{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January transfer window news

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January transfer window news

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:23 pm

garlic wrote:Is nobody considering the covid effect on our income. How on earth can we continue to keep signing players when we cannot afford those we already have?Surely to goodness this is the season to give our ` youngsters ` a really good go at establishing themselves. We arent going up, and we arent going down so lets do something useful and productive in the second half of the season and instead of wasting money on more second rate mercenaries lets get Alistair Smith, Tyrese Sinclair, Jimmy Knowles and Jason Law on the pitch and if they arent up to standard after 4 -5 matches then we let them go. But please forget this attitude of signing players with someone else`s money as it really is parasitic.

I think without investment in a couple of new players it's quite possible we could be relegated. As much as it would be nice to test our youth, it would be too much of a risk until we are clearly free of relegation.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
garlic wrote:Is nobody considering the covid effect on our income. How on earth can we continue to keep signing players when we cannot afford those we already have?Surely to goodness this is the season to give our ` youngsters ` a really good go at establishing themselves. We arent going up, and we arent going down so lets do something useful and productive in the second half of the season and instead of wasting money on more second rate mercenaries lets get Alistair Smith, Tyrese Sinclair, Jimmy Knowles and Jason Law on the pitch and if they arent up to standard after 4 -5 matches then we let them go. But please forget this attitude of signing players with someone else`s money as it really is parasitic.

I think without investment in a couple of new players it's quite possible we could be relegated. As much as it would be nice to test our youth, it would be too much of a risk until we are clearly free of relegation.

I agree, we're not out the woods by any stretch. Normally you can hazard a guess towards at least one team to go down but this season, it's a difficult call. Using the rest of the season to bleed youngsters is a good way off at the moment!

In response to the original point from Garlic, I don't necessarily agree that signing players means more expense - ship out a few of the higher earners (players like Maynard and Cook been discussed) who are not currently bringing much to the party, and use Nigel's experience to bring in affordable replacements. Don't forget he took Burton through the leagues with very little money to spend so he's proven at improving sides with new players whilst not breaking the bank.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:46 pm

One thing that may put us off signing players is the fact the season may not finish with the current restrictions rumoured to be getting stronger.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:52 pm

If the season isn’t completed will the league table stay as it is at the moment.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm

I must agree only 6 points of relegation with teams around us picking up points, falling into non league would be a disaster. Dont worry Clough will not put the club into debt,
but i feel some signings he wanted, because of the cup exit will not be possible
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
jpstags wrote:Gillingham rumoured to be interested in Lapslie.
No doubt Gillingham will be interested in at least a dozen players. :roll:

Meow ;)
Maybe his ultimate Scottish job is coming up and he thinks he's in with a shout.

That’s a match made in heaven if he gets that job. Urgh.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:17 pm

bear 73 wrote:I must agree only 6 points of relegation with teams around us picking up points, falling into non league would be a disaster. Dont worry Clough will not put the club into debt,
but i feel some signings he wanted, because of the cup exit will not be possible

Don't agree re your players may not be available due to cup exit, what is your take on that statement.

For me it will make no difference, why should it?

Nigel says maybe 3 in and 3 out, the 3 out could well be our biggest earners, we wait to see?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:54 pm

If it means Cook leaving that'd be a shame. Yesterday he looked like the same 'couldnt be arsed slightly overweight' player he was under Dempster.

At the beginning of the season he seemed fit, agile and able, but Coughlan benched he'd him when he appeared to have his mojo back. His allround game and ability to score is superior to Reid, so would be a shame to let him go. But suppose Nige knows what he wants and how he wants us to play.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:40 pm

bear 73 wrote:I must agree only 6 points of relegation with teams around us picking up points, falling into non league would be a disaster. Dont worry Clough will not put the club into debt,

The club is technically already in massive debt to John Radford's companies, this is how the club has been funded for many years and it would not be Nigel who has forced us that way. Whether Nigel wants to work with the money he has and won't go asking for more is up to him I suppose but worse managers have been heavily backed in the past.

With the cap we cannot throw massive wages around anymore however we have never previously been reliant upon extra income to beat other sides to signings. That's not to say we're massive however we're not on a level like Burton where we're not financially competitive in our respective league.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:25 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:If it means Cook leaving that'd be a shame. Yesterday he looked like the same 'couldnt be arsed slightly overweight' player he was under Dempster.

At the beginning of the season he seemed fit, agile and able, but Coughlan benched he'd him when he appeared to have his mojo back. His allround game and ability to score is superior to Reid, so would be a shame to let him go. But suppose Nige knows what he wants and how he wants us to play.

I honestly don’t see where the can’t be arsed comments come from?

He fought for every ball yesterday, including running 20 yards to slide tackle the keeper after previously pressing the defender.

When he can in we played in their half, which we didn’t nearly the rest of the game.

He could run around almost constantly 10 yards behind the pace of the game, only to commit silly fouls on the odd occasion he is up to speed with play like Reid does?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:41 pm

I thought Cook did well when he came on, held the ball very well and we did improve with his presence.
I hope he stays til the end of the season, not sure we can wait for a new striker to fit in with limited practice on the training ground.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:If it means Cook leaving that'd be a shame. Yesterday he looked like the same 'couldnt be arsed slightly overweight' player he was under Dempster.

I honestly don’t see where the can’t be arsed comments come from?

He fought for every ball yesterday, including running 20 yards to slide tackle the keeper after previously pressing the defender.

When he can in we played in their half, which we didn’t nearly the rest of the game.

He could run around almost constantly 10 yards behind the pace of the game, only to commit silly fouls on the odd occasion he is up to speed with play like Reid does?

Didn't really mean CBA in the game as such, more of a general comment because he's clearly not in peak physical condition. I agree he's a good player. Probably our best all-round striker. That's why it'd be a shame if he left. He looked good early in the season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 pm

I would like to see Cook have a good run of games to get him going and to provide some consistency in the attack
He seems a little unsettled but could be made to feel more wanted maybe
He is a. Likeable rogue almost
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:46 pm

tillydog123 wrote:I would like to see Cook have a good run of games to get him going and to provide some consistency in the attack
He seems a little unsettled but could be made to feel more wanted maybe
He is a. Likeable rogue almost

As i said in the match thread yesterday, Cook will never start in a Clough team. He doesn't consistently work hard enough for the team, fine as a sub for 20 mins but won't (or hasn't got the fitness) to do it for 90 mins.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

I think whoever comes in, even if its a name we would usually start an immediate thread about and starting moaning about them, will come good... I really trust the coaching staff now with their judgment for the players the need/want.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:07 pm

What about this for a suggestion how about there’s a thread set up just for moaning and winging
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:24 pm

wardy12345 wrote:What about this for a suggestion how about there’s a thread set up just for moaning and winging

There already is one.

It's called Stagsnet
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 am

Bloody oath.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am

Doesn’t sound like there will be any new signings until after the next two games from what Cloughy has said this morning.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:52 am

Looks like Forest have offloaded a couple. Darikwa would have been a good signing.

I think we need a couple to freshen things up.

They need tobe the right ones.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Doesn’t sound like there will be any new signings until after the next two games from what Cloughy has said this morning.

Yorkshire Stag’s head just exploded.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:32 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Doesn’t sound like there will be any new signings until after the next two games from what Cloughy has said this morning.

Yorkshire Stag’s head just exploded.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy :D

you can do better than that Gripper
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum