{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:19 pm

fox in the box wrote:
Big yella wrote:
fox in the box wrote:I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

The topic should at least be up for discussion. Most people on here supporting the current commentators are simply trying to shut down the debate by giving praise to them which is irrelevant to the paying viewer, such as that they are 'loyal' or 'just volunteers' etc. I'm sure they are loyal and i'm thankful for their contribution, but when it comes to commentating on a football match that people are paying to watch none of those qualities are relevant

I havent seen anyone defend the co commentator's actual ability as a commentator yet, which is telling really

And you wont get many that are likely too, for Dean is truly awful in the role, He brings absolutely nothing to the experience of watching the game. No tactical knowledge, no inside insight, no style, nothing other than tired 80's/90's clichés.

There are plenty of other people who would do a much better job, Craig Priest has been mentioned. Ask the club if an injured, suspended, not selected player would be available.

I don't hold much water with his 'Tangerine Trapezoid' theories, but, I think MTFCMussings would do a decent job. I don't want someone I 100% agree with all the time, however, I do want someone who I know has a view and a commitment behind that view, someone who has put some thought into the game, not bland nothingness.

Craig Priest is good at what he does. Theres also Liam Kent though I think he works for Radio Forest now - however theres other Stags fans who go on their 'Terrace' show too who could be asked. MTFCMusings provides great insight on twitter with his stats etc too. Plus theres those lads who do the pre match podcasts on facebook who provide good discussion

I'm not saying get rid of Dean for every game - just a fresh voice, different perspective and unique insight now and again is all I ask

Thanks for the kind words, I can’t say they were expected Big Yella from some of our previous conversations on this forum but much appreciated.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
Big yella wrote:
fox in the box wrote:I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

The topic should at least be up for discussion. Most people on here supporting the current commentators are simply trying to shut down the debate by giving praise to them which is irrelevant to the paying viewer, such as that they are 'loyal' or 'just volunteers' etc. I'm sure they are loyal and i'm thankful for their contribution, but when it comes to commentating on a football match that people are paying to watch none of those qualities are relevant

I havent seen anyone defend the co commentator's actual ability as a commentator yet, which is telling really

And you wont get many that are likely too, for Dean is truly awful in the role, He brings absolutely nothing to the experience of watching the game. No tactical knowledge, no inside insight, no style, nothing other than tired 80's/90's clichés.

There are plenty of other people who would do a much better job, Craig Priest has been mentioned. Ask the club if an injured, suspended, not selected player would be available.

I don't hold much water with his 'Tangerine Trapezoid' theories, but, I think MTFCMussings would do a decent job. I don't want someone I 100% agree with all the time, however, I do want someone who I know has a view and a commitment behind that view, someone who has put some thought into the game, not bland nothingness.

Craig Priest is good at what he does. Theres also Liam Kent though I think he works for Radio Forest now - however theres other Stags fans who go on their 'Terrace' show too who could be asked. MTFCMusings provides great insight on twitter with his stats etc too. Plus theres those lads who do the pre match podcasts on facebook who provide good discussion

I'm not saying get rid of Dean for every game - just a fresh voice, different perspective and unique insight now and again is all I ask

Thanks for the kind words, I can’t say they were expected Big Yella from some of our previous conversations on this forum but much appreciated.

As I said, I don’t have to have a co commentator I 100% agree with, just someone with an opinion. In fact sometimes a polar few makes you watch and concentrate more to try and see what is being put forward, but blandness just bores the pants off me.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:32 pm

I cannot believe this thread has run to 9 pages. If you don't like the commentary turn the sound down or listen to the opposition commentary. They put a lot of time and money to give us words to go with the pictures. Ignore the criticism guys and carry on
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:02 pm

:lol: May be skating on thin ice here

How about changing Martin for Torvill :lol:

Better get my skates on i feel Martin coming after me :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:12 pm

fox in the box wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
broomo wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

I defended it.

You've been here for about 5 minutes pal and racked up almost the same amount of posts as i have since 2013

Moans about not having a discussion on a message board, someone else makes a good point then you post this :lol:

*makes a good point in your opinion. The bloke has had 70 posts on here in about 2 weeks and has fell out with half the messageboard in that time but if you want to chum up to him be my guest. He's probably listened to Dean just 3 times on commentary so i'm not sure he has the knowledge of a long term paying customer such as myself but there ya go

What I will say though is, you ignore the legitimate concerns and feedback of your paying customers at your peril. They can quite easily go elsewhere (think money going to IPTV providers than to the club)

Anyway back in my box I go. Now i remember why I don't bother with here - plenty of others feel the same judging by that other post on hijacking threads

Having never used an illegal stream I am no expert on them, but as far as I was aware they just stream whatever is being broadcast elsewhere.
Therefore, what would you gain by doing that and listening to the same commentary, apart from defrauding the club you support ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:24 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::lol: May be skating on thin ice here

I keep hearing 'Papa, papaah, papa, papaah, papa-paaah, papa, papaah, papa, papaaaah, pa!' ;)
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby manssmooth » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:29 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:

I keep hearing 'Papa, papaah, papa, papaah, papa-paaah, papa, papaah, papa, papaaaah, pa!' ;)

Now those were the days! :D
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby groundhoppingstag » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:

I think you are getting yourself into a Ravel here.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:09 pm

manssmooth wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:

Now those were the days! :D

lip smacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cooltalking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing, Pepsi....
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:05 am

SidneyOttewell wrote:

Jimmy Webb's finest song from 1968 which Richard Harris delivers brilliantly. 7m 26s long. Absolutely insane but magnificent. Have a listen from around 4m 40s.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:34 am

SidneyOttewell wrote:

Papa oom mow mow by the Sharonettes ? Great Northern soul song . Keep the Faith 8-)
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:16 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:

That reminds me of the old Pearl and Dean adverts at the old ABC. :D
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Another thread hijacked.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Another thread hijacked.....
You can have this thread back if you transfer 1.50 bitcoin to account 6XG10241K541
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:57 pm

scotsstag wrote:That reminds me of the old Pearl and Dean adverts at the old ABC. :D

Have a listen to MacArthur Park above (around 4m 40s onwards). Does it bring back any memories?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:

Jimmy Webb's finest song from 1968 which Richard Harris delivers brilliantly. 7m 26s long. Absolutely insane but magnificent. Have a listen from around 4m 40s.

Prefer Donna Summer's version, myself! Jimmy Webb should've sued....'Asteroid' was written year after.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chris M » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 pm

I think Martin and Dean do a great job all things considered. Not that long ago in Blue Square days that Martin's commentary was the only coverage we had at all, when Radio Florest and 102.3 pulled the plug.

Just been watching the Tranmere and Brackley circus on BBC2. A deserted stadium but with dubbed on singing and chanting making it sound like a capacity crowd. Two commentators repeating exactly what you have just seen happen. An army of safety stewards protecting cardboard cut out fans, from what I gave no idea?

Ignore the haters Martin and Dean. You don't realise what we have until it is gone.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:46 pm

Watching the tranmere game too, Khan playing ok.
Lady commentator ok, wonder if martins wife would like a try?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
scotsstag wrote:That reminds me of the old Pearl and Dean adverts at the old ABC. :D

Have a listen to MacArthur Park above (around 4m 40s onwards). Does it bring back any memories?

:thumbup: :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:26 pm

You should listen to the Cheltenham and crew commentators sounds like they are commentating on horse racing
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:07 pm

This weekend I've listened to the commentators from BBC Radio Stoke, BBC Radio London, BBC Radio Essex, Bolton FM etc and they have all made mistakes identifying home and away players. The commentator on TV did the same today. I think Martin is easily as good as the others. The commentators also do not always have a good position. They can sometimes be at the top of the stand and a long way from the pitch and do not have a screen to look at.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:This weekend I've listened to the commentators from BBC Radio Stoke, BBC Radio London, BBC Radio Essex, Bolton FM etc and they have all made mistakes identifying home and away players. The commentator on TV did the same today. I think Martin is easily as good as the others. The commentators also do not always have a good position. They can sometimes be at the top of the stand and a long way from the pitch and do not have a screen to look at.

Thought the BBC commentator today for our game was professional but very boring and straightforward.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:15 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:This weekend I've listened to the commentators from BBC Radio Stoke, BBC Radio London, BBC Radio Essex, Bolton FM etc and they have all made mistakes identifying home and away players. The commentator on TV did the same today. I think Martin is easily as good as the others. The commentators also do not always have a good position. They can sometimes be at the top of the stand and a long way from the pitch and do not have a screen to look at.

Thought the BBC commentator today for our game was professional but very boring and straightforward.

Yep, you could tell he wasn't a supporter, but he was professional. Give me Dean Martin every day of the week, after all, everybody loves somebody (one for the kids :lol: )
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:23 pm

It wasn’t commentary to me, it was more like somebody commenting on a game they were at, it was soulless and boring IMO
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 pm

northern stag wrote:It wasn’t commentary to me, it was more like somebody commenting on a game they were at, it was soulless and boring IMO

Agree. He added nothing to the spectacle
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum