{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Alistair Smith joins Altrincham permanently

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Alistair Smith

Postby The One » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Gone to Altrincham on loan
The One
Manager
Manager

Re: Alistair Smith

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Clough either sees a player and wants him to get experience, or doesn't see one and it may be the last time we see him in a Stags shirt... Personally I don't know!
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 pm

He's only gone for a month so I think that speaks for itself.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:34 pm

What league are Altrinham?
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Dan wrote:He's only gone for a month so I think that speaks for itself.

Note to self - read the article. Cheers mate.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:36 pm

garlic wrote:What league are Altrinham?

League below us, same as Notts & Spireites. They came up last season.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:

Note to self - read the article. Cheers mate.

:D No worries mate. He might stay longer, depends what happens. They've had a few covid cases there so hopefully he'll stay safe. 3 more games went today in that league.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Dan wrote:
garlic wrote:What league are Altrinham?

League below us, same as Notts & Spireites. They came up last season.

Thanks, that being so it would suggest to me that Cloughie sees something in him and wants him to get some regular game time.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Good luck young man

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:42 pm

He's not gonna get much game time here. We're out of the cups to play youth in. He's way down the pecking order. He's also not pulled up any trees this season. It's a month but don't forget we are 6 weeks from Christmas and 7 weeks from January could be a kind of trial for him there.

I think he's sent him out to see if he can break into Altrincham's first team and get minutes.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Time for Smith to step up now if he wants to make it at Mansfield. May sound harsh, but if he can’t go to Altrincham, get plenty of minutes and look a cut above then you struggle to see him breaking through properly here.

Clough alluded to the point in his interview that some of our kids aren’t really kids anymore, or at least not ‘babies’. Smith and Law are 21 now and need to be making a bigger impact at first team level now. This is a huge year for them so need to take their opportunities.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 am

i’ve a feeling that’s the last we’ll see of him in a Stags shirt
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:55 am

I think it’s a good move for Alistair- a great opportunity to play regularly.

With regards to Law I’m surprised he hasn’t featured more but whenever I’ve seen him I’ve been impressed. I wonder with him whether or not his versatility counts against him.

There’s no doubt we are producing some talent but when you compare to the likes of Stone and Clarke ( both of who look comfortable in the first 11) it does give you food for thought
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:46 am

BH_Stag wrote:Time for Smith to step up now if he wants to make it at Mansfield. May sound harsh, but if he can’t go to Altrincham, get plenty of minutes and look a cut above then you struggle to see him breaking through properly here.

Clough alluded to the point in his interview that some of our kids aren’t really kids anymore, or at least not ‘babies’. Smith and Law are 21 now and need to be making a bigger impact at first team level now. This is a huge year for them so need to take their opportunities.

100% agree.. they can only be classed as youth/kids for so long.
I'm sure there are some 21 year olds that are first team regulars in our league already.
If these 2 were good enough they would be playing regular by now imo.
Good luck to Alistair hope he does well.

The one I'm really excited about is Tyrese.
I'm sure Clough will give him plenty of game time in the coming weeks.
Slighty off topic but thats another good thing about the Clough appointment, he will know what rate he expects youngsters to progress and how much they are worth to the club at the stage they are at "if" bids come in...

The more you look at this appointment the more you smile and think "wow" how did we manage to appoint him :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:30 am

Unfortunately for AS he will, in my mind, be forever associated with the Leyton Orient game early in John Dempsters career when with the game cruising to a comfortable win the manager decided to use his substitutes and brought him on and he didn't touch the ball and effectively we were down to ten men during which time Orient cemented their improbable victory.

Unfair on him and not saying it was his fault but it was a real opportunity and he did nothing in that or any other game I've seen him in. But if Nigel Clough sees something in him that's good enough for me.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:59 am

You have to put it in perspective...Gordon is only 22 and is a firm first team player imo...one to watch this season
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:02 am

I've said a few times that the lads we produce are not good enough for the first team. We celebrated winning the youth League which raised exprctstions, but the truth was that it was a lower quality competition.

Hopefully this will start to change as the academy grows and their competition becomes tougher, but in the next five years we should be targeting 16-21 year olds released from higher echelons of the game and try and develop them into solid league players.

Gordon, Clarke, Stone, O'Driscoll, Knowles and Charsley are all examples of this. Compare them to Smith and you'll see immediately the difference.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:43 am

My near neighbour is a fan of those Crooked Spireites and he's just told me that they are away to Altrincham next Tuesday.

COME ON ALISTAIR !!!

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:52 am

Some opinions on this based on a lot of guesswork and not much information.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:53 am

Ill pop to watch if I can, are they allowed a few fans in at that level? Ground is a few minutes up the road from me.

I hope he does well, Ive seen him play for the youth sides and he's brilliant, strong cool midfielder that can pass it forwards and he showed it when we played Burton but he's needed a loan like this for a while, when he's been thrown in the odd few times its not been the best for him, like the orient game. Our kids need proper loans, something we've missed for years now.

Anyone know how Jimmy is getting on?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 am

Sedgwick wrote:Ill pop to watch if I can, are they allowed a few fans in at that level? Ground is a few minutes up the road from me.

I hope he does well, Ive seen him play for the youth sides and he's brilliant, strong cool midfielder that can pass it forwards and he showed it when we played Burton but he's needed a loan like this for a while, when he's been thrown in the odd few times its not been the best for him, like the orient game. Our kids need proper loans, something we've missed for years now.

He’s scored one. Think he’s only started once rest we’re sub appearances. Will get more game time due to how many games County will need to play due to them having about 4 games called off already due to covid.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby newtonstag » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:23 am

Sedgwick wrote:Ill pop to watch if I can, are they allowed a few fans in at that level? Ground is a few minutes up the road from me.

Agreed. The young pros need to managed better to give them every chance of success. The right loan moves are key to this imo. Hopefully with Clough at the helm this will be improved going forward.

I believe Jimmy has started one game along with a few appearances from the bench, 1 goal scored so far.
Definitely a player with lots of potential but I feel a he would have benefitted from more game time at a mid table National League side with less resources than County. Hopefully I’m proved wrong by the end of the season and he nails down a regular place in the starting line up.
newtonstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 pm

Clough does not like players not getting games and loan deals give them a chance to progress or not, having young players at 21 not getting games is not good at league 2 level
Bringing players through the academy brings many failures, and few are succeed to the top level,but others go on to have good careers at championship or in the lower leagues . With Clough attitude is key and discipline vital. If Clough says well done.you walk 10 foot tall for a week, Already thinking about Jan transfer window, Blank canvas is what the players have. and loans can be vital to a players career,Most top players have had loan spells.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Unfortunately Behind Closed Doors
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Yeh, janaury transfer window
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum