{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Happy Clapper view

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Happy Clapper view

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:12 pm

The table is deceptive. The squad we have on paper and in reality is better than the position suggests. 11 draws is more than any team on the top 5 divisions and we have the same number of defeats as Carlisle who are top. It's a shame we have been mismanaged for so much of this season so far under Coughlan and had so many draws, as even under Clough's improved approach, it's unlikely we'll turn enough draws and defeats into wins and make the playoffs, but stranger things have happened. It's only 8 points :shock:

Some decent signings in Jan and who knows! Come on you Stags!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: The Happy Clapper view

Postby nick_stags » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 pm

I can’t even begin to fathom what Coughlan was doing with them. These are the same players who got absolutely destroyed by Barrow. And Barrow are crap.

I think it’s too big an ask for the playoffs...but who knows.
Last edited by nick_stags on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:30 pm

ParisStag wrote:The table is deceptive. The squad we have on paper and in reality is better than the position suggests.

Have you been looking at the xG tables Josh? :lol:

P.S. On no account admit this to Big Yella.....even if he agrees to buy you a pint!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:31 pm

If current form since NC took over was maintained, a big ask tbh, we'd finish on 67 points.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:41 am

Sneag wrote:If current form since NC took over was maintained, a big ask tbh, we'd finish on 67 points.

Maintaining our form over the past 6 games gets us 70 points.

We carry on our form in the last 4 games we will finish on 78 points. That's an extremely big ask :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 am

Dare to Dream ?
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:06 am

nick_stags wrote:I can’t even begin to fathom what Coughlan was doing with them. These are the same players who got absolutely destroyed by Barrow. And Barrow are crap.

I think it’s too big an ask for the playoffs...but who knows.

Coughlans awful man management was certainly a big factor in it... You could tell he was the kind of old school 'angry shout in ya face' type of coach which just doesnt work in the modern game anymore.
The fact that so many players & ex players 'liked' social media posts about his sacking says it all really and i would be very surprised if he gets another league management job.

Playoffs are not out of the question... Put a decent run together and we'll soon be there or thereabouts but lets be honest realistically speaking Cloughie will have one eye on building a promotion winning team for 21/22 instead.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 am

yellowstagsfan wrote:Dare to Dream ?

Always dare to dream. Even when we were mired (and we aren’t out of it yet), I paid as much attention to the gap to the playoffs.
Some sensible additions to improve the squad and if we kick on, it’s absolutely possible.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:49 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Sneag wrote:If current form since NC took over was maintained, a big ask tbh, we'd finish on 67 points.

We carry on our form in the last 4 games we will finish on 78 points. That's an extremely big ask :lol:

What if we carry on our form from the last 3? :shock:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:55 am

Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Champions, my dear boy, Champions
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 am

We seem a lot fitter under Nigel. In the early days the midfield looked knackered after 70 minutes. Now they all run for the full 90.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 am

Could be in a very healthy position at the end of Jan, Tough game against Carlisle but Oldham, Southend, Bolton and Walsall are all very winnable games.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 am

stag861 wrote:We seem a lot fitter under Nigel. In the early days the midfield looked knackered after 70 minutes. Now they all run for the full 90.

Nigel said last night he encouraged the team to attack as you do less running if you pen the opposition in their half. I think Coughlan relied on defensive solidity and edging out close games (hence the draws) so players zapped their energy at full concentration for 90 minutes.

Coughlan did get them fit I think his approach and mindset blunted the team.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:24 pm

stag861 wrote:We seem a lot fitter under Nigel. In the early days the midfield looked knackered after 70 minutes. Now they all run for the full 90.
It great but ideally we need them to run for 94 minutes+. Only a small percentage increase in fitness required to go the full distance then.
A bit like "Domestos". During the 70's they bragged their product "Kills 99.9% of germs", all they needed in achieving the holy grail of 100% over the last 40 years was an improvement of around 0.1%. Did they achieve this minute improvement? - NO.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:02 pm

ST4GS wrote:
It great but ideally we need them to run for 94 minutes+. Only a small percentage increase in fitness required to go the full distance then.
A bit like "Domestos". During the 70's they bragged their product "Kills 99.9% of germs", all they needed in achieving the holy grail of 100% over the last 40 years was an improvement of around 0.1%. Did they achieve this minute improvement? - NO.

Go for a lie down.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:37 pm

As long as we finish this season strongly we will do well next season. How you finish a season can be a decent indicator. We seem to be on track to a decent season after all. Can we nick a play off place?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:17 pm

Anything above mid-table would be a big bonus for me!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:29 pm

Just keep us up Cloughie lad
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Evans used to say that changes had to be made to the team to play Sat-Tues Sat-Tues
I think Nigel has totally disproved this theory. No substitutions last night playing the same team and they still looked very fresh
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:39 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:

Evans used to say that changes had to be made to the team to play Sat-Tues Sat-Tues
I think Nigel has totally disproved this theory. No substitutions last night playing the same team and they still looked very fresh

Winning 3 in a row definitely helps that as well!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:05 pm

AlanStag wrote:Coughlan did get them fit I think his approach and mindset blunted the team.

I agree Alan. Graham Coughlan's team were certainly a lot fitter than John Dempster's side.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby cornish stag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:29 pm

ST4GS wrote:

Its a legal failsafe, you have to be able to prove your claims, so they've sensibly left a percentage of error to cover their backsides.

I think its all going to come out in the wash.
cornish stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:33 pm

part time pete wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Champions, my dear boy, Champions

This
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:04 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:

Evans was full of crap (& still is). The reason we weren’t as fit under him is because he used to do an hour or so training then bugger off home (allegedly).
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:34 pm

Dan wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Evans was full of crap (& still is). The reason we weren’t as fit under him is because he used to do an hour or so training then bugger off home (allegedly).

Other reason we weren't fit is because he was in charge of catering.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum