{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Pitch

Postby west country stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:48 pm

This pitch surface needs digging out to a 12" ish depth & renewing the drainage + refilling with a better product .
Oldham have got their surface sorted & fit in all weather conditions
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Pitch

Postby The One » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:52 pm

A guy on here last year who knew about pitches said it had not been laid correctly.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Yay another thread telling men how to do his job.

Im sure with Sharpe and Nigel at the club nothing like this will happen again.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Absolute joke.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Pretty embarrassing. We’ve had about an hour of rain.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:57 pm

The weather has been crap here for a couple of weeks, snow, ice, sleet and rain... what do you expect.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:58 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:The weather has been crap here for a couple of weeks, snow, ice, sleet and rain... what do you expect.

A football club that looks after its playing surface.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Belltitmarsh
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Belltitmarsh

So you think it’s been looked after ? All these games off ? Something is wrong. It was dug up how many times ?

So is the drainage wrong still and if so, why? Or is it’s something else like the lack of infrastructure available to the ground staff? Or something else ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:10 pm

west country stag wrote:This pitch surface needs digging out to a 12" ish depth & renewing the drainage + refilling with a better product .
Oldham have got their surface sorted & fit in all weather conditions

If you'd have dug it down to 12 inch today you would have had a 12 inch paddling pool. It was obviously playable at 4 o'clock, but it's just hammered it down for 2 hours. Not a lot you can do with so much rain just before kick off. We could have called it off at lunchtime and the forecast is then wrong and it would have been playable.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:11 pm

I live only a mile from the ground I was up for work at 5am today. There was a 2inch covering of snow which in 2 hrs had melted. The river Maun in Church Street is as high as I've seen it this year. Flooding on local roads around the area.Im amazed with the predicted rain this game would ever get started tonight. One dry day this time iof year does not help the surface at all.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:13 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

So you think it’s been looked after ? All these games off ? Something is wrong. It was dug up how many times ?

So is the drainage wrong still and if so, why? Or is it’s something else like the lack of infrastructure available to the ground staff? Or something else ?

- Grounds staff, which is what 3 of them? were all on furlough

- Nothing spent/ done to pitch in summer/ Drainage problem not worked on

- Mez having to look after the training ground, from what ive heard we've not employed anyone else to help.

- Pitch gets no sun light and needs round the clock care which its clearly not been able to have.

Sharpe will look into it and it won't happen again. Major pitch renovation coming in the summer. The tractors will be there ready for the last game of the season :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:15 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

- Mez having to look after the training ground, from what ive heard we've not employed anyone else to help.

- Pitch gets no sun light and needs round the clock care which its clearly not been able to have.

Sharpe will look into it and it won't happen again. Major pitch renovation coming in the summer. The tractors will be there ready for the last game of the season :lol:

And that’s my point. What have they been arsing around at for the last four years ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

I agree

There was a huge song and dance made about the pitch renovations a few years ago. We have had two relatively dry years since and the first time we’ve had a wet one this happens.

It’s no good blaming the weather. The club needs to look into it properly and understand why it’s happened.

The fixture pile up might end up costing us a chance of playoff football.

I don’t know the cost of sorting it, but I think the pitchcare article with Mez said 70k had been spent on the drainage.

We’ve just offloaded a striker who was probably on 2.5k a week. This equates to over £150k back in the club coffers until next January. I’d rather that invested in the pitch than sign his replacement.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:18 pm

Field Mill hasn't never been the best pitch for draining, add to that I have never seen my own garden so waterlogged, there is no wonder it is off. I've been sat outside the Barracuda having my tea when the heavens opened, not quite torrential rain but not far off, Sheepbridge Lane awash and a bit of a ford under the bridge.

No shame, no embarrassment, no different to the Walsall game being called off.

While I was in the chippy had to double isolate, it was very disturbing, there was another virus in a Spirite tracksuit, came in for a battered sausage open with salt & vinegar - must be desperate times in non league.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

This.....
Most sport pitches shouldbe able to handle the rain we have had especially given how much backinf the clubs had in the last few years the resources given to the pitch clearly don't match the rest of the club.

Mez needs a bigger team to help him. 3 lads including himself is not enough to look after a main pitch, 4 training pitches abd junior pitch and 3g surface which are used atleast 10 months of the year.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:21 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

And that’s my point. What have they been arsing around at for the last four years ?

On the match thread Whiffy, you said that no-one was blaming the ground staff. This looks pretty much like you are to me.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:23 pm

No he isn’t. He asking why it happened abs offered a number of possibilities
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

On the match thread Whiffy, you said that no-one was blaming the ground staff. This looks pretty much like you are to me.

Well you’re wrong. I’m not blaming the ground staff. I’m asking what the club has been doing over the last few years ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:26 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

This.....
Most sport pitches shouldbe able to handle the rain we have had especially given how much backinf the clubs had in the last few years the resources given to the pitch clearly don't match the rest of the club.

Mez needs a bigger team to help him. 3 lads including himself is not enough to look after a main pitch, 4 training pitches abd junior pitch and 3g surface which are used atleast 10 months of the year.

Well Rotherham, Salford and Spitesh!tes haven't been able to handle the rain either, no doubt the reason for the games being called of is THE WEATHER - DOH!
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:27 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:No he isn’t. He asking why it happened abs offered a number of possibilities

The phrase ‘What have they been arsing around at for four years’ sounds pretty blame laden to me.

We are all frustrated at the postponement but sometimes it’s just nature and life kicking back. Water tables are very high at the moment and water just isn’t draining away quickly.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:31 pm

Games off at Rotherham and Chesterfield. Must be a bit of rain in the air. Or does Mez do their grounds as well.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:35 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The phrase ‘What have they been arsing around at for four years’ sounds pretty blame laden to me.

We are all frustrated at the postponement but sometimes it’s just nature and life kicking back. Water tables are very high at the moment and water just isn’t draining away quickly.

I read it that he is asking what the club have been doing, not just the ground staff
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:No he isn’t. He asking why it happened abs offered a number of possibilities

The phrase ‘What have they been arsing around at for four years’ sounds pretty blame laden to me.

Don’t talk about me in the third person.

I asked the question as to the strategy of the club. Is there a consultant brought in ? Who makes the decisions on the playing surface being relaid ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:36 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The phrase ‘What have they been arsing around at for four years’ sounds pretty blame laden to me.

I read it that he is asking what the club have been doing, not just the ground staff

Exactly. Thank you.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum