{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:It's the magic of the cup. Chorley got the game on by the ground staff working throughout the night. Derby have so much covid in the ranks that they haven't even selected their best under 18s side. Derby are making 11 debuts today. Incredibly Chorley should be favourites.

Chorley 1-0 up.

Keep an eye on bobby Duncan for derby...

Hope Nige doesn't listen to you ;)

No Derby player looked remotely useful.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm

Vale beating Grimsby.

I'm guessing there'll be plenty of goals in this match.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’m watching Lincoln v Posh. Jorge Grant is playing well. How did we manage to waste his talent to much when he was here?

Because the manager was out of his depth and didn’t know how to use him. Then true to form started picking arguments with him.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:52 pm

I think you need to sort of build the team around a Jorge Grant, in a attacking sense anyway, problem was his best mate Tyler Walker was our best attacking player, and the result was Grant ending up a bit of a passenger.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Conker wrote:I think you need to sort of build the team around a Jorge Grant, in a attacking sense anyway, problem was his best mate Tyler Walker was our best attacking player, and the result was Grant ending up a bit of a passenger.

He settled in better at Lincoln than with us.

It was almost as if he thought he was better than us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Conker wrote:I think you need to sort of build the team around a Jorge Grant, in a attacking sense anyway, problem was his best mate Tyler Walker was our best attacking player, and the result was Grant ending up a bit of a passenger.

Grant was abysmal for us, a complete show pony and waste of a big loan wage. Walker, on the other hand, had a great season and flourished under the attacking style of play. I too watched the Lincoln game and Grant did virtually nothing apart from put a penalty wide and make a late challenge for which he should have been booked. I have no idea what Musings was watching :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:25 pm

Rob wrote:

Grant was abysmal for us, a complete show pony and waste of a big loan wage. Walker, on the other hand, had a great season and flourished under the attacking style of play. I too watched the Lincoln game and Grant did virtually nothing apart from put a penalty wide and make a late challenge for which he should have been booked. I have no idea what Musings was watching :lol:

The stats feed. ;) :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Halford sent off for Southend but they’re still 1-0 up against barrow.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm

Cambridge have equalised against Harrogate in the fog 1-1
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Dan wrote:Halford sent off for Southend but they’re still 1-0 up against barrow.
Hold on and it's 4 home league wins on the spin. Impressive after their start to the season.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Harrogates Lloyd Kerry sent off 12 minutes to go.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Cambridge 2-1 up. 73 year old Wes Hoolahan scoring from on the edge of the box.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:57 pm

I'd now say Grimsby are in the worst place in the league. 1pt above bottom having played 2 more games. Worst GD. Poor form.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Cambridge win to keep Harrogate beneath us. Port vale beating Grimsby put Vale above us and Grimsby into the bottom two. They’re doomed.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Losses for Barrow, Harrogate and Grimsby in the only 3 league 2 games means a good Saturday...even though Port Vales win drops us down a place
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm

Grimsby’s next 4 fixtures are huge for them;

Southend H
Scunthorpe A
Barrow A
Stevenage H
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:47 pm

Lose them four and they will be sunk without trace.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:17 pm

Rob wrote:

His manager seemed pretty pleased with him after, even despite the missed pen.

Just the 8 key passes in the game, not good enough.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:17 pm

Grimsby are a club in turmoil with an owner who is a Conservative Councillor who was proposing to sell shares to a fraudster who went to prison for swindling elderly people.

The only hope is if Fenty sells the club to the Tom Shutes consortium as soon as possible. Once the January transfer window has closed then they will really be struggling.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

8 key passes :lol: He barely touched the ball in the first half, as didn't Lincoln and his only contribution, as I said, was the missed penalty. I think you need to lay off xG for a while ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

8 key passes :lol: He barely touched the ball in the first half, as didn't Lincoln and his only contribution, as I said, was the missed penalty. I think you need to lay off xG for a while ;)

Are you sure you were watching the right game Rob? He put Howarth through on goal in the first half. Not bad for barely touching the ball.

He took the corner for the goal, put a cross on a plate for Johnson too.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Are you sure you were watching the right game Rob? He put Howarth through on goal in the first half. Not bad for barely touching the ball.

He took the corner for the goal, put a cross on a plate for Johnson too.

It was a poor corner and ended up an own goal. They even said on commentary he'd not been involved much in the 1st half. Clearly you're a fan of his, can't stand him myself :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Southend United 1 Barrow 0 (HT: 1-0)
Possession: 32:68%

A crucial fourth consecutive home win for Southend although Barrow played the better football and deserved at least a point. Barrow are the biggest under achievers in League 2 based on the xG tables. The winning goal was scored in the 3rd minute by debutant Recco Hackett-Taylor (on loan from Portsmouth) who cut inside from the right and curled a left shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the area. Lewis Hardcastle should have stopped him getting the shot in.

Mr Jolley's Barrow then dominated the rest of the game but did not take their chances or make the most of playing against 10 men. Greg Halford was sent off for a second yellow card after 52 minutes Luke James had a shot tipped over the bar by Mark Oxley after catching James Olayinka in possession. Matty Platt had a header at the back post blocked by White from a corner. Barrow claimed it was handball. James Kay then dribbled into the area from a short corner and had a shot blocked. Scott Quigley put a dangerous cross across the goal. He then played a great ball to James Kay whose shot was saved again by Oxley. Chris Taylor shot wide. Dior Angus headed over the bar from a Brough cross; and then headed straight at Oxley. Matty Platt also headed straight at the keeper.

It was an entertaining game and Southend had chances to add to their lead as Barrow pushed forward looking for the equaliser. Josh Dixon made a good save from Elvis Bwomono after a great ball by Timothy Dieng. Dixon saved again from Demetriou from a cleared corner. James Olayinka was clean through after another good ball from Dieng. The ball fell to Simeon Akinola and he blasted over. However Southend parked the bus after Halford was sent off and tried to waste time as much as possible. There were 7 minutes of injury time.

Commentary was provided by BBC Radio Essex. Paul Clark, former Southend manager and player, was a good honest pundit who kept pointing out the Southend timewasting and who made some interesting points.

Josh Kay, Matty Platt and Scott Quigley are quality players for Barrow. It will be interesting to see if they attract any interest in the transfer window especially from Ian Evatt. It will also be interesting to see if Barrow stick to their footballing principles and keep trying to play out from the back.

Southend MOM: Timothy Dieng and Mark Oxley

Barrow MOM: Josh Kay and Matty Platt
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 pm

Like him or not Grant is a class player ,virtually ever present for a team that is a lot better than us .fact
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 am

:) 3 games tonight with 3 teams below us.

Exeter v Bolton

Harrogate v Carlisle

Skunkthorpe v Salford
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum