{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can and should football survive tier 4.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Well we have tier 4 restrictions preventing people from travelling in and out of much of the south of the country except for a very narrow set of circumstances. Elite sport is currently exempt from the restrictions but will this continue to be the case and should it?

I cannot see how sport can continue when these restrictions are so draconian in other occupations. Is it just money talking or are sportsmen immune from catching and spreading the virus in some mysterious and magical way.

If a halt is called what will happen in respect of promotion and relegation?. Should Southern based teams be allowed to travel to areas where the infection rate is currently low and if not how does the season get finished?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:06 pm

from https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ve-3074322

Portsmouth fear coronavirus outbreak is 'widespread' as senior players test positive
By Jordan Cross, Sunday, 20th December 2020

Mark Catlin admitted the Pompey coronavirus outbreak appears ‘widespread’ as further cases were confirmed.

And that looks set to plunge the Blues’ season into chaos with Boxing Day’s fixture with Swindon postponed and the possibility others could follow suit.

Two further players today tested positive for Covid-19 after Jack Whatmough yesterday did likewise, following the defender falling ill ahead of the Hull game.

The News understands the players in question are senior members of Kenny Jackett’s squad who would likely have been involved in the Swindon clash.

Pompey have suspended group training with the decision made to now test the entire squad after the latest developments.

Blues chief executive Mark Catlin explained there are now concerns about what those results can reveal, coming just hours after getting the green light to push forward with fixtures when players tested negative after coming into close contact with Whatmough.

Catlin underlined the well-being of those in and around the first-team set-up is of critical significance, with the club following the relevant guidelines issued by the EFL and government.

He said: 'As I said these things are moving quickly and situation is changing hourly.

‘It’s moving rapidly and unfortunately a couple of players reported not feeling well today.

‘We’ve had them tested and unfortunately they’ve come back positive.

‘So we’ve now taken the decision to test the whole squad.

'Obviously safety is paramount and EFL protocols deem that in the event of a positive test and people feeling unwell you need to isolate the people who have come into direct contact by their definition.

‘But it’s quite clear this is more widespread in line with the rest of society.

‘So we’ve taken the decision to totally err on the side of caution and test the whole squad.’

The news of the positive tests follows on just 48 hours from the euphoria of Pompey moving to the top of the League One table after victory at Hull.

The weekend has brought further outbreaks in the division, however, with six positive tests at Ipswich.

That follows on from similar problems at Sunderland, where the positive cases are now believed to be into double figures.

Peterborough have also seen an outbreak tear through their squad with Bristol Rovers calling off two games.

There were no plans for an emergency EFL meeting to discuss the way forward and the prospect of the season being suspended, but that now appears likely to change after the latest developments.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bros » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Southend infection rate 503 per 100k! Up by 100%on previous week which would seem to indicate that this new mutation is highly infectious. Lets hope they didn't bring it with them on Saturday. I know the research says that players are in close proximity to the opposition for only a short time in a game but with this new strain causing so many problems is it time to suspend play
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Philip » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:45 pm

Presumably Martin will not be able to leave Tier 4 to commentate?
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:12 pm

It's rife down here, apparently, and can't see sport continuing now given no-one is supposed to leave Tier 4 it seems . The NLS family is now locked down with a family member tested positive.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:19 pm

the rules for travelling from or in tier 4 are the same as during lockdown. You can travel for work where you cannot work from home. Similarly for staying in accommodation, where I always had to confirm I was working, and sometimes show proof.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yellafella » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Football should continue imo. The numbers of people involved are minuscule in relation to population sizes, for millions of people, being able to watch a game, place a bet or just talk about the werks games is a healthy diversion from the mundane and is probably warding off or reducing the mental health problems for some. Add to that the fact if all football is stopped (that would be the effect if it was stopped in tier 4 areas) SKY would pull the plug on the funding to PL clubs, who in turn would do the same with the money they are releasing to the lower leagues.
yellafella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:45 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:It's rife down here, apparently, and can't see sport continuing now given no-one is supposed to leave Tier 4 it seems . The NLS family is now locked down with a family member tested positive.

I hope the family member keeps well NLS, and other family members don't succumb to the virus.

I have a daughter with a family, living in Essex. The new Covid 19 strain is a concern.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:It's rife down here, apparently, and can't see sport continuing now given no-one is supposed to leave Tier 4 it seems . The NLS family is now locked down with a family member tested positive.

I hope the family member keeps well NLS, and other family members don't succumb to the virus.

I have a daughter with a family, living in Essex. The new Covid 19 strain is a concern.

Thank you and hope you and your family keep well.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:03 pm

It seems on the map it's travelling from Dover up the M1, heading to the midlands next.
I don't know what they've learned in France but all manual handed freight is banned for 48 hours.

Covid coming to a distribution centre near you soon.

Stay safe everyone.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:08 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Thank you and hope you and your family keep well.

Cheers NLS.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jamie » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:54 am

Personally I think January will see another national lockdown as the variant will start to move round the UK and also the Christmas bubble spike that is bound to happen.

If/ when that happens football and other elite sport should probably stop too for a short while.

Next few months are going to be some of the worst yet for it spreading and for restrictions. But at least by March / April so many over 65s will have been vaccinated, the wider risk to hospitals and death will be massively reduced.

The average death age for Covid in the UK is 82. When you consider you'd need ten 85 yr olds to die of Covid and just one 52 year old, to get that average, it just makes the whole thing a bit of a joke and certainly an eye opener.

Given hospitalizations and deaths are mostly older people. They really should be giving more targeted advice around that. Forget trying to fine students who have a party, or making such a fuss about bubble sizes and everything else. They need to get the message firmly out to older people that they should avoid younger people literally like the plague until they've been vaccinated and also that non OAPs should avoid the older generations too, providing only critical care as required.

To destroy a whole nations economy, mental health etc etc when you could just isolate the vulnerable is the mistake thst will haunt this country for decades to come, long after those we're trying to protect are gone anyway.

I get we need to keep hospitals running and save lives but as soon as those numbers drop due to the vaccine roll out they'd better open everything back up and let us crack on or there will be serious questions need answering.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:17 am

Jamie wrote:Personally I think January will see another national lockdown as the variant will start to move round the UK and also the Christmas bubble spike that is bound to happen.

If/ when that happens football and other elite sport should probably stop too for a short while.

Next few months are going to be some of the worst yet for it spreading and for restrictions. But at least by March / April so many over 65s will have been vaccinated, the wider risk to hospitals and death will be massively reduced.

The average death age for Covid in the UK is 82. When you consider you'd need ten 85 yr olds to die of Covid and just one 52 year old, to get that average, it just makes the whole thing a bit of a joke and certainly an eye opener.

Given hospitalizations and deaths are mostly older people. They really should be giving more targeted advice around that. Forget trying to fine students who have a party, or making such a fuss about bubble sizes and everything else. They need to get the message firmly out to older people that they should avoid younger people literally like the plague until they've been vaccinated and also that non OAPs should avoid the older generations too, providing only critical care as required.

To destroy a whole nations economy, mental health etc etc when you could just isolate the vulnerable is the mistake thst will haunt this country for decades to come, long after those we're trying to protect are gone anyway.

I get we need to keep hospitals running and save lives but as soon as those numbers drop due to the vaccine roll out they'd better open everything back up and let us crack on or there will be serious questions need answering.

The slight snag is that a 14 year old catches the virus at school and doesn't notice, then passes it on to everyone at home. Mum and Dad pass it on to their elderly parents, as they aren't aware either. Brother and sister take it to the next school, and so it goes on. The elderly can't all avoid everyone all the time. Many are classed as "elderly and vulnerable" but are still at work.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:35 am

My source (qualified doctor) says the new strain is already in Nottinghamshire and we saw a surge in the rate last week. Be careful out there.

Football is secondary to the other issues, I’m thinking more about whether we’ll have enough food in 2 weeks time rather than if the match will be on. Hopefully they can find a resolution.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby west country stag » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Total lockdown thro the UK needed .
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:23 pm

west country stag wrote:Total lockdown thro the UK needed .

not again... they don't work they just delay the inevitable while destroying business and peoples mental health.

Roll out the vaccine, protect the vulnerable get back to normal.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

not again... they don't work they just delay the inevitable while destroying business and peoples mental health.

I think you will find that the vaccine is being rolled out as fast as they can get it. The UK has ordered 40m doses but it does not all arrive at once, other countries, including the USA, have ordered millions of doses too.

You are right re lockdown, the fallout re mental health and businesses is awful but it would be worse if the NHS were overrun, hence the reason to lockdown and delay the spread, should it happen.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:the rules for travelling from or in tier 4 are the same as during lockdown. You can travel for work where you cannot work from home. Similarly for staying in accommodation, where I always had to confirm I was working, and sometimes show proof.

Its not technically work though is it as you do it unpaid, for free...
I'd say its more like a hobby...
Therefore you wouldn't see say Random Hero travelling into a tier 4 area to climb a hill.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Even in tier one Cornwall ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:08 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

I think you will find that the vaccine is being rolled out as fast as they can get it. The UK has ordered 40m doses but it does not all arrive at once, other countries, including the USA, have ordered millions of doses too.

You are right re lockdown, the fallout re mental health and businesses is awful but it would be worse if the NHS were overrun, hence the reason to lockdown and delay the spread, should it happen.

The NHS isn't even close to being over run... we've got the nightingale hospitals not being used.

Still think its crazy when above 99% survive and the average age of death is the same as the uk average anyway.

Shame the track & trace system is a shambles, the app doesn't even work anymore.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:10 pm

The nightingale hospitals can’t be used as we have no staff to run them, unless you take staff from hospitals that are already under staffed.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:22 pm

part time pete wrote:The nightingale hospitals can’t be used as we have no staff to run them, unless you take staff from hospitals that are already under staffed.

Think it all comes down to.. why hasn't there been much increase in NHS funding? Not really seen it mentioned or challenged anywhere. Yet everyone will still vote for these
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Funny how Europe blocks the uk and are getting the vaccine Sunday,
I'm sure all travel restrictions will be lifted in time for champions league football.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Could we have some clear, definite and directed leadership?

Currently we have a serial bumbler at the helm enriching his parliamentary colleagues (both sides of the house) whilst life changing decisions are made after parliament has broken up for Christmas and an opposition so impotent that they abstained at the last debate.

If I thought that a change in leadership would rectify this country I would be looking for the next Guy Fawkes, but sadly it won’t.

Ministers, do your job and administer this country as you should through diligent planning, evidence gathering and thought. A daily address of chopping and changing is not what the people of Britain deserve more expect.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum