{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

JIMMY KNOWLES

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: JIMMY KNOWLES

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:20 pm

Sod Clownty what’s best for James
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:36 am

yorkstag wrote:I saw NC was at Stockport today to watch Jimmy - he scored and looking at Notts forum had an excellent game. Will be interesting to see if he's brought back.....it was an FA Trophy game.

I think Notts are playing on Tuesday in the league - if he doesn't start that cant see much point him staying there if NC see him in his plans

Away at Yeovil at the moment although they called their game off today due to a staff member having Covid. I would bet that Jimmy is back on the bench for it and that NA plays the new lad.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:02 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:in Ardley's post match interview, he said along the lines of Knowles' finishing has never been in doubt, it's what he does between both boxes that he needs to work on.

Here's what Ardley said:

"Jimmy Knowles is a smashing lad, really eager to learn and work and it was really pleasing.

"He asked me what he had to do to get in the team, but I have never had any doubt what he can do when we get in and around the box.

"He's a natural goalscorer, especially with that right-foot of his

"It's just about understanding the game between the boxes that we are working on with him to make sure he is strong in those areas.

"I am delighted because we are going to need him over the next six to eight weeks with the games we have got.

Sounds like Jimmy is frustrated at not getting playing time. If he’s not assured of a start then we should recall him and if necessary send him somewhere he will get game time as it won’t improve him sitting on a bench. He would probably have got more minutes here than County as it stands but if he’s not going to he should go to another club to get the time in.

I agree with this. I would far prefer it if NC and Andy Garner were working with Jimmy to improve his overall game
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:08 am

It seems most managers are the same , they don’t risk the young pros in a full game unless it’s not important ,end of season or short of players etc .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:32 am

3 options I see for Jimmy are...
Going to a part time club lower down the conference ,play every game but who only train twice a week therefore he would be training with us.

Stay at County a big full time club training with better players under an experienced manager and getting opportunities to start.

Come back to use and train under NC and get the odd couple of minutes of the bench.
He will be behind Maynard and Cook in the lecking order as it stands remember....

This could all sort itself out when we know who NC is keeping I suppose....

I feel Maynard will go and Knowles will return.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:02 pm

What’s the obsession with bringing the lad back . If he’s not good enough for the first starting 11 at a national league club he’s not good enough for starting for us!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Shep » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:20 pm

Norman wrote:What’s the obsession with bringing the lad back . If he’s not good enough for the first starting 11 at a national league club he’s not good enough for starting for us!

Personally, I think he’s better than Reid and I think if Reid was at County, he’d be warming the bench too. He has a great chance playing with us with Maynard injured, and Cooks face not fitting for whatever reason.
Shep
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby chip63 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Norman wrote:What’s the obsession with bringing the lad back . If he’s not good enough for the first starting 11 at a national league club he’s not good enough for starting for us!

Personally I've not asked for him to come back, I'm interested in his progression and want him to do well, the same goes to all our players.
Frustrated that he's not getting match time at county to see if he's got what it takes, hopefully next season he stays and the reserves start playing again so Clough can improve him as much as he's done with Bowery
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 pm

Shep wrote:

Personally, I think he’s better than Reid and I think if Reid was at County, he’d be warming the bench too. He has a great chance playing with us with Maynard injured, and Cooks face not fitting for whatever reason.

Most Clownty fans agree that he's the most natural finisher they have, Ardley has said the same, let's get him back here knocking them in for us.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Wow. I agree with Norman.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:56 pm

The One wrote:

me too, leave him there to gain experience this season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:07 pm

The point is he’s not getting experience. He needs to develop and I agree don’t bring him back for the sake of it. He might was well be here tho given the game time he’s getting.

Why has a thread on Jimmy Knowles become one about Reid who in my view has been excellent in the last two game. All the usual suspects pile in

Anyway will be an interesting week
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Shep » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm

yorkstag wrote:The point is he’s not getting experience. He needs to develop and I agree don’t bring him back for the sake of it. He might was well be here tho given the game time he’s getting.

Why has a thread on Jimmy Knowles become one about Reid who in my view has been excellent in the last two game. All the usual suspects pile in

Wouldn’t necessarily say it’s turned into a thread about Reid. I’m the only one who stated my opinion that Knowles is better than Reid and I think that he is because Reid doesn’t read the game well. He reacts to what happens instead of being pro active with his movement, which is something
I think Knowles does well and you can see that in the goal he just scored for County.
Shep
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby jpstags » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:58 pm

yorkstag wrote:The point is he’s not getting experience. He needs to develop and I agree don’t bring him back for the sake of it. He might was well be here tho given the game time he’s getting.

Imo Reid had a very good second half against Oldham which hopefully gives him confidence to kick on. In the first half however he was anonymous and poor against Cheltenham as were the vast majority.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:17 pm

He's better off here not getting games and working with Cloughie, than he is with Notts not getting games working with Neal Ardley.

However, if Notts were to play him - he's better off there getting experience.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Agree as above he should be recalled and loaned out to a conference side that will play him. Sitting on counties bench is no better than sitting on ours and feeling part of the squad.

Clough obviously expects a high work rate from the man leading the line his tenure has proven so far, meaning Cook and Maynard are probably earning too much for their contribution to his squad. Both out of contract at the end of the season I believe, let’s say Cloughie was successful in luring Akins to the club this January, he could try and get Maynard and Cook off the books this window and recall Jimmy as a back up option (which Nicky and Cooky have been). This way it’s 2 forwards out 2 forwards in, Jimmy doesn’t count towards the registered squad list as he’s under 21 and still some spare change for another quality signing.
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby garlic » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:15 pm

It used to be said that scoring goals was the most important part of the game, not what happened between the boxes. Here we have a natural goalscorer who cannot get a game because he doesn`t run round like clockwork hobgoblin for 90 minutes. The obvious thing to do in my opinion is bring him back and keep giving him 20/30 minutes at the end of the game and let Maynard get his pension topped up elsewhere. I find it truly astonishing that Penmill`s remarks havent shamed a few on here. The last great team we had came from the kids, but are you prepared to give them`em a chance now, no, you seem to want to glory in signing a 34 year old from Burton.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby DazMondo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:47 pm

garlic wrote:It used to be said that scoring goals was the most important part of the game, not what happened between the boxes. Here we have a natural goalscorer who cannot get a game because he doesn`t run round like clockwork hobgoblin for 90 minutes. The obvious thing to do in my opinion is bring him back and keep giving him 20/30 minutes at the end of the game and let Maynard get his pension topped up elsewhere. I find it truly astonishing that Penmill`s remarks havent shamed a few on here. The last great team we had came from the kids, but are you prepared to give them`em a chance now, no, you seem to want to glory in signing a 34 year old from Burton.

That's my thinking, Jimmy Greaves did naff all in between the boxes but netted everything that came into box and I'm sure a certain Mr Linaker only did the occasional stuff outside the box.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Clough press conference Fri 15 Jan

Postby DazMondo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Spiritater wrote:If Jim's not getting starts with Clownty he should be taken back. Would it be ok to send him to a small club like Chesterfield.

Minnows like Chesterfield, Margate, Belper and Louth United would be below his standard.
He needs to go to a bigger club, like Maidenhead or Solihull Moors. :D
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:04 pm

garlic wrote:It used to be said that scoring goals was the most important part of the game, not what happened between the boxes. Here we have a natural goalscorer who cannot get a game because he doesn`t run round like clockwork hobgoblin for 90 minutes. The obvious thing to do in my opinion is bring him back and keep giving him 20/30 minutes at the end of the game and let Maynard get his pension topped up elsewhere. I find it truly astonishing that Penmill`s remarks havent shamed a few on here. The last great team we had came from the kids, but are you prepared to give them`em a chance now, no, you seem to want to glory in signing a 34 year old from Burton.

Unfortunately the modern game is no longer played under those terms which I think is a pity. Our game is based on a high press and that starts with a centre forward. If that high press doesn’t happen the whole game plan takes a step backwards.

From what I’ve seen of Jimmy, he is more than capable of playing to Mr Clough’s style but Nigel is a better judge than me. I think Nigel will have appreciated Jimmy’s subtle play immediately prior to his goal and wouldn’t be surprised to see him recalled and at least training with the squad. If he doesn’t make the step up, there is nothing stopping him going out again in a month or two as there is no window in the conference.

Jimmy is certainly a better prospect than Alistair Smith and I don’t see him being released in the same manner. I don’t think he should be at County as he isn’t getting the game time or being played to his strengths which can’t be good for his development.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Strange that some people think that Jimmy Knowles is better than Maynard. Maynard has a great goal scoring record in the Championship. Last season he was the 2nd top scorer in league 2. Jimmy Knowles is nowhere near that standard yet.
It is unfortunate that Maynard has been injured - Otherwise I think he would have been playing instead of Reid - and would have likely scored some goals.
Jimmy may be one for the future - but he isn't in Maynard's class yet.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:33 pm

Vice President wrote:Strange that some people think that Jimmy Knowles is better than Maynard. Maynard has a great goal scoring record in the Championship. Last season he was the 2nd top scorer in league 2. Jimmy Knowles is nowhere near that standard yet.
It is unfortunate that Maynard has been injured - Otherwise I think he would have been playing instead of Reid - and would have likely scored some goals.
Jimmy may be one for the future - but he isn't in Maynard's class yet.

Very true.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:08 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
The One wrote:

me too, leave him there to gain experience this season

Who Norman or Jimmy ?
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:09 pm

Maynard still the best here on goals per minute played!!!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:22 pm

Kernow wrote:Maynard still the best here on goals per minute played!!!

That’s probably down to the last minute cup goal when he had just come on.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum