{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

weak bench cost us 3 points

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

weak bench cost us 3 points

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Last match i took some pelters on my comment about a weak bench costing us 3 points.

Well, it happened again! granted 2 poxy goals

The main aim for the season is safety, I get it, but that was poor at a time we need a bit of bite to come on. They made 4 impacting subs that changed the game. We have let 2 strikers go on loan, with non on the bench. Assume cain is injured?

bringing a full back on for a midfielder....

2 players booked within 10mins on eggshells all game
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: weak bench cost us 3 points

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Would we have lost if Quinn went off for Benning? who knows.

There's not much we can do with the bench until the new season, so we'll just have to get on with it.

Could say Clough should have signed more in Jan, but he doesn't seem to be the kind to sign 10 players every window
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:58 pm

We have enough to stop up and thats the only aim.... its annoying to watch but its going to happen.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:59 pm

i do concur. The only reason i have posted this, is because of the arrogant tone of some posters on this board. I merely made a comment last week, which imo is pretty accurate.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Sedgwick wrote:We have enough to stop up and thats the only aim.... its annoying to watch but its going to happen.

We've come a long way this season, from not being able to buy a bloody win to going 8 unbeaten.

People can moan about the bench, but Cloughs only lost 3 in 16 which is a great record.

Back to reality, we go again on Saturday I'm sure Nigel will let the lads know what he thought of that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:00 pm

We’ve thrown five points away in the space of four days now because of it.

We Sinclair and O’Keefe in the bench who could have given us a bit of energy in the last 10 minutes.

As soon as the scored the second, the last goal was just a matter of time
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 pm

In the long run that result will benefit us long term.

Weak bench sunday and wednesday - late goals conceded in both - that should have been 6 points.

When clough goes through the budget in the summer with JR results like the last 2 will back up his point.

For those who’d have a meltdown over losing how we did, last time we played bolton and drew 1-1, we were in the relegation zone, tonight were 11 (ELEVEN) points clear, were moving in the right direction
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Completely agree, he’s left us too short to challenge for play offs. They were the only team that were going to score at 2-1, we’ve gone back to feeling sorry for ourself when something goes against us like at the start of the season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:07 pm

We have Gordon to come back
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:08 pm

Get them youngsters blooded...let's see who is good enough for next seasons promotion assault...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Weak bench or not you shouldnt be losing a game when your 2-0 in the 72nd minute.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:16 pm

Gut wrenching.

We're 15 minutes away from every single poster on here coming on and saying what a brilliant performance, then a fluke, a mistake and a great finish and it's mainly doom and gloom.

We deserved to lose because we lost our heads.

We didn't deserve to lose because of the performance.

Thought Clarke, Quinn, Reid and Bowery had good games.

The lack of strikers on the bench dodn't cost us the game.

Mal Benning coming on and being absolutely raspberry did. Is that Nigel's fault? Possibly.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:18 pm

The lack of players to bring on certainly didn’t help Broomo, we were knackered and it’s only going to get worse. He won’t bring the likes of Sinclair on either which isn’t helping the situation.

On Quinn, thought he played well but he runs out of steam after 75 mins at the minute.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:20 pm

We need a quality goalkeeper . Stech has been poor and Stone for me hasn’t stepped up .
Their first goal tonight was massive . They were totally out of it at 2-0 and his positioning gifted them the chance to get back into it .
After that they had big guns to bring on and we couldn’t change anything because the bench is so light .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm

still in total shock absolute garbage last 10 mins
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:i do concur. The only reason i have posted this, is because of the arrogant tone of some posters on this board. I merely made a comment last week, which imo is pretty accurate.

I assume you're referring to my comments.

I didn't disagree that the bench was weak, just that it didn't cost us the points on Sunday.

Tonight, again, I'm not sure the bench cost us 3 points, possibly 2. Nothing any player could have done about their first. Definitely tired legs getting out to the 3rd.

But there's no doubt the bench is weak, as I said pre-match on Sunday.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm

Even if we've got a strong bench we very rarely use it, it isn't NC's style.

Very heavy pitch tonight, tough ask to expect them the play 90 minutes, probably all we needed was fresh legs to track theirs.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:26 pm

broomo wrote:Gut wrenching.

We're 15 minutes away from every single poster on here coming on and saying what a brilliant performance, then a fluke, a mistake and a great finish and it's mainly doom and gloom.

Mal Benning coming on and being absolutely raspberry did. Is that Nigel's fault? Possibly.

Benning is not a midfielder, totally alien to him, he would have been better slotting in at RB and let Perch go into midfield, or LB and McCoughlin into midfield.

Anyway, unbeaten run over, lets see how we react to that.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 pm

The starting 11 play thier hearts out until some are at a near standstill, when you are playing two games a week on heavy pitches you have to utilise your subs whether they are good or bad. One or two youngsters would have run for 10 mins and given Bolton something to think about.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Unfortunately against the better sides and I mean those with options off the bench not necessarily the starting 11 this was and will be the case between now and the end of the season.

We have option A which is a pretty good one now since Nigel came in, but running out of steam with so many games and absolutely no options ( will improve slightly once Laps & Gordon are back) will leave us vulnerable in the last 15 mins of games
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby diablo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:We have enough to stop up and thats the only aim.... its annoying to watch but its going to happen.

We've come a long way this season, from not being able to buy a bloody win to going 8 unbeaten.

People can moan about the bench, but Cloughs only lost 3 in 16 which is a great record.

Back to reality, we go again on Saturday I'm sure Nigel will let the lads know what he thought of that

I hope the lads let Clough know about his appalling last ten minutes decision not to bring fresh legs on ! their manager spotted we were running out of steam Mr Clough didn't or if he did he decided not to alter things..very poor management imo
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:36 pm

pemill wrote:

Benning is not a midfielder, totally alien to him, he would have been better slotting in at RB and let Perch go into midfield, or LB and McCoughlin into midfield.

He was on the edge of the 6 yard box when he sliced his clearance. He was brought on to make us more solid not for his midfield prowess.

I'd have preferred to see a proper midfielder come on but he still has to do better in his defensive duties.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm

We didn't have a proper midfielder on the bench though thats the point....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:42 pm

pemill wrote:

Benning"s defending is the problem.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:58 pm

Do we win the game if Stephen Quinn stays on the pitch?

I would have left him on. He was having his best game for us and he played really well with Stephen McLoughlin down the left.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum