{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Darren Drysdale

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Darren Drysdale

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

One for Svante and his favourite referee!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56096867

Referee Darren Drysdale has apologised for locking heads with Ipswich Town midfielder Alan Judge during the club's goalless draw against Northampton Town.

In a statement by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), 49-year-old Drysdale said he "did not maintain his composure".

The Lincolnshire official moved his head towards Judge late in the game and briefly appeared to square up to him.

"I can only apologise to Alan and Ipswich Town," Drysdale said.

"I fully understand it is important for us as referees to maintain our composure throughout the game and always engage with players in a professional manner.

"I'm sorry that I did not do that."

PGMOL confirmed the incident during Tuesday's League One fixture is now also being investigated by the Football Association.

"In line with their usual disciplinary process, it would not be appropriate to make any further comments," a PGMOL spokesperson said.

Northampton's Lloyd Jones led Drysdale away from the confrontation, which happened in stoppage time at Portman Road.

Republic of Ireland international Judge, 32, was booked for simulation shortly after and a couple of minutes later, his team-mate Flynn Downes was sent off for violent conduct.

Drysdale showed five yellow cards and a red card during the game. Ipswich manager Paul Lambert has also asked the EFL to investigate the confrontation.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: Darren Drysdale

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:28 pm

He's buggered and rightly so.

Totally unacceptable.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Human nature ,you can only take so much flak , you blow sometimes . Do like everybody else does .Say your sorry and move on
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Chacawab » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 pm

The most arrogant of referees - one of Svante’s favourites
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:11 pm

He shouldn't have done it, but it only highlights a real problem in football... zero respect for the ref by players and fans.

The abuse they get needs stamping out the game, Im not surprised he reacted.

I know its not remotely the same but I reffed a few kids Sunday league games to help someone out a couple years ago and the abuse from parents at that level was disgusting, even from some kids. Its a problem thats not really spoken about or addressed.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:15 pm

I agree. If you are going to look at this by all means but look at all concerned. Quite rightly the behaviour of fans is under scrutiny , now referees . It’s time for players to get their act together
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm

broomo wrote:He's buggered and rightly so.

Totally unacceptable.

I think you could also say the abuse they get is unacceptable...

I wouldn't usually take the side of the refs, for years I would probably be one shouting and moaning at them but having been involved in broadcast when you get an isolated feed to hear everything thats going on during a match its quite shocking what they put up with from so called "professionals"
Last edited by Sedgwick on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm

I can see more players getting booked for dissent following this incident. The FA won’t want a repeat and one way to avoid it is to reduce pressure on refs by cracking down on comments by players.

The way some players confront officials is nothing short of disgraceful and the more they get away with the more they will do it. Punish the confronters and the less likely it is to re-occur.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Ironic that he’s had to apologise when the player that instigated it hasn’t (they never do)

As others have said, time for the refs to get the card out whenever they receive abuse.

Maybe that will stop players acting like spoilt brats
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Beano wrote:Ironic that he’s had to apologise when the player that instigated it hasn’t (they never do)

As others have said, time for the refs to get the card out whenever they receive abuse.

In Norway they send players off who argue with decisions and crowd the ref, It hardly happens now. Always said they should do it and the same for diving.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:24 pm

The only referee I have come across to have the temerity to drive a car with a personalised number plate. Always got the impression that he was convinced that supporters came along to see him as well as the teams.

Having said that every man has his breaking point. I agree with others who commented about the verbal abuse some players and back room staff give them during matches. The whole fantasy of respect in the game is entirely that. A good start would be to place the 4th official away from the dugouts altogether. Some managers spend the entire game berating the 4th official from start to finish.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Beano wrote:Ironic that he’s had to apologise when the player that instigated it hasn’t (they never do)

Most amateur refs have been asking for this for decades, it's the FA's fault. Daz should not have done what he did and it is a bit in keeping with his character, but he should be punished in line with what a player would get for doing the same. I suspect he will be punished more harshly though.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Chris M wrote:The only referee I have come across to have the temerity to drive a car with a personalised number plate. Always got the impression that he was convinced that supporters came along to see him as well as the teams.

Having said that every man has his breaking point. I agree with others who commented about the verbal abuse some players and back room staff give them during matches. The whole fantasy of respect in the game is entirely that. A good start would be to place the 4th official away from the dugouts altogether. Some managers spend the entire game berating the 4th official from start to finish.
I don't think we've had a manager like that. :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm

been charged with improper conduct
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:He shouldn't have done it, but it only highlights a real problem in football... zero respect for the ref by players and fans.

The abuse they get needs stamping out the game, Im not surprised he reacted.

I know its not remotely the same but I reffed a few kids Sunday league games to help someone out a couple years ago and the abuse from parents at that level was disgusting, even from some kids. Its a problem thats not really spoken about or addressed.

Absolutely, so Drysdale has to apologise while the player has nothing to apologise for, yeah right :roll:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Suprised this hasnt happened sooner tbh.. Must be so hard to keep your cool as a ref nowadays.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: Darren
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Deserves all he gets....
Drysdale is a massive Jebend.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:51 pm

A jebend with his head on upside down nowadays it seems
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Well deserved. Should have been charged immediately after the MK Dons home game way back in October 2007 instead of being awarded with the Cheltenham v Oldham fixture in League One a few days later. He was also relegated to the Conf during the 2009-10, and sadly, we had the misfortune to get him twice then: against Stevenage at home in September 2009 and at Kettering in March 2010. Stagsnet report rating at Kettering then: 0, the same rating as against MK Dons in 2007. Speaks volumes.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Here he is! I’ve been waiting for you Svante :D

Cambridge have got a player called Drysdale, I wouldn’t be surprised if he scored just to wind you up a bit more :)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:25 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 am

The man is all ego, remember him turning up at the One Call with his personalised reg.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Philip » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:59 am

Kernow wrote:The man is all ego, remember him turning up at the One Call with his personalised reg.

Why is a personalised number plate a sign of ego? Frankly they are 2 a penny, for both private and commercial drivers.

I've never met Darren so can't comment on his personality.
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:06 am

Philip wrote:
Kernow wrote:The man is all ego, remember him turning up at the One Call with his personalised reg.

Why is a personalised number plate a sign of ego? Frankly they are 2 a penny, for both private and commercial drivers.

I've never met Darren so can't comment on his personality.

Well said.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum