{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby oldweststander » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:16 am

FarnieStag wrote:I have no problem with the commentary from either of them. Martin is obviously very knowledgeable, and I think Dean offers a bit of bloke-next-door Mansfield reality.
It's just paying for something that fans of most other clubs get for free that I have an issue with

Tell me who gets Ifollow for tree, it is news to me?

Any how, why should that matter, the club needs money to survive.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:22 am

Big yella wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
part time pete wrote:I was shocked when O’keefee was on the pitch, never seen or heard about the substitution.

I did describe it, with sponsors' names as I have to do.

Yes you did Martin.

Everyone please, get off Martin and Dean's case.

If you don't like what you hear, vote with your feet.

I for one will still be watching.

What an absolute dick of an argument.

Firstly, I'm a Stags fan, I've had to endure more than a sheite co-commentator in the last 50 years and still keep going, watching and listening.

Secondly, I'm paying for this service and will say Dean is rubbish if I feel like it.

Thirdly, if I vote with my feet as you say where do I get to see the game? ifollow is a monopoly, and like 99% of monopolies it offers awful service because it knows the customer has no other choice .

It wasn't an argument, it was advice.

If you want to watch the game then watch it, stop moaning about the commo. We Stags fans of old, like yourself, could never have dreamed of watching our team week after week on TV.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:34 am

Wouldn't the solution be to watch it without the commentary.

It is what it is, Martin and Dean do their best.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby iansmith » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:50 pm

I certainly don't agree with some of the comments on here but recognise people are entitled to their view. As a season ticket holder surrounded by Leeds Utd & Harrogate fans the last thing I need on match day is a wannabe Gary Lineker and some ex-pro trying to explain the game to me. For me, much better to have two long standing fans with a real passion for the club (and Dean's local accent). So keep up the good work, stay safe and best wishes for Christmas & the New Year to you both and your families.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby FarnieStag » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:14 pm

oldweststander wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:I have no problem with the commentary from either of them. Martin is obviously very knowledgeable, and I think Dean offers a bit of bloke-next-door Mansfield reality.
It's just paying for something that fans of most other clubs get for free that I have an issue with

Sorry for daring to question the fact they we pay for something others fans get for free i.e. match day commentary.

Most other clubs did a deal with local radio to offer free-to-air commentary to their fans. Feel free to keep happy clapping though
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:30 pm

FarnieStag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Sorry for daring to question the fact they we pay for something others fans get for free i.e. match day commentary.

Most other clubs did a deal with local radio to offer free-to-air commentary to their fans. Feel free to keep happy clapping though

Most clubs did a deal, really, how do you know that?

You have a right to question, no probs, but you cannot expect perfection from volunteers.

I think it is our role as supporters to do the best we can to support the club, I don't mean by giving money for nothing but supporting Ifollow for home games is one way.

As some on here no doubt remember and I have had my critics at times but I am certainly not a "happy clapper".
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:04 pm

oldweststander wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Most clubs did a deal, really, how do you know that?

You have a right to question, no probs, but you cannot expect perfection from volunteers.

I think it is our role as supporters to do the best we can to support the club, I don't mean by giving money for nothing but supporting Ifollow for home games is one way.

As some on here no doubt remember and I have had my critics at times but I am certainly not a "happy clapper".

You obviously didn't read my initial post as I didn't say that I expected perfection... if you actually read it you'll see I praised both the commentators.

Re: Clubs doing deals... it's hardly top-secret. Tune into local radio virtually anywhere in England on a Sat afternoon and you'll hear live commentary (and that includes League 2). These clubs don't give away match rights for free.
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:12 pm

Bit quiet on this thread... stags must have won a game....
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Bit quiet on this thread... stags must have won a game....

If I remember correctly we won two
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Fair dos, I thought the commentary team did well v Port Vale in what must have been difficult conditions to see the ball and the players in

Though Dean did sound like he’d been smoking 40 a day over the Christmas period! Thought Johnny Cash was on at one point. :lol: fair play for continuing. Get well soon!
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby old ram stag » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:22 pm

fox in the box wrote:Fair dos, I thought the commentary team did well v Port Vale in what must have been difficult conditions to see the ball and the players in

Though Dean did sound like he’d been smoking 40 a day over the Christmas period! Thought Johnny Cash was on at one point. :lol: fair play for continuing. Get well soon!

Hope he hasnt got a Ring of fire...
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:25 pm

old ram stag wrote:
fox in the box wrote:Fair dos, I thought the commentary team did well v Port Vale in what must have been difficult conditions to see the ball and the players in

Hope he hasnt got a Ring of fire...

Yes, that would ‘Hurt’
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 pm

It is a fact that most clubs have their local radio covering their games, and that commentary also covers ifollow, as a stag radio nottm is failing by covering Forest and County they do a disservice to many people in the nottinghamshire area and surrounding districts, Missing a lot banter from Martin and Dean, and yes Mansfield is a major club in nottinghamshire
and deserves it own station on matchday, We have gt the Commentators
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:57 pm

bear 73 wrote:It is a fact that most clubs have their local radio covering their games, and that commentary also covers ifollow, as a stag radio nottm is failing by covering Forest and County they do a disservice to many people in the nottinghamshire area and surrounding districts, Missing a lot banter from Martin and Dean, and yes Mansfield is a major club in nottinghamshire

Mansfield 103.2 radio have bought the rights for away match commentary but refuse to put it on their radio station.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:15 pm

part time pete wrote:
bear 73 wrote:It is a fact that most clubs have their local radio covering their games, and that commentary also covers ifollow, as a stag radio nottm is failing by covering Forest and County they do a disservice to many people in the nottinghamshire area and surrounding districts, Missing a lot banter from Martin and Dean, and yes Mansfield is a major club in nottinghamshire

Mansfield 103.2 radio have bought the rights for away match commentary but refuse to put it on their radio station.

Just bought a saddle for the horse I shot
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:04 pm

You can tell you're new round here bear not knowing the utter mess 102.3 has made of local football commentary... or lack of it as the case may be. T'beeb's tried numerous times to get home and away commo only for t'club to give the rights to the local ramshackle outfit who then can't be arsed to even provide basic commo on away games. Been going on for 3-4 years now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:

You can tell you're new round here bear not knowing the utter mess 102.3 has made of local football commentary... or lack of it as the case may be. T'beeb's tried numerous times to get home and away commo only for t'club to give the rights to the local ramshackle outfit who then can't be arsed to even provide basic commo on away games. Been going on for 3-4 years now.

:lol: 103.2 ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:13 pm

Hey it's that long since I listened to Delahunty's mob I've forgot the number sequence.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:25 pm

Spiritater wrote:Hey it's that long since I listened to Delahunty's mob I've forgot the number sequence.

I won a prize on the Hardwick Christmas advent calendar :D Watko rang my up ,said Hardwicks ,answered the question right and won some women's perfume .

Got into my woman's clothes ,splashed it on ,got my hoover out while listening to i want to break free :lol:

Best Christmas ever :roll:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 pm

looks like Plymouth are the first club that used BBC commentary for their iFollow, to ditch the BBC commentary (as it will no longer be available for away games as the BBC have stopped their reporters from travelling). They are moving to their own commentators, who will travel home and away.

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby garlic » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:03 pm

Dont know if anyone else caught Deans wonderful comment at the end of the first half, but it was pure Mansfield. He said something like, these are a good team it`s not like we`re playing the likes of chesterfield or notts county. Brilliant.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm

He's just telling the truth
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:22 pm

Both of them were brilliant tonight. Had me in stitches at times. Thought it was my laptop when they started sounding like robots but Martin sorted it by logging out and back in again.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:23 pm

Dan wrote:Both of them were brilliant tonight. Had me in stitches at times. Thought it was my laptop when they started sounding like robots but Martin sorted it by logging out and back in again.

Best line was ‘people are texting in saying we sound like robots. We’ve been called worse Martin’ :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dan wrote:Both of them were brilliant tonight. Had me in stitches at times. Thought it was my laptop when they started sounding like robots but Martin sorted it by logging out and back in again.

Best line was ‘people are texting in saying we sound like robots. We’ve been called worse Martin’ :lol:

:lol: Brilliant that was
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum