{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Salford City post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Salford City post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm

Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Salford City post match & match highlights

Postby The One » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:07 pm

You are a star . Thanks
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:08 pm

Cheers SoS. He's spot on about the whole team performance, we were superb.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:16 pm

Don’t agree with Cloughy about Maris being less solid than Clarke defensively. When Clarke was in front of the back four he took unnecessary risks and didn’t hold his position, because he likes to burst forward with the ball. Maris holds his position well, keeps the ball moving from side to side and makes good decisions defensively.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:29 pm

The One wrote:You are a star . Thanks

Rob wrote:Cheers SoS. He's spot on about the whole team performance, we were superb.

You're both welcome

:coys:
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:25 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Don’t agree with Cloughy about Maris being less solid than Clarke defensively. When Clarke was in front of the back four he took unnecessary risks and didn’t hold his position, because he likes to burst forward with the ball. Maris holds his position well, keeps the ball moving from side to side and makes good decisions defensively.

Did xG tell you that :lol: I see what you are saying but I only recall one occasion when Clarke was caught out, which in a game like that, on a pitch like that, is very impressive. Clarke is now every bit the player I thought we were getting when GC signed him. I think the midfield as a four are good enough to win this league and players like Rawson and Bowery have flourished under NC.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Don’t agree with Cloughy about Maris being less solid than Clarke defensively. When Clarke was in front of the back four he took unnecessary risks and didn’t hold his position, because he likes to burst forward with the ball. Maris holds his position well, keeps the ball moving from side to side and makes good decisions defensively.

Think Nigel knows best.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:33 am

Rob wrote:

Did xG tell you that :lol: I see what you are saying but I only recall one occasion when Clarke was caught out, which in a game like that, on a pitch like that, is very impressive. Clarke is now every bit the player I thought we were getting when GC signed him. I think the midfield as a four are good enough to win this league and players like Rawson and Bowery have flourished under NC.

I meant over the whole season rather than tonight Rob. The games where Maris has started in front of the back four we’ve won 4 and drawn 2. One of those we were winning before Maris went off. We’ve conceded four goals on those games, two of which were conceded after Maris went off.

There’s a lot of praise for this midfield four which does not exist :lol: it’s a midfield five or a midfield three.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 am

No blame should be attached to Stech for their goal.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 am

Spiritater wrote:

Think Nigel knows best.

I’ll throw that back at you after your comments questioning the selection of Reid
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:53 am

bellwhiff wrote:No blame should be attached to Stech for their goal.

Really, looked like he was doing his warm up with star fish jumps :lol:
I have a feeling he won't be in net for next season's promotion push
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am

Nigel knows best. Reid is what he is and at the moment he's doing part of job for the team. Just think what could be if he scored some goals. Imo we'd be a lot closer to the top. He's a work in progress for Nigel.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 am

As soon as it went in my reaction was that he was at fault. Looked like he misread the flight of the ball. He should have dealt with it.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 am

I don't think Stech was at fault. The ball got past a couple of our players at the near post, which is why it ended up crossing a packed six-yard box. There were too many bodies in there for Stech to have any chance of getting to the ball.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AlanStag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:46 am

PaulG wrote:I don't think Stech was at fault. The ball got past a couple of our players at the near post, which is why it ended up crossing a packed six-yard box. There were too many bodies in there for Stech to have any chance of getting to the ball.

Why did he come for it then? He misread the cross and got left in no mans land, he should be able to get something on it seen as he can use his hands.

I genuinely can't beleive how lightly Stech is getting off when Conrad got dogs abuse for a lot less. I stand by the fact Stech has made more errors in his short spell than Conrad's entire time here.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:59 am

It. was his fault. He had it in his midriff and it squirmed through. He should have clung on to it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:18 am

AlanStag wrote:I genuinely can't beleive how lightly Stech is getting off when Conrad got dogs abuse for a lot less. I stand by the fact Stech has made more errors in his short spell than Conrad's entire time here.

I agree Alan. Conrad was always given stick by some fans.....particularly Yorkie :lol: ..... for any goal that the Stags conceded from a corner even when it was not his fault.

Conrad would also have been slaughtered for Mansfield's first goal. Hladky seemed slow going down for it. He did make two good saves in the first half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 am

It looked like he should have saved the first goal to me.

I thought the save from Charsley was quite routine. It was from a narrow angle which made it easier for the keeper to get into a blocking position.

This is where XG or XS data can come in useful as we can compare how other keepers perform against similar opportunities.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:07 am

I think Marek should be doing alot better than he did with there goal.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 am

These are league two goalkeepers not internationals , give them a break Salford’s keeper is good yet made a mistake yet made good saves just like our keeper did.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 pm

AlanStag wrote:
PaulG wrote:I don't think Stech was at fault. The ball got past a couple of our players at the near post, which is why it ended up crossing a packed six-yard box. There were too many bodies in there for Stech to have any chance of getting to the ball.

Why did he come for it then? He misread the cross and got left in no mans land, he should be able to get something on it seen as he can use his hands.

I genuinely can't beleive how lightly Stech is getting off when Conrad got dogs abuse for a lot less. I stand by the fact Stech has made more errors in his short spell than Conrad's entire time here.

Seconded. As soon as it went in I shouted “Stech again” at the screen and the replays didn’t change my mind either.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
AlanStag wrote:I genuinely can't beleive how lightly Stech is getting off when Conrad got dogs abuse for a lot less. I stand by the fact Stech has made more errors in his short spell than Conrad's entire time here.

I agree Alan. Conrad was always given stick by some fans.....particularly Yorkie :lol: ..... for any goal that the Stags conceded from a corner even when it was not his fault.

Conrad would also have been slaughtered for Mansfield's first goal. Hladky seemed slow going down for it. He did make two good saves in the first half.

I don't think it was a big mistake last night from Stech, the ball came through about 3 or 4 players jumping for the ball, none of them made contact and he had absolutely no time to react. You could argue the corner was so close to the goal that he should have challenged for the initial ball, but once the defenders and strikers missed it he really had little chance to do anything about it. On another day it falls to a defender who clears. It certainly wasn't a howler.

On our first goal, almost similar in a way as the ball went through players legs on the edge of the area so he would have been unsighted. Again one that had he been better placed he could have saved, but again I don't think it was a howler.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:08 pm

CassellsCap wrote:These are league two goalkeepers not internationals , give them a break Salford’s keeper is good yet made a mistake yet made good saves just like our keeper did.

I think you may find both have played for their country, Stech at full international and the other lad at under 18 and 21 level. :D :D

But yes, in essence you are correct, they now ply their trade at league 2 level.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:06 pm

[quote="kevin kents tasce"]It looked like he should have saved the first goal to me.

I thought the save from Charsley was quite routine. It was from a narrow angle which made it easier for the keeper to get into a blocking position.

This is where XG or XS data can come in useful as we can compare how other keepers perform against similar opportunities.[/quot

Please noooooooo :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:08 pm

CassellsCap wrote:These are league two goalkeepers not internationals , give them a break Salford’s keeper is good yet made a mistake yet made good saves just like our keeper did.

Conrad wasn't given a break.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum