{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Postby lancer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:39 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:To any aspiring journalists out there, if you are at college and writing your thesis on ‘The Dumbing down of the media’ feel free to quote Dean after Maynards goal. “Two goalkeepers would not have stopped that”.

Go on Dean, explain that........

I have to be honest, the commentary is generally really poor. I used to listen to away games on Ifollow, but I don't think I could in future because they don't represent the game well enough.

Deans clichés and over the top reaction to average phases of play combined with Martin getting the players names and referee decisions wrong at least 5-10 times a game.

Martins commitment to the cause is commendable, but if I was giving a match rating today it would be:

Martin - 4. got the odd name right but I'm still waiting for the free kick which was called back for the foul on Clarke

Dean - 2. Even that may pundits wouldn't have have saved his performance

Sorry, but you are bang out of order, Martin has gone way above and beyond for giving us fans commentary and insights through Stagsnet for many years, when Notts radio and 103.2 abandoned us, If it wasn’t for him we would not be able to get any commentary at all so I think these comments are extremely disrespectful, they are not professional journalists and don’t get paid, in fact I know for a fact that it has cost Martin his own money to be able to broadcast, he was a absolute lifeline when I was serving abroad, if you think you could do better I’m sure they would welcome you to join them. I’m not going to hold my breath
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:15 am

:thumbup: :mexican_wave:
lancer wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:To any aspiring journalists out there, if you are at college and writing your thesis on ‘The Dumbing down of the media’ feel free to quote Dean after Maynards goal. “Two goalkeepers would not have stopped that”.

I have to be honest, the commentary is generally really poor. I used to listen to away games on Ifollow, but I don't think I could in future because they don't represent the game well enough.

Deans clichés and over the top reaction to average phases of play combined with Martin getting the players names and referee decisions wrong at least 5-10 times a game.

Martins commitment to the cause is commendable, but if I was giving a match rating today it would be:

Martin - 4. got the odd name right but I'm still waiting for the free kick which was called back for the foul on Clarke

Sorry, but you are bang out of order, Martin has gone way above and beyond for giving us fans commentary and insights through Stagsnet for many years, when Notts radio and 103.2 abandoned us, If it wasn’t for him we would not be able to get any commentary at all so I think these comments are extremely disrespectful, they are not professional journalists and don’t get paid, in fact I know for a fact that it has cost Martin his own money to be able to broadcast, he was a absolute lifeline when I was serving abroad, if you think you could do better I’m sure they would welcome you to join them. I’m not going to hold my breath

:thumbup: :mexican_wave:
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 am

Well said Lancer I have said on here before Martin and Dean should be commended for their voluntary unpaid efforts.
Martin lives in the south of England and puts in a shift just getting here. Neither are paid journalists and should be encouraged not derided. There is an alternative commentary on every game available on ifollow by the opposition.
Keep putting the video clips out guys with the pitchside cameras and the Stagsnet all part of the service.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 am

broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:the defenders are entitled to be really pissed off with Stech there, he hasn't had a save to make and then comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for.
Flapped at one a few minutes before that as well.

When I watched the games as I thought Nige was joining, I sent a message to a mate saying Stech looks dodgy and always has a mistake in him.

I listened his ifollow interview midweek and started liking him but he can't make mistakes like that any more if he wants to keep the number one shirt.

NC will be livid, I'll be interested to hear his interview and hope he manages to hide his true feelings but I do expect he'll be honest and say the keeper error has cost us 2 points.

To be fair to Marek, other than that goal, he's been very good since Nigel got here.

Gutted, a lot of hard work and a Nicky Maynard wonder strike all undone by one stupid decision.

He’s been getting the plaudits for weeks. One mistake and the howling masses are asking for him to be dropped.

I'm hardly the howling masses mate, calm down a bit eh?

I watched every game and my own feeling is he comes for things he doesn't need to come for too often.

I'm not the manager though, so have no say in whether he plays or not. He's made some great saves the past 3 games and i did say he's been very good since the manager got here, so I'm hardly hammering him.

It was a big mistake.

It wasn’t t a dig so how about cooling your jets. It was one post that I happened to quote as an example of how last week he was being lauded and this week he’s being put in the internet stocks. It wasn’t personal. Don’t get all offended. You’re not even a Stag
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 am

lancer wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

You have to put Ifollow and the commentary team in context.

The commo's are not BBC standard but they are adequate, knowledgeable in general and above all enthusiastically presented. If it were not for, Ifollow we fans would lose touch with the club.

The bottom line is, if you don't like the commo turn the sound off. I had my doubts early on but have now got used to it and thank my lucky stars for having an option to watch the games
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:09 am

We played well and we are getting there but I’m curious as to why NC changes the shape of the midfield?

It was less of a diamond and more a flat midfield 4, it meant lapslie was too deep in my opinion. The only other negative is our reaction after conceding, I want us to be the team to be going for the winner at the end, instead it always feels like we’ll be more then happy to cling on to what we have, possibly due to tiredness I suppose, I thought he could of changed 1 of the strikers.

Overall a good display though
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:22 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I thought the ball was going to carry more to be fair and if it had, Stech would have been first to it. Not always easy to judge while the ball is in the air and the dead pitch didn’t help either.

Obviously still Marek’s mistake but maybe not as obvious to judge as some are making out.

Totally agree Sandy. We've seen that sort of goalkeeping mistake week in week out, across the leagues

Initially looked like Stech would make it, so I guess once he'd committed he had to try & close it down, rather than be stuck in no mans land
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 am

That one of Pell sliding along the floor in front of Nicky looks more like a West end musical :lol:

Great pics Dan - you know your way around a Kodak ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 am

lancer wrote:Sorry, but you are bang out of order, Martin has gone way above and beyond for giving us fans commentary and insights through Stagsnet for many years, when Notts radio and 103.2 abandoned us, If it wasn’t for him we would not be able to get any commentary at all so I think these comments are extremely disrespectful, they are not professional journalists and don’t get paid, in fact I know for a fact that it has cost Martin his own money to be able to broadcast, he was a absolute lifeline when I was serving abroad, if you think you could do better I’m sure they would welcome you to join them. I’m not going to hold my breath

Like I said I said initially. martins efforts are commendable and I have recognised that on here many times when people have had a go.

The commentary however is poor. Other than the 'pulled back for a free kick in Clarke' quote, he was going on about Benning having a shot deflected when it clearly wasn't and then regularly shouting for fouls which clearly weren't.

He gets Lapslie and Charsley mixed up constantly and often gets other players mixed up too.

Just because he does a great job at other things, it doesn't mean that he is beyond reproach. If people are not prepared to offer some critique occasionally then how can he look to improve?

As for Dean. He was going on about Maynard's 'unstoppable' goal for a good 5-10 minutes, when it was clear to everyone watching that the keeper should have handled it.

Bear in mind they have a replay facility available to them
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 am

Another sign that things on the pitch are improving is that people are bitching about the commentary on games.

Are they Martin Tyler & Alan Smith? No they ain't, but they are doing their best & it's perfectly adequate.

It's also worth noting that the view they have from the IGS is different from the view we have from the camera in the Bishop St. So they will sometimes call things differently to the folks at home. You only have to look back at the debates that used to go on between fans sat in the QLE & the IGU over interpretations of incidents during games.

Personally I think with his husky tones, Dean would make a great snooker commentator. "Ohh! And that's a bad miss" :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 am

the Benning shot was definitely deflected. We could see that clearly from the West Stand. It was not clear from the Bishop Street side on looking at the replay.

There were certainly some fouls missed by the referee.

I don't think I have got Lapslie and Charsley mixed up in recent games. I watched the whole of the Forest Green game back and didn't make any errors at all in 90 minutes in identifying players. I haven't watched last night's game back but I don't think I did get them mixed up, or other Stags players. I got Stevenson and Chilvers mixed up on one, maybe two occasions I think, and once when Bramall switched from the left to the right, I thought it was him in the left back position but it wasn't. I might have occasionally got other Colchester players mixed up because I'm not used to watching them despite trying to watch as much as I can of recent games to get used to how they look.

On the replay facility, the feed we have is 30 seconds behind real time if we have good wifi at a ground. So it's 30 seconds before we can watch an incident back, and quite often unless there is a goal kick or something then play will have moved on.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:12 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
lancer wrote:Sorry, but you are bang out of order, Martin has gone way above and beyond for giving us fans commentary and insights through Stagsnet for many years, when Notts radio and 103.2 abandoned us, If it wasn’t for him we would not be able to get any commentary at all so I think these comments are extremely disrespectful, they are not professional journalists and don’t get paid, in fact I know for a fact that it has cost Martin his own money to be able to broadcast, he was a absolute lifeline when I was serving abroad, if you think you could do better I’m sure they would welcome you to join them. I’m not going to hold my breath

Like I said I said initially. martins efforts are commendable and I have recognised that on here many times when people have had a go.

The commentary however is poor. Other than the 'pulled back for a free kick in Clarke' quote, he was going on about Benning having a shot deflected when it clearly wasn't and then regularly shouting for fouls which clearly weren't.

He gets Lapslie and Charsley mixed up constantly and often gets other players mixed up too.

Just because he does a great job at other things, it doesn't mean that he is beyond reproach. If people are not prepared to offer some critique occasionally then how can he look to improve?

As for Dean. He was going on about Maynard's 'unstoppable' goal for a good 5-10 minutes, when it was clear to everyone watching that the keeper should have handled it.

Bear in mind they have a replay facility available to them

I'd love you to have a go at the commentary next game. go on, do it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 am

Martin, that's fair enough, but I disagree with you.

I can see that opinions on the commentary are not a welcome point of discussion and as someone else rightly pointed out, many others, including myself would not want to do it, so i'll leave my thoughts where they are.

On the whole the work you do is great and it's your choice which feedback you choose to take on board and which you don't.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am

lifestags wrote:We played well and we are getting there but I’m curious as to why NC changes the shape of the midfield?

It was less of a diamond and more a flat midfield 4, it meant lapslie was too deep in my opinion. The only other negative is our reaction after conceding, I want us to be the team to be going for the winner at the end, instead it always feels like we’ll be more then happy to cling on to what we have, possibly due to tiredness I suppose, I thought he could of changed 1 of the strikers.

Overall a good display though

The team that equalises usually is the team with the momentum in games. It’s human nature to drop a bit deeper when protecting a lead and the opposite if you need to score. It happens. 3 wins and a draw out of 4 games is very good and I think Nigel has come in and his first thought being, make Mansfield harder to beat. 4-4-2 offers stability in the short term. I see him changing it long term when we have more confidence!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am

Rise above it Martin the work you do on commo is fantastic.

We know Dean is just a fan doing his best but your output has improved year on year.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 am

Sedgwick wrote:I'd love you to have a go at the commentary next game. go on, do it.

I'm more than happy to admit that I wouldn't want to do it. I don't think that means I shouldn't be able to offer an opinion though.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 am

broomo wrote:Gordon has done a great job at full back, he did nothing wrong tonight at all.

Kellan Gordon played well but he and Farrend Rawson completely switched off and failed to pick up Luke Norris for the equaliser. Kellan could have made up the ground easily with his pace if he had switched on. He did not even try and run back. Poor defending by Kellan and his defending has improved this season compared to last season. They both had played well until that moment.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Martin, that's fair enough, but I disagree with you.

I can see that opinions on the commentary are not a welcome point of discussion and as someone else rightly pointed out, many others, including myself would not want to do it, so i'll leave my thoughts where they are.

On the whole the work you do is great and it's your choice which feedback you choose to take on board and which you don't.

I've got no problem with comments on commentary and on my reports. I disagree with your comments and have explained why.

I did get Charsley and Lapslie mixed up in the early games after Lapslie joined and have worked hard to take on board the feedback about that and try to make sure I haven't done that in the recent games.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:31 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:I'd love you to have a go at the commentary next game. go on, do it.

I'm more than happy to admit that I wouldn't want to do it. I don't think that means I shouldn't be able to offer an opinion though.

Then what Is the point in ripping someone voluntary efforts to bits?? Fair enough if they were getting paid but they're paying out of their own pockets to get there and do the commentary so other fans can listen.

How about offer some constructive criticism and say where they could improve rather than telling them they're raspberries at it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 am

I didn't 'rip it to bits'. I offered my opinion on a discussion forum. I have since accepted that the opinion wasn't welcome and have moved on.

On the point around them getting paid. I know that they do the commentary voluntarily, but if the club are not offering to at least pay expenses then they should be.

What would really improve the experience is if a third commentator was used, in the form of an out of action player.

This will offer a more informed analysis of the game and occasional insight into what happens behind the scenes, to contrast with the enthusiastic comments of the supporters.

With ifollow being the current 'match day experience', I would like to think the club would support this idea.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 am

Last night’s game, was for me, a breath of fresh air , one where football won. Yes chances were few for both sides though both sides played the ball on the floor. After 18 months of basically, ‘Hoof....there it goes’ and the ball getting a headache from being belted so hard and not being able to compete with sides that we ought to, the game would have been easy on the eye for a neutral.

We now have a midfield that links the back four with the forwards. Discipline in shape is there for all to see and also discipline in the players themselves with no diving in. Fitness has vastly improved though the bad habit of sitting further back for the last ten to fifteen minutes was there again and was a contributory factor to conceding an equaliser. Lapslie is the on loan midfielder who links things that we have been missing since Timi and Ben Whiteman.

Chances were not made in abundance though as the first thing for ‘The son of God’ to do was to steady the ship I can see the number of chances, per game, increasing this season. A bit disappointed not to see Cook come on though.

Yes we gave the ball away easily at times, players that have not done so in the past are doing so now and know that now, under the new footballing manager, they have to do better. Stech, IMO, suffered with a rush of blood to the head in his decision making - he set off like a rocket, realised he had made a mistake and slowed giving the lad chance to finish. If you are coming out at that initial pace keep going and either get there first or scare the lad into a poor finish (or clatter him).

I was more than happy with a draw, six weeks ago we looked dead and buried and this morning in the cold light of a November morning I think we are all, hope we are all positive about the future. Disappointed though we threw 2 points away but a draw was a fair and just result.

In Clough we have a manager with whom I can see a bright future, not ladled with glory but with hope and security. After all, as he is the only footballer I know to have a song wrote about him, there must be something special about him.

Onto Tuesday now, though the new manager bump really needs to know that two nil wins are all that is required.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 am

Back to the match......

We looked really good defensively. Perch and Rawson look solid and the midfield looked organised in front of them too.

I think people are being over complimentary about Colchester. They reminded be a bit of Murray's Mansfield, lots of possession in safe areas, but rarely looked really threatening.

Jevani Brown looked ordinary and once his purple patch has ended, I can see them dropping off a bit. I think they'll finish around 10th.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Every time I watch Colchester, Boringly Efficient springs to mind.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Col U are a fairly average well organised side like most other teams in the league but they are nothing special. Southend United and Scunthorpe United have been poor but there is a fag paper between most of the other teams in the league. Any team that can get a bit of consistency and put a few runs of good results together will stand a chance of making the top 7.

Jevani Brown is a very good player but it was hard for him playing up front on his own with little service or support. James Perch and Farrend Rawson did a good job in keeping him very quiet last night.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm

A draw was fair. Frustrating though that we limited them to very few chances and a goalkeeping rush of blood cost us 2 points.
The bigger picture is that we are playing massive catch up for any chance of a play off spot this season, so draws don't really cut it.
I'm sure at season end, assuming we don't make the top 7, it will be looked upon as an opportunity lost.
Competing against teams with less generous benefactors, no stand out promotion contenders so far and for once non of the teams who joined from League 1 or the National league looking particularly threatening. You can almost guarantee next season will be more competitive if things go back to normal. Shame we wasted the first 25% of it.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum