{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

GC gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: GC out

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:21 pm

spanishstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Currently, there is no such thing as "home advantage".

Grass is just grass without spectators.

True and I would add, if you have a good team and are confident, even that becomes less relevant. I definitely think we are seeing a little of this with the Stags. No confidence whatsoever!!!

So man utd in the fa cup ,the 3 sided one call,or the theatre of dreams ,of course theres a difference

Not without fans Spanish!!! It could be said in reverse. It would be slightly harder for Man United to win at Field Mill if the ground was full, however when empty there’s not even a slight bit of intimidation for that bigger side. The stats back it up. With no fans, more teams are getting points away from home regardless where it is. The players have also said there’s a lot less pressure and the games feel slightly training ground like.

We must agree to disagree cwm ,stats can be made to distort truth we all know that :lol:

We must Spanish. Stats can distort the truth, I will give you that but the only stat I really care about is that our club doesn’t get relegated!!!
You’ve got more faith GC will achieve that, than me.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 pm

Relegation is a dark cloud cast by non believers ,trust me cwm its not going to happen
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 pm

In fact as carolyn,says ,this time next year radders :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm

spanishstag wrote:Yes they can he was brought in to make sure we were not relegated ,he succeeded ,target this season to improve on last season ,he will probably achieve that as well ,ah stats are wonderful

He was brought in to make sure we weren't relegated. Weighted points made sure of that.

Shall we see?

Dempster was sacked on 14th December 2019, the season ended in March 2020. I'm only counting games that were actually played. The weighted ones are half Dempster's results too.

Dempster position 18th, played 21, won 5, drew 7 and lost 9 points 22 (https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... mber-2019/ for the table at that point)

Coughlan played 15 won 4, drew 4, lost 7 and points 16 (https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... pril-2020/ table when football stopped.)

His remit was to avoid relegation, Dempster got a ppg of 1.04, Coughlan got 1.06. Neither record is good enough for 50 points in a season.

Answer me this is his remit to avoid relegation again? Because so far his ppg is 0.19 points per game. Rounding up we are on course for 9 points for the entire season.
We are 1 of 3 clubs yet to win this season. Let's hope barrow and Southend don't win either or we are stuffed.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Yes they can he was brought in to make sure we were not relegated ,he succeeded ,target this season to improve on last season ,he will probably achieve that as well ,ah stats are wonderful

He was brought in to make sure we weren't relegated. Weighted points made sure of that.

Shall we see?

Dempster was sacked on 14th December 2019, the season ended in March 2020. I'm only counting games that were actually played. The weighted ones are half Dempster's results too.

Dempster position 18th, played 21, won 5, drew 7 and lost 9 points 22 (https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... mber-2019/ for the table at that point)

Coughlan played 15 won 4, drew 4, lost 7 and points 16 (https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/lea ... pril-2020/ table when football stopped.)

His remit was to avoid relegation, Dempster got a ppg of 1.04, Coughlan got 1.06. Neither record is good enough for 50 points in a season.

Answer me this is his remit to avoid relegation again? Because so far his ppg is 0.19 points per game. Rounding up we are on course for 9 points for the entire season.
We are 1 of 3 clubs yet to win this season. Let's hope barrow and Southend don't win either or we are stuffed.

His remit is to improve our club ,last season we finished too near the bottom ,i would back us to be mid table at least come the end of the season ,its all relative ,job done imo
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:09 pm

oldweststander wrote:Currently, there is no such thing as "home advantage".

Grass is just grass without spectators.

Isn’t the players familiarity with our pitch an advantage ?
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Shall we see?

Going well until you got carried away.

If we don’t win we are stuffed, but it’s going to come - it will do for Barrow and Southend too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm

spanishstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Shall we see?

His remit is to improve our club ,last season we finished too near the bottom ,i would back us to be mid table at least come the end of the season ,its all relative ,job done imo

Really gazza its a bit like saying liverpool flopped when they were runners up to city did they win the league no ,did they have a great season? objective
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm

spanishstag wrote:target this season to improve on last season ,he will probably achieve that as well ,ah stats are wonderful

I'll bite.. so what exwctly are you basing this latest claim on then? 4 wins in 25+ games? 0 wins from 7 this season. Maybe it's our rock solid defence, oh wait. OK how about our free flowing play and accuracy in front of goal, oh wait.

And you know what his remit is because??? JR rang and told you? Its obvious we've got ambitious owners who want promotion. Yhe sacked DF for 4th place. You think his remit is just an improvement on last year. Top trolling chap.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Jamie wrote:
spanishstag wrote:target this season to improve on last season ,he will probably achieve that as well ,ah stats are wonderful

I'll bite.. so what exwctly are you basing this latest claim on then? 4 wins in 25+ games? 0 wins from 7 this season. Maybe it's our rock solid defence, oh wait. OK how about our free flowing play and accuracy in front of goal, oh wait.

No im basing it on we didnt get relegated last season ,objective achieved ,this seasons objective is to improve ,i think we will mid table is achievable ,style of play was not mentioned as far as im aware , if you want to see fast free flowing football i think you have chosen the wrong club
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:34 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

No im basing it on we didnt get relegated last season ,objective achieved ,this seasons objective is to improve ,i think we will mid table is achievable ,style of play was not mentioned as far as im aware , if you want to see fast free flowing football i think you have chosen the wrong club

I’d love to know what JR’s objectives are for GC. I imagine it isn’t finish a place higher than last season. I’d say at least a play off spot.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:36 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

I’d love to know what JR’s objectives are for GC. I imagine it isn’t finish a place higher than last season. I’d say at least a play off spot.

They said it when he was appointed ,they wanted to see an improvement
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:07 pm

spanishstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

They said it when he was appointed ,they wanted to see an improvement

Where is this improvement you speak of? I want to see it but I can't.

Let's update his league table with this seasons table so far

Played 22 won 4, drew 8 and lost 10. Points 20.

Dempster got sacked for getting 22 points in 21 games. GC has achieved 20 points in 22 game. Dempster had 1 transfer window GC has had 2.

So again where is the improvement? In every measurable way GC has been worse.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:41 am

When GC gets us promoted from the National League in 2023/24 he will be a hero

Joking apart give the guy four more games to get a couple of wins and give the team confidence. So far he and Sharpe have been a disaster for the club. Presumably a DoF (with a different title) gives advise and help to the manager. No wins in four games sack both of them.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 pm

We seem to be collectively quite good at saying who ought to be sacked but surely that's an expensive job and therefore a matter for the person doing the paying (ie JR and CR). Now we've added the CEO to the list and presumably that will bring the total bill to the best part of a few hundred k (I'm assuming 12 months notice for the CEO and 18 months for GC, but who knows). And also remember a new manager brings his own team and so the costs go wider than GC.

We may all have a view, and I don't like watching this more than anyone else, but with the club (presumably) running at a loss and a global pandemic going on and no crowds for a while yet, and his wallet already being severely called upon I'd have some sympathy with JR wanting to hang on for a while yet. And yes he'll have to accept the potential consequences (eg potential relegation) but that's his and the board's decision and that's what comes with owning and running the club.

There's also some stuff been said about GC having clauses in his contract about being fired around where we are in the table. That sounds wishful thinking too. Yes, maybe, if you are taking on someone unemployed, but I can't imagine GC having agreed to that, given (I assume) he was approached by us. He was manager of a club fourth in League One and was being approached by a club near the bottom of League Two. I do not know the terms but I'd be surprised if he'd have entertained being sacked as a result of league positions. I'd have thought he might have held the better hand in the negotiations and hindsight is always great. I accept he wanted a club closer to home.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Vice President » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Regarding PPG calculations for this season. I fear that the season will be cut short and that we need to be getting some wins quickly.
GC’s negative tactics at Morecambe, when we should have tried to go for a win has only further convinced me that we will draw and lose more games than we will win.
This team hasn’t got a winning mentality - and that’s why we cannot afford to wait too long.
If we don’t pick up a win in the next two games, it would be irresponsible to just sit and wait under the circumstances.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Jr and Cr live and die by their decisions. So far, when they have learned their lesson, they've learnt it the hard way. They are learning this lesson the even harder way. They have to appoint a manager with credentials next. Last 2 have been a disaster. This one compounding the failures of the last.

If the only reason we got GC from BRFC was because it's an easier commute then more fool us. We shouldn't have wanted him on those grounds alone because apart from a little purple patch at The Gas, he hasn't done anything in management. I do know how the world works and if he was being successful it wouldn't matter 1 jot, but he's not, so I'd rather now, in hindsight, say I want a manager who wants the job for footballing reasons. Not so he can be home in time for tea.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Jr and Cr live and die by their decisions. So far, when they have learned their lesson, they've learnt it the hard way. They are learning this lesson the even harder way. They have to appoint a manager with credentials next. Last 2 have been a disaster. This one compounding the failures of the last.

If the only reason we got GC from BRFC was because it's an easier commute then more fool us. We shouldn't have wanted him on those grounds alone because apart from a little purple patch at The Gas, he hasn't done anything in management. I do know how the world works and if he was being successful it wouldn't matter 1 jot, but he's not, so I'd rather now, in hindsight, say I want a manager who wants the job for footballing reasons. Not so he can be home in time for tea.

Hello AWC - If you are referring to my last bit what I meant was that he may have wanted to come to us for that reason, which might have meant we could negotiate a better deal than otherwise. Not that we recruited him for that reason, which I agree would be odd.
My point wasn't so much whether they should sack him, more that it's their money and their decision. Let's face it they aren't going to ask us to pay for it. I accept we buy tickets but that's entirely our choice.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Had two texts tonight off two people that dont know each other telling me hes gone

I dont believe it btw just seems a bit odd
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:15 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Had two texts tonight off two people that dont know each other telling me hes gone

That'd be good news if true.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:51 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Had two texts tonight off two people that dont know each other telling me hes gone

It wouldn’t surprise anyone. JM has been more and more involved with the media. I bet someone is already lined up if this is true.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise anyone. JM has been more and more involved with the media. I bet someone is already lined up if this is true.

I think you're correct.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:59 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

you shouldn't read anything into McGuire doing the interviews. It just means Coughlan didn't fancy it. He doesn't like doing interviews particularly.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby robbingdog » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Well he’s picked the wrong occupation hasn’t he, if he
doesn’t like doing press stuff
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Brough » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I think you're correct.

Let’s hope we get some news in the morning...
Brough
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum