{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Morecambe thread sponsored by give me sunshine(kickoff 6.30)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Morecambe thread sponsored by give me sunshine(kickoff 6

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
So were Cook and Charsley in the first few games, what happened to them???

They were dropped after a negative result.

If he wants to play wingers, he can’t drop Gordon IMO. I think Menayese or Rawson will be dropped for Benning (if fit) and Perch or Maris will come out for Lapslie.

And yet nearly everyone agreed they were the two to come out with credit or don't your stats show that?

No one can second guess GC at the moment as he's desperately trying to get lift off.

His 3 constants of Menayese, Rawson and Sweeney have been the worst 3 so far (cone accepted) and he never waivers from them?

I’m not saying they had performed poorly, but they play in an area of the pitch where the manager had other options after a winless first three games. Both Cook and Charsley missed very good chances in the Exeter game, following which they were dropped to give Maynard and Reid a chance to impress, unlike the defenders where he only has one other option to play centre back when he was playing 3 at the back.

One of those would not have played last night had Benning been fit.

Also why do you keep mentioning stats all the time when replying to me? Is it supposed to be funny?
So what does he do now after ten competative winless games ?

I assume he will have considered last night to be a positive result, so IMO he’ll either keep the same team, or keep the same shape and make minor changes to try and get the win.

Cheltenham will be a lot tougher. They’ve only conceded goals in 2 of 7 league games. As I said last night, in normal circumstances a draw would probably be seen as a decent result, but in the circumstances it won’t be good enough.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:29 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I thought we had a spell of about 25 mins in the first half where we looked really decent. Sweeney missed an absolute sitter, the wingers were putting some really good balls into the box and the goal was really well worked.

I thought we were going to go for the jugular in the second half, but I can't remember a serious attempt on goal? We gave them control of the game and then he brought Bowery on which was a clear signal of intent.

The line up tells us that he has lost faith in his own system. A CB played RB and only one up top after signing enough strikers to play two regularly.

On the face of it a draw away at Morcambe on a wet tuesday night should be considered a reasonable result, but in the context of our season so far, GC's win ratio and the way we are set up to play, simply reinforces my view that he is not the man for the job.

That shows how far we have fallen.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I thought we had a spell of about 25 mins in the first half where we looked really decent. Sweeney missed an absolute sitter, the wingers were putting some really good balls into the box and the goal was really well worked.

I thought we were going to go for the jugular in the second half, but I can't remember a serious attempt on goal? We gave them control of the game and then he brought Bowery on which was a clear signal of intent.

The line up tells us that he has lost faith in his own system. A CB played RB and only one up top after signing enough strikers to play two regularly.

On the face of it a draw away at Morcambe on a wet tuesday night should be considered a reasonable result, but in the context of our season so far, GC's win ratio and the way we are set up to play, simply reinforces my view that he is not the man for the job.

That shows how far we have fallen.

Completely wrong Dan, the term you ought to be using is ‘plummeted’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Rob wrote:Andy, have a trawl back to when he was appointed and take a look at the supporters reaction to his appointment. At that time I think most thought he was a good choice, quite different to when JD was appointed, which most felt was the wrong one.

Amber Andy: "Not in my eyes. It was rushed. Maybe the Bristol Rovers thing was a fluke. A bit like the guy with the same initials Gary Cauldwell. Didn't he have a bit of success with Wigan. Then went to Cheaterfield and was part of their demise. Hopefully when the time comes the next appointment will be more consideted"

I posted this on another thread:

Nobody can blame JR and Carolyn for appointing GC as manager. He was 4th in League 1 and had just beaten Ipswich Town away. He had a win rate of 44.64% (P56 W25 D18 L13). Mansfield have never appointed a manager from that high in the league before. The likes of Nathan Jones and Paul Tisdale had also already turned us down.

I would always prefer to interview the best candidates but I think even with interviews GC would probably have got the job. He does have the gift of the gab. I think most of us do like him and want him to succeed. His post match assessments are probably the most honest of any Stags manager. On paper, he was a very good appointment but it has just not worked out to date. The only quibble would have been his direct playing style but the Cowleys, Steve Evans, Gareth Ainsworth and Keith Curle have all done well with a similar style. He also only had 56 games as a manager under his belt but Richie Wellens, Ryan Lowe, Neal Ardley and Gary Rowett were all inexperienced managers.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36645
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Rob wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Makes me feel sick seeing how well Lincoln are doing (another win for them tonight). A properly run football club unlike us.

We are an extremely well run football club, we now own our own ground, have outstanding training facilities and one of the highest wage budgets in the division. I suggest you are talking utter crap. Now if you wish to say that it was a big mistake by our owners to sack a manager who finished 4th then I'd agree. If you say Dempsters appointment was wrong, I'd agree. On paper GC was a good appointment but to date it's not worked out. So are we a poorly run club, absolutely not, have the owners made a couple of bad decisions, yes.

Lincoln have had 2 manager's in 6 years, go figure why they are doing well ......
Rob how "on paper" was GC a good appointment ?

He had little management experience and it shows.

His tactics are basic, his team selection is bizarre and his game management is poor to say the least.

Obviously must have been in hibernation for last few months since wage cap came in as all budgets are same for everybody so your talking crap again. DF was rightly sacked for blowing auto promotion in the opinion of JR of course and its his opinion that matter most. Hope GC turns this around and gets us moving up the table but im not expecting getting promoted this season or relegated either. JD started with a poor team and alot of deadwood has now been cleared out and a few bad apples as well. That type of disruption does not go away overnight even with a dozen new players coming in. Given time our results can pick up but changing manager now will make it worse again. Stick with it the signs are getting better cos they reached rock bottom and the only way is up from here.

I assume you do not understand what a wage cap is? I'll explain it for you, it is a maximum amount a club can spend on wages - many clubs will not be able to afford this maximum amount, many will be much lower. Clearly, therefore, there will still be clubs with larger wage budgets, though of course there might be quite a few at the top end who all have the same budget. Got it? Probably not.

Anybody who believes that CG has a wage budget anywhere near the amount Evans and DF squandered must have straw sticking out the ears Rob.
I do not know for sure but i would wager its about half of what previous managers had when we were paying for Walker Mellis Macca Ect and failing to get us promoted. I would guess that the club are spending every penny of the 1.5M wage cap on our current squad as are 80% of the teams in league 2 probably. We will be spending more on keeping Cook and Maynard which is why we are running on a lighter squad in numbers and a younger average age group as they tend to be cheaper to pay. So yes I think I do know what a wage cap means to our club and the constraints that is putting on GC.
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:19 pm

Part time pete it is fred day , get to stay on after a draw .

Can you push it to a win Saturday ;) Jobs a goodun :thumbup:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:30 pm

DF probably had the most expensive Mansfield squad ever assembled, although he had some Steve Evans players to add to that problem.

I doubt GC budget is near DF or Evans, but he’s clearly still massively underachieving with the squad he has thus far.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Graham Coughlan will still have a big playing budget which will be a lot higher than the salary cap of around £1.3 million after national insurance contributions are taken into account.

Mal Benning, Ryan Sweeney, Andy Cook, Kellan Gordon, Harry Charsley, Marek Stech, Jordan Bowery, Ollie Clarke, Jamie Reid, George Maris, Farrend Rawson and Rollin Menayese were all signed before the salary cap deadline and so only count as £1,300 per week for the salary cap but they will be earning a lot more.

It's possible that Harry Charsley could be on less than £1,300 per week as a young lad with no league experience but he could have been on decent money at Everton.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Conker wrote:DF probably had the most expensive Mansfield squad ever assembled, although he had some Steve Evans players to add to that problem.

I doubt GC budget is near DF or Evans, but he’s clearly still massively underachieving with the squad he has thus far.

The players that DF signed were more expensive than Steve Evans' players and DF used to moan that JR would not spend more money. He achieved promotion at Bury but he spent a huge amount of money that helped to bankrupt them.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Conker wrote:DF probably had the most expensive Mansfield squad ever assembled, although he had some Steve Evans players to add to that problem.

The players that DF signed were more expensive than Steve Evans' players and DF used to moan that JR would not spend more money. He achieved promotion at Bury but he spent a huge amount of money that helped to bankrupt them.

In fairness to DF, a manager will always ask for more, it’s not for the manager to produce the budget.

Sadly DF achieved promotion for bury, but achieved the impossible and didn’t get Mansfield promoted in 2 successive seasons - despite the odds being spectacularly in his favour, and him once being 11 points clear of 4th place - he still managed to not get promoted in either season- almost impossible yet he managed to achieve it.

With the budget at his deposal, possibly the biggest failure in Mansfield history.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:25 pm

adamstag wrote:

In fairness to DF, a manager will always ask for more, it’s not for the manager to produce the budget.

Sadly DF achieved promotion for bury, but achieved the impossible and didn’t get Mansfield promoted in 2 successive seasons - despite the odds being spectacularly in his favour, him not getting promoted in either season was almost impossible yet he managed to achieve it.

That will haunt me forever the look on his face when Tyler Walker missed that penalty :banghead:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:23 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:Anybody who believes that CG has a wage budget anywhere near the amount Evans and DF squandered must have straw sticking out the ears Rob.
I do not know for sure but i would wager its about half of what previous managers had when we were paying for Walker Mellis Macca Ect and failing to get us promoted. I would guess that the club are spending every penny of the 1.5M wage cap on our current squad as are 80% of the teams in league 2 probably. We will be spending more on keeping Cook and Maynard which is why we are running on a lighter squad in numbers and a younger average age group as they tend to be cheaper to pay. So yes I think I do know what a wage cap means to our club and the constraints that is putting on GC.

So quite clearly you do not understand the concept of a wage cap. Of course GC has a lower budget than Evans or Flitcroft, they did not have a wage cap, but he still has a competitive advantage over most of League 2. DF had a top 7 budget but not a top 3 budget, we finished 4th - he also had very expensive Evans flops to deal with. I do not know where GC's budget sits, but I suspect it is certainly top half, probably top 7 like DF. There are many clubs in League 2 who dream of a £1.3M wage budget, for us it is a constraint. We are punching well below our weight and have done so since the stupid decision to sack a manager who finished in our highest league position in 15 years. Of course Adam and others will continue to protest that they were right, when did anyone truly admit they were wrong, but even you have to admit that since his sacking the results and quality of football have plummeted.

Fact is you get nowhere by sacking managers every 6-12 months and we will not achieve any success if we continue to do so. I think we need to stick with GC through these thin times and see where it gets us, there is no guarantee that any new man will do better with the same players so it is clearly sensible to give the current manager a bit more time. I predicted we'd be 13th this season based on the fact that a new manager needs time to develop his squad, it took Dearden 2 seasons to build one of the best Stags sides ever.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 pm

adamstag wrote:

Sadly DF achieved promotion for bury, but achieved the impossible and didn’t get Mansfield promoted in 2 successive seasons - despite the odds being spectacularly in his favour, and him once being 11 points clear of 4th place - he still managed to not get promoted in either season- almost impossible yet he managed to achieve it.

With the budget at his deposal, possibly the biggest failure in Mansfield history.

I often wonder if you believe the utter tripe you write :lol: He got our side to our highest league position in 15 years, his side played football which those of us who saw it really enjoyed and since his wrongful sacking we have fallen like a stone. You are full of hyperbole but empty in fact. You were wrong and it has cost us at least two season of utter misery.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:01 pm

I would guess that the only clubs in League 2 who have a bigger playing budget than the Stags are Salford City, Bolton Wanderers and Bradford City.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:Menayese again...when is he going to realise this man is a liability!

The Mansfield defenders mainly responsible for the goal were James Perch who let Adam Phillips run straight past him into the area to score and Farrend Rawson who let Phillips run in behind him. Rawson was too busy watching the ball and not the man. Ryan Sweeney should also have stopped Cole Stockton's cross coming into the area.

All the Mansfield defenders made big errors during the game last night. Corey O'Keeffe and Farrend Rawson made two each.

Rollin Menayese is never a right back although he did manage to feed Kellan Gordon a few times in the first half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Sedgwick wrote:headed over by sweeny from a yard out

How did Ryan Sweeney miss that one? Golden opportunity.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Those who were doubting Kellan is a winger are quiet :lol:

Kellan was clearly never a defender :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:33 pm

Conker wrote:Morecambe commo are great, sound like two blokes down the pub.

The Morecambe commentators are quite entertaining. They just sit there cracking jokes and thinking up terrible puns.

The Morecambe post match interviews are also very good on You Tube.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:00 am

I think it’s likely DF budget was more top 4 than top 7.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:02 am

Conker wrote:I think it’s likely DF budget was more top 4 than top 7.

JR said it was in the top three at the time.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:21 am

Dan wrote:

I'm pretty sure that when the clubs finances were revealed not that long ago it was a top 7 but not top 3 budget - maybe 4th at a push, which oddly is where we finished. As I am sure you can imagine Dan, it was a point I was keen to make ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:34 am

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:

I'm pretty sure that when the clubs finances were revealed not that long ago it was a top 7 but not top 3 budget - maybe 4th at a push, which oddly is where we finished. As I am sure you can imagine Dan, it was a point I was keen to make ;)

:lol: I had noticed mate. The only reason I said that is because I distinctively remember JR saying we'd got a top 3 budget so he was expecting promotion/to smash the league I think the phrase was. Maybe Martin can clear it up for us.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum