{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January transfer window news

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

January transfer window news

Postby wardy12345 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:09 am

Any ideas who might be joining in January
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Re: January transfer window news

Postby Jimstag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:28 am

Not heard of any rumours but last night made it clear to see what we are lacking. I actually listened to the Carlisle commentary, no criticism of Martin and Dean I just like to hear what they think of us. I usually turn off if they are massively biased.

Anyway they said something simple that was spot on. Carlisle played it forward with the belief that they could create something, we played it forward in the hope that something would drop.

Coughlan removed any flair and brought in workhorses, nothing against them as they are required but when you haven’t got a Johnson Clarke Harris up top (like he had at Brizzle) where are the goals coming from?
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am

Jimstag wrote:Not heard of any rumours but last night made it clear to see what we are lacking. I actually listened to the Carlisle commentary, no criticism of Martin and Dean I just like to hear what they think of us. I usually turn off if they are massively biased.

Anyway they said something simple that was spot on. Carlisle played it forward with the belief that they could create something, we played it forward in the hope that something would drop.

Coughlan removed any flair and brought in workhorses, nothing against them as they are required but when you haven’t got a Johnson Clarke Harris up top (like he had at Brizzle) where are the goals coming from?

Agreed, we need a couple of wingers and a striker in my opinion, need some pace in this team. Coughlan brought in players to play a 352 and thats it. The 2 main concerns of pre season ie no wingers and our strikers are very similar has been prominent all season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 am

Think we need to sign Moses, that or rebuild the Berlin Wall in front of the goal.
18 games and 16 points show that we are in the poo. Losses to Harrogate, Bradford, and Barrow and draws with Grimsby and Stevenage, all teams in the relegation scrap, and we have Scunny and Southend to come. At the moment what worries me is that we cant beat the teams around us, it's alright beating Forest Green and Cambridge and even Sunderland, but we have to beat every team in the bottom half or we are going to find ourselves bottom 2 very quickly.
Clough will have contacts and hopefully can get a couple of loans in in the areas we need it, and maybe loan a couple out?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:35 pm

spotted some rumour on twatter ref Benning to Wimbledon & the Shrews looking at Charsley
again unsupported
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Benning will be another player that will go off and flourish elsewhere but unfortunately he's gone stale here. He should be sold in Jan if there's interest.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby 1970Stag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:58 pm

If we can get another left back in then yes, but they're not easy to find!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Bring back Daly Thompson for that much-needed pace
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:36 pm

1970Stag wrote:If we can get another left back in then yes, but they're not easy to find!

Left sided players seem hard to come by, could this be why we extended Mc's contract?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:39 pm

In his most recent interview Post Carlisle game, our Nige suggested we were lacking more in the service for the forwards rather than the actual forwards themselves failing to deliver... Do we think he’s after midfielders/wingers over strikers as it stands?
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:03 pm

1970Stag wrote:If we can get another left back in then yes, but they're not easy to find!

Better get mi boots on then
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:38 pm

Sammythestag wrote:In his most recent interview Post Carlisle game, our Nige suggested we were lacking more in the service for the forwards rather than the actual forwards themselves failing to deliver... Do we think he’s after midfielders/wingers over strikers as it stands?

Well from a numbers point of view we have 4 forwards (this is just numbers not ability). We have 3 right backs (1 is long term injured) we have 2 right wingers. We have 4 Central defenders (we also have Perch whis both RB and CB and not included in the counts or it will inflate the numbers). We have 1 left back. We have 4 Central midfielders and we have 1 left winger.

Not included is Jason Law, who has only really played LWB for us, not sure what position he played for reserves. 2 strikers in Knowles and Caine, I think both are on loan but unsure about Caine. We have another central midfielder in Alistair Smith who is out of loan.

Glaring issue is down our left. That's from a numbers perspective. Another concern is we have 3 right backs (Riley is long term injured and not included in that number) and our winger is the preferred option. We've 2 right wingers and the central midfielder is the preferred option. We've 4 strikers available and the one least likely to score is playing nearly every second of every game.

Clough said everyone would get a chance to show what they can do. Maybe he's not giving players a chance in the hope they ask to leave in January freeing up wages. Risky move, I mean who would want a player that can't even get into a struggling league 2 side?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Caine is not out on loan. He captained the youth team on Thursday (see my report) and played well. It's unrealistic to expect him to become a regular in the first team at this stage though I think.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:08 am

I'd forgot about Joshua Scott, he was/is on loan at Kettering(I think it's them). That's who is was confusing Caine with for the loan. Another forward. I'm listing players who have made at least 1 first team appearance.

There's Aiden Walker at centre half too. Forgot about him.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:49 am

wardy12345 wrote:Any ideas who might be joining in January

PM Private Dunno he'll know ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Hope hes got a couple lined up already, Remember when Paul Cox signed 2 on New years day and played them both. Think it may of been against Tamworth, Arman Verma and I cant remember the other one?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 pm

lifestags wrote:Hope hes got a couple lined up already, Remember when Paul Cox signed 2 on New years day and played them both. Think it may of been against Tamworth, Arman Verma and I cant remember the other one?

Away at York I think it was, but can’t remember the other lad!

Evans had them lined up in 16/17 and we signed Whiteman, Byrom, Arquinn, Kean on Jan 1st and all went straight in to the starting 11 for the game away at Blackpool the day after which we won 1-0. Would be nice to have one or two in for Port Vale at home this year, we need them as soon as we can!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:48 pm

If he is going to sign someone early, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are training with us already. That would of course be dependent on them not being in the plans of their current team. Stech had been training with us for at least 2 weeks before he was announced as a signing so there is a precedent for it.

It would also get the player up to speed and let him start in the team immediately he signs.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:08 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
lifestags wrote:Hope hes got a couple lined up already, Remember when Paul Cox signed 2 on New years day and played them both. Think it may of been against Tamworth, Arman Verma and I cant remember the other one?

Evans had them lined up in 16/17 and we signed Whiteman, Byrom, Arquinn, Kean on Jan 1st and all went straight in to the starting 11 for the game away at Blackpool the day after which we won 1-0. Would be nice to have one or two in for Port Vale at home this year, we need them as soon as we can!

Looking into it and Marcus Kelly was his name, little blonde lad, winger I think.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:14 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

I can’t remember the year but I can remember going to York on New Year’s Day and Gary Roberts playing in midfield think that was his debut?

He was a lad with real ability but had issues off the field that meant he never achieved what he should have done.

I remember thinking that day despite him not looking match fit he had real ability. I think he finished the season then went off abroad to play?
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Kenwood wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

I can’t remember the year but I can remember going to York on New Year’s Day and Gary Roberts playing in midfield think that was his debut?

He was a lad with real ability but had issues off the field that meant he never achieved what he should have done.

I remember thinking that day despite him not looking match fit he had real ability. I think he finished the season then went off abroad to play?

He was a cracking player on his day Roberts was and had the ability to play in the football league. Problem was he was a complete liability off the field.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Jayden Mitchell-Lawson been mentioned to me, good midfielder.... but young and not the experience we may need.

Though I would absolutely take Louie Sibley
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:If he is going to sign someone early, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are training with us already. That would of course be dependent on them not being in the plans of their current team. Stech had been training with us for at least 2 weeks before he was announced as a signing so there is a precedent for it.

It would also get the player up to speed and let him start in the team immediately he signs.

I'll take t'bins n go for a gander tomorrow
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:41 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Kenwood wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

He was a cracking player on his day Roberts was and had the ability to play in the football league. Problem was he was a complete liability off the field.

He has a podcast out with Undr the cosh, it's well worth a listen. Sounds like a troubled bloke but he has some great stories to tell. Think he liked the ale and marching powder a bit too much, he could've gone on to big things.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:27 pm

i don't think the Jan window is good for signing long term players.

I would be inclined to try and ship a few out and bring in some short term or loan players with a view to making it permanent in the summer.

We need players who will keep us up this season and they are a different style of player to ones who could land us promotion next year.

Focus on the job on hand, and do your real business in the summer
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum