{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Andy Cook, joins Bradford on loan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Andy Cook, joins Bradford on loan

Postby Conker » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:15 am

Maynard has not been a dud, think that’s very harsh on him and Cook.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:16 am

James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Thinking about it, Cook and Maynard are probably the costliest duds we’ve had for years.

Paul Anderson is by a long chalk.

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Thinking about it, Cook and Maynard are probably the costliest duds we’ve had for years.

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
Seems to be a pattern there :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:24 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
Seems to be a pattern there :lol:

Yeah I spot it too. Just imagine the amount of the budget wasted on paying them.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:25 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Not sure I’d go that far personally. Maynard was on track for 20 goals last season in an underperforming team. 14 goals in 33 appearances last season is hardly poor in that side. This season it hasn’t been working for him though for one reason or another and agree we are not getting value for money at the moment.

Cook has had his moments. His minutes per goal ratio last season was pretty good but he could never really nail down a solid run in the starting 11. This season he’s been pretty useful off the bench - we’ve ‘all’ been wanting him on after 60 minutes normally! Again though, not getting enough bang for our buck this season.

Davies, Butcher, Anderson, to name a few are high earners that we got practically nothing out of in recent years.

I’m probably coming at it from the poor seasons in general we’ve had with them being on the payroll. I know they’re decent players, it’s just coincided with utter trot on the pitch I suppose.

Maynard's job is to score goals, and that is exactly what he did last season as BH has pointed out. If the rest of the team aren't doing their jobs it doesn't make him a dud.
In the 2002/03 season in League 1, Christie scored about 19 goals but we got relegated. Would he also be classed as a dud on that season's performance ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Butcher for me has to be the most baffling of the lot. Played a lot of games for Burton & Millwall who both won promotion from League 1 with him in midfield, and he was completely hopeless.

Playing plenty of games for Dundee Utd again now where he won another promotion I believe and playing regularly in the SPL now so must be doing something right there (standard can be debated). Just didn’t suit us at all.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:30 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Not sure I’d go that far personally. Maynard was on track for 20 goals last season in an underperforming team. 14 goals in 33 appearances last season is hardly poor in that side. This season it hasn’t been working for him though for one reason or another and agree we are not getting value for money at the moment.

Cook has had his moments. His minutes per goal ratio last season was pretty good but he could never really nail down a solid run in the starting 11. This season he’s been pretty useful off the bench - we’ve ‘all’ been wanting him on after 60 minutes normally! Again though, not getting enough bang for our buck this season.

Davies, Butcher, Anderson, to name a few are high earners that we got practically nothing out of in recent years.

I’m probably coming at it from the poor seasons in general we’ve had with them being on the payroll. I know they’re decent players, it’s just coincided with utter trot on the pitch I suppose.

Maynard's job is to score goals, and that is exactly what he did last season as BH has pointed out. If the rest of the team aren't doing their jobs it doesn't make him a dud.
In the 2002/03 season in League 1, Christie scored about 19 goals but we got relegated. Would he also be classed as a dud on that season's performance ?

Exactly, didn't Mickey Boulding score over 20 in 07/08 when we went down?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:46 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Paul Anderson is by a long chalk.

Or Calum Butcher.[/quote]

Or David Mirfin.[/quote]
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
Seems to be a pattern there :lol:[/quote]

Yeah I spot it too. Just imagine the amount of the budget wasted on paying them.[/quote]

Rumours of Anderson and Butcher both getting £4k a week. Mirfin would of been getting a good whack too. Inc NI, Pension Contributions and any agent fees/bonus/signing on fees yours looking at well over half a million quid for a season !
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:04 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.[/quote]
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.

Yeah I spot it too. Just imagine the amount of the budget wasted on paying them.[/quote]

Rumours of Anderson and Butcher both getting £4k a week. Mirfin would of been getting a good whack too. Inc NI, Pension Contributions and any agent fees/bonus/signing on fees yours looking at well over half a million quid for a season ![/quote]
Just think what NC would be able to do with that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.

Rumours of Anderson and Butcher both getting £4k a week. Mirfin would of been getting a good whack too. Inc NI, Pension Contributions and any agent fees/bonus/signing on fees yours looking at well over half a million quid for a season ![/quote]
Just think what NC would be able to do with that.[/quote]

We could have signed better that Ajose and Gethin Jones with that.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:38 am

Craig Davies is our most expensive failure ever based on transfer fee and wages paid - 5(14) league appearances and 2 goals.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:46 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Craig Davies is our most expensive failure ever based on transfer fee and wages paid - 5(14) league appearances and 2 goals.

whatever happened to him ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:54 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Craig Davies is our most expensive failure ever based on transfer fee and wages paid - 5(14) league appearances and 2 goals.

Left us at the end of last season and hasn't had a club since (according to Wikipedia)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:58 am

gazza1988 wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Left us at the end of last season and hasn't had a club since (according to Wikipedia)

probably his ribs haven’t repaired properly from laughing through last season collecting his pay packet
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:05 am

Davies goal against Colchester was a cracker though.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:09 am

part time pete wrote:Davies goal against Colchester was a cracker though.

The goal at the end wasnt though Pete :roll:

It's the one in my eyes that cost us promotion but it's forgotten as it was fairly early in the season :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:11 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
part time pete wrote:Davies goal against Colchester was a cracker though.

The goal at the end wasnt though Pete :roll:

It's the one in my eyes that cost us promotion but it's forgotten as it was fairly early in the season :lol:

True dat
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:14 am

Craig Davies must have cost the club over half a million pounds when you take into account his transfer fee, signing on fee and wages. He was one of DF's big signings but he must be the worst signing we have ever made.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Craig Davies must have cost the club over half a million pounds when you take into account his transfer fee, signing on fee and wages. He was one of DF's big signings but he must be the worst signing we have ever made.

The Iffy Onura / Kev Grey swap deal in my book, was worse. Really set us back that one.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Craig Davies must have cost the club over half a million pounds when you take into account his transfer fee, signing on fee and wages. He was one of DF's big signings but he must be the worst signing we have ever made.

The Iffy Onura / Kev Grey swap deal in my book, was worse. Really set us back that one.

On paper the Iffy Onura deal was okay. He was prolific before he joined us, broke a bone in his foot in a PSF, spent the better part of two years injured & was then prolific after he left.

A fit Iffy Onura in that play off season would seen us promoted for sure.

His goals per minutes on the pitch must have been pretty good.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:08 pm

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

On paper the Iffy Onura deal was okay. He was prolific before he joined us, broke a bone in his foot in a PSF, spent the better part of two years injured & was then prolific after he left.

I was at the game at Exeter where he was unplayable.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:34 pm

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Unfortunately all transfers are gambles. Iffy wasn't scoring goals whilst recovering from injury. Same can be said about Davies who looked a real threat when fit.

Kev Grey was a brilliant defender who did well for Huddersfield. As things turned out we got the raw end of the deal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:44 pm

Now you’ll be in trouble. Don’t you know all the dud signings were from Steve Evans :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:45 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

He’s touring again this year pandemic permitting ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Dan wrote:

Now you’ll be in trouble. Don’t you know all the dud signings were from Steve Evans :roll:

Otis Khan has got to be a bad one too that I haven't seen mentioned. He looked cracking on his debut Vs Newport and then... that was it really
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:48 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.[/quote]
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.

And some bloke who shall not be named got us to fourth with these clowns eating up a lot of his budget :lol: :D
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum