{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Postby part time pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:11 pm

What folk forget to realise with the commentary is that Martin and Dean have to cater for two different audiences at the same time. The tv video audience and the radio only audience.

As John Motson once said when interviewed about his experiences. He said when doing tv commentary let the pictures do the talking as much as possible and keep quite.

However Martin and Dean have to satisfy their radio audience as well.

As Sneag has said, having the cameras on the opposite side of the pitch makes the job very difficult.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Paulstag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Do i continue with Tuesday's thread or pass it on to someone else as we didn't win?
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Paulstag wrote:Do i continue with Tuesday's thread or pass it on to someone else as we didn't win?

You do it. You are unbeaten. Keep it up.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Paulstag wrote:Do i continue with Tuesday's thread or pass it on to someone else as we didn't win?

Keep going, you're smashing it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Well really disappointed only taking a point, we played well and were defending as a unit and were undone with a ball over the top, and the goalkeeper caught in no-mans land.
Clough will have players that will adapt to different roles in the team, and the defence has improved,and it shows expectations have a new level, when a draw at home disappoint us.
Clough will trust his players, and then decisions will be made. Well done lads if you dont win==dont lose and you did that
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Martin, that's fair enough, but I disagree with you.

I can see that opinions on the commentary are not a welcome point of discussion and as someone else rightly pointed out, many others, including myself would not want to do it, so i'll leave my thoughts where they are.

On the whole the work you do is great and it's your choice which feedback you choose to take on board and which you don't.

I've got no problem with comments on commentary and on my reports. I disagree with your comments and have explained why.

I did get Charsley and Lapslie mixed up in the early games after Lapslie joined and have worked hard to take on board the feedback about that and try to make sure I haven't done that in the recent games.

I really don’t think you should be explaining yourself to anyone with a big full stop at the end .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:the defenders are entitled to be really pissed off with Stech there, he hasn't had a save to make and then comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for.
Flapped at one a few minutes before that as well.

When I watched the games as I thought Nige was joining, I sent a message to a mate saying Stech looks dodgy and always has a mistake in him.

I listened his ifollow interview midweek and started liking him but he can't make mistakes like that any more if he wants to keep the number one shirt.

NC will be livid, I'll be interested to hear his interview and hope he manages to hide his true feelings but I do expect he'll be honest and say the keeper error has cost us 2 points.

To be fair to Marek, other than that goal, he's been very good since Nigel got here.

Gutted, a lot of hard work and a Nicky Maynard wonder strike all undone by one stupid decision.

He’s been getting the plaudits for weeks. One mistake and the howling masses are asking for him to be dropped.

I'm hardly the howling masses mate, calm down a bit eh?

I watched every game and my own feeling is he comes for things he doesn't need to come for too often.

I'm not the manager though, so have no say in whether he plays or not. He's made some great saves the past 3 games and i did say he's been very good since the manager got here, so I'm hardly hammering him.

It was a big mistake.

It wasn’t t a dig so how about cooling your jets. It was one post that I happened to quote as an example of how last week he was being lauded and this week he’s being put in the internet stocks. It wasn’t personal. Don’t get all offended. You’re not even a Stag

A tip, if its not personal, don't quote me, quote one of the howling masses that you got over sensitive about.

Another tip, don't insult my intelligence by throwing out the "you're not even a Stag" line. It's such a garbage argument.

That's you straight on the "what a raspberry" list.
Well played.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:the defenders are entitled to be really pissed off with Stech there, he hasn't had a save to make and then comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for.

When I watched the games as I thought Nige was joining, I sent a message to a mate saying Stech looks dodgy and always has a mistake in him.

I listened his ifollow interview midweek and started liking him but he can't make mistakes like that any more if he wants to keep the number one shirt.

NC will be livid, I'll be interested to hear his interview and hope he manages to hide his true feelings but I do expect he'll be honest and say the keeper error has cost us 2 points.

To be fair to Marek, other than that goal, he's been very good since Nigel got here.

Gutted, a lot of hard work and a Nicky Maynard wonder strike all undone by one stupid decision.

He’s been getting the plaudits for weeks. One mistake and the howling masses are asking for him to be dropped.

I watched every game and my own feeling is he comes for things he doesn't need to come for too often.

I'm not the manager though, so have no say in whether he plays or not. He's made some great saves the past 3 games and i did say he's been very good since the manager got here, so I'm hardly hammering him.

It was a big mistake.

It wasn’t t a dig so how about cooling your jets. It was one post that I happened to quote as an example of how last week he was being lauded and this week he’s being put in the internet stocks. It wasn’t personal. Don’t get all offended. You’re not even a Stag

A tip, if its not personal, don't quote me, quote one of the howling masses that you got over sensitive about.

Another tip, don't insult my intelligence by throwing out the "you're not even a Stag" line. It's such a garbage argument.

Well played.

Very perceptive. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm

Don't tell him your name bellwhiff. :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:27 pm

chip63 wrote:Don't tell him your name bellwhiff. :D

;) MasterBrain of Stagsnet :lol:

KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:52 pm

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

It was a big mistake.

Well played.

Wow, that took about a week for him to suss you out Belly :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 am

We know now there is not a massive difference at teams at top of the league to the bottom.
It is all about the team showing some grit and grafting for 90 minutes for each other which will get you points on the board.
Took the lead again and always disappointing not to hold for the win.

Paulstag time for another fred , keep it going pal ;) :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:41 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

It was a big mistake.

Well played.

A tip. I’ll quote whatever I like, Mr Touchy. You have appeared out of nowhere as some sort of weird Clough stalker. You were used as an example. I can do what I like to provide an example. I’d recommend stop being a big baby. You aren’t a fan of this club. Another oddball.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am

I'm Mr Touchy and a big baby? Says the fella who spat his dummy and started getting all hissy 'cos I said the keeper made a mistake.

Did he make a mistake? Well did he?

Clough stalker? fgs how old are you. I have my reasons for following his career closely, sorry that upsets you so much.

I'd have thought a "real" fan like you would be happy that the clubs fan base is growing and my football money is now going into "your" clubs coffers.

Now that'a out of the way and it's clear you've got some personal vendetta against me already, can we drop it and concentrate on the football.

Your petty nastiness is spoiling the forum for others clogging up thread after thread with childish arguments about whether I'm allowed to be a Mansfield fan or not.

Season ticket holder are we?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 pm

I have no vendetta against you, Mr Touchy. I quoted you as an example of the mob mentality of this board.

For your info, it most definitely was a mistake. I wasn’t making a point about that. I was making the point that some were calling for him to be dropped for it. And off you went. Snidy

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:51 pm

:coys:

Come you mighty, gorgeous, sexy Stags.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm

You agree on a goalkeeping mistake and still find a argument, ,he has played 3 games under Clough, 2 he had good games, then most of us thought got caught out against Colchester.
Goalkeepers can win and lose you games, So you want a good one, 30 is a good age for a goalkeeper and should have plenty of experience, 2 league games under Clough, 4 points
So the decision i think will be to move on .At 6, 5 inch, he should dominate his box and be hard to beat,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I have no vendetta against you, Mr Touchy. I quoted you as an example of the mob mentality of this board.

For your info, it most definitely was a mistake. I wasn’t making a point about that. I was making the point that some were calling for him to be dropped for it. And off you went. Snidy

People want Stech dropped because he has made multiple mistakes this season rather than this one specific mistake.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Martin, that's fair enough, but I disagree with you.

I can see that opinions on the commentary are not a welcome point of discussion and as someone else rightly pointed out, many others, including myself would not want to do it, so i'll leave my thoughts where they are.

On the whole the work you do is great and it's your choice which feedback you choose to take on board and which you don't.

I've got no problem with comments on commentary and on my reports. I disagree with your comments and have explained why.

I did get Charsley and Lapslie mixed up in the early games after Lapslie joined and have worked hard to take on board the feedback about that and try to make sure I haven't done that in the recent games.

Martin Just keep up the good work. I enjoy your commentary as do many others. Sure we’re all entitled to the odd mistake but it does not spoil the overall entertainment.
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Daft thing is the Stech mistake is seen time and again even in the premier league and most of the time results in the ball over or wide of goal. He had a split second to decide and the striker finished well. I’ve seen far worse mistakes. I’d rather the keeper did commit to coming out than being hesitant. As a keeper you’re damned either way.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 pm

pemill wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:
Conker wrote:I’m not too disappointed despite the late goal, six unbeaten, we are clearly on another planet to the barrow performance!

Re Stech he’s definitely made some great saves, but too many mistakes and I think putting in Stone would be fair all considered.

He's not too dissimilar to Conrad Logan. Loads of great saves, but too many crucial errors. Typical League 2 keeper.

We scored due to some equally woeful goalkeeping

In all fairness to Conrad he made some 'worldly' saves, Stech has made routine saves which you'd expect a keeper to make.

I'm willing to bet Stech has made more errors leading to goals in the 10 or so games played so far than Conrad did in his 3 seasons with us. People had an agenda with Conrad because he didn't come off of his line and looked a bit on the heavy side, but in reality it never cost us many goals. In general Conrad was a decent league 2 keeper, Stech so far looks a poor one who has a mistake in him every game.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

bear 73 wrote:You agree on a goalkeeping mistake and still find a argument, ,he has played 3 games under Clough, 2 he had good games, then most of us thought got caught out against Colchester.
Goalkeepers can win and lose you games, So you want a good one, 30 is a good age for a goalkeeper and should have plenty of experience, 2 league games under Clough, 4 points
So the decision i think will be to move on .At 6, 5 inch, he should dominate his box and be hard to beat,

Well there’s the point going over your head.

I made a point that last week Stech was lauded and this week there’s calls for him to be dropped. That it was your chum I quoted isn’t relevant.

You’re just another Johnny Come Lately. You’re not a fan of the club.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

AlanStag wrote:
pemill wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:
Conker wrote:I’m not too disappointed despite the late goal, six unbeaten, we are clearly on another planet to the barrow performance!

Re Stech he’s definitely made some great saves, but too many mistakes and I think putting in Stone would be fair all considered.

He's not too dissimilar to Conrad Logan. Loads of great saves, but too many crucial errors. Typical League 2 keeper.

In all fairness to Conrad he made some 'worldly' saves, Stech has made routine saves which you'd expect a keeper to make.

I'm willing to bet Stech has made more errors leading to goals in the 10 or so games played so far than Conrad did in his 3 seasons with us. People had an agenda with Conrad because he didn't come off of his line and looked a bit on the heavy side, but in reality it never cost us many goals. In general Conrad was a decent league 2 keeper, Stech so far looks a poor one who has a mistake in him every game.

Both Stech and Conrad make more mistakes than your average L2 keeper. Don’t go thinking you can’t get a very reliable L2 goalkeeper, we’ve just not signed one for a while, other than Bobby pre injury.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Every decent keeper makes mistakes. It's called human nature. Even England no1 makes mistakes. Joe Hart, Jordan Pickford as fairly recent examples.

I've said before that there are different types of keeper. Some are just straight up shot stoppers and others are more technical and try to nullify threats early.

Conrad is your typical shot stopper the defence clear the danger they stop the shots. They control the 6 yard area pretty much exclusively. Usually they have excellent reflexes.

Olejnik was more technical, he'd come rushing out of his area and deal with it and be alert for a tight back pass or header back these keepers generally control the 18 yard area (to be more specific probably an imaginary 12 yard area so penalty spot.

In sides that play with a high defensive line need the technical keeper (often called the sweeper keeper) to cover behind them and mop up long balls over the top. The sides that play with a deeper defensive line need the shot stopper keeper.

This is the reason why Logan did well in Steve Evans side and average in Flitcroft side and Bobby was the other way around. Logan did very well and is a big reason for last season not being a complete and utter disaster. He was my player of the season for the first half of the season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 am

AlanStag wrote:
pemill wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

Conrad also made a costly error against Colchester near the end of the game and it ended 1-1
What a coincidence!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum