{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:01 pm

I've been very impressed with Scott Quigley in the 10 minute highlights of Barrow games I have watched this season. I also watched the full game against Morecambe where the Morecambe commentators described him as the best player they have seen at Morecambe this season. He's been a very good target man and has been a handful in most games.

It's interesting comparing Scott Quigley to Jamie Reid as they have both played non-league football until this season with Jamie Reid being 26 and Scott Quigley 28. Quigley has easily looked good enough for League 2 whereas Jamie Reid has struggled to date. Scott Quigley has scored 5 goals but he's missed some good chances as well especially against Cheltenham at home.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:21 pm

FT: Bradford City 0 Port Vale 0
Possession: 57:43%

Well I picked two duffers tonight to watch in League 2 tonight although this was a little bit better than Stevenage v Cambridge (hard not to be).

Having lost 2-0 at home to Barrow on Boxing Day and missing David Worrall, Christian Montano and Tom Conlan, John Askey played three centre halfs at the back and came to grind out a point. Worrall, Montano and Conlan have arguably been Vale's three best players this season although I do like their no nonsense keeper, Scott Brown. Askey played Nathan Smith at right back and Shaun Brisley played centre half with Leon Legge who had been dropped after Vale lost to Walsall. The game was played on a slippery snowy pitch and players from both sides frequently gave the ball away.

Port Vale's Man of the Match was Scott Brown who made a good save from Callum Cooke in the 1st half and then two good saves at the end from Callum Cooke and sub, Gareth Evans after good work by Levi Sutton on the right. Port Vale's chances were few and far between. They had a 25 yard shot from David Fitzpatrick in the first half and another shot from distance by Devante Rodney in the 2nd half. Their best moment was probably a penalty shout in the 2nd half when Bradford keeper, Sam Hornby, came flying off his line and dived in at the feet of Devante Rodney on the edge of the area. Rodney went down but no penalty was given. I thought Hornby had just got a hand on the ball but some refs would have given it. Vale will be happy with the point. Meanwhile, Bradford interim managers, Mark Trueman remain undefeated P5 W3 D2 L0

Bradford MOM: Levi Sutton and Paudie O'Connor
Port Vale MOM: Scott Brown and David Fitzpatrick
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Why didn’t you look at the xG stats before the game then you wouldn’t have picked a 0-0? :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:09 pm

I've watched Port Vale a lot this season and two of the most entertaining games I have watched were Port Vale 3 Tranmere Rovers 4 and Bolton Wanderers 3 Port Vale 6! ;)

The Stags are also playing them next so I wanted to watch them because they had made a few changes to their team.

I've just checked the xG League 2 table and Newport, Forest Green Rovers, Exeter City, Morecambe, Walsall, Cheltenham and Carlisle have the best xG scores.... just in case you wanted to know :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:11 pm

There you go then you picked the wrong game :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Source: BBC Sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55480443

Burton Albion manager Jake Buxton leaves after loss to Wigan Athletic

Burton Albion manager Jake Buxton is to leave the club after Tuesday's 4-3 defeat at home by Wigan Athletic.

That loss to the Latics, a game in which they had led three times, was their fourth in succession and left them bottom of the League One table.

Burton are six points from safety and have won one of their past 19 games.

Buxton replaced Nigel Clough as boss in May, with chairman Ben Robinson citing the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic as a factor in the switch.

The 35-year-old former Derby County and Mansfield Town centre-half initially took on the role as player-manager, having rejoined the Brewers for a second spell in the summer of 2017.

And he said he was "honoured" to have had the chance manage the club and had "loved every minute of it".

"I've been proud to be part of this football club for a long period of time, play in front of the supporters and have the honour of managing this football club at League One level," he told BBC Radio Derby.

"I wish whoever comes into the building to take this club forward is successful.

"There are some good lads in the dressing room, they do need a few fresh faces but I do believe they will get out of trouble."

In a short statement announcing Buxton's departure, Burton said "we would like to thank Jake for his hard work throughout his time at the club".
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby smulls » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:59 am

I wish I could have a lifestyle like Tappy and Martin! They have probably employed their own live-in housekeeper, chef and handyman :?
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:12 am

smulls wrote:I wish I could have a lifestyle like Tappy and Martin! They have probably employed their own live-in housekeeper, chef and handyman :?

you've forgotten the chauffeur

I do watch as much lower league football as I can in order to be as knowledgeable as I can.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 am

I enjoy watching League 2 games as it is good to check out the opposition. It's easy to find time if you do not watch any Premier League games on Sky/BT Sport or even Match of the Day.....or the rammel that is on TV most evenings. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:17 pm

All the teams near the bottom picking up points means is that the league is compressing.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 am

Todays games 3pm kick offs , be interesting to see how it pans out.
7 of the teams below us in the league.

Cambridge v Harrogate

Port Vale v Grimsby

Scunthorpe v Bradford

Southend v Barrow
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:17 am

Four draws sounds good.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:54 am

Kernow wrote:Four draws sounds good.

That was my instant reaction as well :)
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:08 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Todays games 3pm kick offs , be interesting to see how it pans out.
7 of the teams below us in the league.

Cambridge v Harrogate

Port Vale v Grimsby

Scunthorpe v Bradford

Southend v Barrow

2-1......0-0.......1-2.......2-0
That's my prediction of today's games.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:30 am

Surely it would be better for Southend and Grimsby to get battered ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:12 pm

The One wrote:Surely it would be better for Southend and Grimsby to get battered ?

Is that battered shrimp and fish? :getmecoat:
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:21 pm

It's the magic of the cup. Chorley got the game on by the ground staff working throughout the night. Derby have so much covid in the ranks that they haven't even selected their best under 18s side. Derby are making 11 debuts today. Incredibly Chorley should be favourites.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:34 pm

Scunny game off due to frozen pitch
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:36 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:It's the magic of the cup. Chorley got the game on by the ground staff working throughout the night. Derby have so much covid in the ranks that they haven't even selected their best under 18s side. Derby are making 11 debuts today. Incredibly Chorley should be favourites.

Chorley 1-0 up.

Keep an eye on bobby Duncan for derby...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Willem Tomlinson is playing - found his level.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:45 pm

I’m watching Lincoln v Posh. Jorge Grant is playing well. How did we manage to waste his talent to much when he was here?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:55 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’m watching Lincoln v Posh. Jorge Grant is playing well. How did we manage to waste his talent to much when he was here?

Quality penalty
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’m watching Lincoln v Posh. Jorge Grant is playing well. How did we manage to waste his talent to much when he was here?

Did we waste it, or did he? He had a great debut, and then just strolled round the pitch like he didn't care after that. Never put a tackle in or tracked back, I know that's not his role but it felt like watching 10 men when he played sometimes
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:18 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:It's the magic of the cup. Chorley got the game on by the ground staff working throughout the night. Derby have so much covid in the ranks that they haven't even selected their best under 18s side. Derby are making 11 debuts today. Incredibly Chorley should be favourites.

Chorley 1-0 up.

Keep an eye on bobby Duncan for derby...

Hope Nige doesn't listen to you ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Quality penalty

Only thing that let him down all game.

Bobby, when you have a player who is too good for the level, as he was, you either build the team around him or don’t play him. It was probably the wrong move to bring him in hindsight.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum