{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Chesterfield

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Cash strapped Cheaterfield have signed 11 players since their new manager joined them from Gloucester City. The vast majority from Gloucester City. They now have five goalkeepers on their books. A massive risk since the National League is in danger of closure before the end of the season. Coupled with the fact they may not be able to furlough some of the newcomers. Their squad is above 30 and although they may try and off load some it may well be difficult if non league closes.
I wonder if the tax payers of their town are happy with how the £1million loan has been spent ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Not looking good for our little non league neighbours.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:39 pm

If they default on the loan payments, the Prolapse stadium becomes the property of the County and District Council.

Mrs Miggins from Doe Lea will be well chuffed. :lol: :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Cash strapped Cheaterfield have signed 11 players since their new manager joined them from Gloucester City. The vast majority from Gloucester City. They now have five goalkeepers on their books. A massive risk since the National League is in danger of closure before the end of the season. Coupled with the fact they may not be able to furlough some of the newcomers. Their squad is above 30 and although they may try and off load some it may well be difficult if non league closes.
I wonder if the tax payers of their town are happy with how the £1million loan has been spent ?

As a CBC tax payer I am not happy. However when I become the owner I will use it as our u18 ground and if any of you want to hire it for your Sunday kickabouts just let me know. Also a decent function room for your staff do's
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:25 pm

According to Bob's Bored Cheaterfield have furloughed some of their squad.

They have signed twelve players since the new manager took over.

Seems they can't offload some of their unwanted players due to the postponement of the two leagues below.

If true I don't know if that is a proper use of the government furlough scheme. It doesn't seem right to me.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby acasman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 am

They have banked £285,000 from the rescue package and have 4 players on furlough according to todays paper. I'm sure the government scheme didn't anticipate that kind of arangement.
acasman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:53 am

acasman wrote:They have banked £285,000 from the rescue package and have 4 players on furlough according to todays paper. I'm sure the government scheme didn't anticipate that kind of arangement.

Are we surprised. Once a cheat always a cheat.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 am

acasman wrote:They have banked £285,000 from the rescue package and have 4 players on furlough according to todays paper. I'm sure the government scheme didn't anticipate that kind of arangement.

From what I can gather, the 4 players that they have furloughed have been on loan in the division below, which is now not an active league, so furlouging those is within the boundaries. If they have furloughed others that aren't now going to be playing due to recruiting new players, then that is despicable and not what the furlough scheme is in place for.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chambta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:38 am

You must have some players that could be furloughed. Get it done.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am

Your whole clubs been on furlough since Cook left chumpta...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:44 am

chambta wrote:You must have some players that could be furloughed. Get it done.

Back again must have rounded is sheep up :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:46 am

Amazes me how Cheaterfield are still a club.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:50 pm

Presumably those furloughed can't train with the squad, so they will feel like outcasts. Not great for team spirit Chambta.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:01 pm

Well the Council own their ground, and the government are paying the players.

They should change their initials to CCP :hysteria:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:12 pm

Surely furloughing them because of bad decisions in the past (ie giving them a contract in the first place) is wrong... technically they can still play, the business is still operating. Add to the fact that the business is already being subsidised by the NL grant and the local council and it does stink
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:18 pm

88BenM wrote:

From what I can gather, the 4 players that they have furloughed have been on loan in the division below, which is now not an active league, so furlouging those is within the boundaries. If they have furloughed others that aren't now going to be playing due to recruiting new players, then that is despicable and not what the furlough scheme is in place for.

The club seems to be getting criticism for using furlough.

I understand what you are saying. It would be wise for them, in order to clear the air, to declare which players have been furloughed and the reasons why.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chambta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Presumably those furloughed can't train with the squad, so they will feel like outcasts. Not great for team spirit Chambta.

My assumption is that the players in question, other than the ones returning from NLN loan deals, are out of contract at the end of the season and have been encouraged to find new clubs as they aren’t the manager’s plans. As they’ve already been replaced effectively I don’t think it will affect team spirit even slightly as they ain’t in it.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:22 pm

chambta wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

My assumption is that the players in question, other than the ones returning from NLN loan deals, are out of contract at the end of the season and have been encouraged to find new clubs as they aren’t the manager’s plans. As they’ve already been replaced effectively I don’t think it will affect team spirit even slightly as they ain’t in it.

Maybe you can tell us which players have been furloughed ? Is it just the four who were recently loaned out ? Or is it others who may be currently out with injuries?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chambta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:26 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
chambta wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Maybe you can tell us which players have been furloughed ?

It would be guesswork but it’s easy to see which players haven’t been involved.

Of the experienced players you’re looking at Boden, Buchanan and Jonathan Smith who would also be amongst the highest earners. All three are out of contract at the end of the season and won’t be offered new contracts.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:56 pm

It’s clear abuse of the system, it should be investigated by the league and government. Hope we’re not doing it?

The scheme is to safe jobs affected by covid not to pay for unwanted players because you’ve overspent your budget.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chambta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:58 pm

Jimstag wrote:It’s clear abuse of the system, it should be investigated by the league and government. Hope we’re not doing it?

The scheme is to safe jobs affected by covid not to pay for unwanted players because you’ve overspent your budget.

It will be interesting to see the list of clubs doing it. We are far from alone.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:00 pm

But what is your opinion on it chambta ?
Do you think it is morally correct to use government grant funding to bring in new players, and then use further government funding (furlough) to pay players you no longer deem suitable ?
Surely the correct thing to do was to pay your existing players first ?
Rules may not have been broken but it isn't really in the spirit of what was intended. Do many other NL clubs have players on furlough while bringing in new signings ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:24 pm

as long as the Cheats spend yet another season in the pit of misery i’m not that bothered
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:42 pm

They'll be above us by March ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby chambta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:43 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:But what is your opinion on it chambta ?
Do you think it is morally correct to use government grant funding to bring in new players, and then use further government funding (furlough) to pay players you no longer deem suitable ?
Surely the correct thing to do was to pay your existing players first ?
Rules may not have been broken but it isn't really in the spirit of what was intended. Do many other NL clubs have players on furlough while bringing in new signings ?

The club probably feel that having been deprived of the appropriate amount of ‘public’ money already through the farcical NL divvy up of lottery monies, that being creative here is fair game.

I don’t have any particularly strong feelings on it either way as it stands. When there’s detail and reasoning behind the headline I’ll conclude whether I think they were right to do this or not.
chambta
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum