{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vaccinate players?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vaccinate players?

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:15 pm

I might buy a few and bang em on Facebook Market place to make some cash on the side
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:32 pm

chip63 wrote:
wink68 wrote:Vaccinate your star striker who is a young fit lad and may not even show any symptoms and not your granny who will be very ill or probably die. Anyone even thinking this should be ashamed of themselves. There's an order of vaccination set out for a reason. No matter how rich you are you can't jump the queue and so it should be.

Take 10 mins to vaccinate your star striker, the weeks to follow could see thousands of vulnerable people vaccinated.
I think the question is the waste of resources on testing young fit footballers twice a week when it could be used in a better way.
It must be costing nearly half a million a week.

Its not about time or money, it's about a limited availability. Any vaccine given to a footballer in the next two months is taken away from a vulnerable person who could die
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm

Is that the same professional footballers who were photographed at parties over xmas and new year against all the rules for normal people. Quite honestly they should be last to get it because alot of them are super spreaders and are talking the pish
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Beano » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:53 pm

If there was an endless supply in the country, then private companies/individuals buying supplies from the NHS would put some funding back.

However, the bottle neck is the supply chain, so a waiting list based on clinical need is the only humane way to proceed.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Beano wrote:If there was an endless supply in the country, then private companies/individuals buying supplies from the NHS would put some funding back.

However, the bottle neck is the supply chain, so a waiting list based on clinical need is the only humane way to proceed.

Well said young man.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:00 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:Is that the same professional footballers who were photographed at parties over xmas and new year against all the rules for normal people. Quite honestly they should be last to get it because alot of them are super spreaders and are talking the pish

Well there you go. Surely there's an argument to do the super spreaders first. Stop the spread.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:05 pm

Beano wrote:If there was an endless supply in the country, then private companies/individuals buying supplies from the NHS would put some funding back.

What about when the supply chain can handle more orders? Would it be ethical then for the FA to buy jabs to give to players when there is capacity to meet all existing orders to governments?
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

What about when the supply chain can handle more orders? Would it be ethical then for the FA to buy jabs to give to players when there is capacity to meet all existing orders to governments?

By that time all the population will be vacced.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:14 pm

I would love to give the superspreaders an injection alright but it wouldnt be the vaccine they got. Inject them with live virus of super strength that would give them a chance and they would be proper superspreaders. Same chance my relative in a care home got last year
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:21 pm

The One wrote:

By that time all the population will be vacced.

What if they aren't, and there is capacity in the production to supply more to the FA. Would it be ok for the FA to buy 10k jabs then?
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:39 pm

Once we’re in a position where buying the vaccine private does not deny someone who cannot afford to pay, then there’s no problem.

This may well be the position every year, if an annual vaccine is required. Pretty much like some organisations fund the flu jab for staff.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm

wink68 wrote:Vaccinate your star striker who is a young fit lad and may not even show any symptoms and not your granny who will be very ill or probably die. Anyone even thinking this should be ashamed of themselves. There's an order of vaccination set out for a reason. No matter how rich you are you can't jump the queue and so it should be.

I bet the super rich don't wait till they get a letter from their local GP surgery to say it's their turn for a jab. They'll know someone who knows someone who can get it in their arm in 5mins for a wad.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Spiritater wrote:

I bet the super rich don't wait till they get a letter from their local GP surgery to say it's their turn for a jab. They'll know someone who knows someone who can get it in their arm in 5mins for a wad.

It happened in Poland (I think that's where it was) and the hospital were fined.

Footballers should get the vaccine once the 9 priority categories have been sorted out, by then I suspect we will have enough vaccine to get through everyone else but the priority has to be those who Covid might kill!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Oh please do define 'the super rich'. Do you mean people like John and Carolyn Radford?
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:11 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Oh please do define 'the super rich'. Do you mean people like John and Carolyn Radford?

Not anymore :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:14 pm

Yes Rob i know but those with the wad will not care. If they can get themselves, and anyone close to them vaccinated first for a price they'll find a way.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:18 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Johnny n Caz aren't super rich, they're just 'woth a bob or two'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Well it's all gone quiet on here now. Just had to play devils advocate - peoples idea of what's fair fascinates me. I did my master's thesis on fairness around John Rawls' Justice as Fairness.

Unsurprisingly, privilege usually has an important role to play.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Blackburn Stag » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 pm

chip63 wrote:It would be easier and cheaper and safer to vaccinate players than to mass test twice a week.
Surely the person taking the swab could just as easily give an injection.

Not really my words but Sean dyche, at first I was disgusted but after a little thought it's not that crazy.
If they did set this up and continued helping to vaccinate the general public it could help.
Every club setting up a vaccination scheme and doing a minimum of 1000 a week.

You should have stopped at "disgusted".
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Number63 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:23 pm

chip63 wrote:It would be easier and cheaper and safer to vaccinate players than to mass test twice a week.
Surely the person taking the swab could just as easily give an injection.

Not really my words but Sean dyche, at first I was disgusted but after a little thought it's not that crazy.
If they did set this up and continued helping to vaccinate the general public it could help.
Every club setting up a vaccination scheme and doing a minimum of 1000 a week.

I agree with your first assessment.

If clubs want to share spaces to help with the administration of the "jab' that might work. But that wouldn't mean players at the club should get priority.
The priority for jab is nicely set out here

https://open.spotify.com/episode/71YPrv ... 0UgtnHW8yQ

Or you can find it on the BBC. Search more or less episode 71
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:06 am

I'm one of the Vunerrable whose been hiding for months waiting for that magic letter to arrive,
It would not bother me one bit if all clubs provided vaccine centres with the money they saved from testing and vaccinated their players in the first hour.
I will listen to Anything that helps me and 15 million other Vunerrable people get this vaccine quicker.
Every avenue to increase the vaccinations should be debated.

I know and everybody on here knows it won't happen, I'm just saying if they did it would not bother me one bit.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 am

Much is being triumphed and sang from the battlements that the PFA is paying part towards testing of players from now on. A union doing something that it could be argued for sake of business continuity the employer should do?? (Don’t bother replying to that sentence unless you are a really sad individual with nothing better to do as the point to my post is coming next).

But when the Union pays its 76 yr old leader 1.936,786 for a years salary you have to wonder why they could not have acted sooner in the interests of their members or why is the PFA, a registered charity, spending this money on him. The money they have allocated for dementia research is less than one fifth of the above, remember that every time you think of Kevin Bird now and Danny Rose in generations to come.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:09 am

The problem is not the supply of the vaccine but the speed of getting it into peoples arms. The aim is 2m a week which means it will take 60 weeks to inoculate everyone twice. I have no great faith in the NHS bureaucracy to achieve these figures. So why should certain categories jump the queue unless they are providing an essential service that would fail if they were off work ill
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:12 am

No, wait their turn.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 am

It's obviously a non-starter, simply because there's currently not enough vaccination to meet demand. Financial considerations are a distant second in the race to get the more vulnerable vaccinated.

Perhaps if it gets to the stage that vaccine doses are sitting around in large numbers waiting to be used, you could argue that clubs could pick up some of the supplies and use their own facilities to inoculate the players and staff. But we're a long way from that.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum