{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Trotters scorefred sponsored by The Moaning Sheep Wanderer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Trotters scorefred sponsored by The Moaning Sheep Wander

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Nigel has done a superb job since coming in, but I absolutely do not understand the Benning substitution there. Like a fish out of water in centre mid.

I don't get it either unless Quinn was knackered?

Who's the git moaning about subs other day :lol: told em they don't always pay off!
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:People can argue against it until they’re blue in the face, but the squad depth is a problem. If the manager feels Quinn needs to come off then fine, but the problem is we had absolutely nobody adequate to come on.

Its not really a problem because were aiming to avoid the drop which we will do with what we have. Thats the aim, he's clearly not arsed about needing loads of players to finish mid table. Frustrating but it won't be like this next season

It certainly feels like a problem tonight, it’s cost us 3 points. And we did have a sniff of the playoffs, however unlikely those odds were perceived to be but obviously fair to say that’s not realistic at all now.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:07 pm

I would rather we get quality in the summer than forced second or third choice signings during the winter window that will need shifting on after 6 or 18 months.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:08 pm

In November under Coughlan if someone had said we'd be mid table and comfortable in feb you'd have snatched their hands off. Clough has improved us a lot, he's not perfect but we'll bounce back from this.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:08 pm

That’s a shocker had to put my glasses on to see the final score as could not believe what I saw as last time I looked it was 2 nil to us.
Love Nigel to bits but even he must take the blame for this one a bit
Why Benning ????
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:09 pm

Lots of whinging about a weak bench but let's be real. Why waste any money this season on a massive outside bet of promotion. Better to have more to work with this summer when the gaffer can get the players he wants without the pressures of January.

Makes no sense at all to spend anymore than is needed to survive. The season is over and has been since Clough proved we can win games and won't go down.

Shocking turn around tonight. Gutted and annoyed.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:10 pm

We are massively missing Lapslie. He gets us moving at pace which would have undone Bolton tonight, not to mention his goal threat. Unfortunately we don’t have a similar player capable of adequately replacing him.

I still can’t understand what went wrong tonight apart from maybe a lack of belief. I don’t think the ref did us any favours and certainly didn’t treat both sides the same in respect of bookings.

We need to regroup and go again on Saturday when 3 points will make things seem a whole lot better.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Speechless ,new fredder needed
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:12 pm

We can all say “next seasons the aim” but I think there was a real chance to have a go at the play offs this season, I don’t think the teams in our league are great and when we had strength in depth i thought we might have a chance, he’s left us too short after the window and now I think we will settle for mid table.

I won’t take away how amazing clough has done so far just frustrated at the lack of options on the bench as I think it’s cost us twice now and will continue to cost us.

The players felt sorry for them-self too much when things were going wrong at the start of the season and they did it after their first goal tonight.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:15 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:People can argue against it until they’re blue in the face, but the squad depth is a problem. If the manager feels Quinn needs to come off then fine, but the problem is we had absolutely nobody adequate to come on.

Its not really a problem because were aiming to avoid the drop which we will do with what we have. Thats the aim, he's clearly not arsed about needing loads of players to finish mid table. Frustrating but it won't be like this next season

I concur. We all got a bit giddy with the unbeaten run, but this is still the same squad that didn't win till November.

I expect us to finish comfortably in mid table without wazzing away a load of dosh on panic signings in January & on the day Clogger got sacked I'd have snatched your hand off for that.

Frustrating tonight because Evatt is such a strawberry.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 pm

tillydog123 wrote:That’s a shocker had to put my glasses on to see the final score as could not believe what I saw as last time I looked it was 2 nil to us.
Love Nigel to bits but even he must take the blame for this one a bit
Why Benning ????

My sentiments exactly, Nigel has to start to trust his bench more he can't keep running his players into the mud when we have two games a week. The bench is weak because Nigel had a bad January window, for reasons best known to the club.

Why Benning because it would seem Nigel had no faith in the youngsters or the remaining fringe players.

Bolton and Colchester brought on fresh legs and took 4pts away from us that they didn't deserve. A squad of 19 first team players is just not enough.

And that pitch, not good enough, just not good enough.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm

We lost confidence, they grew in confidence. I still struggle to see how we let the first goal in. Stone out of position maybe? After that we started to wobble and they saw that.

Good to see Alex JB back at the Mill. Great player.
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

It certainly feels like a problem tonight, it’s cost us 3 points. And we did have a sniff of the playoffs, however unlikely those odds were perceived to be but obviously fair to say that’s not realistic at all now.

This season was never about playoffs. It was soon apparent that it was about avoiding the drop. I'm disappointed with the capitulation in the last ten minutes. So I can understand those that were expecting a playoff place will be devastated. I just hope this result hasn't shot the player's confidence.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 pm

The team has no backbone, no leaders on the pitch. Nobody that leads by example when things turn, we just collapse like a pack of cards. Thats what Clough has to address first, next season.
Until then, hopefully we can draw our way up to 50 points and turn Ifollow off.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:The team has no backbone, no leaders on the pitch. Nobody that leads by example when things turn, we just collapse like a pack of cards. Thats what Clough has to address first, next season.
Until then, hopefully we can draw our way up to 50 points and turn Ifollow off.

Did the team have a backbone before we kicked off tonight? Or are you just angry? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:24 pm

has Clough done a post match yet ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Could be worse... Could still be languishing in 23rd with cacklan in charge i spose
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Speechless ,new fredder needed

True, your misguided allegiance to The One yesterday has cost us :lol: Who's next up? Can't rely on The One I'm afraid he's still hunkering down behind the sofa :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:31 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:has Clough done a post match yet ?

He won't be happy with Aiden or the back four, they stopped doing what they'd done all game.

The closing down for all 3 goals was lethargic. Aiden can't let the first one in.

I think he'll be happy with the way we looked going forward and I think he'll say the front lads deserved better.

We had chances to equalise as well.

He'll probably mention how much their bench must be costing, inside he'll be seething and i expect he'kl have dished out a hammering but he seems calmer and less critical in his interviews.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:37 pm

16 points from 19 games is all we need. Forget playoffs.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

This season was never about playoffs. It was soon apparent that it was about avoiding the drop. I'm disappointed with the capitulation in the last ten minutes. So I can understand those that were expecting a playoff place will be devastated. I just hope this result hasn't shot the player's confidence.

The season started about the playoffs, and we quickly realised otherwise and completely agree that when Clough came in they were a pipe dream and not even in the thinking. That said, forgetting whatever the preconceived opinion was and purely from a table point of view, the upturn in form since Clough came in has been pretty dramatic (full credit to him of course) and we did give ourselves a shot at the playoffs. There’s a reason that we were being tipped as the team to break in, and whilst I agree we shouldn’t be judged against that it did feel like we passed that opportunity up on deadline day.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m chuffed with the job Clough has done and I’m very optimistic about what’s to come... just a touch frustrated that we’re currently naming one of our weakest benches in years and years and it’s seemingly costing us. Every faith we won’t be putting ourselves in this position next season though
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Spiritater wrote:16 points from 19 games is all we need. Forget playoffs.

True but the 5pts we’ve let slip in the last few minutes on Sunday and tonight would’ve seen us 10th, 4pts off 7th.

Never mind, there’s always next season! Not sure how I’ve ended up feeling so deflated on the day I’ve had my first vaccine dose :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:44 pm

ll 3 goals came from our right hand side.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Sedgwick wrote:this is the worst I've seen for a long time absolute shocking

Really?? Over reaction??

We played well until 79 minutes.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Speechless ,new fredder needed

True, your misguided allegiance to The One yesterday has cost us :lol: Who's next up? Can't rely on The One I'm afraid he's still hunkering down behind the sofa :lol:

Shaduppa your face :D
The One
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum