{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Player.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Player.

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 am

So a free hit for Nige, will he rest players? Will he think of a big day out at a big club like Arsenal, Chelsea or Loooooun? Play like Tues and we've every chance haven't we?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on BBC site.

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:37 am

it's live on the FA Player
https://faplayer.thefa.com/home/all

You have to register for a free account. There is also an app you can download if watching on tablet or smartphone

I'll amend the thread title
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:38 am

I don't think Nigel sees it as a free hit. He told me after the game that he was very keen to win to give him a bigger budget for signing players.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:38 am

Ok Marty thanks
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am

Spiritater wrote:So a free hit for Nige, will he rest players? Will he think of a big day out at a big club like Arsenal, Chelsea or Loooooun? Play like Tues and we've every chance haven't we?

He always takes cup competitions seriously, it's why he's been to 3 semi finals as a League One manager, he also loves ruffling the feathers of so called "bigger" managers. Very often, the cup run has been the catalyst for a good run in the league, still remember Burton fans saying we should rest players for the Shrewsbury first round League Cup away game as it's a "nothing" cup tie. 5 games later they're playing Man City in the semi final.

QPR, Fulham, West Ham, Villa, Forest, Charlton, Southampton, Burnley, Boro ALL thought they'd stroll it against a League One side, all of them sent packing.

He'll be drumming into the players all week about the importance of the game AND the opportunity it presents, win this, get a favourable draw and you never know.

I can't see any reason to change the team barring injuries or knocks, even if we signed someone who wasn't cup tied, I'd expect them to have to bide their time. If we play as well as we have been we'll win. If we get complacent we won't.

Massive, massive game.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:53 am

I cannot believe in this day and age the FA player sign-up asks if you are male or female without the option for non-binary.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:59 am

Martin the app and link keeps saying error on the last page when setting up the account using phone or tablet. Is this account independent of the ifollow or efl rewards. Any ideas, thankyou in anticipation.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:03 am

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Martin the app and link keeps saying error on the last page when setting up the account using phone or tablet. Is this account independent of the ifollow or efl rewards. Any ideas, thankyou in anticipation.

It's a very glitchy app, that seems to alternate between the app and the FA website depending on certain pages. It took me a while to get it working.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:10 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I don't think Nigel sees it as a free hit. He told me after the game that he was very keen to win to give him a bigger budget for signing players.

How does him winning this game give him a bigger budget under the new league two budget rules ???
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:22 am

It will be nice to see a manager take the cups seriously.

We're a club who haven't had much recent history in the cups and its long overdue.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

Cheltenham on a very poor run of form at the moment. No wins in their last 5 league games. With the confidence in our team at the moment, this game is there for the taking.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 am

Dave Wayne wrote:Cheltenham on a very poor run of form at the moment. No wins in their last 5 league games. With the confidence in our team at the moment, this game is there for the taking.

on the flip side to this, if they tinker with the team, some players might be trying to force themselves into the manager's plans.

I think a tough game 1 - 0 either way
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I don't think Nigel sees it as a free hit. He told me after the game that he was very keen to win to give him a bigger budget for signing players.

How does him winning this game give him a bigger budget under the new league two budget rules ???[/

He might only have been given 300k for the January transfer window, our maximum spend left could be 500k.
John Radford might of agreed we can go up to the maximum if we win Sunday.
The less we need to spend this season the better.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am

chip63 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

How does him winning this game give him a bigger budget under the new league two budget rules ???[/

He might only have been given 300k for the January transfer window, our maximum spend left could be 500k.

It’s a wage cap not a transfer fee cap. I believe you can spend what you like on transfer fees, it’s the wages that are restricted.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:42 am

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Martin the app and link keeps saying error on the last page when setting up the account using phone or tablet. Is this account independent of the ifollow or efl rewards. Any ideas, thankyou in anticipation.

it is completely independent of iFollow.

I set an account for me, and another up for my dad, on the website and had no problem. I installed the app on mobile devices separately. Try setting your account up on the website, rather than the app, would be my suggestion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 am

And you could also chuck a few grand in on a signing on fee if it’s spare. That could determine whether or not a player signs.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:57 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:
chip63 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

It’s a wage cap not a transfer fee cap. I believe you can spend what you like on transfer fees, it’s the wages that are restricted.

Not only that, but we do not know how far we are from the wage cap, I suspect there are plenty of clubs in League 2 spending nowhere near the wage cap and I am sure our wage budget has been reduced dramatically over the past two seasons. If he can move on a few higher earners and if there is money left within the cap he could well afford some quality in what will almost certainly be a buyers market.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:it's live on the FA Player

You have to register for a free account. There is also an app you can download if watching on tablet or smartphone

Just a quick point, you only have to register if you do not already have an FA account, which all referee's have as well as other amateur officials. You can use your FAN to log in as normal - it will ask you what team you support, you can nominate two, but they must be Premier League!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:it's live on the FA Player

Just a quick point, you only have to register if you do not already have an FA account, which all referee's have as well as other amateur officials. You can use your FAN to log in as normal - it will ask you what team you support, you can nominate two, but they must be Premier League!

It's worse than that Rob - the choice of teams is Women's Super League or Championship !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:03 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

it is completely independent of iFollow.

I set an account for me, and another up for my dad, on the website and had no problem. I installed the app on mobile devices separately. Try setting your account up on the website, rather than the app, would be my suggestion.

Sorted Martin thankyou very much much appreciated.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:30 pm

Spiritater wrote:So a free hit for Nige, will he rest players? Will he think of a big day out at a big club like Arsenal, Chelsea or Loooooun? Play like Tues and we've every chance haven't we?

Free hit??? Not for those watching, supporting, wanting the lifelong dream of a Stags Captain holding aloft the holy grail of domestic football to come true, agonizing over the game and wanting to go into work with their heads held high will there ever be such thing as a free hit. Graham used two cup games this season, the league cup and a ‘Stuffed Crust Cup’ game as friendlies or ‘free hits’ as you call them and look where that got us.

Many years ago I was told by Graham Taylor (Central Midlands League and Mansfield Sunday League referee) that there is no such thing as a friendly in football. For once the whistle is blown to start the game if you aren’t going to give it your all to win it then you should not be there.

It’s a cup game with one shot at glory, one shot at wanting to see Paul Merson pull our ball out of the giant plastic bowl, one shot of ringing colleagues and friends on Sunday afternoon to tell them that we will get their Premier League team of shithouses and beat them and one shot at having another month of something to look forward to.

Thanks but no thanks to the theory of free hits, it is for losers and if they don’t want to give their all on Sunday they need the jersey to be taken from their hands before they pull it on.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:42 pm

I’ve just registered . Not sure what for though . Will I be able to watch on my tv or will I have to use the lead from laptop to tv like I do for iFollow. Last round I flicked around bbc channels till I found the game but I never registered for anything . Is this round different?
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:51 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:I’ve just registered . Not sure what for though . Will I be able to watch on my tv or will I have to use the lead from laptop to tv like I do for iFollow. Last round I flicked around bbc channels till I found the game but I never registered for anything . Is this round different?

yes, this round is different. It is not on TV. Though you can connect your laptop to your TV via an HDMI lead.

it's live on the FA Player

You have to register for a free account. There is also an app you can download if watching on tablet or smartphone. Or you can just watch on the website.

It is only available in the UK. If you are outside the UK (or indeed in the UK), then you can listen to commentary on iFollow with me and Dean.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Mansf1eld » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:03 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:I cannot believe in this day and age the FA player sign-up asks if you are male or female without the option for non-binary.

Maybe because you've either got a tail or you haven't?
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:07 pm

I've not tested it but I see no reason why the FA player would not work on a smart tv via the tv's internet browser.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum