he not get some loan signings in as cover? I thought his brother was good at seeking out decent players?

4. Our free kicks are absolutely awful. We very rarely create any danger from corners or set pieces. Why is this? It always appears like a hopeful punt which comes to nothing.

5. We have nobody up front who can head a ball. Why, therefore, do we persist in hitting high balls to Reid?

6. Why is he so reluctant to change things when it is not going to plan? Obviously with injuries and not replacing a striker his options are very limited with the bench we now have.

This is not yet Nigel’s team so let’s hope he can address these issues in the summer.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Questions For Nigel

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:18 pm

Stagdale wrote:There is no doubt Nigel has done a great job since he came but there are a few things that really concern me:

1. All three goals came from the rhs tonight. It is blindingly obvious that we are very weak down both flanks. Gordon/Perch/McLaughlin will never be full backs. Why play them there especially McLaughlin who doesn’t relish a tackle and distribution is questionable? This should have been addressed in the January transfer window.

2. Why do we release two recognised strikers and replace only one with someone with a lot to prove? I know they were high earners but they should have been kept till the end of the season for cover if he was not prepared to start them and then let them go. We really could have done with Cook tonight to hold things up in their half.

3. The squad is threadbare. Fully accept we should not throw money at signings in January but why did he not get some loan signings in as cover? I thought his brother was good at seeking out decent players?

4. Our free kicks are absolutely awful. We very rarely create any danger from corners or set pieces. Why is this? It always appears like a hopeful punt which comes to nothing.

5. We have nobody up front who can head a ball. Why, therefore, do we persist in hitting high balls to Reid?

6. Why is he so reluctant to change things when it is not going to plan? Obviously with injuries and not replacing a striker his options are very limited with the bench we now have.

This is not yet Nigel’s team so let’s hope he can address these issues in the summer.

Why don’t you ask these in the virtual fans forum that we have coming up ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Stagdale wrote:There is no doubt Nigel has done a great job since he came but there are a few things that really concern me:

Makes you wonder why we have only lost three games since he came here.

I didn't realise things were so bad
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

Why don’t you ask these in the virtual fans forum that we have coming up ?

Yes why take a new thread when he is not going to answer here ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:35 pm

Would take issue with a few of these. We scored from set pieces as both Oldham and Colchester, and created at least a coupled chances from them tonight.

I don’t think we do play high balls up to Reid?
Only 16% of our passes tonight were long, that’s very low for a L2 game. For context, 22% of Bolton’s were long.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Would take issue with a few of these. We scored from set pieces as both Oldham and Colchester, and created at least a coupled chances from them tonight.

Only 16% of our passes tonight were long, that’s very low for a L2 game. For context, 22% of Bolton’s were long.

You'd have thought we'd slipped into the relegation zone after tonight's defeat. Whilst it does hurt losing a game 2-0 up with 15 to go, a lot of people thrash the hell out of their keyboards just after the whistle is blown and the lost two/three months of progress seem to go out the window!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Would take issue with a few of these. We scored from set pieces as both Oldham and Colchester, and created at least a coupled chances from them tonight.

As I recall it the first goal at Colchester was an own goal.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:57 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

You'd have thought we'd slipped into the relegation zone after tonight's defeat. Whilst it does hurt losing a game 2-0 up with 15 to go, a lot of people thrash the hell out of their keyboards just after the whistle is blown and the lost two/three months of progress seem to go out the window!

The over reaction you get on here after a defeat is frankly flipping ridiculous.

We were excellent for 80 minutes and sliced cross got them back in the game. We've been fragile in the last 10 all season, but if he doesn't slice the cross we win the game.
Last edited by Sneag on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:01 pm

Stagdale wrote:

As I recall it the first goal at Colchester was an own goal.

Do own goals not count no more???
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm

I’ve read (and posted) some drivel on here over the years, but some of the reaction to tonight’s loss is hilarious.

Two poxy goals and a decent finish when momentum had swung. We just ran out of steam. Like a few have said, the squad is a player or two light and we have been a bit unlucky to lose Laps, Gordon and Sarkic at the same time.

We are clearly in for a re-model in the summer and the January outgoings have probably saved the club some financial hassle.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:46 pm

The only trouble with writing off 20 or so games each season, with the next rebuid, is that, before you know it, you are 5 years down the line and haven't progressed one inch.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:The only trouble with writing off 20 or so games each season, with the next rebuid, is that, before you know it, you are 5 years down the line and haven't progressed one inch.

We're 7/8 years down the line and haven't progressed an inch :lol:

Not on the pitch anyway!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:50 am

bigalstag1 wrote:The only trouble with writing off 20 or so games each season, with the next rebuid, is that, before you know it, you are 5 years down the line and haven't progressed one inch.

We are not "writing off" any games. Progress isn't necessarily measured by promotion. It is measured by improvement. It is measured by building stronger foundations. Two seasons ago we finished fourth in the league and we were on the cusp of promotion. Since then we have been on a downward spiral. The signs are that Nigel Clough has halted that descent, that in itself is success. He will use the rest of this season to build on that success, by assessing the squad, analysing the strength of the other teams in the league and determining what type of players he needs to bring in next season to build a promotion winning squad.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:38 pm

How has questions for a fans forum turned into abuse, for the record, read or not to read, that is the question, i choose to read, perhaps people telling others to leave should listen to their own advice, live and let live and just to annoy you more, i am looking forward to the book, good old broomo
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:51 pm

bear 73 wrote:How has questions for a fans forum turned into abuse, for the record, read or not to read, that is the question, i choose to read, perhaps people telling others to leave should listen to their own advice, live and let live and just to annoy you more, i am looking forward to the book, good old broomo
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Torrystag » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:53 pm

Well my post was nearly two weeks ago so thats well in the past ,any other posts are just fans views ,it a fans forum
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:03 pm

1. Perch has played right back for a good chunk of his career. I went on and on about Gordon at right back. Whilst I felt McLaughlin did well last night I'm still not 100% comfortable with him playing there.

2. Because they wanted to leave, certainly Maynard. Both see what's is happening with covid and we're worried about getting a deal for next season. I feel almost a guarantee that they would be released at the end of the season and wanted to leave to get sorted for next season. Nothing much we can do.

3. Perhaps there was no decent players left. We could delve into the free transfer market but again, they won't have played for a while, some for a year, that's a long time out and with us playing Sat-Tues for 5 or 6 weeks they won't get up to speed in time to make a difference.

4. Our free kicks and corners aren't that great. Alot of teams aren't that great either.

5. I don't think we do hit many high balls to Reid. Take away clearances under pressure they it's not many, if any. I guarantee that if under pressure we play a short pass that's intercepted people will want to know why we don't just smack it one.

6. Something that has baffled me all season. I'm an advocate of putting fresh legs on after an hour or so. We've ran the players into the ground then spent a few weeks training like we've got a game coming up and not having a game. So really we've basically had a few weeks off but trained the equivalent of part time to keep the lads fresh for a game that didn't materialise. I applaud winners stay on (or rather non-losers stay on) but knackered players come off. Bowery looked knackered at half time. It becomes a choice of knackered experienced pro vs energetic and hungry young lad. The young lad, however, is more likely to make mistakes and is lacking match sharpness. Clough is erring on the side of caution leaving the experienced pro on.

The refusal to make change to a non-losing side got Lapslie injured for 4 weeks. It is a concern. However this isn't his squad and maybe he's made his decision on the players not getting games and doesn't see the point in playing them when they will be released at the seasons end?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

1. Perch has played right back for a good chunk of his career. I went on and on about Gordon at right back. Whilst I felt McLaughlin did well last night I'm still not 100% comfortable with him playing there.

2. Because they wanted to leave, certainly Maynard. Both see what's is happening with covid and we're worried about getting a deal for next season. I feel almost a guarantee that they would be released at the end of the season and wanted to leave to get sorted for next season. Nothing much we can do.

3. Perhaps there was no decent players left. We could delve into the free transfer market but again, they won't have played for a while, some for a year, that's a long time out and with us playing Sat-Tues for 5 or 6 weeks they won't get up to speed in time to make a difference.

4. Our free kicks and corners aren't that great. Alot of teams aren't that great either.

5. I don't think we do hit many high balls to Reid. Take away clearances under pressure they it's not many, if any. I guarantee that if under pressure we play a short pass that's intercepted people will want to know why we don't just smack it one.

6. Something that has baffled me all season. I'm an advocate of putting fresh legs on after an hour or so. We've ran the players into the ground then spent a few weeks training like we've got a game coming up and not having a game. So really we've basically had a few weeks off but trained the equivalent of part time to keep the lads fresh for a game that didn't materialise. I applaud winners stay on (or rather non-losers stay on) but knackered players come off. Bowery looked knackered at half time. It becomes a choice of knackered experienced pro vs energetic and hungry young lad. The young lad, however, is more likely to make mistakes and is lacking match sharpness. Clough is erring on the side of caution leaving the experienced pro on.

The refusal to make change to a non-losing side got Lapslie injured for 4 weeks. It is a concern. However this isn't his squad and maybe he's made his decision on the players not getting games and doesn't see the point in playing them when they will be released at the seasons end?

I agree with that summary Gaza but would add that I don’t think Nigel will give game time to players who don’t want to be here so anyone who hasn’t bought in will only play when there is no alternative.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm

so how do i watch it live ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Says iits tonight, what time and how do we watch it ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:37 pm

The One wrote:Says iits tonight, what time and how do we watch it ?

is there an echo :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum