{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

One year ago....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: One year ago....

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:46 pm

Dan wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:
Dan wrote:I don’t understand why places like outdoor stadiums are not open yet but you can go for a free for all in Asda. Surely if wearing a mask is so important to stop the spread etc then open football grounds up and make people wear masks. I’m sure people would rather do that than not see their team live. And if you don’t feel comfortable doing that then don’t go.

The supermarkets are not meant to be a “free for all”. Personally I can live without football but not without food. :roll:
It isn’t necessarily what you feel comfortable with. Even if you feel comfortable going to football grounds there is a chance that you could catch the virus and then,if you were a symptomatic, unknowingly pass it on to numerous other people that you contact while doing other things that you are comfortable with.
It is hard for almost everybody but let’s get the incident rate right down and then we can resume an almost normal life.

You should see some of the sights in our supermarkets. They want you to go in alone if possible yet we’ve got families of four strolling round like they’re on a day out, kids touching everything, people touching stuff then putting it back and they wonder why supermarkets are one of the highest places to catch it.

I have seen the supermarkets like this AND have walked out or not gone in if the car parks are too full or ( in lockdown 1)the queue outside was too big. I’ve worked all the way through, not from home because I can’t, and found it very frustrating not being able to get a few essentials on the way home. I’ve also found it difficult getting a suitable online shop due to having flexible work times. I tend to go early on either Saturday or Sunday.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:I’m 56 so in Priority group 8 for vaccination. They are currently inviting groups 5 & 6 ( over 65s and at risk/carers) as well as the second “jab” for those in the higher priority groups 1-4. If the take up rate is 80% ( it is currently higher) then I would get the first “jab” sometime between 14th and 28th April and the second in July. Any protection (not necessarily immunity) I get therefore wouldn’t be until sometime in May. The vaccine doesn’t guarantee 100% protection to 100% of those who have it but should prevent the worst effects of the virus.

Absolutely no chance of them allowing fans in this season, even with any mitigation of it being outdoors and masks being worn.
Talk of pubs,gigs etc being open by Easter (start of April) is absolute nonsense even though they are in dire financial need. It is the mixing of large groups of people that has helped keep us in lockdown ( and without football) for so long.

They will not wait for people to have their second jab before opening up the economy, indeed schools will open on 8 March (they were the main cause of high infection rates pre-lockdown) and I suspect if infection rates and hospitalisation rates continue to fall, non-essential shops will open and probably in Apr/May so will the pubs. I do not agree that their is no chance of fans being allowed in before the end of the season, though I would not be surprised if they weren't, after all you can currently go fishing for exercise so who knows what the rules might be :lol:

We might know more next Monday, then again, we might not.

I'm entirely with Rob (for a change). The second vaccination is a bit of a luxury, to give you a boost, but you should be almost entirely protected by the first. Particularly if you've already had Covid, when the first vaccination acts as the booster jab. Obviously I'm not advocating skipping the second jab, but it's not essential from the point of view of opening the country with limited precautions.
If we're confident in the science, it soon gets to the stage where being over-cautious is actually quite reckless. So once the over 50s and vulnerable are protected, it becomes hard to justify forcing businesses to stay closed or severely limited.

The second vaccination is not 'a bit of luxury' or 'to give you a boost'. It is an essential part of the required dosage as prescribed by the scientists who developed it. You are not 'almost entirely protected' by the first.
The vaccine rollout needs very careful management if it is to succeed. Releasing restrictions too early when people are only partially protected is the equivalent of taking half a course of antibiotics, and could actually lead to a vaccine-resistant strain of the virus that will put us back to square one.
Restrictions need to stay in place till all 9 priority groups have received their 2nd dose, otherwise we will be locking down again next winter.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:I’m 56 so in Priority group 8 for vaccination. They are currently inviting groups 5 & 6 ( over 65s and at risk/carers) as well as the second “jab” for those in the higher priority groups 1-4. If the take up rate is 80% ( it is currently higher) then I would get the first “jab” sometime between 14th and 28th April and the second in July. Any protection (not necessarily immunity) I get therefore wouldn’t be until sometime in May. The vaccine doesn’t guarantee 100% protection to 100% of those who have it but should prevent the worst effects of the virus.

Absolutely no chance of them allowing fans in this season, even with any mitigation of it being outdoors and masks being worn.
Talk of pubs,gigs etc being open by Easter (start of April) is absolute nonsense even though they are in dire financial need. It is the mixing of large groups of people that has helped keep us in lockdown ( and without football) for so long.

They will not wait for people to have their second jab before opening up the economy, indeed schools will open on 8 March (they were the main cause of high infection rates pre-lockdown) and I suspect if infection rates and hospitalisation rates continue to fall, non-essential shops will open and probably in Apr/May so will the pubs. I do not agree that their is no chance of fans being allowed in before the end of the season, though I would not be surprised if they weren't, after all you can currently go fishing for exercise so who knows what the rules might be :lol:

I'm entirely with Rob (for a change). The second vaccination is a bit of a luxury, to give you a boost, but you should be almost entirely protected by the first. Particularly if you've already had Covid, when the first vaccination acts as the booster jab. Obviously I'm not advocating skipping the second jab, but it's not essential from the point of view of opening the country with limited precautions.
If we're confident in the science, it soon gets to the stage where being over-cautious is actually quite reckless. So once the over 50s and vulnerable are protected, it becomes hard to justify forcing businesses to stay closed or severely limited.

The second vaccination is not 'a bit of luxury' or 'to give you a boost'. It is an essential part of the required dosage as prescribed by the scientists who developed it. You are not 'almost entirely protected' by the first.
The vaccine rollout needs very careful management if it is to succeed. Releasing restrictions too early when people are only partially protected is the equivalent of taking half a course of antibiotics, and could actually lead to a vaccine-resistant strain of the virus that will put us back to square one.
Restrictions need to stay in place till all 9 priority groups have received their 2nd dose, otherwise we will be locking down again next winter.

Dave, we already know that isn't going to happen, schools will open on 8 Mar, which of course were closed as part of the lockdown. The only reason they are able to open is because of the scientific advice regarding the protection offered by the 1st jab. We are probably going to have to learn to live with this as we do with the flu, sadly.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:17 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
Dan wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:
Dan wrote:I don’t understand why places like outdoor stadiums are not open yet but you can go for a free for all in Asda. Surely if wearing a mask is so important to stop the spread etc then open football grounds up and make people wear masks. I’m sure people would rather do that than not see their team live. And if you don’t feel comfortable doing that then don’t go.

The supermarkets are not meant to be a “free for all”. Personally I can live without football but not without food. :roll:
It isn’t necessarily what you feel comfortable with. Even if you feel comfortable going to football grounds there is a chance that you could catch the virus and then,if you were a symptomatic, unknowingly pass it on to numerous other people that you contact while doing other things that you are comfortable with.
It is hard for almost everybody but let’s get the incident rate right down and then we can resume an almost normal life.

You should see some of the sights in our supermarkets. They want you to go in alone if possible yet we’ve got families of four strolling round like they’re on a day out, kids touching everything, people touching stuff then putting it back and they wonder why supermarkets are one of the highest places to catch it.

I have seen the supermarkets like this AND have walked out or not gone in if the car parks are too full or ( in lockdown 1)the queue outside was too big. I’ve worked all the way through, not from home because I can’t, and found it very frustrating not being able to get a few essentials on the way home. I’ve also found it difficult getting a suitable online shop due to having flexible work times. I tend to go early on either Saturday or Sunday.

If I need to get quite a lot of things I tend to go to Asda about 9-10pm and it’s perfect. If I only need a few bits then I make sure I go to a local shop mainly to help them out through this raspberryshow as they are really struggling. The reason I don’t do a ‘big shop’ there is because they don’t always have what I need.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:

I don’t think we need to wait until all 9 groups have had their second vaccination ( that is likely to be July) but definitely those who have already had their first one AND the infection rate has come right down so that the risk level is a lot lower. The current national infection rate is 130/100 thousand ( Mansfield is double that). Calderdale got put into restrictions ( pubs restricted to outdoors and no visitors to your house or garden,etc.) in JULY when the rate was less than 20 with quite a high level of testing available. Rates still continued to rise even then!
The number of people in hospital needs to be drastically reduced. The NHS has been under severe strain for the majority of the last year. Let’s give them at least a chance of some respite.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:43 pm

Kin ell, how time flies. Me and my dad were on the fence about the Northampton game for a couple of reasons (covid being like, number 3) and we didn't end up going, watched it in the pate bar. Christ i regret that one. Food there wasn't even that good.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:55 pm

The main risk is if infections don’t decrease, then there is a greater chance of virus mutations and then our vaccines could not work, then we would be up a creek without a paddle.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm

There also needs to be a clear way of identifying those who have been vaccinated, and knowing this government they will put that matter out to ` private `tender.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Rapid testing is one idea the government are looking at to get sports, theatres and night clubs opened.
How much this is going to cost and who pays I really don't know.
4000 Stags fans waiting for results outside the stadium? Unless you get the test yourself and it lasts 24 hours?
It's not going to be easy for al concerned.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 pm

garlic wrote:There also needs to be a clear way of identifying those who have been vaccinated, and knowing this government they will put that matter out to ` private `tender.

You get a small vaccination card at the time you get the jab. There is also a facility for the second jab when completed, it’s a bit like a dog’s vaccination record. No need for a private tender of any description so no scandals to start shouting about.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:26 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
garlic wrote:There also needs to be a clear way of identifying those who have been vaccinated, and knowing this government they will put that matter out to ` private `tender.

You get a small vaccination card at the time you get the jab. There is also a facility for the second jab when completed, it’s a bit like a dog’s vaccination record. No need for a private tender of any description so no scandals to start shouting about.

I have same card, if that is sufficient then you need to think again, it is thin, cheap, and wouldnt last two minutes, a proper plastic card or even better, they should have prepared a stamp for your passport/driving licence.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 pm

You can get them off eBay too along with a face mask exemption card :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 pm

garlic wrote:

I have same card, if that is sufficient then you need to think again, it is thin, cheap, and wouldnt last two minutes, a proper plastic card or even better, they should have prepared a stamp for your passport/driving licence.

They are not the best but adequate if you look after them.

In respect of stamping a driving licence or passport, there are two problems there

1. Not everyone has them

2. It’s an offence to deface them or stamp them without authority (as in endorsements etc).

Yes it could be a better card/system but having millions printed and distributed would inevitably delay the rollout of the vaccine itself.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:38 am

Read this morning that NHS app may act as proof of vacination.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:07 am

A red letter V tattooed on your forehead would work.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Nobody should need a stamp, card or certificate to show you've been vaccinated. It's a well known fact that when you're vaccinated along with the dose of vaccine a microchip is sent into your arm at the same time. Therefore all an establishment needs to do is scan you with the scanner provided by the Government and if you beep you're good to go.
This is fact as someone in t'queue at the checkouts in Asda told me on Friday night. He'd a trolley full of wonky veg and an out of date raspberry trifle for some reason.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ElwoodBlues » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:Nobody should need a stamp, card or certificate to show you've been vaccinated.

Well your first sentence is true.

Everyone should have Choice if they want to be vaccinated or not.
health passports will create enforced vacination.

That's a dangerous precedent to set.
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:40 pm

ElwoodBlues wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Nobody should need a stamp, card or certificate to show you've been vaccinated.

Would of thought it would be more dangerous to let a mutating virus run through the population unchecked?
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Oak Tree Stag wrote:
ElwoodBlues wrote:

Would of thought it would be more dangerous to let a mutating virus run through the population unchecked?

'BUT MUHH FREEDOMS'
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 pm

a reminder that this forum is Stags and League Two related. We have a forum for discussing the virus and vaccines, so please join the discussion here: viewtopic.php?p=872551#p872551
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby m1cksut » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:14 pm

Dan wrote:Difference is that you won’t be sitting ‘next’ to anyone you don’t know so that restricts the chances and also being outdoors will help. It’s a fact that you get closer to strangers in the local supermarket and that can’t be helped but at a football match there’s plenty of room to sit away from other people if clubs manage it correctly.

they couldn't stop people standing up, so getting them to sit apart is not likely to happen!
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:51 pm

It's not the seating that's the problem though, it's the toilets, concourses, entrances, exits etc...
Then you have the transport.
If you think about your journey to get to the match it involves more than sitting outside watching football.
I'm all for rapid testing but hoping we won't need even that next season.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 am

I’ve had my invite text this morning for the vaccine and all booked in for 10:10. Very happy with that. I’m group 6.

Will it be working in time for me to go and boo Ian Evatt tonight? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve had my invite text this morning for the vaccine and all booked in for 10:10. Very happy with that. I’m group 6.

Will it be working in time for me to go and boo Ian Evatt tonight? :lol:

Do it from the retail park :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:00 pm

garlic wrote:

When you’ve had your 2nd jab just laminate your card, it should last ok then.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum