{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Conor Shaughnessy

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Conor Shaughnessy

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 am

We could do with a few more Irish players in the squad.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:07 am

Sedgwick wrote:Far better than Charsley put it that way.

Wouldn't mind him playing alongside Clarke.

Given that charsley has been playing out of position to help out , I think he’s done ok and before that when he was playing in centre mid, he was excellent. Think it’s very unfair to criticise him since playing as a winger since it’s not his position.
MTFC for life, always a yorkshire stag. COYS!!
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:15 am

gregmtfc wrote:

Given that charsley has been playing out of position to help out , I think he’s done ok and before that when he was playing in centre mid, he was excellent. Think it’s very unfair to criticise him since playing as a winger since it’s not his position.

As long as we’re playing this formation he will always be out of position. He’s not a central midfielder, not good enough on the ball and not strong enough. He’s an attacking midfielder, so he’s as close to his position as he can get in the current system. He provide a real goal threat off the right which no other player we currently have could do.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:

As long as we’re playing this formation he will always be out of position. He’s not a central midfielder, not good enough on the ball and not strong enough. He’s an attacking midfielder, so he’s as close to his position as he can get in the current system. He provide a real goal threat off the right which no other player we currently have could do.

Hes in the top 3 for goals involved in too i think.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:

Oh ye totally but just saying he’s not a winger , so it’s very unfair to criticise him and say he’s not good enough. Think he’s a good player to have in our squad
MTFC for life, always a yorkshire stag. COYS!!
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am

I'd be happy with him coming back. I certainly liked watching him play and he definitely showed quality from a higher league than L2. I remember him picking out some excellent passes for Maynard to run onto - think Oldham at home was one.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Teapot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:I'd be happy with him coming back. I certainly liked watching him play and he definitely showed quality from a higher league than L2. I remember him picking out some excellent passes for Maynard to run onto - think Oldham at home was one.

Scored 9 out of 10 in Oldham home game (6-1), report for midfield performance. Only scored 4 out of 10 in Cheltenham home game (0-3), when playing more defensively. Reading between the lines of the match reports when he played for us it suggests he is recognised for surging runs forward and accurate passing rather than his defensive attributes. Still would be a welcome addition to our team.
Teapot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:22 pm

Teapot wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:I'd be happy with him coming back. I certainly liked watching him play and he definitely showed quality from a higher league than L2. I remember him picking out some excellent passes for Maynard to run onto - think Oldham at home was one.

Scored 9 out of 10 in Oldham home game (6-1), report for midfield performance. Only scored 4 out of 10 in Cheltenham home game (0-3), when playing more defensively. Reading between the lines of the match reports when he played for us it suggests he is recognised for surging runs forward and accurate passing rather than his defensive attributes. Still would be a welcome addition to our team.

good bit of research that, cheers. I think most have said on here too that he'd be better in front of defence and that's what I remember thinking too, I think! Would definitely give Clarke more freedom.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:53 pm

Three passed I remember very clearly from him which impressed me.

1. Mentioned above to Maynard v Oldham
2. Away at Vale to CJ which led to Gordon’s goal.
3. Away to Walsall to Mal which led to Macca’s goal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Having Shaughnessy and Akins both over 6 foot and two good players who have played in higher leagues might have been, if we had won our cup games.
both would add quality to our squad.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 pm

I wasn't impressed but maybe Nigel got more out of him than we did?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gregmtfc wrote:

Some of this I agree with, Doesn't matter where you play him his passing, strength , reading of the game, touch, desire to get on the ball etc are all lacking.... Never seen a midfielder fall over and spend so much time on the floor. He could be very decent he's just weak as piss
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:10 pm

bear 73 wrote:Having Shaughnessy and Akins both over 6 foot and two good players who have played in higher leagues might have been, if we had won our cup games.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cup exit and the impact on the Jan transfer activity. It may have some impact but minor I'd have thought - Clough will have known for a while where the targets lie. Yes R4 of the cup would have topped up the budget but fundamentally I can't see it making significant impact. It also depends on who leaves too. If Cook and Maynard were both to leave, that'd probably leave a massive hole payroll-wise.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:48 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Having Shaughnessy and Akins both over 6 foot and two good players who have played in higher leagues might have been, if we had won our cup games.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cup exit and the impact on the Jan transfer activity. It may have some impact but minor I'd have thought - Clough will have known for a while where the targets lie. Yes R4 of the cup would have topped up the budget but fundamentally I can't see it making significant impact. It also depends on who leaves too. If Cook and Maynard were both to leave, that'd probably leave a massive hole payroll-wise.

It could be that a target was playing for his club against a top team and didn’t want to miss his chance.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Is moaning miserable git your middle names Sedgwick?
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:

The problem is who would take them on similar wages ? And if they weren't offered similar wages why would they leave ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Three passed I remember very clearly from him which impressed me.

1. Mentioned above to Maynard v Oldham
2. Away at Vale to CJ which led to Gordon’s goal.
3. Away to Walsall to Mal which led to Macca’s goal.

He was part of the lead up to the free kick from where we scored away at Grimsby too. Him and Hamilton did really well as i remember.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Is moaning miserable git your middle names Sedgwick?

No im quite a happy chap tbh

Just not impressed with charsley, he's just about doing a job with his energy but very much one of the reasons were miles off where we should be and Shaughnessy would be an improvement.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am

Agree with Sedgewick.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am

Charley is a good squad player imo, and he is still young with room to improve. His decision making could be better sometimes but I don't think he's a bad player
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am

Whatever you think about Charsley’s overall contribution, his output in terms of numbers is good in a struggling team. He’s in the top 20 in L2 in terms of goals and assists combined.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:55 am

Charsley is a decent enough league 2 footballer, but if we want to progress then we need better quality on the right hand side of the front 3 than him in my opinion. The argument is fair that he probably isn’t playing a role best suited to him, but as Musings said in this system it’s probably as close as he’s going to get.

He picks up some good positions and to his credit has a steady goals haul so no complaints there (so it’s somewhat of a strange argument). What limits him compared to other wide men is his ball control, pace, and ability to beat a man. The amount of shots that he doesn’t connect with properly is quite staggering as well despite his steady goals tally. He’s a fine option for the squad but moving forward I’d hope for improved quality in that area of the pitch. Should Akins sign at any point down the line say, I would say he would take up this role.

I wouldn’t see him as competing for a place with Shaughnessy (back on thread), who I think would be a pretty good signing should that materialise and if it does then Clough and his team clearly see enough in him to re-sign him after having him at Burton. It’s clear that Beyond Clarke, Lapslie & Maris we don’t really have many suitable options for the midfield so one injury to one of those really hampers us.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 pm

we miss a speedy tricky winger, now if only we had got one in pre season lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:58 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:we miss a speedy tricky winger, now if only we had got one in pre season lol

No good saying that now you should’ve said something in the summer ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Harry Charsley has done really well in what is his breakthrough season. 3 goals and 5 assists in 20(1) league starts is very good.

He is the joint 5th rated Stags player on whoscored. We need to keep playing him. He's only going to get better. He's more energetic and does more running than Shaughnessy who is more of a defensive midfield player or centre half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum