{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Free agents

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Free agents

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:59 am

Even if we played some of the YT we'd stop up.... I can't see Nigel wasting money when the objective Is to stay up
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:10 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:We made 1 sub because we had no choice on others. Tired legs on a very difficult pitch was evident to see. Ps I am not taking anything away from the players. Battled hard and played well.

My comments stands, our bench was weak so there was a reluctance to freshen things up.

It's going to cause us all sorts of problems over the next 8 games when we inevitably pick up knocks

Totally agree.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:36 am

oldweststander wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:We made 1 sub because we had no choice on others. Tired legs on a very difficult pitch was evident to see. Ps I am not taking anything away from the players. Battled hard and played well.

My comments stands, our bench was weak so there was a reluctance to freshen things up.

It's going to cause us all sorts of problems over the next 8 games when we inevitably pick up knocks

Totally agree.

Clough has very rarely makes major chances during a game. I make it 21 subs in 13 games before yesterday, at least two that I remember were enforced due to injury. Less than two a game. 5 of those were in one game when were cruising v Vale. So who is to say he would’ve made more than the one he made yesterday?

And how does the lack of subs made account for the goals conceded? Because I don’t see any elements of tiredness in either of the goals.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Totally agree.

Clough has very rarely makes major chances during a game. I make it 21 subs in 13 games before yesterday, at least two that I remember were enforced due to injury. Less than two a game. 5 of those were in one game when were cruising v Vale. So who is to say he would’ve made more than the one he made yesterday?

And how does the lack of subs made account for the goals conceded? Because I don’t see any elements of tiredness in either of the goals.

I agree. Even if we’d still got Maynard and Cook on the bench there’s no way he would’ve brought either of them on with us winning 2-1. You can’t do anything from a last minute goal. I was at the Lincoln game yesterday and they went 2-1 up at a similar time that we did and Appleton had made a few subs but Accrington equalised in the 90th minute. There’s nothing they could do about it so it finished Desmond the same as us.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Players wages are a cost factor at clubs, and during a pandemic clubs are losing money, spending on a distant goal is what puts clubs in debt, and if the goal is not reached then the club will have to down size, with only a January transfer window, during a pandemic, and quality needed to make a difference, with only a outside chance for the play offs and then joining a lottery for promotion, perhaps patience is best, with all summer and a full preseason and 46 games to play, a no brainier
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:07 pm

I just have the impression that Nigel knows what he is doing. Anyone who watched the Barrow game at home must appreciate how well he's done to get a tune out of what is essentially the same squad, whilst trying to balance the books. If he is happy to work with 14-15 players plus some youngsters that's fine by me, even with the heavy schedule we have now. We probably won't reach the play-offs but we won't be playing conference football next season either. Individuals like Reid, Bowery and Rawson are unrecognisable from the start of the season and for me, James Perch has been outstanding.
Onwards and upwards !
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Just to add to this. I am in no way questioning the club here. Survival is the main aim. I am merely pointing out that lack of bench options, forced us into a situation where we couldn't make a change on top of bringing a full back on for a midfielder. We needed things freshening a bit before that 2nd goal. This is why I am saying lack of bench options cost us 3 points, as we had tired legs of a very tough pitch. Someone in midfield who wasn't as tired may been able to chase back more. The fact that bowery covered more ground to chase back says it all.

Again no digs, he scored a great goal.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Subs do not always make a positive impact and can even weaken the team as it can take time to get up to speed with the game.

Some subs can look slower and more knackered than the players they replaced. Aaron O'Driscoll, Ade Yusuff, Alistair Smith and Paul Digby come to mind.

I'm happy with Nigel Clough sticking with the players who are doing the job on the pitch.

If Jordan Bowery had tripped or pulled back Ryan Camplin then we would probably have beat Col U. Brought back memories of Danny Mayor at Bury.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Let’s look at it a different way. NC makes a change when we’re 2-1 up and they equalise on 90 minutes. What do you think people would be saying on here then?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Clough admitted that his squad is one light but he likes a small squad with home grown kids taking the place of more expensive loanees or bit part squad members so I suspect that we are going to have to get used this approach.
There will be times when it back fires or the fans don't like what has happened but he has proved that the approach works over many years in management
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:52 pm

Dan wrote:Let’s look at it a different way. NC makes a change when we’re 2-1 up and they equalise on 90 minutes. What do you think people would be saying on here then?!

Easy Dan, everyone would've berated Nige with 'it it ain't broke don't fix it' etc...

Like someone else said, subs don't always work positively.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:56 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dan wrote:Let’s look at it a different way. NC makes a change when we’re 2-1 up and they equalise on 90 minutes. What do you think people would be saying on here then?!

Easy Dan, everyone would've berated Nige with 'it it ain't broke don't fix it' etc...

Like someone else said, subs don't always work positively.

Exactly mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:09 am

"Southend United manager Mark Molesley will again be having a look at a trio of free agents this week. Strikers Nile Ranger and Jay Simpson are training with the Shrimpers along with winger Ricky Holmes."

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/19090 ... ee-agents/?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"Southend United manager Mark Molesley will again be having a look at a trio of free agents this week. Strikers Nile Ranger and Jay Simpson are training with the Shrimpers along with winger Ricky Holmes."

Nile Ranger? I thought his name rang a bell, just looked on wiki and his crime sheet is unbelievable.
Everybody deserves another chance but he seems to have had so many.
Are Southend that desperate.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:16 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:"Southend United manager Mark Molesley will again be having a look at a trio of free agents this week. Strikers Nile Ranger and Jay Simpson are training with the Shrimpers along with winger Ricky Holmes."

Ricky Holmes has now signed for Southend United until the end of the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:21 pm

Nile Ranger has signed for Southend as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:39 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nile Ranger has signed for Southend as well.

I’ll give it a month before they sack him.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Dan wrote:

That long? Generous :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dan wrote:

That long? Generous :lol:

Giving him the benefit of the doubt :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Absolute Jebend. Southend like signing wrong uns Dont they.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm

Again, haven't they sacked him once already for misdemeanors?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am

I think Nile Ranger has committed more criminal offences than his league appearances in the last three seasons.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:03 am

If you had the choice of signing a dodgy lad or relegation, which would you choose?

They are trying to save the club so morality takes a back seat for a while. I think most clubs would do the same if necessary.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:15 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:If you had the choice of signing a dodgy lad or relegation, which would you choose?

They are trying to save the club so morality takes a back seat for a while. I think most clubs would do the same if necessary.

I mean there's signing a dodgy jebend who may have made one or two mistakes in life, and then there's a proven, violent habitual criminal. A bit different.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am

Is it nile ranger who was scamming old women out of money???
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum