{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Get Flicker in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Get Flicker in

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
The DF lovers go on and on about his style of football and he just lost a few games.
It was not always the players fault we did not get enough points to win promotion, it was the DFs live match decisions that cost us dozens of points. Early in the season in October 2018 his decision making was negative and expensive and cost us dearly. Anybody supporting stags at the Bury away game that finished 2-2 will remember his tactics. To remind those with a tainted memory stags were winning 1-2 with seven minutes of normal time to play. DF takes off Danny rose having earlier took off Tyler walker leaving us with no strikers on the pitch AT ALL and playing an 11 man defense. Not surprisingly we lost the three points to a late Maynard equaliser that a two year old child could see coming. We were not playing good fluid football and it was not a pleasure to watch. I know i was there and witnessed the fans reaction leaving the ground. We were 11 games into the season and fans were not happy with DF and his crap tactics. Nothing changes really does it. Its MTFC and league two get used to it and forget DF for good.

Great post completely agree. What a lot of people on here don't realise is that the reasons for it failing was all down to the manager and his Bertie bigbollocks attitude towards players. People can choose to believe it or not but I always judge a manager by what his players say about him when he is sacked. You have a look at how many were 'sorry' to see him go. Clue, it'll take you a while to find more than one! And I also know for a fact that JR spoke to the players before making his decision as well.

Just because we're in a mess at the moment people are romanticising about a double failure. It's like someone giving you two lottery tickets, one with 3 numbers on and one with 2 numbers. One might be slightly better than the other but it's not worth having either of them at the end of the day!
So to sum up Dan, you don't rate DF then. :D

:lol: No mate!

To be honest I did for a while. I think it was Morecambe at home when we won 4-0? I came out of the ground absolutely buzzing, the football was brilliant, the atmosphere was brilliant, I was convinced this was our season. Then the Notts County game! That was extremely disturbing. I found out during the week that DF had been having bust ups during training and that worried me. Then as we saw we had a few other half decent results but the damage had seemingly been done. Once you lose the dressing room it's very hard to get it back. And he'd lost it just like he had when he first came in. Sad really because had we gone up I think he may have still been here and we'd be in League One. But he's behaved like this at every club. I did warn people on here when he first came in that it would happen as it happened at Barnsley. Anyone who drops Bobby Hassell from the entire squad (when he was club captain) clearly has got a problem!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
The DF lovers go on and on about his style of football and he just lost a few games.
It was not always the players fault we did not get enough points to win promotion, it was the DFs live match decisions that cost us dozens of points. Early in the season in October 2018 his decision making was negative and expensive and cost us dearly. Anybody supporting stags at the Bury away game that finished 2-2 will remember his tactics. To remind those with a tainted memory stags were winning 1-2 with seven minutes of normal time to play. DF takes off Danny rose having earlier took off Tyler walker leaving us with no strikers on the pitch AT ALL and playing an 11 man defense. Not surprisingly we lost the three points to a late Maynard equaliser that a two year old child could see coming. We were not playing good fluid football and it was not a pleasure to watch. I know i was there and witnessed the fans reaction leaving the ground. We were 11 games into the season and fans were not happy with DF and his crap tactics. Nothing changes really does it. Its MTFC and league two get used to it and forget DF for good.

Great post completely agree. What a lot of people on here don't realise is that the reasons for it failing was all down to the manager and his Bertie bigbollocks attitude towards players. People can choose to believe it or not but I always judge a manager by what his players say about him when he is sacked. You have a look at how many were 'sorry' to see him go. Clue, it'll take you a while to find more than one! And I also know for a fact that JR spoke to the players before making his decision as well.

Just because we're in a mess at the moment people are romanticising about a double failure. It's like someone giving you two lottery tickets, one with 3 numbers on and one with 2 numbers. One might be slightly better than the other but it's not worth having either of them at the end of the day!

To be honest I did for a while. I think it was Morecambe at home when we won 4-0? I came out of the ground absolutely buzzing, the football was brilliant, the atmosphere was brilliant, I was convinced this was our season. Then the Notts County game! That was extremely disturbing. I found out during the week that DF had been having bust ups during training and that worried me. Then as we saw we had a few other half decent results but the damage had seemingly been done. Once you lose the dressing room it's very hard to get it back. And he'd lost it just like he had when he first came in. Sad really because had we gone up I think he may have still been here and we'd be in League One. But he's behaved like this at every club. I did warn people on here when he first came in that it would happen as it happened at Barnsley. Anyone who drops Bobby Hassell from the entire squad (when he was club captain) clearly has got a problem!

For what it's worth I think it would be a mistake to have him back.
I still think it was a massive mistake to sack him. We all see things differently. However, we all have the club at heart. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:

For what it's worth I think it would be a mistake to have him back.
I still think it was a massive mistake to sack him. We all see things differently. However, we all have the club at heart. :)

I don't think he'd even come close to what he achieved a second time... As said before he had players he knew he could work with and build a side around. He wouldn't have that this time but would have the pressure to quickly deliver the same football at our peak under him. Got to move on unfortunately.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:26 pm

I’m in the “Liked DF” camp so to speak, but you should never ever look back. That’s history and would be a terrible decision to bring him back. There’s also far better out there!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Considering how poor he was with Steve Evans squad this is a crazy thing to say, I think that would make our chances of relegation much higher.

I was always indifferent to sacking DF, I didn’t see the point at the time, considering we replaced him with somebody who had no right to be given that job - but we must move on, but sadly I do t think it will untill we become half decent again!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Conker wrote:Considering how poor he was with Steve Evans squad this is a crazy thing to say, I think that would make our chances of relegation much higher.

I was always indifferent to sacking DF, I didn’t see the point at the time, considering we replaced him with somebody who had no right to be given that job - but we must move on, but sadly I do t think it will untill we become half decent again!
At the moment the chances of relegation are high with the manager we have.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:Considering how poor he was with Steve Evans squad this is a crazy thing to say, I think that would make our chances of relegation much higher.

At the moment the chances of relegation are high with the manager we have.

And would be higher bringing in a manager that came in to this club and turned promotion winning form to relegation.

I don’t have favourites Andy, DF was a failure and as things stand so is GC.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Makes me chuckle that some of our fans are so entitled that a play off position is failure :lol: :lol:

Evans lied, get over it. We had no God given rights to anything that season. Evans rocked the boat by leaving and we capsized. Form doesn't last forever, Evans jumped, he wasn't pushed.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Flitcroft choked and failed.

It’s done, get over it.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:30 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Makes me chuckle that some of our fans are so entitled that a play off position is failure :lol: :lol:

Evans lied, get over it. We had no God given rights to anything that season. Evans rocked the boat by leaving and we capsized. Form doesn't last forever, Evans jumped, he wasn't pushed.

Absolutely, I wonder how many Stags fans would take a season of promotion challenge and a play off place instead of a relegation battle? I suspect Adam is happy to be bottom 4, but most would rather we be where we were 18 months and two managers ago. You get nowhere by constantly changing manager.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:02 am

gazza1988 wrote:Makes me chuckle that some of our fans are so entitled that a play off position is failure :lol: :lol:.

It was a failure. From the position we were in, with the most expensive budget ever given to a manager to then completely implode and bottle it like he did (again) is failure. No one is doubting that it was better than it is now, hardly surprising when we haven’t got a player on five grand a week like Flitcroft had. But to keep harping on about how good it was just because it’s crap now is being in complete denial.

Not sure why you had to bring Evans into it yet again though as this thread is about Flitcroft, even though what you said was true. Let it go.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:44 am

Well said dan
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 am

It may very well be a failure but it by far the closest we've come to not failing. So Flitcroft will come up time and again until we succeed.

By the way I didn't bring Evans up initially so I don't think it's me you should be saying to "let it go" Conker brought Evans up, I just responded to that.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 am

gazza1988 wrote:It may very well be a failure but it by far the closest we've come to not failing. So Flitcroft will come up time and again until we succeed.

By the way I didn't bring Evans up initially so I don't think it's me you should be saying to "let it go" Conker brought Evans up, I just responded to that.

He said Steve Evans squad which was a valid point as Flitcroft completely destroyed that too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 am

You said I was correct about Steve Evans so mine is a valid point too. End of the day Evans did nothing whilst here and DF got us play offs. We should have kept DF on. Those who wanted DF gone are now either regretting that decision or are just doubling down on 8th and then 4th are failures. Usually because Steve Evans said so and Steve Evans was a great manager who 100% would have got us promoted that season because he's Steve Evans or whatever tripe they choose.

Facts are Evans failed, Flitcroft slightly failed, Dempster failed hard and GC is spectacularly failing.

We 100% should not go back to old managers, I just reiterate that DF shouldn't have gone in the first place.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:33 am

gazza1988 wrote:You said I was correct about Steve Evans so mine is a valid point too. End of the day Evans did nothing whilst here and DF got us play offs. We should have kept DF on. Those who wanted DF gone are now either regretting that decision or are just doubling down on 8th and then 4th are failures. Usually because Steve Evans said so and Steve Evans was a great manager who 100% would have got us promoted that season because he's Steve Evans or whatever tripe they choose.

Facts are Evans failed, Flitcroft slightly failed, Dempster failed hard and GC is spectacularly failing.

We 100% should not go back to old managers, I just reiterate that DF shouldn't have gone in the first place.

:lol: :lol: Deluded.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am

Deluded? 12th is failure. 8th then 4th is improvement but still failure so only slightly. Dempster had us down the bottom end a big failure and GC has us not winning in 10 games and failing spectacularly.

What's so hard to understand? Or is it because I said DF, whom you hate, didn't fail as hard as your football managing God, Evans?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:45 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Evans left to go to a club in a higher division. Flitcroft was sacked for leaving us in the same position Evans did. They’re facts. You clearly refuse to see them & that’s why you’re deluded. Evans is still in a job in the same division. What’s your messiah doing considering he’s such a better manager than Evans is?! ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 am

Not even worth a debate, everything points to one being better than the other. If you can’t work out who then you definitely are unable to look at it fairly.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:22 am

Conker wrote:Not even worth a debate, everything points to one being better than the other. If you can’t work out who then you definitely are unable to look at it fairly.

Well said.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:39 am

I'm talking about better for us. I have no doubts that Evans is a good manager overall. I'm saying for us he wasn't as good for us as Flitcroft was. Evans is the more experienced manager which works in his favour for jobs. There are more managers out there than there are jobs. What you are doing is making out I think Evans is just an awful manager when for us he's the 2nd best in recent times.

Serious question, if GC is sacked would you immediately discount all the managers out of work because they are out of work? In fact I'd rather we went for a manager out of work because we would then not have to pay a club compensation.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am

gazza1988 wrote:I'm talking about better for us. I have no doubts that Evans is a good manager overall. I'm saying for us he wasn't as good for us as Flitcroft was. Evans is the more experienced manager which works in his favour for jobs. There are more managers out there than there are jobs. What you are doing is making out I think Evans is just an awful manager when for us he's the 2nd best in recent times.

Serious question, if GC is sacked would you immediately discount all the managers out of work because they are out of work? In fact I'd rather we went for a manager out of work because we would then not have to pay a club compensation.

And you would be wrong as the win % stats/facts would tell you that Evans was the better manager for us (not opinion).

No I wouldn't.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:00 am

It's down to the Board to hope Coughlin can pull us away from relegation risk or make a change

He looks and sounds a defeated man and you suspect that is effecting the players confidence. Two lucky wins and all will change.

The Board were responsible for appointing Dempster and giving no support, appointing Coughlin on the back of one seasons success, appointing Sharpe on his trading record in the transfer market who sold our best two players. So lets not put all the blame on Coughlin.

Forget the promotion chase and give him four more games to get some solid results. Relegation would be down to the Board but they are not going to take responsiblity.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:02 am

All valid point on flicker on both sides. The fact remains, he did so much to boost the morale around the club and get us playing some exciting football which fans couldnt wait to pay to watch. I think another season he'd have cracked it. I guess we'll never know, but i'd much rather we'd been given that extra season then witness what we have since he's left
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:03 am

sunray wrote:It's down to the Board to hope Coughlin can pull us away from relegation risk or make a change

He looks and sounds a defeated man and you suspect that is effecting the players confidence. Two lucky wins and all will change.

The Board were responsible for appointing Dempster and giving no support, appointing Coughlin on the back of one seasons success, appointing Sharpe on his trading record in the transfer market who sold our best two players. So lets not put all the blame on Coughlin.

Forget the promotion chase and give him four more games to get some solid results. Relegation would be down to the Board but they are not going to take responsiblity.

I seriously have no words for this.
James
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum