{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn victim of armed robbery

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carolyn victim of armed robbery

Postby Sneag » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:03 pm

stag324 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkstag wrote:This is terrible. It is also why it’s not wise to flaunt what you have .. I would imagine this was a targeted attack.
I live in a decent area , but people consider what car they have on the basis they don’t want it stolen.
Unfortunately there are people out there who don’t want to earn they just take.
Good Carolyn’s children weren’t present.
Hope Carolyn’s ok

Definitely a targeted attack. And while the last thing I’m doing is victim shaming, if you make yourself a target, unfortunately you’re going to attract the attention of criminals.

I hope she’s OK.

It does happen quite a lot. My ex wife!s step dad drove coaches on overseas trips. He got rolled by a gang in Paris while the people were at the Eiffel Tower. They took his wedding ring. He told me that he was chuffed in a way as he’d been trying to get it off his finger for over ten years but it was stuck.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs if you think this way.

Maybe between the both of you, you could create a rule book for how a law abiding citizen should behave :-o :-o

It's hardly rocket science, if you flash your cash, some scrote will relieve you of it. You just need to exercise a bit of caution & a bit of common sense, even then you can still be unfortunate & end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:24 pm

Sneag wrote:
stag324 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkstag wrote:This is terrible. It is also why it’s not wise to flaunt what you have .. I would imagine this was a targeted attack.
I live in a decent area , but people consider what car they have on the basis they don’t want it stolen.
Hope Carolyn’s ok

Definitely a targeted attack. And while the last thing I’m doing is victim shaming, if you make yourself a target, unfortunately you’re going to attract the attention of criminals.

I hope she’s OK.

It does happen quite a lot. My ex wife!s step dad drove coaches on overseas trips. He got rolled by a gang in Paris while the people were at the Eiffel Tower. They took his wedding ring. He told me that he was chuffed in a way as he’d been trying to get it off his finger for over ten years but it was stuck.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs if you think this way.

Maybe between the both of you, you could create a rule book for how a law abiding citizen should behave :-o :-o

It's hardly rocket science, if you flash your cash, some scrote will relieve you of it. You just need to exercise a bit of caution & a bit of common sense, even then you can still be unfortunate & end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Which is my point really. I don’t think it’s a sad state of affairs to understand that high value targets are attractive to criminals. I’m not saying you should expect to be robbed either. The sad fact is that there are criminals out there who target people who they know will have money. I worked overseas a lot at the FCO. Did a load of courses on how to try to blend in (not easy in Nairobi) but also how to minimise the chance of being targeted in the first place. Playing the grey man (woman) being one of the main ones.

It’s really unfortunate that she was attacked and robbed. I hope she’s OK. I hope she takes steps in future to mitigate any risks.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Scothie the Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Hope Carolyn’s ok

I hope she’s OK.

Whilst I don't think that either of you are intending to blame the victim, how is what you're both saying any different to saying a rape victim got raped because she was wearing a short skirt?

I hope that Carolyn isn't too shaken and hopefully the suspects get caught before it happens again.

Oh do be brief eh. It’s a million miles from what you compared it to. What a sick comparison.

Not as sick as Evans coming back being the same as "an abused wife going back to the husband that beat her" EH. ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:41 pm

scotsstag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Scothie the Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Hope Carolyn’s ok

I hope she’s OK.

Whilst I don't think that either of you are intending to blame the victim, how is what you're both saying any different to saying a rape victim got raped because she was wearing a short skirt?

I hope that Carolyn isn't too shaken and hopefully the suspects get caught before it happens again.

Oh do be brief eh. It’s a million miles from what you compared it to. What a sick comparison.

Not as sick as Evans coming back being the same as "an abused wife going back to the husband that beat her" EH. ;)

Far far worse.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:06 pm

Ha, sure thing.

Extreme example, but I was just highlighting that I thought you were victim blaming, because she flaunted her possessions, rather than blending in. She should be able to wear £250k worth of jewellery if she wants and still not be called a target. People suck (not directed at you).
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Scothie the Stag wrote:Ha, sure thing.

Extreme example, but I was just highlighting that I thought you were victim blaming, because she flaunted her possessions, rather than blending in. She should be able to wear £250k worth of jewellery if she wants and still not be called a target. People suck (not directed at you).

I wasn’t victim blaming. Everyone should be free to do as they wish when they show their wealth etc. The unfortunate truth though is that it makes a person more likely to be done over if you’re in a Bentley with a Rolex on your wrist that in a Dacia Sandero with a Swatch on.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:07 am

I used to take my kids to school in our Bentley...land Mini Clubman and nobody ever robbed us. :lol:

We did call it the Bentley too. :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 am

Spiritater wrote:I used to take my kids to school in our Bentley...land Mini Clubman and nobody ever robbed us. :lol:

We did call it the Bentley too. :D

No Spiro. You were robbed by the car salesman. :D :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:04 am

It looks like some other celebrities including Super Frankie Lampard and the Leicester City owner were burgled by an international gang flying in from Sweden, Italy and Japan. They stole £26 million of jewellery, valuables, cash etc. £25 million of stuff was stolen from Bernie Ecclestone's daughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54917570
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum