{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Get Flicker in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Get Flicker in

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Rob wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Rob wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Whilst even in difficult circumstances, ie having unwanted players on massive wages sat in the stands and losing key players around Christmas... David Flitcroft did a remarkable job for this club... Best we've had for years.

Steve Evans
PLD....W...D...L...PTS...PPG
.18....11...5...2....38....2.11 = Champions form
David Flitcroft
.10.....1....5...4.....8....0.80 = Relegation form

You could of picked anyone out of the West Stand and they would struggle to do a worse job to end the 2018/19 season!

Last 15 games 2018/19

PLD...W...D...L...PTS

Very similar to Notts Clownty, same period

PLD..W...D...L...PTS

Finished last season in similar form to Notts County, who were relegated!

Finished 4th, fact, finished 21st last season, fact, currently 21st, fact. I'm pretty certain I could pick part of Dave Smith's record and find some relegation form in there :lol:

It is an absolute fact that DF led us to our highest league position in 15 years, no matter how much you massage the stats Kirkby.

No massaging stats Rob, they're facts just like yours.

Putting Dave Smith's name in the same conversation as DF is laughable.

DF failed, twice, and JR was 100% correct in ending DF's time at Stags.

Just because we've struggled since does not mean the DF decision was wrong.

No you have carefully selected a particular part of the season, that is manipulation of the stats. The reference to Dave Smith was not a comparison, but he did experience a particularly poor run believe it or not.

I said at the time that sacking the manager meant we were starting again and that there was sbsolutely no guarantee things would be better. We should have stuck with him, at least for the first part of the season. You get nowhere by constantly sacking manager's, something many on here find hard to understand.

We didn't have a top 3 budget either, 4th is the best finish in 15 years and the football we played was the best in over a decade. I don't want him back, but this misery over the past 18 months started with his sacking.

No, this misery started with DF in charge in February 2019, 15 games with a PPG 1.2 and we've not recovered since.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Rob wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Rob wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Whilst even in difficult circumstances, ie having unwanted players on massive wages sat in the stands and losing key players around Christmas... David Flitcroft did a remarkable job for this club... Best we've had for years.

Steve Evans
PLD....W...D...L...PTS...PPG
.18....11...5...2....38....2.11 = Champions form
David Flitcroft
.10.....1....5...4.....8....0.80 = Relegation form

You could of picked anyone out of the West Stand and they would struggle to do a worse job to end the 2018/19 season!

Last 15 games 2018/19

PLD...W...D...L...PTS

Very similar to Notts Clownty, same period

PLD..W...D...L...PTS

Finished last season in similar form to Notts County, who were relegated!

Finished 4th, fact, finished 21st last season, fact, currently 21st, fact. I'm pretty certain I could pick part of Dave Smith's record and find some relegation form in there :lol:

It is an absolute fact that DF led us to our highest league position in 15 years, no matter how much you massage the stats Kirkby.

No massaging stats Rob, they're facts just like yours.

Putting Dave Smith's name in the same conversation as DF is laughable.

DF failed, twice, and JR was 100% correct in ending DF's time at Stags.

Just because we've struggled since does not mean the DF decision was wrong.

No you have carefully selected a particular part of the season, that is manipulation of the stats. The reference to Dave Smith was not a comparison, but he did experience a particularly poor run believe it or not.

I said at the time that sacking the manager meant we were starting again and that there was sbsolutely no guarantee things would be better. We should have stuck with him, at least for the first part of the season. You get nowhere by constantly sacking manager's, something many on here find hard to understand.

We didn't have a top 3 budget either, 4th is the best finish in 15 years and the football we played was the best in over a decade. I don't want him back, but this misery over the past 18 months started with his sacking.

Oh yes we did! So he failed even more than we all realised! :lol: :D

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... agm-213722
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:16 am

Flitcroft was a good manager, the best we have had in long time,ok he failed or should I say the players did,my memory
Of David Flitcroft was when we played Crewe at home and we were 0-4 down in 30 mins, we managed to crawl back to
3-4 the stick he took that day was as brutal as any I have seen at the stags in all my years... but he bounced back
He won my respect because of that..
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:42 am

Old amber wrote:Flitcroft was a good manager, the best we have had in long time,ok he failed or should I say the players did,my memory
Of David Flitcroft was when we played Crewe at home and we were 0-4 down in 30 mins, we managed to crawl back to
3-4 the stick he took that day was as brutal as any I have seen at the stags in all my years... but he bounced back

The players didn't fail, he bottled it.

The last dozen or so games where we needed a few points to crawl over the line you could see the change in tactics. We stopped the high press and dropped 15 yards deeper in ' the hope' we'd pick up the point or two required, all under his instructions.
The only one of those games where I thought , oh good we are pressing at high tempo again we thumped Morecambe, then we stopped again???

Gazza says the bad run coincided with Rose getting injured, I say it was when MacDonald returned from injury and played in every rotten game culminating in the worst managerial decision ever of playing him RB!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:07 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Old amber wrote:Flitcroft was a good manager, the best we have had in long time,ok he failed or should I say the players did,my memory

The last dozen or so games where we needed a few points to crawl over the line you could see the change in tactics. We stopped the high press and dropped 15 yards deeper in ' the hope' we'd pick up the point or two required, all under his instructions.
The only one of those games where I thought , oh good we are pressing at high tempo again we thumped Morecambe, then we stopped again???

Gazza says the bad run coincided with Rose getting injured, I say it was when MacDonald returned from injury and played in every rotten game culminating in the worst managerial decision ever of playing him RB!!!!

Well you’d be wrong then Woody. We averaged 1.6pts per game following Maccas return in the games he started, compared with 0.88pts in the games he didn’t start following his return. He also only started 5 out of 13 league games following his return.

Those stats eh....
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:23 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Well you’d be wrong then Woody. We averaged 1.6pts per game following Maccas return in the games he started, compared with 0.88pts in the games he didn’t start following his return. He also only started 5 out of 13 league games following his return.

Those stats eh....

:lol: :lol: yes we love em
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:41 am

Dave Smith: 1975-76 season first 27 games: 4 8 15, the remaining ones 19 12 7 0 (although DS left with four games left of that season). End of that season: Promotion form
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 am

Only an idiot would deny that we are in a better place now than when Flitcroft was managing.

We clearly are not.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:32 am

Dan wrote:Oh yes we did! So he failed even more than we all realised! :lol: :D

Yes we know JR said he had a top 3 budget, but when the figures were released it turns out he didn't. It's very hard for Chairmen to know how their wage budget compares as of course the financial performance for that year is not released until a while later. I think it was Darren who looked at the figures when they were released ..... but to be honest life is too short for me to trawl through the never ending DF debates to find them ;) Anyway, it matters not, I don't think he should come back and we have another relegation battle to look forward too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 am

Unpopular opinion it seems but I reckon we won’t be in a relegation battle, crazy I know for a team that’s not won since March :D

It’s likely to still be disappointing though!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:41 am

Rob wrote:

Yes we know JR said he had a top 3 budget, but when the figures were released it turns out he didn't. It's very hard for Chairmen to know how their wage budget compares as of course the financial performance for that year is not released until a while later. I think it was Darren who looked at the figures when they were released ..... but to be honest life is too short for me to trawl through the never ending DF debates to find them ;) Anyway, it matters not, I don't think he should come back and we have another relegation battle to look forward too.

What? You have finally clocked on DF he is history. There is more chance of flopfail with his huge budget compared to most stags managers of recent time, being next manager of Mansfield Town FC than the UK has of still being in Europe next year. It has about fifteen zeros to one of a bookies chance or three fifths of flock all.
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby James » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:16 am

The UK will still be in Europe next year, but won’t be a member of the European Union.

Sooo, maybe Flitcroft is coming back?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:41 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:
Rob wrote:

What? You have finally clocked on DF he is history. There is more chance of flopfail with his huge budget compared to most stags managers of recent time, being next manager of Mansfield Town FC than the UK has of still being in Europe next year. It has about fifteen zeros to one of a bookies chance or three fifths of flock all.

We will still be in Europe next year :lol: I have never said I want DF back, I have always said we were wrong to sack him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Get anybody in,absolutely clueless garbage tonight
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 pm

What we’d do now for a 5000 following with a chance of going up.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:33 pm

Maybe we should go for dearden, or cox.

They both got us promoted and didn’t choke
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 pm

I bet there's some cracking quotes from a few year ago when everyone wanted flitcroft gone.

Not for me thanks.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:38 pm

Can't have Flitcroft back. I mean fourth in the league, what an absolute failure.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Can't have Flitcroft back. I mean fourth in the league, what an absolute failure.

And we're just assuming he would want to come back? We're in a poor position, there's now a wage cap and he wouldn't have the war chest to spend which he had before and would have to work with these players or try to get rid of some which would not be easy.

We have to look forward, not backwards.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:41 pm

adamstag wrote:Maybe we should go for dearden, or cox.

Tonight is what you vote for Adam
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:43 pm

yorkstag wrote:

Tonight is what you vote for Adam

No, I voted for beef and mustard walkers but was outvoted by the cheese and chive.

The raspberry.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:45 pm

I doubt JR would swallow his pride and admit to being wrong to sacking him by offering him his job back, I personally would love it if he returns.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:52 pm

lifestags wrote:I doubt JR would swallow his pride and admit to being wrong to sacking him by offering him his job back, I personally would love it if he returns.

Or he believes as I do that he was correct to sack him, has no pride to swallow, and would never offer him his job back.. ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm

Errr, Dearden didn't get us promoted...

I'd sooner have Evans back than Flitcroft.

Ideally we need someone young, hungry, who wants modern football. Someone with ideas who can be a bit different, enthuse the squad. No idea who that is and they probably don't have much experience...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:01 pm

Ask Lincoln for ideas , they know the answer how to recruit.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum