{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vale scorefred sponsored by Drains R Us

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vale scorefred sponsored by Drains R Us

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 pm

Very good interview by Bowery much better than some past managers
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
chip63 wrote:XG computer just blown a fuse, I'm so happy :D

:coys:

xG computer has just told me that the Stags were 9th in the xG table and Port Vale were 15th so the Stags are reverting to the mean by winning a few more games as it predicted may happen :lol:

Said they yesterday but The One told me in the real world that Vale were above us all the table. Anyone would think the table doesn’t always tell the full story of how a team is performing.

You're so right, none of us in the many years we have been watching football could possibly have learned that teams can hit bad form and start moving down the table, until you XG boys told us so.

We never realised that teams can start climbing the table when things change at the club, oh I don't know like changing a manager. Thanks again XG boys.

Please let us all know when the result is in, maybe we can celebrate a home win this season.

And there he is right on cue. I was starting to get worried about you.

Who’d have thought two letters could trigger someone so much :lol:

None of those two things you’ve mentioned have anything to do with xG btw. You continued to demonstrate your misunderstanding of it.

Most people just say it’s not for them and get on with their day, fair enough. But your vehement, commited protests against it can only be applauded.

I haven't misunderstood it at all, it was you and Tippy saying how your wonderful XG computer predicted a Stags win, and that none of us luddites thought it would happen. I merely pointed out, all be it sarcastically, that some of us don't need over rated mumbo jumbo to realise Port Vale are in terrible form and that having watched all our games, we were and still are, getting better all the time under NC and therefore even after looking at the actual League 2 table, a win today was no surprise, even if the size of it was.

Just like we don't need it to realise that Salford will be a tougher task on Tuesday or that Cheltenham's dip in form and our continued improvement gives us a better chance of making the fourth round than we had when the draw was made.

As for two letters triggering someone, ha ha, this from the fella whose game day isn't complete until some made up geek league has been published to verify his imagined football knowledge superiority.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:11 pm

I don’t think we predicted we would win, just that our performances had been better than there’s on the whole.

It doesn’t take much football knowledge to predict Salford might be a tougher test than a side who’s just lost 4-0, but there’s lot much to fear on the underlying numbers. They’re also below us in the xG table (one place above Vale before today). Their away form is pretty average, although they’ve played a few less than most. Their overall form is only slightly better than ours over the month or so.

Oh no I’m a geek :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:28 am

Upper West wrote:I recall a match at Cambridge about 20 years ago when the pitch went white at HT. They came out with an orange ball.
It was warmer than it is today and snow soon disappeared.

Can you remember us playing Wycombe at home on a Tuesday night, the pitch was covered with snow & it snowed during the game too. Steve Claridge played for them. I think they stuffed us too. The conditions were awful.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:35 am

steiner wrote:Great result and performance... And Rangers won too.. Happy days!

Damn right. And both teams we beat had a Scott Brown playing for them too. :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:00 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Bloody told you we lacked pace today lol

absolutely fantastic result, well played mi bonnies

Any bargains at Wren?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:44 am

Spiritater wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Bloody told you we lacked pace today lol

absolutely fantastic result, well played mi bonnies

Any bargains at Wren?

Nope :roll: i had the match on my phone so wasn’t paying much attention, happy new year mi owd mate
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:49 am

Oldstag was that happy yesterday he had to phone me. :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:50 am

Spiritater wrote:Oldstag was that happy yesterday he had to phone me. :D

:lol: i know he phoned me after you said back to back home league wins needs celebrating

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:45 am

Yesterday, saw something unique for the last eighteen months as a Stags fan and for the Stagsnet community. And that is a wholly positive vibe regarding the game.

Many comments and after the match attitudes have, under the tenures of Dempster and Graham, have been akin to booing, double booing and abuse hurled at the players as they walk from the field of play. But yesterday it was different, a ray of sunshine, hope and the feeling that we are finally headed in the right direction.

Were I there, at the ground, in my much missed little blue plastic seat at the final whistle I would have stood and applauded. Would others?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:27 am

If I could've still felt my hands then certainly.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:04 pm

Was Maynard the last player to score a hat trick in a league game? Wasnt that a new year fixture too?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:12 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Yesterday, saw something unique for the last eighteen months as a Stags fan and for the Stagsnet community. And that is a wholly positive vibe regarding the game.

Many comments and after the match attitudes have, under the tenures of Dempster and Graham, have been akin to booing, double booing and abuse hurled at the players as they walk from the field of play. But yesterday it was different, a ray of sunshine, hope and the feeling that we are finally headed in the right direction.

Were I there, at the ground, in my much missed little blue plastic seat at the final whistle I would have stood and applauded. Would others?
It's a big yes from me !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:21 pm

I watched the Walsall v Carlisle game afterwards but later I really enjoyed that nice warm feeling you get reading through everybody's comments on Stagsnet after a good Stags win. I even cracked open my first bottle of real ale for over a year. It was a bottle of Rocking Rudolph that I've had in the garage since December 2019 so probably more toxic than covid.

Thanks for everybody's comments. I look forward to returning to the days of face to face post match analysis in the Sandy Pate Bar in 2021-2022.

I would certainly have got off my seat and clapped off all the subbed players particularly Jordan Bowery for his hat-trick; and Nigel Clough and the players at the end.

I think the Clough Factor may have increased our home crowds despite our poor start to the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:43 pm

The Clough effect starting to bear fruit. Its not his team but he is making it work.
Changing the midfield around , putting Maris in a central position seemed to free up Clarke, Charsley and Lapslie. I thought all four were superb and if we can keep them together and fit, we will be a real threat.
The back four looking more composed every game and Perch must start. His reading of the game and subsequent passing is 2 leagues above.
Bowery. Again Clough has worked wonders. Clough can't score the goals for him, so he's worked on his overall team play. Bowery has improved every game, confidence goes up and now he takes goal attempts like he means them. A real asset.
We are starting to look like a team that will win more than we lose.
Only areas of concern for me, is that I'm still unsure on the goalkeeper, particularly on crosses. He seems to elect to punch and you can see why as he rarely clean catches a cross.
We obviously need a real traditional no 9 goal-getter. We carry no threat with Reid down the middle of the park. ( Just imagine Watters there, although he's supposed to be off to the Championship)
I'm sure Clough has irons in the fire for this. He clearly doesn't fancy Cook for the role, and we don't know if Maynard is staying. If we sign one player this window, for me its a striker.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:52 pm

Update from xG computer.

We are still 9th in the xG league table (P21 W7 D9 L5 = 30 Points (+7 points). Only 4 points off the play offs! :) Our win over Port Vale was our best xG attacking performance of the season (3.4) and our second best defensive xG performance (0.4) after Tranmere Rovers(H) (0.2). 5 out of our 6 best attacking xG performances have come under Nigel Clough; and 6 out of our best 9 defensive performances.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 pm

Port Vale Ratings from Mike Baggaley of the Stoke Sentinel

PORT VALE

BROWN: Beaten at his near post for the first goal, although he had made a good save initially. Lucky to get away with a poor free kick that gifted possession to Bowery 4.5

SMITH: Started at right back then moved to centre half after Legge’s dismissal. Not convincing and gave away a penalty 4

BRISLEY: Well below the standard of his performance on his recall at Bradford 5

LEGGE: Can’t have any arguments for either yellow card. Both mistimed challenges 3.5

FITZPATRICK: Taken off at half time so Vale could attack through Montano. Mansfield did enjoy plenty of space down his flank before the break 4.5

JOYCE: Made a crucial sliding interception before the break but Vale were outplayed in midfield even with 11 men 5

BURGESS: Didn’t threaten much and gave away the penalty that Sinclair missed 4

WHITEHEAD: Part of a poor midfield before he was withdrawn at the break 4

AMOO: The winger lost his man for the first goal and didn’t offer much going forward. Taken off so Vale could have a defender on after Legge was sent off 4

RODNEY: Didn’t threaten much in the first half, and that was always going to be difficult with ten men after the break 4.5

HURST: Produced perhaps Vale’s best moment of the game when he beat two defenders on his way to setting up a chance. Taken off at half time but his performances have been some consolation in a poor run of results 5.5
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:45 pm

I thought it was entirely appropriate, given the 4-0 score at the time, to give the penalty to Tyrese, as it would have given him such a boost to get a goal.

When he missed you could see how distraught he was and how his senior team-mates tried to console him. Great team spirit in my book.

Onwards and upwards.

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:51 pm

This unfortunate tweet from Leon Legge yesterday morning :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://twitter.com/cursedefl/status/13 ... 32674?s=21
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Well Clough kept his squad together, and retained interest on those that can do better, change, change, change , dont build just keep changing and we start another game.
Missing OKeefe a key attacking weapon, Reid what does he do, lack of pace a concern, Perch will not be able to run up and down,, the slowest line up in years.
Why as Cooke not started, Slowest line up in England by a country mile, Dear oh dear Clarke scores in first minute, even so Reid adds nothing Reid looks lost.
Funny not long ago it was Bowery and Rawson in the firing line. To be honest i struggle with Reid and find it is him or Cook with Maynard being injured.
Cook plays every game but like Pope 90 minutes a bit much every game, and So a energetic Reid fills the gap,, I do know clough knows what he is doing mistakes he makes but not often.
Port vale were a challenge and to a man our lads stood tall, Stech had little to do but was instrumental in keeping a clean sheet, i thought this was a test of character and lessons were being learned. Sinclair won a penalty ,missed the goal completely,then gave a silly free kick away in a dangerous area. all a learning curve.
After yesterday the team beginning to show a team ethic, a player is a i. and their is no i in team
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:27 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Update from xG computer.

We are still 9th in the xG league table (P21 W7 D9 L5 = 30 Points (+7 points). Only 4 points off the play offs! :) Our win over Port Vale was our best xG attacking performance of the season (3.4) and our second best defensive xG performance (0.4) after Tranmere Rovers(H) (0.2). 5 out of our 6 best attacking xG performances have come under Nigel Clough; and 6 out of our best 9 defensive performances.

Yesterday’s xG includes the two penalties @ 0.8 each so from open play we scored 3 goals from an xG of 1.8 from the remaining 17 shots (4 on target). The Clarke goal (including Charsley’s initial shot) accounted for 0.5 of these points.

Despite the excellent result and performance we are still not producing many clear chances with lots of the shots being from around the edge or outside the penalty box which is why many of them are off target.

This sounds critical but it’s not meant to be, I’m just stating facts. I’m very happy that we are getting in the box and creating chances or making their defence make errors for cards and penalties.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:11 pm

halifaxstag wrote:This unfortunate tweet from Leon Legge yesterday morning :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://twitter.com/cursedefl/status/13 ... 32674?s=21

One Vale fan thinks that "Leon Legge's legs" have gone. He is 35. He thinks the same for Tom Pope (35) and Luke Joyce (33). He might have a point. I thought that because of our pitch Tom Pope might have started yesterday.

"This is mess of epic vale proportions. We have three players who are the spine of the team whose legs have gone and at any other club Legge, Joyce and Pope would be asked to retire . But as usual we can’t get rid as we have no one to replace them . Leon - love ya man but it's horrible to see a fine career end in front of your eyes. Joyce - you're being over run all the time and Tom, hate this, but you're nearly done mate . Gutted but legs have gone"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Update from xG computer.

Yesterday’s xG includes the two penalties @ 0.8 each so from open play we scored 3 goals from an xG of 1.8 from the remaining 17 shots (4 on target). The Clarke goal (including Charsley’s initial shot) accounted for 0.5 of these points.

Despite the excellent result and performance we are still not producing many clear chances with lots of the shots being from around the edge or outside the penalty box which is why many of them are off target.

This sounds critical but it’s not meant to be, I’m just stating facts. I’m very happy that we are getting in the box and creating chances or making their defence make errors for cards and penalties.

Good point Halifax.

The best attack in the league (Newport) average an xG of 1.77 per game, so that would have been average performance from them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:47 pm

Excellant this
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Seems like it's been a while since we've had our lads in there.

Good to see
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum