{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

George Lapslie

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

George Lapslie

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:24 am

Must be one of the best loan signings I’ve seen in all my years of watching the Stags (first went 1964). Looks to have everything!

Charlton must have one hell of a squad if they can afford to let him go out!
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: George Lapslie

Postby Old amber » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:19 am

Totally agree.. he’s a busy and clever midfielder works hard and puts in that extra we’ve been lacking for a few years
Now ... and pops up with goals as well, Nigel build your side around him and we’ll be going places... but first we need to
Sign him permanently.
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ST4GS » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:49 am

West Ham 1969 wrote:Must be one of the best loan signings I’ve seen in all my years of watching the Stags (first went 1964). Looks to have everything!

Not seen him yet so can't comment but he must be good if you are putting him above the excellent Ben Whiteman who's impact was amazing.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:55 am

ST4GS wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:Must be one of the best loan signings I’ve seen in all my years of watching the Stags (first went 1964). Looks to have everything!

Not seen him yet so can't comment but he must be good if you are putting him above the excellent Ben Whiteman who's impact was amazing.

His past couple of games have been on par with Whiteman, certainly.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:07 am

Whiteman is on another planet.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 am

Old amber wrote:Totally agree.. he’s a busy and clever midfielder works hard and puts in that extra we’ve been lacking for a few years
Now ... and pops up with goals as well, Nigel build your side around him and we’ll be going places... but first we need to
Sign him permanently.

Apparently doesn't get a look in at Charlton, buy him in January
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am

Lapslie was loaned to us to free up wage in the salary cap. His contract is up at the end of the season, he signed one in Feb 2019 until June 2021.

There's a good chance he could be signed in January permanently. Bowyer said when he was loaned out that it was to free up spending in a tight salary cap. If they want him back in January then they likely would have to get rid of a player first.

Plus with Charlton currently 3rd in league 1 they probably would let him leave. I did find a website that listed his wage as being £840p/w https://salarysport.com/football/player/george-lapslie/ we are getting good value at £840 a week.

If we can sign him permanently it would go towards our vision of signing players to develop.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Ben Whiteman is very very good. I'm surprised nobody in the Championship bought him in the summer. All the Donny fans expected him to leave.

Premier League, Championship and top League 1 sides have some very good young players but managers are under pressure to get results and they have big squads and they cannot play them all. Will Jack Diamond ever play regularly for Sunderland? He has not made a league start this season and it will get harder for him when they get to the Championship. George Lapslie only made 4(6) league starts for Charlton last season in the Championship. The lower league clubs just have to have good scouting systems and contacts and move in and pick up these players when they become available. Having a bit of cash to spend also comes in handy.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 pm

I hope we can sign Lapslie permanently. He oozes quality, and even pops up with crucial goals.
But it's the quality of his work in midfield that sets him apart, and he's consistent with it. Just the sort of midfielder that we can build a successful side around.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Lapslie was loaned to us to free up wage in the salary cap. His contract is up at the end of the season, he signed one in Feb 2019 until June 2021.

There's a good chance he could be signed in January permanently. Bowyer said when he was loaned out that it was to free up spending in a tight salary cap. If they want him back in January then they likely would have to get rid of a player first.

Plus with Charlton currently 3rd in league 1 they probably would let him leave. I did find a website that listed his wage as being £840p/w https://salarysport.com/football/player/george-lapslie/ we are getting good value at £840 a week.

If we can sign him permanently it would go towards our vision of signing players to develop.

Agree, he's only 23 and will only get better.

Interesting website that... wonder how accurate? Craig Davies 2,400 a week... Macca 3,500!!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Tyler walker is on it and his wage is listed as £5,600 a week when he was here on loan.

Seems to only cover Premier league and championship clubs from last season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cheshire Stag » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:34 pm

I really look forward to seeing George Lapslie and Olly Clarke in midfield together.
Cheshire Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:12 pm

Cheshire Stag wrote:I really look forward to seeing George Lapslie and Olly Clarke in midfield together.

potentially a quality midfield pairing when fit
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Lapslie was loaned to us to free up wage in the salary cap. His contract is up at the end of the season, he signed one in Feb 2019 until June 2021.

Interesting website that... wonder how accurate? Craig Davies 2,400 a week... Macca 3,500!!

Not very accurate at all. Just pure guesswork
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:53 pm

Sign him. Perm
A midfield of him, Clarke with maris or Charsley is a very exciting one
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby CharltonFan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:25 pm

George starting playing for the first team in around 2017, but only in Cup games , so he has been in and around for a while. When we went up in 18/19 he played around 20 games I think, looked solid but could never nail down a place due to the likes of Aribo ( now at rangers), Bielik( got sold for 10 million in the summer to derby) and Cullen who is now at Anderlecht. Got a hamstring injury at the start of last season and was always in the squad when fit. He has been with us since he was about 9 I think and has said he wants to captain us one day, as he is a Charlton Fan. I'd be surprised if we didnt recall him in Jan if he performs well up until then as we lack a bit of energy. Problem that he has had with us is that when he has played he has always looked like he cant keep up with the pace when he is on the ball, and at the Champ/ league 1 you end up with less time to pick a pass. I'm not convinced our manager sees him as a player that can play in the championship and beyond , so he may well get released or sold to you. But Bowyer has said that this loan is for developing him so if he performs well he may be put into our first team. I get the impression that this is a last chance saloon loan for him, and if he dosnt perform he will be gone. I'll be keeping an eye on your results this year and good luck as we burdened you with Ajose a few years ago, so feel we need to pay the favour back with George :lol:
CharltonFan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

I can't be bothered to find the post now but I did say Macca was on £3500 at the Stags and nobody believed it.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:37 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

What should the figures be? Walker was reportedly on over £5k a week, according to that site he was. Macca was at a League 1 club. If I remember rightly evans had to persuade him to join. He signed a new deal here, not out of the realms of possibility he's on £3.5k.

Davies played for Wales and also scored 23 goals in League 2 for the sheep. His wage is possible.

It's telling that players already under contract under the wage cap are counted as £1.9k p/w which is the average wage. I personally don't think the wages quoted are far off the mark.

People dismiss the wage because they are percieved as not worth that much. It's no secret that Evans leaves clubs worse off, we had the same with high earners getting limited no value for that money.

If Lapslie is on £840 a week we are getting some good value for that.

The wage total is £2m a year on that site but I noticed Matt Preston and Conrad Logan are missing, maybe some others too.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:12 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

What should the figures be? Walker was reportedly on over £5k a week, according to that site he was. Macca was at a League 1 club. If I remember rightly evans had to persuade him to join. He signed a new deal here, not out of the realms of possibility he's on £3.5k.

Davies played for Wales and also scored 23 goals in League 2 for the sheep. His wage is possible.

It's telling that players already under contract under the wage cap are counted as £1.9k p/w which is the average wage. I personally don't think the wages quoted are far off the mark.

People dismiss the wage because they are percieved as not worth that much. It's no secret that Evans leaves clubs worse off, we had the same with high earners getting limited no value for that money.

The wage total is £2m a year on that site but I noticed Matt Preston and Conrad Logan are missing, maybe some others too.

There just guesstimates pal.... Just someone taking clues and guessing. No club, player or football body is going to release actual individual player wages to a website, newspaper or any media outlet.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:27 pm

CharltonFan wrote:George starting playing for the first team in around 2017, but only in Cup games , so he has been in and around for a while. When we went up in 18/19 he played around 20 games I think, looked solid but could never nail down a place due to the likes of Aribo ( now at rangers), Bielik( got sold for 10 million in the summer to derby) and Cullen who is now at Anderlecht. Got a hamstring injury at the start of last season and was always in the squad when fit. He has been with us since he was about 9 I think and has said he wants to captain us one day, as he is a Charlton Fan. I'd be surprised if we didnt recall him in Jan if he performs well up until then as we lack a bit of energy. Problem that he has had with us is that when he has played he has always looked like he cant keep up with the pace when he is on the ball, and at the Champ/ league 1 you end up with less time to pick a pass. I'm not convinced our manager sees him as a player that can play in the championship and beyond , so he may well get released or sold to you. But Bowyer has said that this loan is for developing him so if he performs well he may be put into our first team. I get the impression that this is a last chance saloon loan for him, and if he dosnt perform he will be gone. I'll be keeping an eye on your results this year and good luck as we burdened you with Ajose a few years ago, so feel we need to pay the favour back with George :lol:
Thank you for the info. Could be a good acquisition for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:33 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

There just guesstimates pal.... Just someone taking clues and guessing. No club, player or football body is going to release actual individual player wages to a website, newspaper or any media outlet.

I know they are. But they are good guesstimates.

I used to do the researching on football manager for us and those are guesstimated figures. However 1 season the club got in touch to ask how I knew the wages of some of the players and the total outlay. The answer was it was a guess based on numerous factors. What the previous guess of the players wage was and if we would likely pay more, the same or less depending on certain factors. But it's a guess.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:31 pm

CharltonFan wrote:George starting playing for the first team in around 2017, but only in Cup games , so he has been in and around for a while. When we went up in 18/19 he played around 20 games I think, looked solid but could never nail down a place due to the likes of Aribo ( now at rangers), Bielik( got sold for 10 million in the summer to derby) and Cullen who is now at Anderlecht. Got a hamstring injury at the start of last season and was always in the squad when fit. He has been with us since he was about 9 I think and has said he wants to captain us one day, as he is a Charlton Fan. I'd be surprised if we didnt recall him in Jan if he performs well up until then as we lack a bit of energy. Problem that he has had with us is that when he has played he has always looked like he cant keep up with the pace when he is on the ball, and at the Champ/ league 1 you end up with less time to pick a pass. I'm not convinced our manager sees him as a player that can play in the championship and beyond , so he may well get released or sold to you. But Bowyer has said that this loan is for developing him so if he performs well he may be put into our first team. I get the impression that this is a last chance saloon loan for him, and if he dosnt perform he will be gone. I'll be keeping an eye on your results this year and good luck as we burdened you with Ajose a few years ago, so feel we need to pay the favour back with George :lol:

Cheers. George has done really well for us. A Charlton mate of mine said he'd be like this so I'm pleased it's working out so far.

I can see him doing it at league 1 level and he could well move up to Championship quality as he gets older, but I don't think he's in Bowyers plans. Hopefully he can do enough to be a success for us but not prompt a recall and then crack on a soon as we sign him on a perma ;)
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Top player. And I saw from interview when he signed he had something about him which stood out even before he had kicked a ball
Watch it again if u can and u will see what I mean
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:42 am

Trousers too tight maybe? :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater