{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 pm

FT: Crawley Town 0 Carlisle United 3
An excellent away win for Carlisle United as Crawley Town had not lost at home since 23rd November 2019 (14 games). However Carlisle are Crawley’s bogey team as they have won 11 of the 19 league games against them.

Rhys Bennett had given Carlisle a half time lead when he was on hand to follow up Gime Toure’s shot from the edge of the area in the 43rd minute and tap it in at the second attempt. Carlisle were then very good in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. Right back, George Tanner, dribbled into the area past Jake Hassenthaler and his cross was tucked away at the near post by Josh Kayode. David Sesay (on for Archie Davies) then headed Aaron Hayden’s header off the line from a corner. In the 62nd minute, Josh Kayode’s long throw caused chaos in the Crawley area and the ball fell to Lewis Alessandra on the left and he smashed it back across goal for Aaron Hayden to poke it in and make it 3-0. A goal each for both Carlisle centre halfs. Midfielder, Jon Mellish headed wide from a corner. He has been in a purple patch with 7 goals from midfield. David Sesay made another great block to stop sub Omari Patrick scoring but then Patrick went on a great run down the centre of the pitch. Patrick skipped past several Crawley players and was running through on goal but Sesay chopped him down and was sent off. Carlisle had 23 attempts on goal and 11 were on target. Crawley had 6 attempts with none on target.

It will be difficult for the Carlisle manager, Chris Beech, to make changes but you would think that a front free of Josh Kayode in the centre with Gime Toure on the left and Omari Patrick on the right would be a handful for most defences. Lewis Alessandra is starting up front at the moment though and he did play well today.

Carlisle MOM: Josh Kayode and George Tanner
Crawley MOM: Glenn Morris
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 am

Ian Holloway post Tranmere 5-0 Grimsby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08z5x1d
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby london amber stag » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Ian Holloway post Tranmere 5-0 Grimsby

Entertaining listen that was, he is losing the plot!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm

london amber stag wrote:

He lost it ages ago
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 pm

21/11/20: Newport County 1 Port Vale 0
A terrible week for Port Vale as they were 3-2 up with ten men in the 92nd minute at home against Tranmere Rovers last Saturday and then ended up losing 4-3 with Kieron Morris scoring a screamer with the last kick of the match. They then got mugged 1-0 at home by Scunthorpe having had 70% possession and Scunthorpe scoring with one of their two shots on goal. It was also another worldie by Abu Eisa. They then played well yesterday against Newport but had Leon Legge sent off in the 68th minute. It looked like they had hung on for a point until the 96th minute when a Matty Dolan corner fell to the 41 year old sub Kevin Ellison at the near post and he smashed it in with the last kick of the game again. Heartbreak for Vale.

I decided to watch this game instead of Leyton Orient v Harrogate as I had also watched the two previous Port Vale games and I fancied another look at league leaders Newport. It was a very open first half with Newport dominating the first 10 minutes before Port Vale took over for the next 25 minutes and Newport then coming back just before half time. Newport’s pitch is starting to get heavy again and is cutting up which does not suit their new passing style of football. Three rugby teams also play on the pitch which does not help.

Scott Twine had a free kick saved early on by Scott Brown and Brown then made another save from Brandon Cooper. The 35 year old Vale keeper is still one of the best keepers in League 2. His opposite number, Nick Townsend, then had to make a save from David Worrall as a Mitch Clark long throw found its way to the far post. Nathan Smith played a great ball through to Worrall who laid it off to Tom Conlon whose well struck shot was saved again by Townsend. Mark Cullen then headed a Worrall cross from the left over the bar. The dangerous Worrall literally had his shirt ripped off his back by Brandon Cooper and had to wear a spare shirt which looked three sizes to big for him.

Newport’s full backs, Liam Shephard and Ryan Haynes push up well and Jamie Proctor stabbed wide from a Haynes cross and Liam Shephard’s shot was tipped over the bar by Scott Brown. Great play between Shepherd and Jamie Devitt then saw Shephard’s shot touched onto the post by Brown who was Vale’s MOM. Shephard then shot wide again just before half time.

Port Vale had to make a change at half time and Tom Conlon was replaced by left back, David Fitzpatrick, with Christian Montano pushing into midfield. Newport pushed forward in the 2nd half with Shephard once again bombing forward from right wing back. It was even stevens though until Leon Legge was sent off for a second yellow in the 68th minute. Vale sat in with two banks of four and it became defence v attack for the rest of the game. Vale were certainly on the ropes as Amond and Cooper headed wide from the numerous crosses and corners Newport were putting in. It looked like Vale had hung on for a point though until the veteran Ellison popped up with his 96th minute last kick winner from Dolan’s corner to make it 7 home wins on the trot for Newport. I'm sure this is what Mike Flynn signed him for.

Newport MOM: Liam Shephard, Josh Sheehan and Matty Dolan (Jamie Devitt played well 1st half)
Port Vale MOM: Scott Brown, Nathan Smith and David Worrall.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:17 pm

Ellison post-match reaction
“I said to him ‘you’ve given me six minutes, but imagine what I could do if you gave me a bit more!’, said Ellison.
https://www.dai-sport.com/kevin-ellison ... nty-flynn/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Ellison post-match reaction
“I said to him ‘you’ve given me six minutes, but imagine what I could do if you gave me a bit more!’, said Ellison.
https://www.dai-sport.com/kevin-ellison ... nty-flynn/

Do they still do Manager of the Month ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Kevin Ellison is also Newport's mental health ambassador.

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... mbassador/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 pm

london amber stag wrote:

You can watch the video version here

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2 ... re-rovers/

I think John Tondeur from BBC Radio Humberside is one of the most negative BBC local radio commentators in the country. He's been doing the job for 35 years and he has this very world weary air which gives the impression that Grimsby are complete raspberries even if they are playing well. He's not a good commentator to listen to. I think it's time for him to retire. He seems to enjoy himself the most after Grimsby have been hammered. He was the guy who eventually provoked Michael Jolley into saying f*ck 58 times and which got him the sack.

Saying that, Ian Holloway's answers were bizarre. It was incredible that he was talking about culling his squad and player departures before the game. It's not the best way to motivate your players before a match. He blamed his scout for getting the Tranmere formation wrong and said you cannot watch games because of Covid (iFollow?). He is now bringing in his own scout, Graham Bird, with whom he has worked at Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle and QPR and who found Ashley Barnes.

Holloway is being criticised for his poor recruitment but to be fair he was not helped by the fact that all players who signed had to agree to a 25% Covid 19 pay reduction until crowds were allowed back in the stadium. He has signed around 13 players and Grimsby fans are saying that at least half of them are not good enough. He has signed 7 young loan players but Holloway was complaining that he can only play 5 of them. He also admitted that one player he signed was not fit enough, Bilel Mohsni. He has also accused Sean Scannell of not being fit enough. He announced that Mohsni had been released* along with Ludwig Ohman but then said he had to help him find another club. There were also rumours that some Grimsby players would be put on furlough.

If I were Ollie's agent or lawyer then I would be advising him not to sell his house and buy £100,000 of shares in Grimsby which he is proposing to do.

* = Mohsni has tweeted to say he has not been released. Replying to the report of his departure, Mohsni said: “I have not left Grimsby Town FC, I am still contracted and feeling great and fit. I get on with my team mates very well so there is no issue whatsoever.”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... ay-4726545

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... rs-4729299
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 pm

More insane but entertaining ramblings from Ollie

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2 ... 24-nov-20/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:13 am

and to think some people wanted him here.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:25 am

James wrote:and to think some people wanted him here.

At one point it was more than some.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:37 am

It was always a big ask for Ollie to not offer contracts to the likes of Charles Vernam, Elliott Whitehouse, Billy Clarke etc because Grimsby could not afford to do so during the pandemic and then sign 7 young loan players late on and hope for any consistency. They played well away at Cheltenham and Orient. I like Oduru Edwards (Bristol City) and Owen Tudor (West Brom). Danny Preston has done ok at left back (Forest). You know you are struggling though if you lose players like Charles Vernam to Burton Albion; and Elliott Whitehouse has really gone to Forest Green just to be a squad player.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am

Im still confused why he went to a poor grimsby side that has no money when he had decent offers at good good clubs higher up.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:53 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Im still confused why he went to a poor grimsby side that has no money when he had decent offers at good good clubs higher up.

He's partial to a large Cod?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Rob wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

He's partial to a large Cod?

:lol:

Didn't he get shares or something?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:48 pm

See my post above.

"If I were Ollie's agent or lawyer then I would be advising him not to sell his house and buy £100,000 of shares in Grimsby which he is proposing to do."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:52 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:See my post above.

"If I were Ollie's agent or lawyer then I would be advising him not to sell his house and buy £100,000 of shares in Grimsby which he is proposing to do."

Their training ground reminds me of the pitches at Rolls Royce... crap and enough to put anyone off going there as a pro.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:17 pm

24/11/20: Tranmere Rovers 1 Carlisle United 0 (HT: 0-0)

I watched this game after the Stags game. It was the Master v the Apprentice as Chris Beech had worked with Keith Hill at Rochdale for 6 years. It was a very tight game which was settled by a brilliant ball from veteran centre half, Peter Clarke, to Corey Blackett-Taylor on the left who cut inside George Tanner and fired into the far corner. Carlisle huffed and puffed but did not create any chances until the lively Omari Patrick came on as a sub and forced Scott Davies into a save in the 89th minute.

Rhys Bennett was playing at centre half for Carlisle and Otis Khan was playing in a deeper midfield role than normal for Tranmere. Otis probably had his best game on Saturday when Tranmere beat Grimsby 5-0 since Walsall away last season. He was involved in the build up for the first goal and scored the fourth goal from the edge of the area. He now needs to do this on a regular basis which was his main problem for the Stags. It took him 18 months to score his next goal for the Stags after scoring two on his debut against Newport in August 2017.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:18 pm

HT: Port Vale 1 Leyton Orient 2
The pressure is on for John Askey as Vale have lost four games on the trot and are 2-1 down at half time. Vale made a great start and in the 8th minute Leon Legge beat Daniel Happe in the air at the far post to head in a David Worrall corner. However Leyton Orient equalised 3 minutes later when James Brophy won a corner on the left which was cleared but the ball came to Louis Dennis on the right hand side of the area and he curled in a lovely cross to Danny Johnson who got in behind Luke Joyce to head into the roof of the net at the near post.

David Amoo had made a good run forward for Vale and had a shot saved at the near post but he had to go off injured in the 24th minute. Orient then took the lead when a Louis Dennis shot hit a player and fell nicely to Conor Wilkinson in the area whose shot was blocked by Nathan Smith. Smith's clearance then hit David Fitzpatrick on the back and bounced back over Scott Brown's head towards goal. Leon Legge rushed back and hooked it off the line but it may have hit Brown before landing nicely for Conor Wilkinson to hammer it home for 1-2 to Orient. A comedy of errors for the Vale defence. James Brophy's cross then hit Conor Wilkinson and fell nicely to Danny Johnson who should have made it 1-3 but he shot wide. Christian Montano went on a great run just before half time beating several players on the left before shooting terribly wide.

Orient have certainly had a bit of luck with the run of the ball.

It's all "Askey Out" on Vale social media.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:39 pm

FT: Port Vale 2 Leyton Orient 3
Port Vale battered Orient in the 2nd half. They came out firing and won 7 corners in the first 11 minutes. Leon Legge managed to get on the end of another David Worrall corner but headed wide. Devante Rodney also turned and shot wide right in the centre of the goal. He should have scored. It summed up his afternoon. He had several other shots and headers blocked. He could easily have had a couple of goals. The Port vale commentators in a previous game mentioned that he had a 3 year contract. Joe Widdowson had to make a couple of last ditch challenges to stop Christian Montano and Niall Rodney but he timed them well.

Port Vale threw on forwards Tom Pope and Mark Cullen and took off a defensive midfield player and a left back. Christian Montano dropped into the left back position and on the restart after Pope had come on picked up the ball just over the halfway line, skipped past Ruel Sotiriou and smashed a 25 yard shot into the corner of the net. It was a well deserved equaliser and it looked like Vale would go and win the game. Tom Conlon and Devante Rodney had good shots at goal but both managed to hit their own man, Mark Cullen. Danny Johnson then won Orient a corner on the right after a rare O's attack in the 86th minute. The corner was cleared but knocked back in by Josh Wright. It fell to Josh Coulson on the left of the area and he curled a cross to James Brophy at the far post who managed to just squeeze his shot past Scott Brown. 2-3. Vale went for it again and Jobi McAnuff poked a ball away that looked like it was going to fall to Cullen for a tap in but they ended up losing their fifth consecutive game.

It was Orient's fourth league win on the trot and only their third win at Vale Park. They move into the play off places.

Port Vale MOM: Christian Montano and David Worrall
Orient MOM: James Brophy, Danny Johnson and Louis Dennis (first half)

Will John Askey survive?
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Tomlinson just come on for Chorley who are winning at Peterborough 2-1
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 pm

We're in flipping trouble make no mistake.

Scunthorpe are beating the ugly 1 dimensional Harrogate away. Who we could hardly muster any kind of performance against at home.

Worrying times.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:39 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:We're in flipping trouble make no mistake.

Scunthorpe are beating the ugly 1 dimensional Harrogate away. Who we could hardly muster any kind of performance against at home.

Worrying times.

No they’re not. There you go again getting carried away :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:39 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:We're in flipping trouble make no mistake.

Worrying times.

Smells like 2008...How many people thought we were too good to go down that year! (I certainly did) we need to start picking up wins FAST
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum