{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Alistair Smith.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Alistair Smith.

Postby Walton Stag » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:29 pm

I found this interview with Alistair Smith recently. Quite an insight in to his Mansfield years. Worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/FoIzeYBO77c.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Alistair Smith.

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:51 pm

:) Thank you Walton really enjoyed that and Alastair comes across as a fine young man ,hope he reaches is goals as a footballer.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Best of luck, young man!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:18 pm

:D Ryan Sweeney as well

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:34 am

He scored yesterday from a cross by Ritchie Sutton!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 1:07 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am

Great photo Dan , Alistair has bulked up a bit .
Happy to see him him scoring goals
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 3:26 pm

Amberheart wrote:Great photo Dan , Alistair has bulked up a bit .

He was head and shoulders above everything else on the pitch yesterday. Absolute class. He’ll get a good move soon you watch.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Dan wrote:

He was head and shoulders above everything else on the pitch yesterday. Absolute class. He’ll get a good move soon you watch.

We'll regret letting him go, we should have let him stay on loan and reviewed in the summer, he's had rave reviews at Alty and is clearly too good for that level. I think the club will regret this one.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Dan wrote:

Maybe so Dan but a sloth would look good playing against Clowntys midfield :D
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun May 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Really pleased for Smith. He seems to be developing well and if he gets a move back into the league then that would be great.

The club did the right thing in letting him go though. He would never have gotten the game time he needed to take the next step into his development.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Really pleased for Smith. He seems to be developing well and if he gets a move back into the league then that would be great.

The club did the right thing in letting him go though. He would never have gotten the game time he needed to take the next step into his development.

In your opinion. I think you’re wrong.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Good for him, hope he makes it back to the EFL and it sounds like he will. I’m not sure if we’ll regret it or not, we have four very good midfielders (if Quinn stays) who he would have struggled to displace.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun May 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Really pleased for Smith. He seems to be developing well and if he gets a move back into the league then that would be great.

Who would you drop to play him?

You also need to factor in the difference in the oppositions quality.

Adam Chapman, Chris Clements and Lee Stevenson looked like world beaters in the Conference. They all looked ordinary in the league.

Stirling-James, Yussuf and Reid came with big reputations at Non-league level and look ordinary in the league too.

Smith’s performances for us we’re average at best, except for a good half hour spell against Burton. He was never ready for first team football at our level.

Law, Sinclair and James Clarke are all ahead of him in terms of readiness.

I also think Keaton Ward looks a better player from what I have seen from both in a stags shirt.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 pm

If Clough had arrived instead of that clown GC I reckon Nigel will have seen something in him worth developing.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:If Clough had arrived instead of that clown GC I reckon Nigel will have seen something in him worth developing.

I think you are probably right. I also think Dempster lack of experience didn’t help Smith either.

Clough has the understanding of when to throw them in and when not to, which is based upon years of experience.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 02, 2021 11:37 pm

Dan wrote:

I also think he is wrong, it will be easy to see who is right and wrong in future. Its a very simple answer to your question, what we should have done is kept his loan until the end of this season, clearly he is better than the Conference, is he good enough to get in our midfield right now, possibly not, so have another loan spell if you like. I've seen a bit of this lad, he has what it takes and we will regret letting him go. Ward is about half as good as Smith.

Football is, of course, all about opinions, my opinion is Smith will play Championship/League 1 football within the next three years - of course I might be wrong, but on what I have seen of him, I rate him as high as I did Hassell, Disley, Williamson and Lawrence when I watched them regularly in our youth team.

Time will tell ................
Last edited by Rob on Sun May 02, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 am

very nice goal from Alistair
(at 2:45) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5pUKYU ... nel=AltyTV
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 am

Martin Shaw wrote:very nice goal from Alistair
(at 2:45) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5pUKYU ... nel=AltyTV

Great effort on two minutes when he shot from near the half way line too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm sure we have a sell on clause with Alistair, they were delighted if not shocked to sign him.
Think we said something like we learned hard lessons from selling whatshisname to thingymebobs.

It's a great advertisement for our academy that has now got the added bonus of Clough to entice new blood.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon May 03, 2021 3:13 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:

I also think he is wrong, it will be easy to see who is right and wrong in future. Its a very simple answer to your question, what we should have done is kept his loan until the end of this season, clearly he is better than the Conference, is he good enough to get in our midfield right now, possibly not, so have another loan spell if you like. I've seen a bit of this lad, he has what it takes and we will regret letting him go. Ward is about half as good as Smith.

Football is, of course, all about opinions, my opinion is Smith will play Championship/League 1 football within the next three years - of course I might be wrong, but on what I have seen of him, I rate him as high as I did Hassell, Disley, Williamson and Lawrence when I watched them regularly in our youth team.

Time will tell ................

I just don't see how we can measure how good Ward and Smith are in comparison to each other.
Smith played well in the mid week cup games and struggled in league games in a weak team.
Ward has struggled to make a mark as a sub in league games but looked good against a very poor team yesterday.
It is almost impossible to compare objectively other than Smith seemed to need too long on the ball but could hit a decent pass whilst Ward appears to have very quick feet but can be knocked off the ball. Both appear to have strengths and deficits
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Mon May 03, 2021 4:34 pm

Smith needed games, he needed to be playing each week and it has shown he is a good prospect.
Unfortunately he never got that chance at Stags, he was always in and out of the team.
Good luck to the lad....I too think he will get a good move if he starts next season as he has finished this one !

IMO Keaton Ward needs to do the same, players need games to develop !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Adam Chapman, Chris Clements and Lee Stevenson looked like world beaters in the Conference. They all looked ordinary in the league.

Chris Clements has just won promotion to League 1 :lol: .....although has only made 14(3) league starts this season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 03, 2021 4:58 pm

Coincidentally Clements is out of contract, and Cheltenham fans want to keep him. The same goes for Matty Blair.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Adam Chapman, Chris Clements and Lee Stevenson looked like world beaters in the Conference. They all looked ordinary in the league.

Chris Clements has just won promotion to League 1 :lol: .....although has only made 14(3) league starts this season.

Remember people's opinion on Jake Buxton?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum