{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Andy Cook, joins Bradford on loan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Andy Cook, joins Bradford on loan

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:20 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Does akins still play as a striker?? Hes quite old in football terms going to be 32 next. What type of player is he. He doesnt seem prolific is he more of a defensive hard working striker?

Akins plays the same role as charsley on both wings, he also can play centre forward, but does not have the ball skills of Bowery and is just awkward to defend against.
He can also play full back and has played left and right but is better on the right, even with changing of roles he still scores goals, and is Burtons top goal scorer in league football.
Stands over 6 foot pacy and is not free until the summer, would be the end of a era in Burton's history if this player moved on, i do believe this is a bridge to far for Clough before summer
But letting Cook go is interesting
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Everyone seems so sure Akins is coming, what if it's someone else Nige n Simon have spotted?

Groundless speculation re Akins, Stagsnet' favourite topic.

Like your post on the Benning thread and your comments about Ollie Clarke you mean? :lol:

If you say so?

Benning, can see him going if an offer comes forward, he's a good player on a speculative big wage, similar to Cook.

As for Clarke, at the time he was poor, gave the ball away far too much but recently he has been a star, my view point was, is he happy in the north without his mentor?

We will see at seasons end one way or another if not before?

But at the moment it’s groundless speculation, whereas the speculation about Akins is not groundless.

Your comments about Clarke were 9 days ago, and he hasn’t played since, so it wasn’t at the time he was playing poorly. But nice try :lol:

Does it really matter when I gave my opinion, are you a self proclaimed opinion regulator or just self opinionated?

All opinions are welcome, you don't have to agree, argue against or analyse them.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:03 pm

No problem at all OWS, but you seemed to be criticising the speculation re Akins as groundless, when it isn't, whereas your speculation re Benning and Clarke is.

I've no problem with groundless speculation, but your initial post seemed to indicate you had. If I misinterpreted your comment, then I apologise.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:37 pm

oldweststander wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Everyone seems so sure Akins is coming, what if it's someone else Nige n Simon have spotted?

Groundless speculation re Akins, Stagsnet' favourite topic.

Like your post on the Benning thread and your comments about Ollie Clarke you mean? :lol:

If you say so?

Benning, can see him going if an offer comes forward, he's a good player on a speculative big wage, similar to Cook.

As for Clarke, at the time he was poor, gave the ball away far too much but recently he has been a star, my view point was, is he happy in the north without his mentor?

We will see at seasons end one way or another if not before?

But at the moment it’s groundless speculation, whereas the speculation about Akins is not groundless.

Your comments about Clarke were 9 days ago, and he hasn’t played since, so it wasn’t at the time he was playing poorly. But nice try :lol:

Does it really matter when I gave my opinion, are you a self proclaimed opinion regulator or just self opinionated?

All opinions are welcome, you don't have to agree, argue against or analyse them.[/quote]

Just on your idea that Clarke won't be happy now GC has gone.... He did an interview not long ago saying he had nothing tying him to anywhere and the move was good for him and he's enjoying it. Cant see him going anywhere, when's in form he's our best.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 pm

If it is Akins who comes in, we need to make sure he is tested as their is a outbreak at Burton!

I assume new players would do the rapid test rather then the 48 hour result one?
Last edited by lifestags on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:46 pm

lifestags wrote:If it Akins who comes in, we need to make sure he is tested as their is a outbreak at Burton!

I assume new players would do the rapid test rather then the 48 hour result one?

Yes I think they'd do the 15 minute test then if its positive get a real one
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Re: Andy Cook

Postby pemill » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:Gutted, but not really sure why....

He’s done very little since being here I don’t get the love in at all always looked a conference player to me . Any bantams fans reading this the fastest you’ll see him move is when he comes off from the bench jogging to the centre circle ... we need better a good move from NC

Wow :shock: finally a realistic assessment of Cook, my thoughts exactly.
I don't know why but there always seem to be a love in with bang average players, I.e. Cook, Rose, McDonald.
There's always a chance he could come back to haunt us but our defence will know his weaknesses and all too often he fluffs his lines when he's gets a sitter.

Obvs all the best to him but no big miss in my opinion.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Yet his goal per minute ratio is probably the best at the club this season and back end of last season . I think he's been a bit unlucky but obviously isn't suited to how Clough wants to play .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Cook is fourth on goals per minute. Top three are Maynard, Bowey and Lapslie.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Kernow wrote:Cook is fourth on goals per minute. Top three are Maynard, Bowey and Lapslie.

Not sure if this is based on all games or not, but Cook is 3rd purely on league games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:22 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 pm

SPL side was Dundee United
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:39 pm

James wrote:SPL side was Dundee United

Makes sense with the Mellon link.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:11 pm

Cook will do well at Bradford. Good move for them. Hopefully we get better.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:47 am

Thinking about it, Cook and Maynard are probably the costliest duds we’ve had for years.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:56 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Thinking about it, Cook and Maynard are probably the costliest duds we’ve had for years.

Paul Anderson is by a long chalk.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:00 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Thinking about it, Cook and Maynard are probably the costliest duds we’ve had for years.

Not sure I’d go that far personally. Maynard was on track for 20 goals last season in an underperforming team. 14 goals in 33 appearances last season is hardly poor in that side. This season it hasn’t been working for him though for one reason or another and agree we are not getting value for money at the moment.

Cook has had his moments. His minutes per goal ratio last season was pretty good but he could never really nail down a solid run in the starting 11. This season he’s been pretty useful off the bench - we’ve ‘all’ been wanting him on after 60 minutes normally! Again though, not getting enough bang for our buck this season.

Davies, Butcher, Anderson, to name a few are high earners that we got practically nothing out of in recent years.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:01 am

Maynard was second top scorer in League Two last season.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:05 am

James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:08 am

James wrote:

Completely forgot about him :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 am

BH_Stag wrote:

Not sure I’d go that far personally. Maynard was on track for 20 goals last season in an underperforming team. 14 goals in 33 appearances last season is hardly poor in that side. This season it hasn’t been working for him though for one reason or another and agree we are not getting value for money at the moment.

Cook has had his moments. His minutes per goal ratio last season was pretty good but he could never really nail down a solid run in the starting 11. This season he’s been pretty useful off the bench - we’ve ‘all’ been wanting him on after 60 minutes normally! Again though, not getting enough bang for our buck this season.

Davies, Butcher, Anderson, to name a few are high earners that we got practically nothing out of in recent years.

I’m probably coming at it from the poor seasons in general we’ve had with them being on the payroll. I know they’re decent players, it’s just coincided with utter trot on the pitch I suppose.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:16 am

I would of hoped we wouldn't of let Cook go unless we have a replacement lined up. Our bench will be a lot weaker tomorrow without having that ''target man'' to bring on.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 am

James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.

Or Zander Diamond.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Or Calum Butcher.

Or David Mirfin.

Or Zander Diamond.

Zander scored against the sheep so he gets a pass for that.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum