{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I thought the ball was going to carry more to be fair and if it had, Stech would have been first to it. Not always easy to judge while the ball is in the air and the dead pitch didn’t help either.

Obviously still Marek’s mistake but maybe not as obvious to judge as some are making out.

It's just an error of judgement, not dissimilar to Maynard's air shot the other week which also cost us a goal and three points.

Folks just like to go over the top when it's a keeper
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I thought the ball was going to carry more to be fair and if it had, Stech would have been first to it. Not always easy to judge while the ball is in the air and the dead pitch didn’t help either.

Obviously still Marek’s mistake but maybe not as obvious to judge as some are making out.

I agree there Sandy, obviously he's misjudged the ball, but when the ball was punted over the top, I expected it to shoot off the wet grass & through to Stech.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 pm

london amber stag wrote:
broomo wrote:the defenders are entitled to be really pissed off with Stech there, he hasn't had a save to make and then comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for.
Flapped at one a few minutes before that as well.

When I watched the games as I thought Nige was joining, I sent a message to a mate saying Stech looks dodgy and always has a mistake in him.

I listened his ifollow interview midweek and started liking him but he can't make mistakes like that any more if he wants to keep the number one shirt.

NC will be livid, I'll be interested to hear his interview and hope he manages to hide his true feelings but I do expect he'll be honest and say the keeper error has cost us 2 points.

To be fair to Marek, other than that goal, he's been very good since Nigel got

Gutted, a lot of hard work and a Nicky Maynard wonder strike all undone by one stupid decision.

Out of interest, you do seem to be a Clough fan, are you a Derby or Burton supporter?

I have reasons for following Nigel wherever he goes, so to answer your question properly, I'm a Mansfield Town fan.

I'll always love Burton though. Incredible times, great club, lovely people.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm

A decent performance with some really encouraging signs. But a game of two keeping errors really.

I thought their keeper made a mess of what should have been a reasonably standard save, straight at him and Stech making another blunder.

Fair result and we stay unbeaten. COYS.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Was a joy to watch. Disappointed we dropped 2 points but we look a real side.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 pm

Thing is Colchester also had the number 1 in goal and he made a mistake. This is league 2 every keeper has a mistake in them.

Personally I'd like to see a full strength side with players in their best positions. We aren't quite there yet.

Gordon has said before he prefers to play right wing and Corey O'Keeffe came in as a full back/wing back. We just seem a little disjointed playing 3 central midfielders and a left winger in midfield and a right winger at right back.

It's no surprise that we concede from our right with that arrangement.

Yes Gordon can do a job at right back and yes O'Keeffe can do a job on the right wing but surely their best work will be in their preferred positions?

I get that I'm risking being singled out at being critical but it's my opinion.

I fact while I'm sticking my head up to be shot at (in for a penny in for a pound.)Why only one sub when we looked leggy towards the end?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 pm

I agree Gazza, but I understand not changing the back four in today's game as they had looked really solid and to be fair, had Stech either been quicker or stayed on his line we would have dealt with the goal too
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:38 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Thing is Colchester also had the number 1 in goal and he made a mistake. This is league 2 every keeper has a mistake in them.

Personally I'd like to see a full strength side with players in their best positions. We aren't quite there yet.

Gordon has said before he prefers to play right wing and Corey O'Keeffe came in as a full back/wing back. We just seem a little disjointed playing 3 central midfielders and a left winger in midfield and a right winger at right back.

Yes Gordon can do a job at right back and yes O'Keeffe can do a job on the right wing but surely their best work will be in their preferred positions?

I fact while I'm sticking my head up to be shot at (in for a penny in for a pound.)Why only one sub when we looked leggy towards the end?

Speaking from my own point of view, I don't really care about their keepers mistake, I wish he'd made two.

We only conceded from the right because Marek thought he could get there first. I wonder if sometimes he tries too hard, especially after missing the cross a couple of minutes before that.

I don't think there was any need to make changes, the 11 out there had done a brilliant job, I can understand Clarke coming off in his first start for a few weeks, otherwise I'd have liked to see him stay on as well.

Maybe Gordon does prefer to play right wing but for now the shirt is Charsley's and he's done well.

Gordon has done a great job at full back, he did nothing wrong tonight at all.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Was a joy to watch. Disappointed we dropped 2 points but we look a real side.

I forgot I was watching the same side that played barrow a few weeks ago... were competing now with the best in the division.

8 draws and only 4 defeats says it all, were not far off :coys:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags08 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Midfield looking loads better playing higher up the pitch, the strikers aren’t so isolated now waiting for a 50 yard oooofff from the back. A positive looking midfield forcing Colchester back throughout the game wanting to get the ball down to attack is nice to see, something we’ve been missing for a long time.
As for Martin & Deans commentary, 5/10 mins in and that’s it for me, can’t handle it any longer than that while Colchester commentators were superb with a good reflection of the game and refs performance
Stags08
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 pm

broomo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Thing is Colchester also had the number 1 in goal and he made a mistake. This is league 2 every keeper has a mistake in them.

Speaking from my own point of view, I don't really care about their keepers mistake, I wish he'd made two.

We only conceded from the right because Marek thought he could get there first. I wonder if sometimes he tries too hard, especially after missing the cross a couple of minutes before that.

I don't think there was any need to make changes, the 11 out there had done a brilliant job, I can understand Clarke coming off in his first start for a few weeks, otherwise I'd have liked to see him stay on as well.

Maybe Gordon does prefer to play right wing but for now the shirt is Charsley's and he's done well.

you better get used to stags fans not being happy with any player playing slightly out of position, its almost as if some of our lot think a Right winger will only run up and down the right wing all game.. if he poped up on the other side and scored they'd say "what's he doing over there!!" :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Harry Charsley played really well down the right with Jordan Bowery and Kellan Gordon in the first half. They got in behind Cohen Bramall and most of our chances came from crosses from the right. I thought the Stags played better in the first half than the second half even though we scored in the second half and Harry Charsley had a good chance to score from Mclaughlin's corner. Charsley nipped in well again to win the ball back for the goal before laying it back to Lapslie who passed it forward to Nicky Maynard.

Col U were the better side in the last 15 minutes and should have equalised when Michael Folivi's header hit Kellan Gordon from Josh Bohui's cross from the right. Marek Stech then pushed away Cohen Bramall's cross straight to Luke Norris whose shot was blocked by Mal Benning. Stech should have claimed that cross. Farrend Rawson and Kellan Gordon then got caught napping after the substitution to allow Luke Norris to get in behind them ("Find the Dope" - Graham Souness). He's hardly the quickest striker in the world. They had also allowed Chilvers to get in behind them in the first half from Harry Pell's cross. It was a terrible mistake by Stech to come and claim the ball though. He cost us the game. He should have stayed on his line. It was likely the defenders would get back as they did when James Perch gave the ball away to Jevani Brown in the first half. Overall a draw was a fair result and I think both sides had accepted the point in extra time. The players worked hard and looked very tired at the end. I'm surprised Nigel did not make more substitutions. I thought I saw McLaughlin pull up at one stage.

Mal Benning and Kellan Gordon were our main offenders for giving the ball away.

The old pros will not be happy about all the players from both sides constantly slipping up due to the wrong choice of boots.

We always seem to draw 1-1 against Colchester at home. I think that's the 10th 1-1 draw in the last 23 visits by Col U to Field Mill in league and cup and I think I went to most of them. We needed Iyesden Christie turning up late and scoring four. Take the point and move on.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Things must be improving the matchthreads are getting shorter.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Ok

I think the fact is Gazza that whilst players may not be in their natural positions, they are playing better out of position than those who were in their natural positions IMO. Perch has been out best centre back this season. Gordon has done very well at right back, and before tonight we’ve been playing without a right winger. Charsley is not a natural central midfielder in a two IMO, which is why the diamond formation has been suiting him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Clough saying was keeper error that cost 3 points in his interview.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:28 pm

pemill wrote:Stech - Hero to zero :roll:

Ok so his positioning/timing wasn't great but was still agood finish to dink it over him... People have very short memories.. Made some awesome saves in last few games.

On the whole 1-1 was a fair reflection of the play imo... Looked like a battle between two sides up there in the autos.

One slight complaint (I know I'll get the usual you steal from the club blah blah) but Dean on the commo really winds me up and I can't bear it any longer :lol:... I'm sure he's a top bloke and I don't want to sound horrible but he doesn't half come out with some cack!.

But in general a positive night once again.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 pm

The One wrote:Clough saying was keeper error that cost 3 points in his interview.

Thought he handled it well, certainly on the ifollow interview and it's the only interview I've heard.

Saying it was a misjudgment and was quite gentle with it.

I think if he'd have been with the players longer he'd have been a bit more direct but it's too early to be hammering a lad who is a key player and who has done well for him so far.

The clear truth is, if Marek stays on his line it's going to take a worldie to beat him and we win the game 1-0.

Frustrating as we kept a very dangerous team to very few half chances and were 5 minutes away from everyone saying it was another great win.

Lots of positives, the difference in the tempo and the quality is there for all to see.

It won't being before we give someone a real spanking.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Gordon and Charsley are real quality. We do need a few new faces in January but we clearly have a lot of potential. 4 pts from those two tough games is a great return and the manager has made an instant impact.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm

london amber stag wrote:
broomo wrote:the defenders are entitled to be really pissed off with Stech there, he hasn't had a save to make and then comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for.

When I watched the games as I thought Nige was joining, I sent a message to a mate saying Stech looks dodgy and always has a mistake in him.

I listened his ifollow interview midweek and started liking him but he can't make mistakes like that any more if he wants to keep the number one shirt.

NC will be livid, I'll be interested to hear his interview and hope he manages to hide his true feelings but I do expect he'll be honest and say the keeper error has cost us 2 points.

Gutted, a lot of hard work and a Nicky Maynard wonder strike all undone by one stupid decision.

Out of interest, you do seem to be a Clough fan, are you a Derby or Burton supporter?

I understand he is a very close friend of the Clough family and has been since he was a kid.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:40 pm

part time pete wrote:
london amber stag wrote:

I understand he is a very close friend of the Clough family and has been since he was a kid.

I was a very close friend and yes since I was a kid.

We're not so close these days, I rarely get the chance to speak to Nigel these days and don't want to give the impression I've got some kind of inside info.

I just watch him and his football teams very closely and I had a very good set of football teachers in him, his dad and his brother.

COYS's ;-)
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 pm

broomo wrote:

I'm not saying Gordon didn't do a good job. Once Clarke came off and Charsley went more central. Pushing people into their best positions would surely have been more beneficial?

People are getting it twisted that I'm saying they played badly, they played well, what I'm saying is surely they would play better if they were in their best positions.

Perch is experience enough that being asked to play 20 yards to his left doesn't bother him much. Gordon has got a good cross on him. From what I've seen I think O'Keeffe and Gordon could be like Hassell and Lawrence played for us if given the opportunity.

Their keeper did make 2 mistakes he palmed a shot straight to Maynard who couldn't direct it back goalwards. Probably others too.

They had a glorious chance to take the lead but I think the striker expected the offside flag with how he cushioned the header to Stech.

As for Clarke I thought he took him off because he was already booked and recently injured. He knew Colchester would go for it and took him off in case he got sent off.

We've got opportunities now to change it up more during a game. We've got a fairly strong bench I'd like to see us make better use of subs. Many will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but which is better? A proactive change or reactive change?

They've made 4 changes and earned a point. Their last sub got the winning goal. They made their first sub before our goal, made a double sub a couple of minutes after our goal and 10 minutes later made a 4th sub and 5 minutes after that got the goal. They freshened up and took control of the last 15-20 minutes. We looked tired.

Just my observations on the game tonight. I'm sure Clough wouldn't deny me an opinion (even if he disagrees with it)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:To any aspiring journalists out there, if you are at college and writing your thesis on ‘The Dumbing down of the media’ feel free to quote Dean after Maynards goal. “Two goalkeepers would not have stopped that”.

Go on Dean, explain that........

I have to be honest, the commentary is generally really poor. I used to listen to away games on Ifollow, but I don't think I could in future because they don't represent the game well enough.

Deans clichés and over the top reaction to average phases of play combined with Martin getting the players names and referee decisions wrong at least 5-10 times a game.

Martins commitment to the cause is commendable, but if I was giving a match rating today it would be:

Martin - 4. got the odd name right but I'm still waiting for the free kick which was called back for the foul on Clarke

Dean - 2. Even that may pundits wouldn't have have saved his performance

A bit harsh KKT IMO.

I don’t recall Martin making many mistakes tonight. When he does he is usually the first to hold his hands up and correct himself, as he did tonight with the free kick situation you mention.

I agree the comments regarding Maynard’s goal were a little OTT, but then again the manager has also come out after the game and said it was a brilliant goal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:03 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:

I'm not saying Gordon didn't do a good job. Once Clarke came off and Charsley went more central. Pushing people into their best positions would surely have been more beneficial?

People are getting it twisted that I'm saying they played badly, they played well, what I'm saying is surely they would play better if they were in their best positions.

Perch is experience enough that being asked to play 20 yards to his left doesn't bother him much. Gordon has got a good cross on him. From what I've seen I think O'Keeffe and Gordon could be like Hassell and Lawrence played for us if given the opportunity.

Their keeper did make 2 mistakes he palmed a shot straight to Maynard who couldn't direct it back goalwards. Probably others too.

They had a glorious chance to take the lead but I think the striker expected the offside flag with how he cushioned the header to Stech.

As for Clarke I thought he took him off because he was already booked and recently injured. He knew Colchester would go for it and took him off in case he got sent off.

We've got opportunities now to change it up more during a game. We've got a fairly strong bench I'd like to see us make better use of subs. Many will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but which is better? A proactive change or reactive change?

They've made 4 changes and earned a point. Their last sub got the winning goal. They made their first sub before our goal, made a double sub a couple of minutes after our goal and 10 minutes later made a 4th sub and 5 minutes after that got the goal. They freshened up and took control of the last 15-20 minutes. We looked tired.

Just my observations on the game tonight. I'm sure Clough wouldn't deny me an opinion (even if he disagrees with it)

And they're very good observations. All of them. Can't really argue with anything you've said, but if Marek doesn't drop a goolie we wouldn't be talking about any of it. Fine margins.

I didn't take your first post as either a criticism or as saying any of the players players played badly, just offered my own views on your points.

You clearly know your stuff based on the points you made and what you picked up on as key points. Fair play ;-)
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:05 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Conker wrote:I’m not too disappointed despite the late goal, six unbeaten, we are clearly on another planet to the barrow performance!

Re Stech he’s definitely made some great saves, but too many mistakes and I think putting in Stone would be fair all considered.

He's not too dissimilar to Conrad Logan. Loads of great saves, but too many crucial errors. Typical League 2 keeper.

We scored due to some equally woeful goalkeeping

In all fairness to Conrad he made some 'worldly' saves, Stech has made routine saves which you'd expect a keeper to make.
pemill
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum