{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January transfer window news

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January transfer window news

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:25 am

jpstags wrote:Gillingham rumoured to be interested in Lapslie.

I think Evans will be sacked sometime soon the Gills are on a awful run of form
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 am

Billy the fish wrote:

I think Evans will be sacked sometime soon the Gills are on a awful run of form

Let's hope that happens before he gets Lapslie.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:28 am

Didn’t think it would be long, Evans always seems to be linked with our players and the location would suit Lapslie more.

If I was him, I’d carry on doing what he is, see the season out and I’m sure there will be a lot of contract offers on the table when he’s out of contract in the summer.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 am

lifestags wrote:Didn’t think it would be long, Evans always seems to be linked with our players and the location would suit Lapslie more.

If I was him, I’d carry on doing what he is, see the season out and I’m sure there will be a lot of contract offers on the table when he’s out of contract in the summer.

I think that is sound advice to the lad.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 am

oldweststander wrote:
lifestags wrote:Didn’t think it would be long, Evans always seems to be linked with our players and the location would suit Lapslie more.

I think that is sound advice to the lad.

On the other hand, very close to his family home and a division higher. He will be gone.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 am

I think geography was always going to be the issue here - depends how persuasive NC is
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:41 am

If he carries on his goal ratio til the end of the season then he will have better offers then Gillingham.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 am

The lad is getting lots of game time and experience where he is. He is a regular starter and improving with every match he plays. He has a manager who will stick with him and develop him in ways he may not get at other clubs. The club is ambitious and aiming to play at a higher level and should be at least competing in league one within a couple of years.

Lapslie could grow with the club before moving on up when the time is right. A two year deal with pay increases linked to appearances and promotion would be the correct thing for the lad to do. He could have a release clause linked to a transfer fee inserted for extra insurance if a big club came in for him.

If he moved now he would risk being swallowed up in a better squad and the career momentum he has built could fizzle and disappear. Football is an unforgiving game and the wrong ‘right’ move to a bigger club could be his undoing. Stick with Nigel and he will do right by you.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:08 pm

I really hoe we can sign him up. There are a few looking through amber tinted glasses on here though.

If he did go to a L1 club which is closer to home then I wouldn't blame him.

I'm confident that if he did leave, Cloughie would find a suitable replacement
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Lapslie didn't show a great deal today without Clark to support him.

Hope Perch is just under the weather and Clark is right soon.

Now its time for Nigel to call in a favour or two in the transfer market.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm

Is nobody considering the covid effect on our income. How on earth can we continue to keep signing players when we cannot afford those we already have?Surely to goodness this is the season to give our ` youngsters ` a really good go at establishing themselves. We arent going up, and we arent going down so lets do something useful and productive in the second half of the season and instead of wasting money on more second rate mercenaries lets get Alistair Smith, Tyrese Sinclair, Jimmy Knowles and Jason Law on the pitch and if they arent up to standard after 4 -5 matches then we let them go. But please forget this attitude of signing players with someone else`s money as it really is parasitic.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm

George Lapslie is better off staying at the Stags, playing every week and scoring more goals. He will then receive better financial offers from other clubs in the summer.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:29 pm

garlic wrote:Is nobody considering the covid effect on our income. How on earth can we continue to keep signing players when we cannot afford those we already have?Surely to goodness this is the season to give our ` youngsters ` a really good go at establishing themselves. We arent going up, and we arent going down so lets do something useful and productive in the second half of the season and instead of wasting money on more second rate mercenaries lets get Alistair Smith, Tyrese Sinclair, Jimmy Knowles and Jason Law on the pitch and if they arent up to standard after 4 -5 matches then we let them go. But please forget this attitude of signing players with someone else`s money as it really is parasitic.

Yeah. I bet Clough couldn't turn us down at that prospect.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:31 pm

garlic wrote:Is nobody considering the covid effect on our income. How on earth can we continue to keep signing players when we cannot afford those we already have?Surely to goodness this is the season to give our ` youngsters ` a really good go at establishing themselves. We arent going up, and we arent going down so lets do something useful and productive in the second half of the season and instead of wasting money on more second rate mercenaries lets get Alistair Smith, Tyrese Sinclair, Jimmy Knowles and Jason Law on the pitch and if they arent up to standard after 4 -5 matches then we let them go. But please forget this attitude of signing players with someone else`s money as it really is parasitic.

I know it's unlikely, but we are still in with a shot of the playoffs.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of giving those players a run when we can, but there are 72 points left to play for and we only need to claw back 8!

Since Coughlan left, we have been the third best team in the league. What is to say we can't make a serious run at them with 2-3 good signings?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:34 pm

“not going down” remember a few coming out with that gem in 2008 around this time !

take nothing for granted until we are mathematically safe
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:44 pm

garlic wrote:We arent going up, and we arent going down

Both are still possible.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
garlic wrote:We arent going up, and we arent going down

Both are still possible.

very true Darren, however more likely to go down than up i’d say
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:56 pm

No doubt Gillingham will be interested in at least a dozen players. :roll:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Meow ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 am

Surely not. They’ve got Mellis and MacDonald who I’ve heard are good enough for League 1. Nothing in this I don’t think....
James
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:28 am

EFL Hub on twitter (think its fake) has posted were after Sligo Rovers player, Lewis Banks.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 am

Nigel said looking to shift three out and bring three in, books balanced.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The lad is getting lots of game time and experience where he is. He is a regular starter and improving with every match he plays. He has a manager who will stick with him and develop him in ways he may not get at other clubs. The club is ambitious and aiming to play at a higher level and should be at least competing in league one within a couple of years.

Lapslie could grow with the club before moving on up when the time is right. A two year deal with pay increases linked to appearances and promotion would be the correct thing for the lad to do. He could have a release clause linked to a transfer fee inserted for extra insurance if a big club came in for him.

If he moved now he would risk being swallowed up in a better squad and the career momentum he has built could fizzle and disappear. Football is an unforgiving game and the wrong ‘right’ move to a bigger club could be his undoing. Stick with Nigel and he will do right by you.

This is a pretty persuasive agrument.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkstag » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:33 am

Let’s hope it is at home- as I’ve said before I think this will be about location. Moving or being away from a young family during lockdown is a big domestic challenge
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:14 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Meow ;)
Maybe his ultimate Scottish job is coming up and he thinks he's in with a shout.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum